What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 V Souths

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Most dangerous game so far this year - form team are SOUTHS along w ourselves. They have a better backine and a very robust forward pack - they do make crucial mistakes which is their undoing sometimes .. This could be a loss coming our way - or a high scoring affair 28-26 - toss of a coin but I do sniff a loss .. :( sorry )
They'll be up for this especially one GREG INGLIS!! sorry Euen.. Your on a hiding to none this week..

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes- I also have a bad feel about this one too - Souths backs are probably even better than the Storms except for Addo-Carr and Souths with Burgess are a long way better than without him. Question to forum- does Mary just overlook the bath Nighty took from the best winger in the comp and hope that it was just one of those days or do we tap Nighty on the shoulder and give someone like Herbert or Pereira who both did really well in Sunday's ISP a chance?

Old Timer

Coach
Each game brings a different set of challenges and you have to adapt to the different skill sets of the opposition.
This is something we failed to do in the last 2 years as we just kept going with the same game plan.
There is no doubt we can play footy, it is all about adjusting to what is in front of us each and every week and that is how we should measure our improvement.
We have already played Souths this year and they will be adjusting to accommodate how we beat them last time, so instead of us doing exactly the same thing, hopefully we will come with a different game plan that they will not have prepared for.
If we do that and win well, which is exactly what we should do, then I have to say we are in a very good place indeed and it will show me that we have learnt much from last year.
If we come out with the same plan and we are beaten, then I have to say any concerns I harbour are justified.
Souths are slick in the outside backs and if we have weakness there they will expose it.
I look forward to watching the game and do so without any preconceived ideas about how good Souths might be I just want to see how good we are.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yes- I also have a bad feel about this one too - Souths backs are probably even better than the Storms except for Addo-Carr and Souths with Burgess are a long way better than without him. Question to forum- does Mary just overlook the bath Nighty took from the best winger in the comp and hope that it was just one of those days or do we tap Nighty on the shoulder and give someone like Herbert or Pereira who both did really well in Sunday's ISP a chance?
If I was coach I would have tapped Nighty on the shoulder last year, but Mary wont.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Each game brings a different set of challenges and you have to adapt to the different skill sets of the opposition.
This is something we failed to do in the last 2 years as we just kept going with the same game plan.
There is no doubt we can play footy, it is all about adjusting to what is in front of us each and every week and that is how we should measure our improvement.
We have already played Souths this year and they will be adjusting to accommodate how we beat them last time, so instead of us doing exactly the same thing, hopefully we will come with a different game plan that they will not have prepared for.
If we do that and win well, which is exactly what we should do, then I have to say we are in a very good place indeed and it will show me that we have learnt much from last year.
If we come out with the same plan and we are beaten, then I have to say any concerns I harbour are justified.
Souths are slick in the outside backs and if we have weakness there they will expose it.
I look forward to watching the game and do so without any preconceived ideas about how good Souths might be I just want to see how good we are.
You raised some good points on here mate especially the bit about we never changed our game plan in the previous 2 years..just went down the same path....its exactely what you stated what we have to do now just play whats in front of you.....every coach has to be prepared to have a different set of structures for different teams.....as for young Siebold hes a mate of my sons and as well as being a terrific young man hes no mug and has a very astute head on his shoulders...take it from me he would have done his homework on us....now its up to Mary to do likewise

Last edited:

gitano

Juniors
Custom%20Image_zpsuvfm9nnw.jpg

blacksafake

First Grade
Have been confident the last 2 weeks but not so this game. I’ve no doubt we can win but the battle will be mentally against a quality side with a lot in their favour. Burgess back, Inglis looking to make a statement along with it being indigenous round which they normally lift for. Graham is obviously injured, JDB did his hip late yesterday & Souths have speed to burn. I’m stating the bleeding obvious but winning the forward battle & controlling the ruck is imperative.

kit66

Bench
Should be a highly entertaining game and yet another tough opponent for us, we've certainly been tested week after week, no easy run for us this year.
Biggest dangers will be Cody Walker and D. Cook, we need to run our big blokes at Walker all day to sap his energy and be ready for Cook's dummy half runs all day.
I'd like to see us get an early lead then really go on with it this time. I get the feeling we're not far off a big win where the boys realize just how good they are and use all the confidence and momentum they've been building up in the last 9 weeks and absolutely belt someone like Storm did to NZ. Not sure if it will happen this week but I'm still confident of a win against the Bunnies.

