What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Saturday 10th March @ Perth Stadium v Warriors

doyen

Bench
To be fair I think having another forward on the interchange would’ve helped. We looked knackered after about 20 minutes in. I thought the twins and Nicholls played quite well. I have to agree with @Travitoh that it was the errors at crucial points in the game that really killed us. They just took their opportunities better.
If we'd had another 4 or 5 forwards on the bench we probably still would have lost!!

JetRider

Juniors
It is far to early to call it quits, but the ingredient for our improvement is defence. We did not show enough improvement during preseason and again the first match.

callmack1

Staff member
Agree that it's way too early to call it quits. You don't say "oh they're gonna win the premiership" based on Round 1 do you.

Massive improvement is needed though or we'll fall behind.

Travitoh

First Grade
Why the obsession with our defence when the area that lost us the game were errors with the ball? If you want to talk missed tackles, then we were better than NZ who missed 11 more, despite Souths making about 50 themselves.
If we can't hang on to the footy, we're going to make mistakes in defence as a result of the increased volume of work and fatigue that comes as a result.

doyen

Bench
Why the obsession with our defence when the area that lost us the game were errors with the ball? If you want to talk missed tackles, then we were better than NZ who missed 11 more, despite Souths making about 50 themselves.
If we can't hang on to the footy, we're going to make mistakes in defence as a result of the increased volume of work and fatigue that comes as a result.

You're correct when you say our attack was more deficient than our defence.
Our half & hooker struggle to lead us efficiently;Reynolds,in particular,is a shadow of his former self which relies heavily on his kicking game;mostly his goalkicking only now!!
He needs to improve as he has a fine young half in Douehii breathing down his neck.AR needs a run at the Bears to regain his form & confidence!

Bobby Moses

Juniors
Our half & hooker struggle to lead us efficiently;Reynolds,in particular,is a shadow of his former self which relies heavily on his kicking game;mostly his goalkicking only now!!
He needs to improve as he has a fine young half in Douehii breathing down his neck.AR needs a run at the Bears to regain his form & confidence!
I think we were deficient in a heap of areas. I also don't understand the bench options that were played out. However more obvious to me was that the Warriors would have beaten almost anyone on their form. They were outstanding,,,,, we did help.

Dud coach. Too much money tied up in old busted Inglis and the twin duds. Crichton wants to be somewhere else and we will also have some serious depth issues if we have any injuries.

Going to be a long season. We will be a bottom three side.

All those people complaining about Madge having no plan B... At least his plan A had been successful. Seibolds plan A seems to consist of shuffling the ball from one side of the field to the other and back again.

People complaining about Reynolds... can’t put in attacking kicks if we don’t make it past the 40 metre line.

Played exactly the same in the charity shield. Only difference being that the Dragons bombed 4 try’s.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Dud coach. Too much money tied up in old busted Inglis and the twin duds. Crichton wants to be somewhere else and we will also have some serious depth issues if we have any injuries.

All those people complaining about Madge having no plan B... At least his plan A had been successful. Seibolds plan A seems to consist of shuffling the ball from one side of the field to the other and back again.

People complaining about Reynolds... can’t put in attacking kicks if we don’t make it past the 40 metre line.

Played exactly the same in the charity shield. Only difference being that the Dragons bombed 4 try’s.
Well he can't seem to pick an interchange can he?? Clark should've been there!

Murray only played 28mins which is f**ked!!

You guys should also head to the thread of the Norths bears in our forum!

I posted that stats off League Live app in there and they weren't pretty at all!!

If they can't learn to tackle and stop leaking points at will it will be a long season!!!

Some may say oh look the Warriors missed more tackles but we aalways miss the crucial ones and they hurt big time!!

doyen

Bench

I would like to think we are better but I think your prediction is likely to occur.
Madge was on the nose when he got the bullet--we needed a different coach!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
How can you write off a team after 1 game? This is kind of unbelievable. You’d think we got pumped by 40 but we lost by 12 against a red hot warriors side.

At least wait until mid season before we start the meltdown. There was enough in that game to convince me we will see better. We have a completely new backline and they will need a few games to gel together.

Rabbits20

Immortal
How can you write off a team after 1 game? This is kind of unbelievable. You’d think we got pumped by 40 but we lost by 12 against a red hot warriors side.

At least wait until mid season before we start the meltdown. There was enough in that game to convince me we will see better. We have a completely new backline and they will need a few games to gel together.
In fairness to DKOR there are several of us who think it could end a long road.. I'm pretty sure Doyen and Southsport like myself feel the same way!

