What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 Game vs Newcastle

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons chase down Knights
Sun 25th June, 04:00PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have produced a remarkable 32-28 comeback victory over the Newcastle Knights at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Sunday afternoon.

Down 28-10 at half-time, the Dragons started the second half exactly how they needed to when Joel Thompson scored from a Gareth Widdop grubber in the 47th minute.

Josh Dugan took it upon himself for the Dragons' next try when he produced a huge effort from dummy half to bring the scoreline back to within a converted try.

Nightingale had his own hat-trick in the 58th minute when he crossed out thanks to a Widdop cut-out ball to help level the scores back up at 28-all.

Centre Kurt Mann helped the Dragons back into the lead when he stepped and weaved his way over the try-line in the 67th minute – which would end up proving the difference.

The Dragons day started the worse way possible however when prop Paul Vaughan injured his calf and failed to return after four minutes.

The Dragons were able to overlook this setback with a quick fire double to Jason Nightingale – his 99th and 100th career tries – within the first eight minutes.

The Knights owned the remainder of the first half, with their first points coming in the 20th minute through Nathan Ross.

Ross had his second three minutes later when he was the benefactor of a Jaelen Feeney short pass, before the fullback put back-rower Lachlan Fitzgibbon over in the 26th minute.

Ross had his hat-trick by the 31st minute after he raced 80 metres to score following a Dragons mistake. Newcastle extended that lead three minutes later through Brendan Elliott out wide.

A Brock Lamb penalty goal at the death rounded the Knights' 18-point lead at half-time but it wasn't enough to prevent a Dragons comeback.

St George Illawarra 32 (Jason Nightingale 3, Joel Thompson, Josh Dugan, Kurt Mann tries; Gareth Widdop 4 goals) defeated Newcastle Knights 28 (Nathan Ross 3, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Brendan Elliott tries; Brock Lamb 4 goals) at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah. Crowd: 10, 174. Half-time: Knights 28-10.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/25/dragons_chase_down_k.af_news.html

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Have just driven back home from Sydney ( left 5:30am, home now and settled, 5:55pm ) ........... haven't even read as to how we played.

Just looked at the score and came to the conclusion that we struggled to beat the team coming last, at home.

Am l right or wrong?

Are we that bad?

Crush

Coach
Have just driven back home from Sydney ( left 5:30am, home now and settled, 5:55pm ) ........... haven't even read as to how we played.

Just looked at the score and came to the conclusion that we struggled to beat the team coming last, at home.

Am l right or wrong?

Are we that bad?
If you just looked at the score you would think that mate.
But actually what happened was instead of trying to grind the win out in the first half like they should have they played stupid footy trying to score off every play, kicking on the 2nd etc and the knights put 5 tries on them.
Then the dragons came out in the second half and played with fire in their bellies! They went forwards before going wide and destroyed the hearts of all knights fans! It was great to watch.
Shame on Mary for not getting them playing a more conservative style of footy first half but well done Mary for what must have been a massive half time message, they were a different team.
Great comeback win!

FlameThrower

Bench
Great 10 minute start, then 30 minutes of poor on line defence and half time could not come fast enough. To come back from 28 to 10 was a great effort, but we should have never let it get to that stage..
Critical errors at key stages and those 3 tries almost at the same spot are red flags to the Coaching staff. Against a better side, we would have been smashed like a hipsters avocado toast...

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If you just looked at the score you would think that mate.
But actually what happened was instead of trying to grind the win out in the first half like they should have they played stupid footy trying to score off every play, kicking on the 2nd etc and the knights put 5 tries on them.
Then the dragons came out in the second half and played with fire in their bellies! They went forwards before going wide and destroyed the hearts of all knights fans! It was great to watch.
Shame on Mary for not getting them playing a more conservative style of footy first half but well done Mary for what must have been a massive half time message, they were a different team.
Great comeback win!

Many thanks Crush / Hazza for the update.
I guess l should be happy?
Time to watch the game and or highlights.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
After 3 years , McGregor should have the team performing like a car that has been maintained at peak mechanical condition .
The first half was just plain embarrassing , there can be no excuses for a team that has semi-final aspirations to perform in such a manner , more so at this stage of the season .

Looking at the remaining games , makes me wonder just how many more that we are capable of winning , as I believe the ' cut-off ' this year shall be 30 competition points , not the 28 that I imagined earlier in the year .
There are too many other teams below us that are breathing down our necks , quite simply , we must continue winning if the Dragons are to be at the end of the seasons big games .

I may come across at being somewhat harsh by the above , however I can assure you that I also want the Big Red V playing in the finals as we all do , but I can see that there shall be a few more ' heart stoppers ' to come .

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Thank god for the win but it only camouflages the position we are in with teams around us making their moves. McGregor only has one game plan which is the so called power game & as shown again today If its not working then there ain't no other plans. Imagine what any other side would have done to us today. If Vaughan has done a calf he could be missing for weeks which is obviously big trouble.
Luckily the coach has had the smarts to blood one of the younger props in preparation for this moment, oh wait what am I saying ah disregard that last bit,

Crush

Coach
Mary lost me here when he said ( we have to find who we are ) F**K me , he has had 3 years to work that out ........
Not sure how you got that out of it mate? I think he was referring to digging deep at half time. They had to find out who they were after being down 18 points at half time? And they did. Big time. Excellent come back.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Not sure how you got that out of it mate? I think he was referring to digging deep at half time. They had to find out who they were after being down 18 points at half time? And they did. Big time. Excellent come back.
Agree.
Wasn't the best game but took a lot of character to come back like that.
Sometimes halves like that is enough to give you some belief and kickstart your season again.
Here's hoping anyway

dragonreddy

Juniors

They got themselves into a hole against a side that isn't NRL standard, sure they just scraped home but should never have gotten to that stage, this is a repeat of 2015.