What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROUND 10 v WT

JetRider

Juniors
I thought the team looked better with Cody in the fullback position as he really injected himself well. Noting the Tigers were poor and conditions not the best, let's see how we play against the Storm a true test of our ability.

Travitoh

First Grade
Fui, Rochow and Cherro all stepped up though I thought.

They did but against the Storm and others, having guys like Clark and Turner making tackles in the guts would allow for the three you mentioned to focus their energies more on attack. No disrespect to Wests but last nights pack isn't exactly one of the more damaging getting about in the NRL.

To be fair it was time for Souths to belt you. I think it's the first time in 3 season?
I'm sure I've to 5 or 6 Tigers games and that's the first win.

West had won the previous 4, may have even been 5 of the last 6.

DiegoNT

First Grade
After the last game how stupid do people look blaming Sam Burgess for Souths poor season now?

You all need to realise he is your best player by far and has been the best player this season aswell as last year!
That type of game once every 4 weeks isn't enough for what we've paid him and the trouble we went through to resign.

If he plays like that every 2 out of 3 games then people like me would shut up. He has played that kind of game on a few occasions in the last past 18 months, the problem is the next week he usually goes back to plodding and going through the motions again. He needs to build on last nights game

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
What's your opinion of Brooks?
He can be a solid half with a solid pack behind him. The tags he had as a player of massive potential certainly seem to be incorrect, but with as steady hand in Reynolds next to him in 2018 I hope he can deliver decent form.

doyen

Bench
I think it's pretty clear that our best option for the future is to play Farah for 80 mins & relegate the ballet dancer to a lesser STAGE[North Sydney Oval] to display his mincing danseuses!!!?????

Obviously we need to keep this team;with only one change---a genuine forward for Cook!!

southsport

First Grade
He can be a solid half with a solid pack behind him. The tags he had as a player of massive potential certainly seem to be incorrect, but with as steady hand in Reynolds next to him in 2018 I hope he can deliver decent form.

Yeah, he hasn't stepped up as I thought he would but as you say with JR next year and some new players in the side it might help him.

souths_reborn

Juniors
That type of game once every 4 weeks isn't enough for what we've paid him and the trouble we went through to resign.

If he plays like that every 2 out of 3 games then people like me would shut up. He has played that kind of game on a few occasions in the last past 18 months, the problem is the next week he usually goes back to plodding and going through the motions again. He needs to build on last nights game
That's just it - he does play like this every week! The only difference is that others around him pulled their weight making his performance look more spectacular that what it really was. The reality of life is that rugby league is a team sport; no player can do it on his own! If you put Taumalolo in the South Sydney teams that capitulated against the likes of Manly then he would look just as "ordinary" as Burgess. Similarly, if Burgess was playing for the Cows no one would be questioning his worth because he would be part of a successful team. Overall, I don't think you are going to cut Sam any slack no matter how well he plays! Your criticisms of Sam would be held in better stead if they were directed at our other forwards as they tend to be the "plodders" who are inconsistent!

souths_reborn

Juniors
I think the likes of Woods, Moses and Brooks are massively overrated. People talk about their talent but how long are we going to be towing that line before we actually start questioning their ability. This whole belief that they are young and still learning the game is only valid for the first 18 months of their careers. You've got to remember that these guys - Brooks and Moses in particular, are not rookies anymore. From memory Moses has played something like 60 first grade games and I would say that he is no better footballer than when he debuted. Given that the average first grade career is approximately 14 first grade games, it would not be unfair to conclude that the likes of Brooks and Moses simply aren't good enough. How many times have they lead you guys to the finals? It may seem harsh but footy is a performance based injury and I just think the Tigers are better off without with some of those "stars."

