What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Titans

doyen

Bench
One positive to come out of the game was the debut of Siosifa Talaki, some blokes sitting near me at Souths Juniours had big raps on him and he looks the goods to me.

Talaki is very impressive-- he should be persevered with & encouraged from now on!!

alien

Referee
in the media conference, madge said that keary should be ok. he only twisted his ankle, and he was only using crutches to take the weight off his ankle, just as a precaution

doyen

Bench
in the media conference, madge said that keary should be ok. he only twisted his ankle, and he was only using crutches to take the weight off his ankle, just as a precaution

Hope he's OK--he makes a helluva difference to our side--adds substantial spark from the bench--a game-breaker!!

southsport

First Grade
Once again proving you don't understand the rules of rugby league. It was a one on one tackle you f**king coward.

Disgraceful personal attack.

And what a disgrace that is. Once again souths are protected species.

Well you must have got it wrong, they've obviously looked at it and said "no case to answer" go and take your meds and have a lay down ffs.

southsport

First Grade
I do take it very seriously like Shadow does. I'm very very very very passionate. I can't help it Southsport. I'm a bunny through and through.

All families have their problems and everyone has problems in general.

You probably have problems.

I won't go it into my story (if I have one that is).

No point in getting down about it though, in a short time it will be nothing but a memory and it won't worry you much so why worry about it at all. ;-)

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm just happy to be able to watch the game, in 2013 the doctors told me I was going blind........a win is just a bonus for me. ;-)

That is a good way of looking at it.

I guess I can greatful that I have work off and some others can't.

I guess we can also say it's great we have our Bunnies to support no matter what.

alien

Referee
what do you guys think about trying this lineup:

1. inglis
2. auva'a (right)
3. goodwin (right)
4. walker (left)
5. johnston (left)
6. keary
7. reynolds
8. tom burgess
9. mcinnes
10. tyrrell
11. carter
12. turner
13. sam burgess

14. cook
15. talakai
16. brown
17. clark

(injured: george burgess, musgrove, sutton, hunt, gray, oldfield, crichton)

souths_pride

Juniors
what do you guys think about trying this lineup:

1. inglis
2. auva'a (right)
3. goodwin (right)
4. walker (left)
5. johnston (left)
6. keary
7. reynolds
8. tom burgess
9. mcinnes
10. tyrrell
11. carter
12. turner
13. sam burgess

14. cook
15. talakai
16. brown
17. clark

(injured: george burgess, musgrove, sutton, hunt, gray, oldfield, crichton)
The last thing we need to do is to change the lineup. The only that will do is create instability. Even though we lost, we look far better, especially in attack, than what we did in the early rounds when we lost 4 straight games. Our problems in the game against the Titans had nothing to do with the personnel selected or a lack of quality; it was to do with concentration levels and being careful in the execution in both attack and defence. Basically, you can have the best team in the world but if they are reckless and drop the ball, not complete sets and switch off in defence then they will be at the mercy of a weaker team who can do all of those things. Hence, I would persevere this line up at least for a few more rounds and see where it leads up. I thought it was a bit unfortunate that we were coming off a bye and hadn't played in 2 weeks. It basically killed any momentum that we were starting to generate and resulted in a bit of rustiness.

alien

Referee
The last thing we need to do is to change the lineup. The only that will do is create instability. Even though we lost, we look far better, especially in attack, than what we did in the early rounds when we lost 4 straight games. Our problems in the game against the Titans had nothing to do with the personnel selected or a lack of quality; it was to do with concentration levels and being careful in the execution in both attack and defence. Basically, you can have the best team in the world but if they are reckless and drop the ball, not complete sets and switch off in defence then they will be at the mercy of a weaker team who can do all of those things. Hence, I would persevere this line up at least for a few more rounds and see where it leads up. I thought it was a bit unfortunate that we were coming off a bye and hadn't played in 2 weeks. It basically killed any momentum that we were starting to generate and resulted in a bit of rustiness.

fair enough. i'm not convinced gi should be five eighth though

souths_pride

Juniors
fair enough. i'm not convinced gi should be five eighth though
Its a good move play Inglis at five-eight for two reasons. Firstly, it allows him to get on the ball more up in the line at second receiver without him having to go looking for it or rely on his halves to give it to him. If one thing has been confirmed to us in the opening rounds it is that Luke Keary and to an extent, Adam Reynolds, lack the ability to integrate Greg Inglis into the play in positions which best suit his skill set. Hence, moving him to five-eight fixes that problem. The second benefit of playing Inglis in the halves is that it allows Cody Walker to play fullback and run the ball more. Walker is at his best with the football in his hands and playing him at fullback give him that opportunity at least once in every set of six. Moreover, he doesn't have the pressure on him of integrating others into play at fullback as he would as if he was in the halves. Additionally (and I'm surprised that the likes of Doyen hasn't mentioned this), Walker is a brilliant second phase player and a broken field runner. I don't think its a coincidence that we have started offloading more since Walker's move to fullback. Playing Walker at fullback would put him in a positions where he can hang out the back and support players who offload, sort of like Ben Barba did when he scored all those tries in 2012. Finally, I think given that Walker is fairly inexperienced in first grade, making things as easy for him as possible as well as maximizing his skill set is best for his football development; playing him at fullback will most certainly satisfy this criteria.

doyen

Bench
Its a good move play Inglis at five-eight for two reasons. Firstly, it allows him to get on the ball more up in the line at second receiver without him having to go looking for it or rely on his halves to give it to him. If one thing has been confirmed to us in the opening rounds it is that Luke Keary and to an extent, Adam Reynolds, lack the ability to integrate Greg Inglis into the play in positions which best suit his skill set. Hence, moving him to five-eight fixes that problem. The second benefit of playing Inglis in the halves is that it allows Cody Walker to play fullback and run the ball more. Walker is at his best with the football in his hands and playing him at fullback give him that opportunity at least once in every set of six. Moreover, he doesn't have the pressure on him of integrating others into play at fullback as he would as if he was in the halves. Additionally (and I'm surprised that the likes of Doyen hasn't mentioned this), Walker is a brilliant second phase player and a broken field runner. I don't think its a coincidence that we have started offloading more since Walker's move to fullback. Playing Walker at fullback would put him in a positions where he can hang out the back and support players who offload, sort of like Ben Barba did when he scored all those tries in 2012. Finally, I think given that Walker is fairly inexperienced in first grade, making things as easy for him as possible as well as maximizing his skill set is best for his football development; playing him at fullback will most certainly satisfy this criteria.

I agree with all you say here.

We are getting the balance right---Cody is suited to F/B;he's a very dangerous player running the ball. He is inexperienced in the F/B role but he's shown enough already to be given a chance to cement his spot there!

GI is best for us now at 5/8 where he can control the play more efficiently.

alien

Referee

Walker is going well at fullback. I had a feeling he would.

Inglis gets plenty of ball at five eighth, but the opposition defense are covering him pretty well. Inglis looks more dangerous out wide against smaller defenders. They just have to make sure they give him enough good ball. We could have a very good attack on the left edge if we have AJ at left wing, GI at left centre, and Walker on his inside (as a fullback). I feel Keary should be on the field for 80 mins. Keary has a nice short ball, but it's just a shame we don't have a lot of second rowers who are good at running onto the ball and into a gap. Grevs was good at it, but his attitude turned shit. Sutton is injured. Talakai is an option, and I'd keep him on the interchange for now.

Last edited: