What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Vs the Warriors

kyussian

Juniors
Hard not to be an irate fan at half time but to be 28-6 down with little input from SJ, RTS & Luke suggested the scoreline wasn't reflective of the contest. Tries after a 40/20, kick out on the full, 2xintercepts & a last tackle fluke meant that we were tracking for just one of those days where the footy gods were against us. That try after the buzzer should've killed off our season & the boos were just an understandable emotional reaction to that realisation!!

I'm happy the team bandied together to fight & were finally rewarded a win with a seriously significant second half performance. Hoping the confidence now sticks & they use this as their platform to resuscitate our season.

Other random thoughts:

Yeo - such a lionhearted player who's risen way more than (daresay) anyone expected. Fast becoming a fan favourite. Hope that leg injury is minor

Moylan - stood up this game & displayed the leadership qualities that have been lacking at times. His 1-on-1 tackle against Ayshford later in the game was uncharacteristic but a reminder to him that he can tackle "effectively" if he wants to!

RCG - despite "soft" tags applied to some of our more credentialed forwards it's good to see him lift the team with his kamikaze charges. Since Matagi's exit & Akaoula languishing in reserve grade he seems the only one of our middle forwards capable of threatening a set defensive line this season. He should get better as the season progresses.

Despite wanting a team that plays with more composure & structure (in both defence & attack) upon reflection realised we'll probably never have that sort of team with the players we have after the Blake & DWZ tries yday. Both Blake (didn't pass to support) & Cartwright (kicked to corner instead of going through the hands) played the riskier option - they backed themselves & it paid off. The way we've played this year we likely butcher those, drop our heads & then go on to lose the game. I suppose it's a positive that the confidence to play what's in front of them hasn't totally eroded but hopefully they don't get too loose moving forward.

Soak up the win & take away the positives but best to remember not everything they touch turns to gold so easily! We play ok when we have to attack our way out of trouble but when we need to grind & be patient against the better teams (in less favourable conditions!) will determine if we really have turned the corner or not!

betcats

Referee
Agree re Moylan standing up, he was in everything that 2nd half.

I know we didn't force any dropouts with grubbers in that 2nd half but we did still use the grubber effectively, Cleary almost scored off one and we got the ball back twice, once when RTS fumbled one giving us the ball back and then there was the lucky deflection before Moylans try. It sounds small but both those repeat sets go a long way to helping us maintain the pressure and keep momentum, In previous weeks both those sets would of ended with us meekly handing over possession ten metres out and usually then followed with a soft penalty. It also has the desired effect of keeping defences in two minds when rushing up and shutting us down.

franklin2323

Immortal
We've scored 1 first half try in 4 games. When teams aren't tired and have good line speed the way Hook coaches attack simply doesn't cut it.

We only look good against tired teams. 3 games in a row now we've scored late tries.

0/6 against top 8 sides this year. 3/4 against teams outside the 8. Griffin does not have the skill to coach against good defensive line ups.

to be fair we did give away 2 intercepts. If Bryce and Cleary grubbered instead. We could of quite Easily been up at halftime. Especially when one of those intercepts lead to Blake being sin binned and 2 tries in that time.

It was a similar story against Broncs. Tamou should of had a try. The pass to DWZ was a bad call too. I guess now we see if we improve that stat over the next few weeks

doesn't matter the team if you complete 23/24 sets in a half you will trouble any team. We have a soft run so can really make a run now and test ourselves against better teams with some form behind us.

Peachey is far better off the bench. I just question why he isn't on earlier. I guess it goes with above we want him on against tired teams. JFH/Yeo in doubt. Should see Bryce back in the forwards should either not play

soc123_au

Staff member
Re Dean Whare

Totally agree his 5 year deal is ridiculous. Another puzzling decision by Gus.

To me though at his peak Dean Whare is a centre who sets up his winger. That huge season Simmons had in 2014 was in large part to Whare, his positioning in attack set up many of those try's.

So he may not be a centre who creates scoring for himself but I wouldn't say he's solely a defensive centre.

