What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 v Storm

Dogmatix

Juniors
Souths' attack was terrible again

That is the 5th game this season where Souths have only scored 1 try for the match

Souths are badly missing Inglis, Keary and Luke from their attack of 2014

Reynolds is very one dimensional

JetRider

Juniors
I think our season has been over for a while now and only wishful thinking has allowed it to stay alive. I still believe there is much to gain from the season and that it to ensure we develop players for the future.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I don't think anyone can have too many complaints about tonight's effort. I thought the boys really put in tonight against an opposition that has been the benchmark team for the last few years in the competition. The tries that we conceded were pretty much due to brilliant play by Melbourne rather defensive mistakes on our part. Many people are going to have a whinge about our attack and say it is not up to scratch, however I think the reason why we didn't come up with more points was simply due the high quality of Melbourne's goal line defence. In saying that, I thought we made a massive tactical error in not taking shots at goal when we were continually awarded penalties in front of Melbourne's goal line. Given the inclement conditions and the high quality opposition that we were up against, it would have made perfect sense to take the points when they were on offer - we would have had the opportunity to, at the very least, level the scores!

In terms of the positives from tonight's game, I thought our defence was admirable. Yes Melbourne Storm gave us nothing but we didn't give them much in return either. What was most impressive was how we managed to whether the Melbourne Storm momentum in the first half and keep them from scoring repeatedly. I also thought our forwards really put in a decent shift tonight, as did our hookers. I've said this repeatedly but our hookers and forwards have been decent all season; it has been the defence and our last tackle options that have been the problem! In particular, I think Robbie Farah really did a good job out there tonight. He acts like an extra halfback and most of the questions we asked of the Melbourne Storm defence were a product of his good work. Overall, I thought our discipline was pretty good too. Given the wet conditions, we held onto the ball exceptionally well while still being able to play some attacking footy. Correspondingly, we didn't give away too many penalties either which was really pleasing.

The main area of concern for me from tonight's performance was our last tackle options. Although they have improved from the last two weeks, I still think we could be doing more in terms of earning repeat sets and threatening the opposition goal line. Adam Reynolds' form is improving and its no coincidence that when he is on song with his last tackle plays, we are a much formidable team.

Our best performers tonight were Sam Burgess and Angus Crichton. I think the reason why Burgess gets unfairly maligned on here at times is because his performances are so consistent that nothing surprises us on here any more. Basically, he has lost his entertainment values because we expect him to do what he does week in and week out. Angus Crichton on the other hand is really proving to be a quality player and I love the fact that he is able to combine determination, foot worker and power into his game. I hope that we see him in the red and green for many years to come. Other shout outs go to Cody Walker and Zane Musgrove. In particular, I really like Musgrove's carries and I don't think he is too far away from earning a spot in the run-on team.

While it won't be an easy game, I think if we play to the standard that we have been this last couple of weeks, then we should easily beat Parramatta who will be missing some key personnel.

Rabbits20

Immortal
souths have a shiiit team check the ladder.....Shadow...
Most of them put in though tonight Shadow.

If we had GI there I think we would have won.

I thought Cody didn't get involved enough tonight and seemed disinterested.

Crichton and Sam need more help!!!! They will get an injury otherwise with this workload.

Turner needs a rocket up him. He went missing far too much. He is not doing his job for the team.

Rochow was disappointing tonight.

Cook should have come on a bit earlier. I think if AR was there when Cook came on things could've been different.

We just missed GI a lot tonight.

A Storm player should've been out in the bin too. They slowed it up so much more than what we did.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Goodwins defence was extremely poor then only a fool would deny that.
We just got caught out for numbers imo.

Oi CAFPOW I haven't given up on this season yet.

It's do or die though against Parra.

We are currently holding onto a tree branch CAFPOW that seems it could give way in the near future.

If we get a win against Parra and really fire up against the Broncos it's not all over yet.

Crichton and Sam are doing it all pretty much. They need more help.

I thought Musgrove was solid and he needs to stay there over Murray.

callmack1

Staff member
Tough game tonight. It was always going to be hard facing a Melbourne side with them coming off the loss but we went alright.

I thought we really hung in there and put in a lot of effort. We were playing the 1st place side and kept them to a low score. Apart from that first try, defence was really good which is pleasing.

We could have won this game but fail to take our chances. We threw everything at them and created a few opportunities but just couldn't finish them off. That was the difference between the two sides tonight.

Walker: A bit too quiet. The touches he had were good and he looked dangerous but he just didn't have enough of them! That hurt our attack. He was safe at the back tonight.

Johnston: Again a bit quiet. Just didn't get enough touches. In saying that, the few he did have weren't bad. How good was his try saver on Vunivalu? Brilliant!

