What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Tigers

getsmarty

Immortal
Tyson Frizell injury update
Sat 3rd June, 06:00PM
A A

1496477722281.jpg;pvc2a261f02c7e839a

St George Illawarra Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth has provided the following update in regards to Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell, who went off injured in the second half against the Wests Tigers.

"Tyson Frizell copped an elbow to his pectoral in the second half against the Wests Tigers," Pickworth said.

"As he is in a fair bit of pain, we want to send him to the hospital for an x-ray for a possible rib fracture. Once we have that scan it'll tell us more information and we'll do any other follow up scans after that."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/03/tyson_frizell_injury.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons outlast Tigers to notch back to back wins

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

3 Jun 2017, 6 p.m.
r0_0_3000_1999_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAR MAN: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop scored a first-half double on his return from injury against the Tigers on Saturday. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra welcomed back their two biggest stars in style, with Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan both playing starring roles in the Dragons 16-12 victory over Wests Tigers on Saturday.

Widdop made an early return from a knee injury suffered in the Dragons Anzac Day loss to the Roosters and looked like he’d never been away, scoring a first-half double and kicking two goals to single-handedly lead the Tigers 12-2 at halftime.

It was Dugan’s first game for the club since fracturing his cheekbone in the mid-season Test four weeks ago, and his first since announcing he will depart for Cronulla at season’s end – a dispute with the Dragons over his positional future playing no small part in his departure.

All indications are he’ll play in the centres for the Sharks next season but, for now at least, he remains one of the premier fullbacks in the competition, evidenced by his 163 run metres just three days after playing in NSW’s Origin I victory on Wednesday night.

The Tigers own star No. 1 James Tedesco worked hard but couldn’t repeat his Origin heroics, while the inclusion of mid-season recruit Tui Lolohea failed to spark the visitors lacklustre attack, though they gave themselves a chance at victory with a 77th-minute try to Michael Chee Kam.

The win may yet come at a cost with Tyson Frizell, who was also strong backing up from Origin, leaving the field in the 58th minute with a chest injury and not returning.

It was the first time the Dragons’ two biggest attacking aces had played together since their round-eight loss to the Roosters, a fact not lost on coach Paul McGregor post-match.

“I thought Gaz was the form player of the competition before his injury,” McGregor said.

“He’s done a lot of work over the past five weeks to come back a week early and I’m glad he did because he led the boys well.

“He’s a total professional in the way he prepares himself to play well and the boys get a lot of confidence around Gareth because he’s the type of player who instills that in everyone.

“I thought the guys that came back after a tough game on Wednesday night need special mention.

“Duges had five try saves and ran for 170 metres at the back and I thought Tyson, before he got injured and came off did a lot of tough work as well.

“I always say it’s hard to pick out individuals but there were a couple of special performances there.”

McGregor was unsure of the extent of Frizell’s injury, with the Blues back-rower taken to hospital post-match as a precautionary measure.

"Tyson copped an elbow to his pectoral in the second half," club performance head Nathan Pickworth said.

"As he is in a fair bit of pain, we want to send him to the hospital for an x-ray for a possible rib fracture. Once we have that scan it'll tell us more information and we'll do any other follow up scans after that.”

Dugan was also left clutching at his right knee after an awkward tackle in the 63rd minute, but played out the match making a crucial try-saving tackle on Tedesco with the game in the balance.

Widdop got across for the opening four-pointer in the 13th minute, finishing off a shift that went sideline to sideline to open the scoring in the left-hand corner. He slotted the sideline conversion for a 6-0 lead.

Dugan crossed for what looked like the Dragons second 12 minutes later after a break from Jack de Belin, only to be denied by the bunker which found the Dragons lock was offside at the play-the-ball 80 metres back downfield.

Widdop wouldn’t be denied just minutes later, swooping on a dropped ball from Kyle Lovett and racing 60 metres to score his second try of the afternoon. He added the extras for a 12-0 lead with 10 minutes to play in the opening stanza.

Lolohea slotted a penalty goal on halftime for the Tigers first points after Joel Thompson was ruled to have tripped up Tedesco as he chased a kick moments before the siren.

Kevin Naiqama scored seven minutes after the resumption with Lolohea’s attempted conversion waved away, leaving the Dragons with a six-point buffer at 12-6.

The revival was short-lived with Frizell charging onto a deft short-ball from Hame Sele to post his side’s third four-pointer and extend the lead back out to 10 with 30 minutes to play.

The Tigers finally hit back through Chee Kam, after a break from Tedesco, to give themselves a sniff with three minutes left on the clock, but the Dragons were good enough to close the show.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4705881/widdop-stars-on-return-for-dragons/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Tyson Frizell taken to hospital after suffering a rib injury against Tigers
James Phelps, The Daily Telegraph
June 3, 2017 6:52pm
TYSON Frizell could be denied a chance to help NSW seal State of Origin revenge after the Blues forward was taken to hospital after St George Illawarra’s win over the Tigers.

One of four Blues stars who backed up at ANZ Stadium on Saturday — alongside Dragons teammate Josh Dugan and Tigers duo Aaron Woods and James Tedesco — Frizell was taken from the field in a blow that could stop him from suiting up for game two on June 21.

Just three nights after celebrating NSW’s emphatic win over the Maroons, Frizell was left bruised, battered and possibly broken after the first-half hit ended his game early.

Frizell was rushed to hospital for scans on his chest.

b01d4c9a3f93857e45c15b75572794b2

Tyson Frizell goes off with a rib injury. pic Mark Evans
“I am not sure (of the extent of the injury),’’ Dragons coach Paul McGregor said.

“But he wasn’t singing the song real loud. It looked like he was in a lot of pain. I am not sure but it was a challenging week for him and a tough game.’’

The Dragons revealed Frizell could have suffered a broken rib while attempting to tackle Tigers prop Tim Grant.

“Tyson Frizell copped an elbow to his pectoral in the second half against the Wests Tigers,” Dragons athletic director Nathan Pickworth said.

“As he is in a fair bit of pain, we want to send him to the hospital for an x-ray for a possible rib fracture. Once we have that scan it’ll tell us more information and we’ll do any other follow-up scans after that.”

McGregor praised his two returning NSW players after standout performances.

“I though the guys that game back to us after a tough game were outstanding,’’ McGregor said.

“I have to make a special mention. Dugan made five try-savers. And Tyson, before he was injured, did a lot of tough work as well. It was a shame he had to come off. It is hard to pick out individuals but there was a couple of special performance there.’’

Woods and Tedesco led by example for the Tigers but the skipper downplayed his efforts. “I am a front-rower,’’ Woods said. “I just got out there and did my job.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2bd31ac1512e4856765a3482b8d92a06

Whe
I wish McDonald would contest the ball in the air more instead of just hanging his arm out.....its a bad habit he has in this area...hes tall enough just needs some coaching...if I was Mary I'd seek the help of an AFL player or similar
When McDonald joined us he had big wraps on him regarding is ability to contest bombs in and around the in goal area.
To be honest, he doesn't even look like catching or batting back anything he contests.
What a bonus that would be but he looks unco and doesn't really time his jumps at all.
It doesn't help that our kicking game is not up to scratch.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Although by no means a polished performance, this was the type of close struggle the Dragons have capitulated in many times post 2011.

Widdop showed his class today....the best is still yet to come!

On a downturn, the game perfectly illustrated what massive losses Dugan and Packer will be from next year onwards.

Club management really need to find adequate replacements for these two, otherwise the side will only make up the numbers in 2018.

Crescent dragon

Juniors
Happy to take the win but they were very flat today after the bye/origin.
I hope it was just an off day cause that sort of footy will lose to all the top teams. Duges tried hard though and widdop was great for a first game back.[/
Although by no means a polished performance, this was the type of close struggle the Dragons have capitulated in many times post 2011.

On a downturn, the game perfectly illustrated what massive losses Dugan and Packer will be from next year onwards.

Club management really need to find adequate replacements for these two, otherwise the side will only make up the numbers in 2018.

Crescent dragon

Juniors
Spot on with Packer
This was his best game for the Dragons. I have been a fan but thought it was big money the Tigers threw at him. His performances last year were average but this year, enormous.
Yes we do need a replacement for Packer, one as hard and fearless but where?
The juniors will come through but not yet, some tough decisions

ALSGI

Bench
Duges is an enigma, played so well yet his failure to pass inside to Mann was inexcusable. That's the sort of run he created from nothing right at the back, got away, slowed badly then failed to pass. Looking at it a few times, I can only imagine what Dufty or Field would have done but I doubt Mann or the Defence could have even kept up with them. His disallowed try was again great work but throw Dufty or Field in the same situation, especially in broken play situations and I can only imagine. Can they defend ? They certainly can in reggies.

McDonald - great big body and speed but seriously our coaching staff have to either do something with his D or hook him.

Widdop - great to see him back and in very nice form.

Friz - great game and we're going to miss him against the grubs but we have the forwards to beat them.

All in all, credit to Mary and the squad, lot's of room for improvement but great time to be a Dragons supporter.

FlameThrower

Bench
Although by no means a polished performance, this was the type of close struggle the Dragons have capitulated in many times post 2011.[/B]

Good point, while scrappy and rusty, the Tigers fight back and no try to us would have killed us in the past...

Old Timer

Coach
Duges is an enigma, played so well yet his failure to pass inside to Mann was inexcusable. That's the sort of run he created from nothing right at the back, got away, slowed badly then failed to pass. Looking at it a few times, I can only imagine what Dufty or Field would have done but I doubt Mann or the Defence could have even kept up with them. His disallowed try was again great work but throw Dufty or Field in the same situation, especially in broken play situations and I can only imagine. Can they defend ? They certainly can in reggies.

McDonald - great big body and speed but seriously our coaching staff have to either do something with his D or hook him.

Friz - great game and we're going to miss him against the grubs but we have the forwards to beat them.

All in all, credit to Mary and the squad, lot's of room for improvement but great time to be a Dragons supporter.
Re Duges to Mann if not mistaken Mann was covered on the inside with defence coming across on his blindside to shut him down.
One thing I have noticed with Dugan is he never ells the dump (probably because he doesn't pass that much) but if he thinks that the player beside him is going to get tackled shortly after delivering him he pass he prefers to soldier on for as many meters as he can himself.
Many other players throw the pass and the catcher gets tackled without much else happening which is just one more opportunity of losing the ball.
I think this is somehow part of Dugan's philosophy.

Old Timer

Coach
Whe

When McDonald joined us he had big wraps on him regarding is ability to contest bombs in and around the in goal area.
To be honest, he doesn't even look like catching or batting back anything he contests.
What a bonus that would be but he looks unco and doesn't really time his jumps at all.
It doesn't help that our kicking game is not up to scratch.
Certainly has not lived up to the hype nor the youtube clip of him at the Titans.
His defence is highly suspect, maybe because we have him on his non preferred side which I just don't understand and leads me having negative thoughts re the coaching staff.

mickeylane

Bench

You are joking aren't you !? Making up numbers? Dugan plays 15 games a year and packer is one of 4 props on rotation.
One of the best no 7 in the world to come and the team will be 12 months more experienced and we are going to struggle next year!?
I doubt it

ALSGI

Bench
Re Duges to Mann if not mistaken Mann was covered on the inside with defence coming across on his blindside to shut him down.
One thing I have noticed with Dugan is he never ells the dump (probably because he doesn't pass that much) but if he thinks that the player beside him is going to get tackled shortly after delivering him he pass he prefers to soldier on for as many meters as he can himself.
Many other players throw the pass and the catcher gets tackled without much else happening which is just one more opportunity of losing the ball.
I think this is somehow part of Dugan's philosophy.
OT
Mann would have been away untouched, and even if duges beat his man would not have made it to the line.
Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Old Timer

Coach
OT
Mann would have been away untouched, and even if duges beat his man would not have made it to the line.
Anyway, onwards and upwards.
I was a long way away from it and end on so difficult to see but I accept what you say as gospel. No doubt Duges would not have made the line even beating his man.
Me being me though I will have a sneaky look at the replay later today.
As you said he is an enigma and its hard to evaluate all the +'s & -'s.
One thing I know is that in the grey area outside your own 20 he is by far the best defensive full back going around and the saves he made yesterday would have been tries if had of been Tedesco who is great on the goal line but shocking when in the grey area where you have to actually make a decision.

hazzbeen

Bench

Mate now we will see what sort of coach Mary really is . There is a lot of improvement lets hope he pull the right strings . Need to start beating the top sides again , Here we come GO THE SAINTS ....

Old Timer

Coach
You are joking aren't you !? Making up numbers? Dugan plays 15 games a year and packer is one of 4 props on rotation.
One of the best no 7 in the world to come and the team will be 12 months more experienced and we are going to struggle next year!?
I doubt it
You had Tigpies in for a thrashing and you called them pretty much lame and limp and we would put 40 on them so credibility is not so good.
Dugan and Packer 2 of our best yesterday so if you don't get like for like and we put in similar performances for sure we will struggle next year.
Everyone else is recruiting hard and adding to their rosters and who have we signed to replace anyone?
Hopefully we sign no one and we can do it from within but unfortunately our policy re blooding players never allows us to draw such a conclusion.
Sele is being blooded nicely but does not play in the key positions where we have lost 2 internationals who are part of the cement that holds our team together.

Latest posts