What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Knights

Meth

Staff member
What team are we hoping to see?

1- Tuivasa Sheck
2- Lolohea
3- Fusitua
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei (anyone know what kind of shape he's in?)
6- Foran
7- Johnson
8- Vete
9- Luke
10- Gavet
11- Afoa
12- Hoffman
13- Mannering

Res- Lillyman, Lisone, Thompson, Hingano

Rich102

Staff member
Well Foran won't be there and, after the trial, Lolohea maybe won't be either. Gavet hasn't been mentioned much, don't know if he's injured. Don't know if Manu will be fit.
SK may still have a surprise in store.

Meth

Staff member
ok Foran from round 3

Hingano at 6

Ayshford on the bench?

Rich102

Staff member
If we don't want to leak points - Ayshford in place of Tui on the wing.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Id go with Hingano at 6 for this first game, despite not showing much in the nines. Get him developing ASAP. Forans already developed, hes world class.

Big Marn

Juniors
the closest thing to wing/fullback back 3 are RTS, Tui (><???????><)and Fusitua, so i would drop Maumalo and have Ayshford in centres with Kata. Wont happen but thats what i would like to start season with.
Dunno where Manu is at.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
What I think it'll be (pretty irrelevant to what I want it to be)

1. RTS
2. Lolohea
3. Fusitua
4. Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Hingano
7. SJ
8. Lillyman
9. Luke
10. Lisone
11. Hoffman
12. Afoa
13. Mannering

14. Ayshford
15. Gavet
16. Gubb
17. Vete

I presume Bodene is injured, hence his omission. I'd prefer Sipley over Gubb or Gavet but if he's not playing the final trial I don't expect it.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
I dont ask for much in life. Please, please, can we not have Maumalo or Gubb near the team. Pleeeeassse.

RTS
Lolo
Fusitua (If Manu injured, Ayshford)
Kata
Beast (If injured, Fusitua)
Hingano
SJ
Lillyman
Luke
Vete
Thompson (Bunty if Bodene injured)
Mannering
Hoffman

Sipley
Lisone
Bunty (someone else if Bodene injured)
Gavet or another prop

Cold Roses

Juniors
know if Manu will be fit.

Dunno where Manu is at.

5- Vatuvei (anyone know what kind of shape he's in?)

Article on maybe NZ Herald? A couple of days ago said Kearney was expecting big things from Vatuvei this season. Said he's raring to go. Don't remember any mention of an injury holding him back though.

*Edit. Article was RLW online. But it at least had direct quotes from Kearney. Apparently Vatuvei had off season Knee Surgery so may still be recovering from that.

MKEB...

Staff member
Where does Ligi Sao feature in the scheme of things? He is still at the club isnt he?

Penrose_11

Juniors
I can't see Lolohea starting at the moment and see him being used as impact/ cover off the bench. Ayshford definately gets a start for me. If fit, Manu gonna start every day of the week.

I think the biggest questions to answer will be around our propping rotation. Mutalino returns about round 6, so Vete, Lisone, Gavet, Sipley and Gubb all initially fighting over 3-4 spots. I think Gubb is the bottom of that list and Lisone not far off either. If Sipley's fit, he makes my 17.

Love Afoa starting and think he could keep that spot n push Thompson to the bench. Bunty, with those hard running lines of his just offers something our other back rowers don't.

1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Ayshford
4. Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Hingano
7. SJ
8. Lillyman
9. Luke
10. Vete
11. Hoffman
12. Afoa
13. Mannering

14. Lolohea
15. Gavet
16. Thompson
17. Sipley
18. Lisone (as 1st injury cover)

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Our backline just seems much more balanced and effective with Lolohea on the bench

1. RTS (say no more)
2. Fusitua (kick return metres, finishing, safe under high ball)
3. Ayshford (solid in D, can set up his winger)
4. Kata (Bulldozer in attack, solid in D, good metres)
5. Vatuvei (out of trouble metres)

I can't see any position where Tui would be an improvement on what is listed above. Might have been a good chance to get him in at #6 for a couple of rounds and then back to #14 when Foran is back. Hingano can develop further in the Cup.

Kearney has painted himself into a bit of a corner with the "tui is a winger" quote though

Rich102

Staff member
Our backline just seems much more balanced and effective with Lolohea on the bench

1. RTS (say no more)

I can't see any position where Tui would be an improvement on what is listed above. Might have been a good chance to get him in at #6 for a couple of rounds and then back to #14 when Foran is back. Hingano can develop further in the Cup.

Kearney has painted himself into a bit of a corner with the "tui is a winger" quote though

Good points. But I think we are a bit obsessed with fitting lolohea in the squad.
If he isn't the best in the position he doesn't justify the jersey, and his defence alone rules him out of contention.
As far as 6 goes; it ain't going to happen. We have better.
But I prefer Ayshford and Fusitua to Fusitua and Lolohea.

TheDMC

Bench
Same quandary as last year...Where to put Lolohea if anywhere...

Utility cover I still reckon. No doubt he will get a chance of an extended run somewhere when an injury strikes.

I agree with Fufu:

1. RTS (say no more)

Damnit, I'm starting to get hopeful and excited about the season ahead.

Latest posts