Saints 13+

Belta

Juniors
Frank Facer said;
"This will be a hard game for us. If I was coach, I would be instructing our players to send a lot of traffic towards Adam Overrated Reynolds. He doesn't want to have anything to do with tackling big hard running forwards. lol His defence has been atrocious this year. I would also be looking at sending players towards him and counting on players either side of him coming in to help him defend leaving holes inside or outside of Reynolds. I am pretty sure that he will be playing on the same side of the field as Frizell. I would also be instructing our forwards to put a lot of legal pressure on Reynolds when he has the ball in his hands or is kicking in general play. He is injury prone too.

I would also be instructing our team to send a lot of traffic towards Gagai, who's defence is suspect too.

I would also be testing Cody Walker indefence too. We have to mark him well in attack, he is their point of attack.

I would also be instructing our kickers to bomb Alex Johnson and to pressure him.

We have to make an extra effort to watch Cook from dummy half.

We have to win the forward battle. They have one of the best packs in the comp.

Sutton has been in very good form this year and we have to shut him down too."

------------------------------///////-----/-/-///////////--------------------------------///////////------------

Some very good points you've raised. On the weekend our forwards smashed Melbournes big men stifling their attack. Now, As you mentioned we face another big pack and need to win the forward battle again.

The other obvious correction that needs to be fixed fast is our edge defence.

We need more involement from Nene this week.

Finally we have to pressure Inglis, I feel he is warming, (origin fever)

hazzbeen

Bench
They are a team that are playing good footy . And they are a team I can't stand , a team of grubs . The biggest of all is Inglis gets away with a lot .

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Frank Facer said;
"This will be a hard game for us. If I was coach, I would be instructing our players to send a lot of traffic towards Adam Overrated Reynolds. He doesn't want to have anything to do with tackling big hard running forwards. lol His defence has been atrocious this year. I would also be looking at sending players towards him and counting on players either side of him coming in to help him defend leaving holes inside or outside of Reynolds. I am pretty sure that he will be playing on the same side of the field as Frizell. I would also be instructing our forwards to put a lot of legal pressure on Reynolds when he has the ball in his hands or is kicking in general play. He is injury prone too.

I would also be instructing our team to send a lot of traffic towards Gagai, who's defence is suspect too.

I would also be testing Cody Walker indefence too. We have to mark him well in attack, he is their point of attack.

I would also be instructing our kickers to bomb Alex Johnson and to pressure him.

We have to make an extra effort to watch Cook from dummy half.

We have to win the forward battle. They have one of the best packs in the comp.

Sutton has been in very good form this year and we have to shut him down too."

------------------------------///////-----/-/-///////////--------------------------------///////////------------

Some very good points you've raised. On the weekend our forwards smashed Melbournes big men stifling their attack. Now, As you mentioned we face another big pack and need to win the forward battle again.

The other obvious correction that needs to be fixed fast is our edge defence.

We need more involement from Nene this week.

Finally we have to pressure Inglis, I feel he is warming, (origin fever)
yeah agree Inglis has started to look a bit like his former self and will have something to prove over Aitken after the last match and with the SOO coming up. Sutton has been killing it too. Got to get at their halves after we've smashed their forwards otherwise it might get tough,

TruSaint

Referee
Yes, they have played ok of late, but who have they beaten.
Newcastle / Raiders / Chooks / Dogs / Manly /

Have lost to
NZ / Penrith / Saints / Broncos.

Barring their win against the Chooks, they havent exactly been tested, and when they have... they have lost.

I understand they are coming good now, but this is a game I expect to win. I was more concerned about the Chooks / Mel TBH.

There is no easy game in the NRL, but purely on form, we should win.

ALSGI

Bench
Battle of the forwards for me will be a cracker. The 2 hookers fighting it out for Origin, Graham and Burgess, Murray and JDB.
Gunna be a belter
Agree mate, it will be a belter.
We should all be able to enjoy the first 20mins, but I’m confident the last 60 will be painful for you lot.