What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 (2018) in Trump America???

alien

Referee
The NRL is planning to kick off the 2018 season with rugby league’s first premiership match in America

THE NRL is planning to create history by kicking-off the 2018 season with rugby league’s first premiership match in America.

In a bold and daring move that has the backing of host broadcasters Fox Sports and Channel Nine, the NRL has secretly sounded out interest from Parramatta and South Sydney, to be part of the US-first.

The official NRL competition match would be played on the west coast of the United States on a Saturday evening, which would ensure that due to the difference in international time zones, NRL fans back home in Australia would view the match on a Sunday afternoon.

Boasting high-profile support from the US, both the Rabbitohs and Eels are attractive options to the NRL.

The pulling power of South Sydney co-owner and Hollywood actor Russell Crowe is an undeniable vehicle for the NRL to promote rugby league in the US.

So too, is Golden Globe award-winning actor Simon Baker, best known for his work in The Mentalist, who is a diehard Eels fan.

And despite his most recent headlines, former San Francisco 49ers experiment and Gold Coast Titans fullback Jarryd Hayne would also be used as a ‘face’ and marketing tool, to lure Americans, who have heard of Hayne, but little of rugby league.

324ee92173229553dbdaca1db56e4c80

Hayne NFL could be a gateway for Americans. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar, File)

Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delaney confirmed his appeal in supporting the US-proposal.

“I love the idea of a game in the States,’’ Delaney said.

“Whether it’s the opening round or another round, taking a game to the States is a great idea. We’d love to work with the NRL on furthering the love of rugby league through the world.

“There are similarities between the NFL and NRL, but most ‘Yanks’ would have their jaw on the ground if they saw our athletes operate.

“I know Fox USA would also get right behind us also.’’

Nine’s head of sport Tom Malone added that if the opportunity to promote the game was a positive one, he’d support it.

“We’d definitely consider any proposal on it’s merits, especially something that is important to the NRL like playing a game in the US,’’ Malone said.

“We’d certainly be interested to hear more about the idea.’’

There are currently two scheduling possibilities being discussed within the halls of League Central.

The first option is that the US fixture kicks-off the season on a stand-alone weekend of footy in early March, on the Sunday afternoon prior to the remaining round one matches being played, from the following Thursday night.

35d08d736cd77325fc7e93fb57a51c3d

South Sydney’s Hollywood link could take the Bunnies to America. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

The other option is that the match to played on US soil is staged on the same weekend as the remaining round one fixtures, with the two teams chosen to showcase rugby league in America, then provided with the longest possible time to return home and recover for their round two matches.

If the first option was chosen, the NRL have also discussed hosting their annual season launch back in Australia to coincide with the US-fixture.

Similar to the successful season launch held among fans and members at Martin Place a fortnight ago, live-sites and food stalls would be provided for fans to watch the American-based clash on jumbo screens.

The US odyssey would also be seen as a firm statement by the NRL that the season draw is now in their hands, after more than a decade of being contracted to negotiate with the host broadcaster on when and where games are played.

And already, the NRL are ahead in their planning of the official NRL draw for next season.

e903bd547a0fa09b606275ede499971f

Stanford Stadium is one possible location. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

It’s hoped that instead of being revealed in early December, the 2018 NRL draw will be released soon after the NRL grand final on October 1.

The NRL are yet to identify possible venues for the historic match, however several smaller College football and rugby union stadiums, including Berkeley and Stanford University’s would hold more appeal than that of a major NFL team’s.

The NRL have appointed an intermediary with an intimate knowledge of sports in North America to be involved in the process.

While a premiership match has never been played in the US, Americans have had their share of several teasers.

The Rabbitohs are no stranger to showcasing rugby league in the States having played an exhibition match with Leeds in Florida in 2008.