All that said he needs to go down to reserves to get back his confidence.
On current form one could argue that the Limmo was the making of Whare. I miss the Limmo, he was criminally underrated.

mxlegend99

Referee
to be fair we did give away 2 intercepts. If Bryce and Cleary grubbered instead. We could of quite Easily been up at halftime. Especially when one of those intercepts lead to Blake being sin binned and 2 tries in that time.

It was a similar story against Broncs. Tamou should of had a try. The pass to DWZ was a bad call too. I guess now we see if we improve that stat over the next few weeks

doesn't matter the team if you complete 23/24 sets in a half you will trouble any team. We have a soft run so can really make a run now and test ourselves against better teams with some form behind us.

Peachey is far better off the bench. I just question why he isn't on earlier. I guess it goes with above we want him on against tired teams. JFH/Yeo in doubt. Should see Bryce back in the forwards should either not play
Peachey is far better off in the centres with Blake.

His attack shits on Whare from great heights and his defence isnt any worse either.

Peachey was one of the form centres in the opening month or so. Had a bad game or two and next thing you know he's behind Whare and Hiku who at no point have been better than him.

Its one thing for them to play out of necessity. Its another for them to waltz back in ahead of better players.

Take Whare or Hiku out of the game against the Warriors. Result doesnt change (or maybe we win by more). Take Peachey out and we dont go close.

betcats

Referee
Peachey was doing what he did in that 2nd half all game playing in the centres this year and last. His little 20m runs and half breaks are so valuable to us, we need to get him more playing time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Peachey is far better off in the centres with Blake.

His attack shits on Whare from great heights and his defence isnt any worse either.

Peachey was one of the form centres in the opening month or so. Had a bad game or two and next thing you know he's behind Whare and Hiku who at no point have been better than him.

Its one thing for them to play out of necessity. Its another for them to waltz back in ahead of better players.

Take Whare or Hiku out of the game against the Warriors. Result doesnt change (or maybe we win by more). Take Peachey out and we dont go close.

Did you miss the previous posts about how we need to wear teams down? Peachey on the bench helps our style. I agree Hiku should be no where near FG but the coach likes big wingers

Though the back 3 was epic on the weekend. Blake too. What forward can do what Peachey can?

Despite playing only 35 mins Peachey only 2 forwards gained more metres. The 1st interchange should be a prop off. Merrin to prop then Peachey on get him playing 60 mins and we will tear teams apart.

Peachey only getting 30mins is a disgrace get him more minutes and it is a good move

mxlegend99

Referee
We really wore the Warriors down while they rushed out to a 22 point lead...

Peachey wears teams down. They are constantly scrambling to tackle him and he bounces out of tackles wearing them down.

Hes far more dangerous playing 80 minutes. Our best centres are without a doubt him and Blake.

We gain nothing with Whare at centre over him. His defence isnt any better. His attack is a huge downgrade and he doesnt set his winger up anymore than Peachey does.

franklin2323

Immortal
We really wore the Warriors down while they rushed out to a 22 point lead...

Peachey wears teams down. They are constantly scrambling to tackle him and he bounces out of tackles wearing them down.

Hes far more dangerous playing 80 minutes. Our best centres are without a doubt him and Blake.

We gain nothing with Whare at centre over him. His defence isnt any better. His attack is a huge downgrade and he doesnt set his winger up anymore than Peachey does.

we missed 15 tackles in the 1st half. We were hardly torn apart.

Their 1st try was great just throwing the ball around. They only had field position after Cleary put the ball out on the full.

They got field position from an intercept. Then scored 2 when we had 12 players.

Scored off a kick and finally off an intercept.

So they had the lead but it was our own doing.

Whare is a test player. You name me a coach that wouldn't try to find a way to play them all?

betcats

Referee
Peachey is a constant threat, he looks great popping all over the filed and of course he is more of a threat when teams are going backwards and tired but that swing of momentum and repeat sets might come to us in the first 20 or 30 minutes rather than the last, I still think we gain more from him having him on for the full 80.

