What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Manly Sea Beagles - Team List

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
However, giving him 80 minutes may allow a smaller utility on the bench to give King a rest.
It's a balancing act.

Here's a look at Arthur's possible interchange plan (assuming Takairangi doesn't have to come on too early):

Kickoff:
8. Alvaro
9. King
10. Mannah
11. Ma'u
12. Moeroa
13. Brown

20th minute (1st/2nd interchanges):
17. Evans
9. King
12. Moeroa
11. Ma'u
15. Takairangi
13. Brown

30th minute (3rd interchange):
17. Evans
9. King
13. Brown
11. Ma'u
15. Takairangi
14. Scott

40th minute: halftime break for everyone

50th minute (4th/5th interchanges):
8. Alvaro
9. King
16. Matagi
11. Ma'u
15. Takairangi
14. Scott

A this point there is 30 minutes to go and three interchanges with which to respond to the game situation. The current side has been on the field for this amount of time:

8. Alvaro (fresh after a break of 30 minutes plus half time)
9. King (50 minutes straight minus the half time break)
16. Matagi (fresh (no pun intended) on the field for the first time
11. Ma'u (50 minutes straight minus the half time break)
15. Takairangi (30 minutes straight minus the half time break)
14. Scott (20 minutes straight minus the half time break, so pretty fresh)

In another ten minutes (the 60 minute mark) the only blokes likely to need a break would be King and Scott, and possibly Ma'u. On the bench would be these warriors:

10. Mannah (fresh after a break of 40 minutes plus half time)
12. Moeroa (fresh after a break of 30 minutes plus half time)
13. Brown (only 10 minutes into his break, though after only a 10 minute stretch after half time)
17. Evans (only 10 minutes into his break, though after only a 10 minute stretch after half time)

It's pretty obvious Arthur wants an 80 minute dummy half, and is willing to put up with the defensive lapses from that position. Has he changed his intent for Brown to play 80 each week or was Sunday an exception? We will have a bigger sample after this weekend.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He is our best forward for mine, and by quite a way as well.
His play-the-balls and offloads are valuable, though playing 80 minutes in the middle is a big ask. Jason Taumalolo is a key player for the Cowboys and he's not expected to play 80 minutes.
I’d personally have him the whole 80...

Yeah may have 4 blokes keen for a run but if they aren’t up to the same standard why put them on?
Because they are more effective when fresh than he is when tired. Why does any team use interchange players if they could just leave their 'best' three middle forwards out there for 80 minutes?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Smith also needs to be there and if that means bye bye Taka then so be it.
Try not to think of Takairangi as some kind of impact player, but instead as our right edge forward who spends 20 minutes on the bench. That's how Edwards was used last year and that was how Takairangi was used on Sunday. The fact Moeroa starts doesn't mean he is our 'first choice' second rower on the right side, because he plays most of his minutes in the middle. Takairangi (and Edwards last year) play more minutes at edge forward than does Moeroa.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Try not to think of Takairangi as some kind of impact player, but instead as our right edge forward who spends 20 minutes on the bench. That's how Edwards was used last year and that was how Takairangi was used on Sunday. The fact Moeroa starts doesn't mean he is our 'first choice' second rower on the right side, because he plays most of his minutes in the middle. Takairangi (and Edwards last year) play more minutes at edge forward than does Moeroa.
My point Poo is that we need a utility and its my belief that Smith would be better for the team. Takas minutes as an edge forward can be covered elsewhere.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My point Poo is that we need a utility and its my belief that Smith would be better for the team. Takas minutes as an edge forward can be covered elsewhere.
I don't think you can carry a utility unless he also has a role in the team when there are no injuries. Smith might be a great dummy half runner but there just aren't enough opportunities for dummy halves to run the ball, especially when we want our halves involved after any quick play-the-ball (Arthur's words).

Gazzamatta

Coach
I take your point Poo. Id still like to see Smith for 20 plus minutes at "9" and work on other areas of involvment.
Many clubs have a utility on their bench.

Gronk

Staff member
https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/03/13/sea-eagles-v-eels-round-two-team-list/

Kick off from Lottoland is at 4:10pm.

Parramatta Eels squad
1. Bevan French
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Kirisome Auva’a
6. Corey Norman
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Cameron King
10. Tim Mannah (c)
11. Manu Ma’u
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Nathan Brown

Interchange

14. Beau Scott (c)
15. Brad Takairangi
16. Suaia Matagi
17. Kane Evans

18. Will Smith
19. Kenny Edwards
20. David Gower
21. Kaysa Pritchard

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I take your point Poo. Id still like to see Smith for 20 plus minutes at "9" and work on other areas of involvment.
Many clubs have a utility on their bench.
They do indeed, or at least someone to give the dummy half a breather. Even Cam Smith got a rest during games last year, with Slade Griffin in the top 17 for the second half of the season. But as you'll note in that case, Griffin wasn't brought on for his attack, but for his defence. I reckon Pritchard would be a better option to give King a rest.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2018/03/13/sea-eagles-v-eels-round-two-team-list/

Parramatta Eels squad
1. Bevan French
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Kirisome Auva’a
6. Corey Norman
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Cameron King
10. Tim Mannah (c)
11. Manu Ma’u
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Nathan Brown

Interchange

14. Beau Scott (c)
15. Brad Takairangi
16. Suaia Matagi
17. Kane Evans

18. Will Smith
19. Kenny Edwards
20. David Gower
21. Kaysa Pritchard
#ILtLotS

Parramatta Eels squad
1. Bevan French
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Kirisome Auva’a
6. Corey Norman
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Cameron King
10. Tim Mannah (c)
11. Manu Ma’u
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Nathan Brown

Interchange

14. Beau Scott (c)
15. Brad Takairangi
16. Suaia Matagi
17. Kane Evans

18. Will Smith
19. Kenny Edwards
20. David Gower
21. Kaysa Pritchard
I think after all he's done for our club BA deserves a bit of leeway. But if we don't win this week I'll go right off him.

84 Baby

Referee

Parramatta Eels squad
1. Bevan French
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Kirisome Auva’a
6. Corey Norman
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Cameron King
10. Tim Mannah (c)
11. Manu Ma’u
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Nathan Brown

Interchange

14. Beau Scott (c)
15. Brad Takairangi
16. Suaia Matagi
17. Kane Evans

18. Will Smith
19. Kenny Edwards
20. David Gower
21. Kaysa Pritchard
You don’t change a winning side

84 Baby

Referee
I still think BA should just name Semi, Paulo and Vaughan. Now that would be a winningier team list that we could all get behind

Latest posts