A State of Origin match between NSW and Queensland was also played in Long Beach, California in 1987, while 13-years ago, Australia avoided one of the biggest upsets in league history by defeating the USA Tomahawks 36-24 in Philadelphia.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/2f56cbbccde4907ffac9230e6f853869

alien

Referee
Another opportunity to grow the Souths brand is a great idea.
I agree bunny bro! I like the idea how it could be on the weekend before the other Round 1 games.

2018 Home games: 9 at ANZ Stadium, 1 in Perth, 1 in Adelaide, 1 in Trump America! You know it makes sense! :D

Rabbits20

Immortal
I agree bunny bro! I like the idea how it could be on the weekend before the other Round 1 games.

2018 Home games: 9 at ANZ Stadium, 1 in Perth, 1 in Adelaide, 1 in Trump America! You know it makes sense! :D
Yep.

Travitoh

First Grade

Shut up and take my money!

CAFPOW

Juniors
Actually, playing in America for Rd1 in 2018 makes sense. If we lose, Madge can say "The trip to the US took a toll on our players". If we lose every game, he can say "Our players never recovered from the US trip".

callmack1

Staff member
Not sure how I feel about this tbh. I love the idea of going to the US and growing the game, growing the the Souths brand and picking up some more supporters however I'm not sure about the actual trip. Surely it would take it's toll on the players.

I guess it if happened the week before the rest of the comp it would be sweet.

DiegoNT

First Grade
So we are looking at playing a game in California, possibly at Berkely.

Not exactly Trumps america lol

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Stupid idea.
Send a bunch of reserve graders for a trial at best.

f**k starting the season proper over in the states. Sends a big f**k you to Australian supporters

Pommy

Coach
As long as we replace either Perth or Cairns with this and its not an additional game out of Sydney I don't mind. For the majority of fans it makes no difference to us playing in the states or playing in Townsville for the first game.

Last edited:

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
Alien great idea but we have a shiiiiit team mate if we were sending over our 2014 team then that would had been a success but honestly we are a rabble in 2017 unless we are buying addo carr, dwalkz,fergo,vaughn and taupau and nathan brown for 2018?....Shadow...

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
lol maybe crowe can buy us some nfl players to add to our 2018 team if we dont buy any other players from australia for 2018 otherwise the eels will just smash us souths are a rabble just look at us now .!.....Shadow...

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
persisting with duds and young fumbling inexperienced players is only a recipe for disaster the proof is in the pudding look where we are on the ladder,if you think by persisting with what we have for a few years you aint got a clue ask wayne bennett or better still ask r20 or cafpow they know im right our team is FUGGEDAMUNDO!!!!FACT....Shadow...

themacemaceman

Juniors
I can't see the point of a game in the USA whoever the teams are.
Is it really going to grow the game over there?
The USA sports market is saturated.
Where would a bloke find time to watch another code.
When I was a single lad I was flat out watching the Yankees every night when i got home from work and didn't have a missus or kids to contend with.

Then there's Basketball , Hockey, NASCAR . I'm not sure when there seasons run.

I guess you could pick up some NFL supporters who dont follow any other sports and are hanging out for some footy action in the off season.

Travitoh

First Grade
I guess you could pick up some NFL supporters who dont follow any other sports and are hanging out for some footy action in the off season.

That'd be my target, the stronger American football markets that are a month or two out of season but without a strong presence of a rival sport. Tennessee or Alabama?

Travitoh

First Grade
Stupid idea.
Send a bunch of reserve graders for a trial at best.

f**k starting the season proper over in the states. Sends a big f**k you to Australian supporters
As long as we replace either Perth or Cairns with this and its not an additional game out of Sydney I don't mind. For the majority of fans it makes no difference to us playing in the states or playing in Townsville for the first game.

We don't exactly pack out every weekend so why not if it brings in more income and potentially members?

Pommy

Coach
We don't exactly pack out every weekend so why not if it brings in more income and potentially members?

Because I don't want to lose another home game and I don't care for membership numbers but if we replace it with our current gift to the cows of playing them in North Queensland then that's fine.