GI is a concern, AJ is unconvincing, I don't rate Jennings. Cody fades in and out of games, AR is made of glass, Musgrove is going backwards, Sutto may have gone on a year to long, Angus has one eye on the Rorters etc......

There will have to be a big turn around this week.... can I feel a big turn around coming??? Maybe a little bit but not enough of one......

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
In fairness to DKOR there are several of us who think it could end a long road.. I'm pretty sure Doyen and Southsport like myself feel the same way!

GI is a concern, AJ is unconvincing, I don't rate Jennings. Cody fades in and out of games, AR is made of glass, Musgrove is going backwards, Sutto may have gone on a year to long, Angus has one eye on the Rorters etc......

There will have to be a big turn around this week.... can I feel a big turn around coming??? Maybe a little bit but not enough of one......

GI has spent a year away from the game. Did you watch Thurston play? He wasn’t anything special either. Besides I thought Hiku was having a lot of trouble containing GI. Give him a few weeks.

5/8ths aren’t the dominant halves. They’re not supposed to take control of the game. That’s the halfbacks job. He’s a running 5/8th and scored 2 tries on the weekend. I don’t really know what more you want from him?

As for Angus already being elsewhere that’s just bullshit. He has never been good in defence. People were just so blinded by his big runs that they were unable to see that. I literally remember getting into a massive argument on this forum about it. He still can be useful though. I think he ran for over 140m on the weekend in 31 degree heat. That doesn’t seem like someone who’s head is elsewhere.

The problem with deathriding the team after round 1 is that it reflects the same problem we’ve had the last few years. We constantly chop and change and expect better results when the reality is that the spine and the backs need games to gel. I’ve personally never played for a team with new players that clicked instantly.

JetRider

Juniors
GI has spent a year away from the game. Did you watch Thurston play? He wasn’t anything special either. Besides I thought Hiku was having a lot of trouble containing GI. Give him a few weeks.

5/8ths aren’t the dominant halves. They’re not supposed to take control of the game. That’s the halfbacks job. He’s a running 5/8th and scored 2 tries on the weekend. I don’t really know what more you want from him?

As for Angus already being elsewhere that’s just bullshit. He has never been good in defence. People were just so blinded by his big runs that they were unable to see that. I literally remember getting into a massive argument on this forum about it. He still can be useful though. I think he ran for over 140m on the weekend in 31 degree heat. That doesn’t seem like someone who’s head is elsewhere.

The problem with deathriding the team after round 1 is that it reflects the same problem we’ve had the last few years. We constantly chop and change and expect better results when the reality is that the spine and the backs need games to gel. I’ve personally never played for a team with new players that clicked instantly.
Good assessment, I agree that they need time but that could also be the difference between a good and bad season. Let’s see what we get against Penrith as this will show us whether the team and coach have some potential.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Good assessment, I agree that they need time but that could also be the difference between a good and bad season. Let’s see what we get against Penrith as this will show us whether the team and coach have some potential.

I agree. I’m not expecting a win against penrith either though as our record after Perth is quite shocking but it would be a great upset victory. The boys will be keen to get back and prove themselves to the coach though. The conditions they played in were really tough.

handyman2190

Bench
Its ok doyen AR gone this week douihi in the glass has brocken again and he is injured again

Rabbits20

Immortal

Time will tell with GI. I just don't think he will be the same player!

As for Cody well he's gonna have to take the lead now glass man is out again! FACT..

I'd bench Angus. It's not good enough! Murray or Sam to help protect Doueihi on that edge!

Seibs has already said he's not gonna change much this week! Bring someone off the bench to start which I assume is Murray plus bring someone onto the bench which may be Clark! Plus debut Doueihi!

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Our lacklustre defence fatigued us mate.

If you stop the ball runner on/before the advantage line, then your defensive line is set for the next tackle.

If they make 2/3+ metres post contact, then your defensive line is running back 2/3 metres every tackle just to be on side.

When that's happening non stop for 60 minutes, our guys are going to fatigue and when you're fatigued you make more errors.

Errors hurt us, sure, but those errors were caused by the poor attitude/execution in defence.

Fix the defence and the errors will dry up.

truthslayer

Juniors

the negative ninny is at it again..have a look at his previous posts , wants clarke in but rubbishes him in previous posts, same with cody karma is a bitch and i hope it bites you hard on the ass , GO SOUTHS!

Latest posts