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That's just it - he does play like this every week! The only difference is that others around him pulled their weight making his performance look more spectacular that what it really was. The reality of life is that rugby league is a team sport; no player can do it on his own! If you put Taumalolo in the South Sydney teams that capitulated against the likes of Manly then he would look just as "ordinary" as Burgess. Similarly, if Burgess was playing for the Cows no one would be questioning his worth because he would be part of a successful team. Overall, I don't think you are going to cut Sam any slack no matter how well he plays! Your criticisms of Sam would be held in better stead if they were directed at our other forwards as they tend to be the "plodders" who are inconsistent!

The argument regarding Sam Burgess isn't whether or not he is the best player in the team. Everyone with eyeballs can see he's our best player it's whether he is playing well enough to earn 800k a year. I am biased and I think Sam Burgess is who we can build a premiership team around so I definitely say he is. If we're gonna start looking at people who aren't earning their money we shouldn't be looking at Sam we should be looking at the f**king twins. I can forgive 1 or 2 errors that's fine but tom was dropping almost every ball he ran. Now that's inexcusable for the amount of money you get. The twins are definitely not earning their money. Their contracts should be threatened. We have all these players being paid peanuts that are performing much better than them and are much less error riddled.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I think it's pretty clear that our best option for the future is to play Farah for 80 mins & relegate the ballet dancer to a lesser STAGE[North Sydney Oval] to display his mincing danseuses!!!?????

Obviously we need to keep this team;with only one change---a genuine forward for Cook!!
You say that but next week Cook will be the standout hooker and everyone will be crying out that Farah is a waste of space and that Cook should be playing the entire 80 etc. Let's face it - we are blessed in having two quality hookers and playing both of them has worked well so far this season so why change it? In saying that, Maguire also has the option rotating them based on how they are performing during games. I just don't see what the issue is and why we need to change anything. The hooking role has had absolutely no bearing on why we have lost the games we have this season!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
You say that but next week Cook will be the standout hooker and everyone will be crying out that Farah is a waste of space and that Cook should be playing the entire 80 etc. Let's face it - we are blessed in having two quality hookers and playing both of them has worked well so far this season so why change it? In saying that, Maguire also has the option rotating them based on how they are performing during games. I just don't see what the issue is and why we need to change anything. The hooking role has had absolutely no bearing on why we have lost the games we have this season!

Thank you. I'm so sick of talking about our hookers when some teams don't even have 1 decent hooker. Look at the Bulldogs they would kill to have cook back there.

callmack1

Staff member
Seriously there's no need to be self righteous merkins about winning that game. Tigers had a few injuries as well as their lack of enthusiasm. We can start cheering if we can compete with the best team in the comp, Melbourne storm, next week.
Exactly.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Which other forwards are inconsistent?
Kyle Turner and Jason Clark are the 2 most heavily criticesed, yet they are incredibly consitent. You'll always get your 30-35 tackles and 75-90m of Turner and similar from clark off the bench. For what they are payed we get great value out of them. Similar with musgrove. His a young forward and makes the odd mistake but you know what you are going to get from them.
Guys like rochow, cherrington etc play like the fringe first graders they are and are being payed accordingly.

The 3 burgii are our highest paid forwards.
The twins play more bad games then good. Every now and again they'll play like the old twins, but usually they play flat tired and lethargic and regularly have a shocker like Toms performance last night.
Sam is paid huge money. We've made a lot of sacrifices to sign him back on the basis that a game like last night's would be a regular thing but it's not.
He's performances this year vary wildly. Some weeks he struggles to get over 100m others he makes 200m+ easily. Some weeks it looks like his going through the motions with his hit ups, others he looks like he is trying to run over the top of people. Some weeks he looks like he is trying to hurt people with his tackling other weeks he is barely flopping into tackles.
The performance he put in last night has been a rare thing since his return.

Pommy

Coach

I think its somewhere between your opinion and Diegos. I think Diego normally pans him excessively but last night he certainly improved his own performance on what we have seen of late.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
To be fair it was time for Souths to belt you. I think it's the first time in 3 season?
I'm sure I've to 5 or 6 Tigers games and that's the first win.
Last night was the first time we've bet the Tigers since Round 3 2015.