What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 - Melbourne v Roosters

MONY

Juniors
totally agree with Shadow..... unless Turner gets a lot more game time than he is now, we are wasting that last spot. But in saying this, who would we take off for him, put King into 2nd row maybe... all our back 5 shouldnt be replaced unless for an injury....

So....

A) Get rid of Geyer/Webster (very unlikely)
B) Turner back to Norths and has to wait another year till Geyer moves on
C) Move the back 5 around and say King/Inglis to the forwards somewhere

Turner didn't do a thing against Warriors, he picked up the ball and put it 2m in front of him.... oh and he watched the ball go over his head and dead in-goal.... and thats only because King went off with a slight injury..

Yep Turner should get more game time near the end of the game and probe the line with slater or be ready for a chip and chase.

Sortta what they did with Bowen in the forst 2 QLD origin matches.

Remember that the Roosters play Wing that way.

Lowdown

Juniors
MONY said:
Luckily for you I don't care what you think about me.... its an online forum get over it mate...... I wasn't looking to have a go at Kia... just stated that imo it was a moronic comment..... doesnt mean he is a moron.....

So before you try and be a smartass just make sure you read things properly......

Cheers ](*,)

LOL...I gues you should be the one to read things properly dude. It was my post you were calling 'moronic' - not Kia's.

Anyway, I guess for such a moronic comment, it seems people are generally divided about the use of 3 forwards and 1 back in the interchange.

However you make the sweeping statement (it's a nicer way of saying 'you're a moron'...) that the Storm having a small forward pack. It might surprise a few people to realise that our forward pack last week was significantly bigger than the Warriors pack - a pack synonomous with size and power. Our Props of Kaufusi and Crossman are two of the biggest going around, and Kidwell and Crocker aint exactly lightweights. Put Hoffy in there along with Whitey and we definately aint taking steps backward. Where we do give away size is Smith and Dallas, but they more than make up for that in being two of the most tireless and most technically proficient tacklers in the game that they fight well above their weight.

At the end of the day mate, Bellamy and the coaching staff tend to agree with the line of thinking that 4 forwards is a tad overkill, and Turner deserved his spot. I guess for someone who did nothing (other than score a try by being in the right place at the right time) in limited minutes to be selected again says more about what they think about his talent, than they think about your opinion. Weird...

shadow grinder

First Grade
I think some people are missing a big point.

Its not that we(and when i say we, i mean I)dont want a back on the bench, its the fact that the back isnt getting decent time on the field. If zappa played 30 minutes or more then fair enough...i would not mind that at all...but when he only plays 10 minutes... and that was only because king came off mind you, then that seems like a total waste of a spot...atleast if there was a prop or a second rower then maybe they would get more game time...its like going into the game with only 3 on the bench.

Well thats my opinion anyway. Bellamy and the staff have their opinions and views...weather or not they work out as they plan....we shall see.

Bellamy insists on having a back on the bench after we lost slater to an ankle injury in the middle of a game last season and having no one to properly cover the switched-around positions. It's a precautionary decision.

Hoffy and Kidwell hardly ever played in the centers anymore. They may still have the skills but they're now full fledged forwards and are trained to be forwards, not backs.

MONY

Juniors
Doesn't mean they can't play in the centres.... Kidwell is a lot like Bowman when it comes to being a centre... he may not be the quickest bloke but he is very solid...

Oh and by the way we still have one of the smallest forward packs in the comp regardless of what people may think.....the Warriors are a hell of a lot more aggressive/stronger/bulkier than our guys.

MONY

Juniors
shadow grinder said:
I think some people are missing a big point.

Its not that we(and when i say we, i mean I)dont want a back on the bench, its the fact that the back isnt getting decent time on the field. If zappa played 30 minutes or more then fair enough...i would not mind that at all...but when he only plays 10 minutes... and that was only because king came off mind you, then that seems like a total waste of a spot...atleast if there was a prop or a second rower then maybe they would get more game time...its like going into the game with only 3 on the bench.

Well thats my opinion anyway. Bellamy and the staff have their opinions and views...weather or not they work out as they plan....we shall see.

These two comments are 100% true..... It's as though we have a 3 man bench.... if King didnt get injured how/where would Turner have been used.

If Turner did play 30 minutes or so Shadow, where would he go.... its a tough decision to remove a QLD rep, a NSW rep, a NZ rep, or the next huge thing in rugby league from your team.... the only thing I can think of is giving Geyer a rest or possibly moving Inglis/King to the second row..

MONY

Juniors
LOL...I gues you should be the one to read things properly dude. It was my post you were calling 'moronic' - not Kia's.

My apologies Lowdown........:oops:

got a tad confused somehow I thought it was Kia who I was talking about.

Didnt mean to cause any "ruckus" but imo it was a moronic comment.....(nothing to do with you being a moron cause you are a fellow storm fan :))

Once again my apologies dude ;-)

Thunderstruck said:
Bellamy insists on having a back on the bench after we lost slater to an ankle injury in the middle of a game last season and having no one to properly cover the switched-around positions. It's a precautionary decision.

Hoffy and Kidwell hardly ever played in the centers anymore. They may still have the skills but they're now full fledged forwards and are trained to be forwards, not backs.

Exactly...this is what I was saying !!!...and it is not moronic but a common sense approach to ensuring that we do not let a close game slip when we have an injury to one of our backs. Kiddie and Hoffie are not backs.;-)

MONY

Juniors
but you have to agree that if Turner gets 10 minutes a game he is useless.... but if he is going to get say 20 or 30 minutes who do you propose we take out of the run on team..

shadow grinder

First Grade
MONY said:
but you have to agree that if Turner gets 10 minutes a game he is useless.... but if he is going to get say 20 or 30 minutes who do you propose we take out of the run on team..

wouldnt have a clue who would get taken off....

Noa

First Grade
I would'nt be against throwing Matt King inot the second-row every now and again. He could really do some damage in the latter stages of a half against some tiring forwards. To be honest I like his game better when he was on the wing, seemed to be more damaging(note his performance on the SOO last year) . A run in the forwards every now and then could bring some of that back.

There is no need to have a structured "forward" if Steve Turner comes on in the last 20 mins or so.

All as would happen is if a scrum needs to be formed one of the backs go into it.
:)

Hellsy

Immortal
Where was Matty King??
A few of my friends and I went to the game yesterday, and I am a big Matty King fan... but he didn't play :( :( :( :( :(