What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 Saturday 19th May v Cowboys @ 1300 Smiles Stadium

CliveC

Juniors
Geez you fellers on here really know your RL.
Last night I was mesmerised by our left side attack where GI Dewey etc. were getting good ball resulting in overlaps,our flankers aren't fast enough though.
Then when the ball went blindside Cody was there masterminding breaks too!
Watch Walker and he is talking to team mates and pointing and plotting all the time he appears to be running the backline more than Reyno.
Not putting Reyno down he is getting better with every game!
I am tipping now that if Souths have a fair share of the breaks we could end up in the GF.
With Sam fit we can win a GF.He is the key to our pack..
Just on Tats,Junior that is,this kid has got it,he is only 19 y.o.and playing very well indeed!

Scoopdog

Juniors
Ta
Geez you fellers on here really know your RL.
Last night I was mesmerised by our left side attack where GI Dewey etc. were getting good ball resulting in overlaps,our flankers aren't fast enough though.
Then when the ball went blindside Cody was there masterminding breaks too!
Watch Walker and he is talking to team mates and pointing and plotting all the time he appears to be running the backline more than Reyno.
Not putting Reyno down he is getting better with every game!
I am tipping now that if Souths have a fair share of the breaks we could end up in the GF.
With Sam fit we can win a GF.He is the key to our pack..
Just on Tats,Junior that is,this kid has got it,he is only 19 y.o.and playing very well indeed!
Ts junior is 22 this year

Travitoh

First Grade
I just watched the highlights and boy, we got out of jail there. Definite penalty though and do feel for Granville who just lost a bit of composure in a clutch moment.
That said, Souths got themselves into that position to have a crack at getting a result which is always a good thing to see in a side.

I was a wedding yesterday evening so missed the game but had the scores coming through on my phone and now knowing that we were down two in the second half, helps me understand the scoreline.

southsport

First Grade
I just watched the highlights and boy, we got out of jail there. Definite penalty though and do feel for Granville who just lost a bit of composure in a clutch moment.
That said, Souths got themselves into that position to have a crack at getting a result which is always a good thing to see in a side.

I was a wedding yesterday evening so missed the game but had the scores coming through on my phone and now knowing that we were down two in the second half, helps me understand the scoreline.
The ref was penalising both sides all night when defending their line, Souths didn't stay up on the cowboys line long enough in the second half to get the penalties hence the cowboys crept into the lead, when we finally got down their end we got one and won the game.

callmack1

Staff member
Cody is nearly entirely responsible for our deadly attack on our left side.he goes to the line straight,and in the majority of times,has made sutto look good hitting the lead,or aj,gi and jennings or hunt look great out the back with crisp,well timed passes.at least some credit is due!
Couldn't agree more mate, that was a brilliant play from Cody!! I thought we were gone after the Cowboys forced that repeat set but then Cody came in with that piece of brilliance!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Couldn't agree more mate, that was a brilliant play from Cody!! I thought we were gone after the Cowboys forced that repeat set but then Cody came in with that piece of brilliance!!
I watched it all back bro earlier and I'll give you my summary later on!

Watching George just so so exhausted diving on that ball at the end there in our in goal and then charging onto Cookie' offload and then just on the floor like dead when AR put it over well it brought me to tears. What an effort from George. He put everything in!

Cookie' try also brought me to tears...... wow mate. I always believed in him bro even when he didn't get enough of a go last year. All he needed was someone to believe in him....... Coooookkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee

What's Gagai doing???? f**k he nearly ran out with 30secs left there.. I will discuss more later but I'm not that happy with him at all tbh!

southsport

First Grade
What's Gagai doing???? f**k he nearly ran out with 30secs left there.. I will discuss more later but I'm not that happy with him at all tbh!

I thought he might score down the short side, great move by Gags and it helped get us into a scoring position.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I thought he might score down the short side, great move by Gags and it helped get us into a scoring position.
Very risky though!

His errors coming out of trouble and his defence is dodgy! He left poor Campbell to hang over on that wing. I thought young Campbell covered Gagai' bacon a couple of times.

Not enough shit work from Gags either.

Hunt nearly did double the shit work Gags did

Rabbits20

Immortal
@callmack1 @The Windsor Rabbit time for my review:

I always knew coming off such a high last week and with how much energy we put into that that'd be very hard to back it up up there. It's very humid conditions up there and the Cows were always gonna be tough and really want that win.