Goodwin: Not bad. Looked shaky in defence early on but recovered well. He had some good runs to get us out of trouble and eventually came up with some good tackles on the edges.

Hunt: Solid. Strong runs and some nice defensive plays limiting their opportunities. He put Munster under a lot of pressure at times.

Gray: Good. Tough running and was very safe at the back. Got caught out once for Addo-Carr's try but I can forgive him for that.

Sutton: Allgood. I like Sutto back at 5/8 he lead us round well and created a few opportunities for the outside backs. His try was amazing, great running, great strength. Needs to work on his kicking game though. Poor kicks towards the end cost us.

Reynolds: Great. Directed us well and built pressure with his kicks which is what we need. His defence was awesome throughout the game too. We really missed him when he had to come off.

T.Burgess: Better than last week. Still wasn't where I'd like him to be, made a sloppy error at a crucial time but he was certainly better than last week. Good runs and made some crucial tackles. Still want more and better discipline too.

Farah: Was good. Should now get picked for Origin. I thought he controlled the game beautifully. He kept their defence guessing and took pressure off Reyno. We look a lot better with him at 9.

Rochow: Another solid game from him. He ran with purpose and did a lot of work.

Turner: Didn't notice him an awful lot tbh. He was fine but I just want more output from him.

Crichton: Again was great. He's such a great ball runner, he'll pick out a weak spot in the line and just run at it full tit. Asked plenty of questions of the Storm's defence tonight. One of our best.

S.Burgess: Another inspirational performance. He was awesome. Took hit up after hit up and they were all quality. Another really good game, we just need more of the pack to go with him.

Cook: He wasn't bad but he didn't change the game. He's beginning to take tackles but imo we are better off with just Farah. It'll be good to see how he goes next week as he'll probably play 80.

Fuimaono: Not as much impact but still good. He was a lot of power and he had some good runs where he really got the legs pumping.

Cherrington: Didn't have many runs but he did look good. Ran really hard and got a few quick play-the-balls.

Musgrove: Was good. Made solid meters from good old fashioned running.

We're not there yet but all in all I'm happy with the performance. We took a top team down to the wire and played reasonably well which needs to be acknowledged. Just need more punch.

Looking forward to next week. We must start getting consistent results.

callmack1

Staff member
Just to add: Our attack while it wasn't at it's best, it wasn't bad. It's a shame we were playing the best defensive side. Any other team and we may have cracked them.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Did one of the commentators called Cook, Damien "Headless Chook" Cook?
Yes Corey Parker made the comment that against the Tigers Souths lost their way when Cook came on and looked like a headless chook.
Interesting to hear the honest opinion of a former player whose just left the game as opposed to the keyboard experts on here.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Souths' attack was terrible again

That is the 5th game this season where Souths have only scored 1 try for the match

Souths are badly missing Inglis, Keary and Luke from their attack of 2014

Reynolds is very one dimensional
Mate Luke's half the player he was
Back then.We saw the best years of him.
If we had Luke right now I don't think it would make much difference.

Curns13

Juniors
Yes Corey Parker made the comment that against the Tigers Souths lost their way when Cook came on and looked like a headless chook.
Interesting to hear the honest opinion of a former player whose just left the game as opposed to the keyboard experts on here.
Andrew Johns also called him the most improved player in the comp 3 weeks ago. Its seems even the 'experts' are divided.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
We didn't really stand a chance against the storm tonight. God walker didnt really play like a man after an upgrade tonight.. I think the boys did well to stay in the game. We gave away stupid penalties on last tackle or middle of tackle sets. We're our own worst enemy right now. Sam Burgess and crichton are absolute fire though.

Rabbits20

Immortal
There has been a couple of guys on here in the last say our back rowers job/s is to not make many metres but be decoys and make tackles.

Let me say that, that is complete trash.

Crichton is putting that comment to shame. Crichton is a goer. Crichton goes looking for work and his instinct is he wants to run hard.

As for Turner imo he isn't a goer. He does not get involved anywhere near as much as he needs to. He is doing the bare minimum and it's becoming very frustrating.

He played 68mins Turner so no excuses.

Crichton made two 250percent more metres than Turner and nearly double the amount if tackles.

Sam made 300percent more metres than Turner and nearly double the amount of tackles.

Turner also can't break the line and is pedestrian.

Fuimaono is a much better prospect.

Oh but the don't knowers can't see sense on this one..........

CAFPOW

Juniors
Madge needs to fix our centres and wingers. Why are they running backwards during defence instead of sliding sideways?

Also, he needs to fix their confidence. Hesitating in passing because of being afraid to make a mistake will cost us more games.

Latest posts