Round 10 Vs Newcastle

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Buzzard Breath, May 7, 2018.

1. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

Moylan in curreny form would definitely be a downgrade.

Hes not as bad as some have made out. But hes nowhere near 2016 Moylan either. Im glad as it woild br painful to watch if he were.

Not as painful as Carty though. Lock to 6. To brnch. To 6. Now hes dropped altogether.

Its probably in his best interest to play for fun against a lower standard of player and get some confidence back. Although even QLD Cup might be too much for him. He literally got out the way of a tackle he could probably have made.

2. Kev07

Kev07 Juniors

Dribble mate....his minutes are quality but keep spinning it all you want.

3. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

Stats prove it. RCG said he has extra training he does due to his neck. You see him at kids training all good features to have in an experienced guy

Kev07 likes this.
  4. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

You keep missing the point about roles in teams. He's off the bench to play a specific role - keep the middle tight while partnering Leota (mainly). Seriously watch him slow the tackle and ruck and then the speed of his play the balls. These 2 things give us time to set the defensive line and then get on a roll in attack. He does these better than anyone else in the team.

Yes, he gets paid very well - we weren't his only option when he signed. But his impact goes beyond match stats - obviously if the coach plays him more his match stats improve but then guys like RCG, Merrin and JFH lose minutes. Not sure that many saw JFH having the impact he has so far, and Merrin going to prop, which I think have had the biggest impacts on Tamou's minutes.

Is Tamou doing a bad job during his time on the field. I would say no. His stats per minute stack up with, and exceed, the other forwards. So is the reason for lower minutes to play his role for the team, playing at a high level and workrate and leading the pack while Merrin is off? I believe so.

This is the perspective that is missed by looking at match stats. But whoever is playing whatever role, ATM it is working for the team. Why look to disrupt that and for what benefit? Our forward rotation is not an issue.

CCJohnC and Kev07 like this.
  5. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

The only spinning being done is calling thrm quality minutes.

If they were quality he would get more of them

His role is the exact same as the average (non impact) benchie. Give our starting forwards a rest. Unlike RCG he didnt get a special benchie role.

Do you think we planned for our star forward signing to be a benchie for us? There's absolutely no way we had this planned when we signed him. His form or lack thereof is why he is on the bench getting fewer minutes. I am certain Hook and Gus expected far more from him when signing him.

6. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

I highly doubt Tamou will be here in 2019 barring a big change in form. Just chill out for the rest of the year and we won't need to talk about it later.

7. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

If we had a team wanting him and willing to take his wage off our hands I agree. He would be gone in an instant.

But theres no way a team would offer him much money after his 2 seasons with us... and there's no way we soak up much of his contract.

Hes here to stay unless a team gets extremely desperate.

8. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

You do know Martin Lang was a premiership winning forward at this club right? If they wouldn't listen to a guy like him they certainly wouldn't listen to Tamou. Anyway it was just an example.

Pretty much this. Whatever his role he isn't an integral part of our pack. He's just giving a rest to our important forwards and filling a spot until guys like Leota, Hetherington and Lui-Toso are ready for more responsibility.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

Hahaha, thanks OP. I like to start the day with a good laugh.

10. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

I think the Raiders are a chance. They've lost Paulo and maybe losing Boyd. They were also keen when we signed him in 2016.

11. OldPanther

OldPanther First Grade

I get if you think a player on field would contribute more when it comes to teaching players and growing their game but the idea of a forward coach really isn't that far fetched.

12. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

More to do with recency bias among players. He retired 14 years ago - most of our young forwards would only distantly remember bangers charging into the defence. Besides that, he was fairly 1 dimensional. I'm not sure that's the example I'd want the kids learning.

Whereas in recent years they've watched Tamou play Origin, Tests and win a comp as they've aspired to reach the NRL.

Also, a coach (even ex-players) is still a coach. There is definitely a difference in players minds between what they'll cop off a coach or from a teammate.

Pomoz likes this.
  13. umina panther

umina panther Coach

And almost universally be bagged as too soft for rep football. Not being a merkin here, this is the most common opinion of him

14. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

Who bags him as being soft? Other than a few dudes on here? Peter Stirling called him a “Beast, being unleashed from the bench”..... Brad Fittler said that he’s currently playing a vital role of the bench, he comes on at a time when most teams start to struggle in defence, his quick play the balls, in combination with Katoa running from dummy half have the Panthers looking dangerous.

So Stirling and Fittler certainly aren’t bagging him.

15. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Coach

Those guys must be regretting letting Vaughan go. I honestly don't understand how Ricky couldnt see that he was their best forward.

Dragons won the lottery with him.

16. umina panther

umina panther Coach

I'm talking about rep football. Tamou is a good solid NRL prop

17. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

So who is Bagging him? I’m genuinely interested.

18. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

A coach isn't doing the summer slogs and hours in the gym a player does. That is when the players talk and stuff rubs off

19. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Not is, was. He's a FORMER rep player for a very good reason

20. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

Ok, who WAS bagging him? Shouldn’t be difficult to name a few, you seem to think everyone was.