When AJ went off with the hammy I was instantly worried about GI at fullback and I still am as of now. As we all know he's lost quite a bit of pace and the strain of playing fullback week in and week out will be no good for his troublesome knee/s. So when AJ is back in a few weeks surely AJ goes to the back again or maybe they can alternate as we need GI out there. It's far too risky as I said permanently at the back for him now!

Then bloody hell Sammy went off and I honestly then felt it'd come down to the wire and I thought we may just get pipped unless there is a piece of magic. I could really see how much we missed Sam out there for what he brings defensively and of course with the tough metres he gains and some creative play we have seen from him lately!

We were just a bit off but that was to be expected especially as the Cows have had the wood over us lately! I thought blokes like Murray and Tatola tackles their arses off but weren't there to make the metres we needed to take the pressure off ourselves!

I was also bewildered at how the Cows when behind kept taking the 2. With our backline having 3 of our guys out they could've really tried to exploit us more but didn't.

It was a lucky escape but the good sides find ways to win those and we are playing with a never say die attitude as well!

These silly errors on tackle 1 need to stop from both Gagai and Hunt. They put so much pressure onto you making them early every week. In saying that though I thought Hymel lifted so I can forgive him!

Cody was trying to create but it just didn't happen as he Cows were awake to it!

AJ: Not much to say as he didn't last long.

Campbell: Ok he let that try in but he did shut a couple down that were in dangerous situations too. The last try the Cows scores if you look closely Gagai was standing too close to AR like not far from his pockets so it left Graham with not much hope. I thought Campbell cleaned up a couple of dicey situations in defusing grubbers as well but at times under the high ball he looked all at sea. Not as busy with the shit work either. It was a mixed bag from him but I'm not gonna be too hard on him as he's still a baby.

GI: Well he was very good controlling things when he went to the back. He looked dangerous just lurking around and sniffing for opportunities which he created but lacked a bit of polish like when he passed that silly pass putting Hunt over the sideline and knocking on that bomb. He made such good metres though. I'd have liked him involved a bit more but can't blame him due to all the extra demand at the back.

Gagai: Well he needs to get these silly errors out of his game. Not sure whether it's a confidence thing or concentration thing but I expect better. I expect much better defensively from him too. He didn't do that much shitwork either or gain much ground. It was like he was going through the motions. For 650k he's not earning that currently.

Hunt: Well these silly errors on tackle 1 need to stop coming out of our own end and it's been a problem ever since he's been with us. He did make up for it though and was safe under the high ball plus he was our best back with the shit work. This is the area he's really improved with on the wing and he made many tough yards last night helping those tired forwards who tackled their backsides off!

Cody: I thought he was white good. Definitely asked lots of questions and was giving it his all. No doubt he will be disappointed in himself for the sin bin for dissent but he will learn from that. What a play from him at the end too.

Reynolds: I thought he was good with his kicking game and his goal kicking got us over the line with such a high accuracy as usual. I thought defensively he was sound again and his kicks for touch off penalties were great touch finders with very good depth. Shame about the kick off out on the full from him but I'll forgive him. Normally it's GI who kicks off but I think he was spent having the extra load at the back.

Tom: Once again played about 40mins which is the constant theme for him. I thought he was strong for us again with strong carries.

Cook: Wow without his try assist for Georgie and his individual brilliant try we don't win this game and for me he was the most influential player on the field. His passing was fast and crisp as usual. He didn't overplay his hand and he made 47 tackles and worked his arse off in the middle. He had some back issues in the warm up I think and a calf issue in the much but he just kept going. I didn't even see that George try coming as it happened so fast from Cookie. His instincts are great when to run too and he cut them to pieces there in the 52nd minute. He's also been cutting out the couple of errors and odd penalty he has given away previously. He's down to a minimum with those and it's the big difference I've noticed lately between him and Mctortoise.

George: He was on fire from the start. Penetrating runs and at 126kg like his brother he's just so big but fit and strong. Growing his hair seems to be working too hahahaha. I just loved his energy in his 2 stints and what a try from him. Then ate the end getting down low to defuse and ground that grubber in the in goal was a big play from home and I don't think some have emphasised that big play enough from Georgie. Then off the back of Cookie" offload near the end he barnstormed onto the ball and gave his all. When AR was kicking the penalty George looked like the most tired bloke on the field such were his efforts. He and Tom have both improved defensively too.

Sutton: Another good performance from him doing those things some don't notice. Strong carries from him and good defensively. Also noticed him really speaking up a there and taking on that leadership role. He was really firing the boys up. I love Sutto the legend!

Crichton: Played very well and ran off those AR balls really strongly. He really put in Angus. He just needs to clean up those silly passes that aren't on. Just focus on holding onto it and putting his head down. Still I'm proud of him.

Sam: He started well in the middle and looked threatening. We really missed him after he went off. We were missing what he brings out there big time.

Murray: He just toiled so hard. Held the middle together as best as he could and played the last 56mins. 41 tackles I think he made. Did some nice ball playing too. Would've liked some more metres from him but I'll forgive him for that.
Douiehi: This is exactly why we need him on the bench and he's come in handy now a couple of times this season. He got caught out a bit giving away some ground but for the most part was fine. Did a good job as a stop gap option out there.
Clark: Worked really hard on his defence. Did his job. Would've liked a couple more hit ups though.
Tatola: Much like Murray and playing extra mins he looked fatigued but kept his head down and kept going and making his tackles. I can forgive him for that knock on. Once again I think like Murray he was too exhausted to make more hit ups.

All in all very proud to escape with the win up there. We found a way and that's what counts! Now to recover well for the boys as we head into 2 extremely tough matches the next fortnight!

When Cookie went over I was in tears and when George was on the ground absolutely spent at the end!

Rabbits20

Immortal
R20, can you keep your posts to 2 sentences please, that last one is too much hard work!
Sorry mate I can't.

It's an in depth review of the match and how I saw it!

I like to go into depth like Callmack does.

Some whinge and nitpick and say I'm not constructive well there they go. Another one of many in depth constructive posts.....

ThingFish

Juniors
White good?

:joy::joy:WOW I think what R20 is trying to say is that he played as good as a white man this week. I could be wrong, and I think it’s quite a racist call, but that’s what it sounds like to me.

PS - Sarcasm for those with little to no sense of humour. Of course R20 didn’t mean that.

Rabbits20

Immortal
:joy::joy:WOW I think what R20 is trying to say is that he played as good as a white man this week. I could be wrong, and I think it’s quite a racist call, but that’s what it sounds like to me.

PS - Sarcasm for those with little to no sense of humour. Of course R20 didn’t mean that.
Thanks mate I don't always re check all my long posts hahahaha!!

I get so passionate about them mate........ once I get going well you can't stop me....

CliveC

Juniors
Anyone count the metres gained by the Cows pack,the week before this appeared to.be a critical stat to an expert I know of?
I always thought the critical stat was points scored?
Open to suggestions!

callmack1

Staff member
@callmack1 @The Windsor Rabbit time for my review:

I always knew coming off such a high last week and with how much energy we put into that that'd be very hard to back it up up there. It's very humid conditions up there and the Cows were always gonna be tough and really want that win.

When AJ went off with the hammy I was instantly worried about GI at fullback and I still am as of now. As we all know he's lost quite a bit of pace and the strain of playing fullback week in and week out will be no good for his troublesome knee/s. So when AJ is back in a few weeks surely AJ goes to the back again or maybe they can alternate as we need GI out there. It's far too risky as I said permanently at the back for him now!

Then bloody hell Sammy went off and I honestly then felt it'd come down to the wire and I thought we may just get pipped unless there is a piece of magic. I could really see how much we missed Sam out there for what he brings defensively and of course with the tough metres he gains and some creative play we have seen from him lately!

We were just a bit off but that was to be expected especially as the Cows have had the wood over us lately! I thought blokes like Murray and Tatola tackles their arses off but weren't there to make the metres we needed to take the pressure off ourselves!

I was also bewildered at how the Cows when behind kept taking the 2. With our backline having 3 of our guys out they could've really tried to exploit us more but didn't.

It was a lucky escape but the good sides find ways to win those and we are playing with a never say die attitude as well!

These silly errors on tackle 1 need to stop from both Gagai and Hunt. They put so much pressure onto you making them early every week. In saying that though I thought Hymel lifted so I can forgive him!

Cody was trying to create but it just didn't happen as he Cows were awake to it!

AJ: Not much to say as he didn't last long.

Campbell: Ok he let that try in but he did shut a couple down that were in dangerous situations too. The last try the Cows scores if you look closely Gagai was standing too close to AR like not far from his pockets so it left Graham with not much hope. I thought Campbell cleaned up a couple of dicey situations in defusing grubbers as well but at times under the high ball he looked all at sea. Not as busy with the shit work either. It was a mixed bag from him but I'm not gonna be too hard on him as he's still a baby.