OldPanther

Coach
Peachey is a constant threat, he looks great popping all over the filed and of course he is more of a threat when teams are going backwards and tired but that swing of momentum and repeat sets might come to us in the first 20 or 30 minutes rather than the last, I still think we gain more from him having him on for the full 80.

We do but maybe he will become our utility going forward. It would give us someone who can cover everything from the back row/hooker/outside backs and also allow Griffin to use the bench better than he has.

betcats

Referee
We do but maybe he will become our utility going forward. It would give us someone who can cover everything from the back row/hooker/outside backs and also allow Griffin to use the bench better than he has.

He could do this role very effectively I agree I just want him to get more minutes. The only way I see him playing 80 is in the centres.

OldPanther

Coach
He could do this role very effectively I agree I just want him to get more minutes. The only way I see him playing 80 is in the centres.

Yeah he needs more minutes. Mansour coming back will also complicate the issue as there is no way Hiku keeps a wing spot over Mansour/DWZ

franklin2323

Immortal

I agree with that. Seems Griffin wants a back on the bench. Hardaker last year, Hiku for a few weeks now Peachey. Merrin can play prop so no reason we can't get 60 mins from Peachey.

If JFH and/or Yeo is out. Start Peachey it is like having an extra back and makes up for the Cartwright playing halves

mxlegend99

Referee
we missed 15 tackles in the 1st half. We were hardly torn apart.

Their 1st try was great just throwing the ball around. They only had field position after Cleary put the ball out on the full.

They got field position from an intercept. Then scored 2 when we had 12 players.

Scored off a kick and finally off an intercept.

So they had the lead but it was our own doing.

Whare is a test player. You name me a coach that wouldn't try to find a way to play them all?
He might be a test player. But he's not in OUR best 17.

Peachey and Blake are better centres.
Mansour and DWZ are better wingers.

He shouldnt be picked on reputation. His form is shit. His defence is shit. He is a liability. Its that simple. He needs to regain his form in reserve grade. Not kill our first grade side

We did just fine without him last season. Aside from a couple of moments against shit teams he hasnt looked close to first grade quality this year.

When your best defensive back is your biggest liability you know his form is shit.

franklin2323

Immortal
He might be a test player. But he's not in OUR best 17.

Peachey and Blake are better centres.
Mansour and DWZ are better wingers.

He shouldnt be picked on reputation. His form is shit. His defence is shit. He is a liability. Its that simple. He needs to regain his form in reserve grade. Not kill our first grade side

We did just fine without him last season. Aside from a couple of moments against shit teams he hasnt looked close to first grade quality this year.

When your best defensive back is your biggest liability you know his form is shit.

I can't remember any misses from him leading to tries. So how is he killing our 1st grade team? He like Tamou, Merrin, Moylan before the Broncs game are down on form that is why we sit where we do. No one player.

Peachey's problem is he can play in most positions so is the perfect utility. Given the coach likes to carry a back on the bench one 2nd rower in JFH can't get through a game without injury. Another in Cartwright is playing 5/8th. Having that back play backrow too is a must.

When Mansour is back and JFH is fit. I imagine the team make up will change that might include Peachey back as centre

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep - Hard to argue with that.

Form is form and these are our best options. Once Mansour is back of coarse

I think it is more then Mansour back. Peachey may be a second rower if JFH isn't back and Cartwright is still 5/8th. ATM the role for Peachey works but as players get back they will need to re-assess

mxlegend99

Referee
I can't remember any misses from him leading to tries. So how is he killing our 1st grade team? He like Tamou, Merrin, Moylan before the Broncs game are down on form that is why we sit where we do. No one player.
Warriors second try he came in on RTS leaving Dallin with a 2 on 1 and a shitliad of field to cover. Poor decision by him... but it would have been 3 on 2 and probably a try anyway.

Warriors third try he let Ryan Hoffman stroll through him.

Warriors 4th try he stood back not pressuring Foran for his grubber.

Only the 3rd try was a terrible miss from him. The others were hard to make a decision on. But prime Whare was stopping those 90% of the time.

Right centre has conceded 16 tries this season. Left centre has conceded 5. Both wings have conceded 25 each.

Latest posts