What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 V Eels

OldPanther

Coach
Hmm...

PantherPete already picked up on this earlier in the thread.

If you watch the halftime footage, every players head (Including Griffin's) is titled looking at someone off camera. There was an almighty spray, and it didn't come from the coach.

Three guesses who.

Seems Gus has had enough and expects more.

Holy crap MX is Gus lurking the forum!!!

MrBlack

Juniors
[QUOTE=" Edwards overall was damn safe with the ball in hand. Great player. Likewise Bevan French.
[/QUOTE]

Both excellent players. The quality of the bombs kicked to both were high but I don't recall a knock on from either player.

Fangs

Coach
[QUOTE=" Edwards overall was damn safe with the ball in hand. Great player. Likewise Bevan French.

Both excellent players. The quality of the bombs kicked to both were high but I don't recall a knock on from either player.[/QUOTE]

Not from the high ball at least.

Pomoz

Bench
I share Fangs concerns over JFH. He has lost his mojo. We want that aggressive, explosive terrier back. Not over the injury yet?

TheFrog

Coach
Hmm...

PantherPete already picked up on this earlier in the thread.

If you watch the halftime footage, every players head (Including Griffin's) is titled looking at someone off camera. There was an almighty spray, and it didn't come from the coach.

Three guesses who.
You'd give them a spray after the first 15, and again at the point the Eels hit 14, but by halftime the tide had turned. Should have only been 6 behind really. If it was Gus, and more likely than not it was, I'd imagine he'd be quite composed, telling the side all they really needed to do to overrun Parra was get the basics right. And so it proved.

This is a completely different scenario to the '91 GF, when Gus did deliver a spray. That side had completely lost the ascendency leading up to the break. Yesterday, it had largely been wrested back in the final few minutes of the half.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
You'd give them a spray after the first 15, and again at the point the Eels hit 14, but by halftime the tide had turned. Should have only been 6 behind really. If it was Gus, and more likely than not it was, I'd imagine he'd be quite composed, telling the side all they really needed to do to overrun Parra was get the basics right. And so it proved.

This is a completely different scenario to the '91 GF, when Gus did deliver a spray. That side had completely lost the ascendency leading up to the break. Yesterday, it had largely been wrested back in the final few minutes of the half.

Didnt see the footage on fox, anyone have a snip if it was on 9??

ACTPanthers

Bench
Honestly didn't think we were going to come back from that poor start, but we did, so credit to whoever got in their ears at halftime (whether that be Hook, Gus, the senior playing group or a combination of them)

Edwards scared me the first few touches, thought he was going to have a shocker. But he turned it around and ended up playing great.

Maloney was nothing out there and seemed to be more a detriment than anything else. He is a seasoned pro though so hopefully he can turn it around.

McKendry was solid. Took a hit from Hayne(?) at one point, and I thought he'd withdraw a bit, but his next run was hard and straight so the confidence is still there.

Kikau was a beast when he came on. Really turned the tide for us with strong runs and looked a handful for a tiring Para

RCG needs to start. The aggression he has is needed early on in the match IMO.

Really need to work on the slow starts though. Cobwebs should be blown out so next week should see us a bit more competitive in the opening 20.

Pomoz

Bench
He was really good today. Considering his lay off it looked as though he was fresh as.
I was thinking about your point. It has to be said that Hook's attacking structures are average but his changing of our fitness and conditioning regime has really made a difference. This is the first time we have seen Sam under the new regime and he looked better than I have seen him for 3 years. I thought he was done. Yesterday he drove them backwards. The Sam of old, neck injury and all.

I thought Merrin was good yesterday. His running stats mightn't show it but he was very physical, did a lot of work in defence and he got the better of his opposite in Nathan Brown a few times. Right up in his face in attack and defence. Pushing him back a few times too.

Well down to Sam Mac too in his comeback game. I thought he might take time to get going but he played well.

OldPanther

Coach
I thought Merrin was good yesterday. His running stats mightn't show it but he was very physical, did a lot of work in defence and he got the better of his opposite in Nathan Brown a few times. Right up in his face in attack and defence. Pushing him back a few times too.

Well down to Sam Mac too in his comeback game. I thought he might take time to get going but he played well.

Merrin is being used as a ball playing lock. I'm guessing they are looking for multiple points of attack.

Saw a bit of his ball playing yesterday near the line. He almost dropped it while trying to do something fancy. I'd rather he stick to the grunt work. If they want a ball playing lock go Tyrone May when he is ready.

I don’t think they’ll go that way. Hook seems to prefer size, but I would like to see some offloads from Merrin.

May will be very handy on our bench.