GI: Well he was very good controlling things when he went to the back. He looked dangerous just lurking around and sniffing for opportunities which he created but lacked a bit of polish like when he passed that silly pass putting Hunt over the sideline and knocking on that bomb. He made such good metres though. I'd have liked him involved a bit more but can't blame him due to all the extra demand at the back.

Gagai: Well he needs to get these silly errors out of his game. Not sure whether it's a confidence thing or concentration thing but I expect better. I expect much better defensively from him too. He didn't do that much shitwork either or gain much ground. It was like he was going through the motions. For 650k he's not earning that currently.

Hunt: Well these silly errors on tackle 1 need to stop coming out of our own end and it's been a problem ever since he's been with us. He did make up for it though and was safe under the high ball plus he was our best back with the shit work. This is the area he's really improved with on the wing and he made many tough yards last night helping those tired forwards who tackled their backsides off!

Cody: I thought he was white good. Definitely asked lots of questions and was giving it his all. No doubt he will be disappointed in himself for the sin bin for dissent but he will learn from that. What a play from him at the end too.

Reynolds: I thought he was good with his kicking game and his goal kicking got us over the line with such a high accuracy as usual. I thought defensively he was sound again and his kicks for touch off penalties were great touch finders with very good depth. Shame about the kick off out on the full from him but I'll forgive him. Normally it's GI who kicks off but I think he was spent having the extra load at the back.

Tom: Once again played about 40mins which is the constant theme for him. I thought he was strong for us again with strong carries.

Cook: Wow without his try assist for Georgie and his individual brilliant try we don't win this game and for me he was the most influential player on the field. His passing was fast and crisp as usual. He didn't overplay his hand and he made 47 tackles and worked his arse off in the middle. He had some back issues in the warm up I think and a calf issue in the much but he just kept going. I didn't even see that George try coming as it happened so fast from Cookie. His instincts are great when to run too and he cut them to pieces there in the 52nd minute. He's also been cutting out the couple of errors and odd penalty he has given away previously. He's down to a minimum with those and it's the big difference I've noticed lately between him and Mctortoise.

George: He was on fire from the start. Penetrating runs and at 126kg like his brother he's just so big but fit and strong. Growing his hair seems to be working too hahahaha. I just loved his energy in his 2 stints and what a try from him. Then ate the end getting down low to defuse and ground that grubber in the in goal was a big play from home and I don't think some have emphasised that big play enough from Georgie. Then off the back of Cookie" offload near the end he barnstormed onto the ball and gave his all. When AR was kicking the penalty George looked like the most tired bloke on the field such were his efforts. He and Tom have both improved defensively too.

Sutton: Another good performance from him doing those things some don't notice. Strong carries from him and good defensively. Also noticed him really speaking up a there and taking on that leadership role. He was really firing the boys up. I love Sutto the legend!

Crichton: Played very well and ran off those AR balls really strongly. He really put in Angus. He just needs to clean up those silly passes that aren't on. Just focus on holding onto it and putting his head down. Still I'm proud of him.

Sam: He started well in the middle and looked threatening. We really missed him after he went off. We were missing what he brings out there big time.

Murray: He just toiled so hard. Held the middle together as best as he could and played the last 56mins. 41 tackles I think he made. Did some nice ball playing too. Would've liked some more metres from him but I'll forgive him for that.
Douiehi: This is exactly why we need him on the bench and he's come in handy now a couple of times this season. He got caught out a bit giving away some ground but for the most part was fine. Did a good job as a stop gap option out there.
Clark: Worked really hard on his defence. Did his job. Would've liked a couple more hit ups though.
Tatola: Much like Murray and playing extra mins he looked fatigued but kept his head down and kept going and making his tackles. I can forgive him for that knock on. Once again I think like Murray he was too exhausted to make more hit ups.

All in all very proud to escape with the win up there. We found a way and that's what counts! Now to recover well for the boys as we head into 2 extremely tough matches the next fortnight!

When Cookie went over I was in tears and when George was on the ground absolutely spent at the end!
Great review bro and I agree with all of your points.

I've watched the game again and gee, at the time, I didn't actually realise what an effort it was for us to get down there in that last set. We really gave it our all and you could just see that the boys weren't prepared to go down, it's good stuff.