What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 V Rabbitohs

franklin2323

Immortal
The Broncos not having a halfback makes me very f**king worried. No reason they can't pay him 2 million a year in paper bags

They can but what interest is it for him? Brisbane is a hole. Bennett is a wanker and playing with those knobs will send him to the crazy house

tripster

Juniors
The Broncos not having a halfback makes me very f**king worried. No reason they can't pay him 2 million a year in paper bags

I have no doubt that we are going to have to pay Cleary big money if we want him to stay. From what I have read, Cherry Evans is currently the highest paid player (excluding TPAs) at $1.3 million per season.

I expect part of the reason we haven't put up any real obstacles (and possibly even encouraged) the departure of Cartwright and Peachey, is to free up money to pay Cleary the big bucks required to keep him.

If I remember correctly Cartwright was on $500,000 per season.

Peachey has moved to the Titans on a 3 year, $1.5 million deal (average of $500,000 per season), which is said to be an upgrade from what he was getting with us. I can't find published figures of what he was getting with us, but let's assume $350,000.

Losing Cartwright and Peachey has therefore freed up $850,000.

Maloney was meant to be a like for like swap in terms of dollars with Moylan (with, if I remember correctly, $200,000 of Maloney's $800,000 total coming from a TPA).

However, we couldn't use the TPA with Maloney and had to find $200,000 out of the cap, which forced us to lose Latu. However, that would presumably mean we have that $200,000 TPA available again (assuming the provider of the TPA is willing to pay it to Cleary next year).

That therefore means we have $1,050,000 available, before anything else, to use with Cleary (ignoring of course the possible need to upgrade the contracts of other players who might be coming off contract).

I also expect we will end up losing Mansour, to free up more cap space (and that we will be replaced with a junior, who is fear cheaper). Say we save another $200,000 there.

We may therefore have $1,250,000 million to play with.

I can't recall what Clearly is on now, I assume it is small. Say $200,000.

That might mean we can throw up to $1.45 million at Cleary for next season.

Will it be enough? Who knows.

Would he be worth throwing that amount at? Possibly also debatable, but based on what he is showing, you'd think so.

OldPanther

Coach
I have no doubt that we are going to have to pay Cleary big money if we want him to stay. From what I have read, Cherry Evans is currently the highest paid player (excluding TPAs) at $1.3 million per season.

I expect part of the reason we haven't put up any real obstacles (and possibly even encouraged) the departure of Cartwright and Peachey, is to free up money to pay Cleary the big bucks required to keep him.

Peachey has moved to the Titans on a 3 year, $1.5 million deal (average of $500,000 per season), which is said to be an upgrade from what he was getting with us. I can't find published figures of what he was getting with us, but let's assume $350,000.

Maloney was meant to be a like for like swap in terms of dollars with Moylan (with, if I remember correctly, $200,000 of Maloney's $800,000 total coming from a TPA).

However, we couldn't use the TPA with Maloney and had to find $200,000 out of the cap, which forced us to lose Latu. However, that would presumably mean we have that $200,000 TPA available again (assuming the provider of the TPA is willing to pay it to Cleary next year).

That therefore means we have $1,050,000 available, before anything else, to use with Cleary (ignoring of course the possible need to upgrade the contracts of other players who might be coming off contract).

I also expect we will end up losing Mansour, to free up more cap space (and that we will be replaced with a junior, who is fear cheaper). Say we save another $200,000 there.

Would he be worth throwing that amount at? Possibly also debatable, but based on what he is showing, you'd think so.

Good read. I think he'll command it because he's seen as the next great half of the game and already performing at a high level. It wouldn't surprise me to hear all the player movement is about keeping Cleary.

mxlegend99

Referee

Your ballpark figures are in line with what I remember being reported.

As close as you'll get without seeing the contracts. I think $1m for Cleary with a nice fat TPA should do the trick.

franklin2323

Immortal

That isn't accounting for replacing those players. NRL minimum wage is $100k. So for example we gained $400k from letting Bryce go. Still I think the TPA's will cover the extra $300k.

I think we can match any offer for him. The question is he worth those figures you quoted.

As for with Ivan. I get the feeling he is thinking more a swansong then going while still in his prime. Afterall he would want to win a comp and WT's can't offer that

OldPanther

Coach
That isn't accounting for replacing those players. NRL minimum wage is $100k. So for example we gained $400k from letting Bryce go. Still I think the TPA's will cover the extra $300k.

I think we can match any offer for him. The question is he worth those figures you quoted.

As for with Ivan. I get the feeling he is thinking more a swansong then going while still in his prime. Afterall he would want to win a comp and WT's can't offer that

I think he is. A half like him is a rare commodity. Look at Brisbane. Can't field one to save themselves right now.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think he is. A half like him is a rare commodity. Look at Brisbane. Can't field one to save themselves right now.

They would have a maximum to pay for a 7. I think he will be the highest paid player but paying $1.5m instead of $1.2m means we lose another decent player or 2.

That is what I mean. Hopefully it is done before we get into a bidding war

Panther Pete

Juniors
Just on the game, this one has all the indicators we will get beaten.....people one here rubbishing the opposition and everyone super confident no doubt on the back of our great win last week, I've seen it a hundred times before. I have been a Panther fan for way too long.

snickers007

Juniors
Just on the game, this one has all the indicators we will get beaten.....people one here rubbishing the opposition and everyone super confident no doubt on the back of our great win last week, I've seen it a hundred times before. I have been a Panther fan for way too long.

Sad but true. On paper, I'm supremely confident - but NRL matches aren't played on paper.

I'm actually a bit worried about the extreme heat conditions - not so much our ability to play in it, but our recovery after last weekend, and how we back up. Would be very easy to be a bit flat this week I think. Guys like Yeo, Reggie and Fish all played 60mins - and Fish in particular looked absolutely rooted by the time he finally got a spell.

I wouldn't be surprised if we use all 8 subs this week, and give our forwards a more equal share of time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sad but true. On paper, I'm supremely confident - but NRL matches aren't played on paper.

I'm actually a bit worried about the extreme heat conditions - not so much our ability to play in it, but our recovery after last weekend, and how we back up. Would be very easy to be a bit flat this week I think. Guys like Yeo, Reggie and Fish all played 60mins - and Fish in particular looked absolutely rooted by the time he finally got a spell.

I wouldn't be surprised if we use all 8 subs this week, and give our forwards a more equal share of time.

It was just as warm in Perth. They lost a day preparation aswell. Last I saw the teams struggle the week after playing in Perth.

That is the good thing. Guys like Leota and CHN had under 20mins we still have plenty in the tank

TheFrog

Coach
Because they are replaced in the 30 by someone else and their salaries are counted instead, it frees up somewhat less than that. No more than $650k.

Cleary is still ours next season. But if he's going to cost that much after that, the club will seriously consider whether any player is worth it. Personally, I think that is too much. He's not the greatest player ever to play the game, so he shouldn't be paid the greatest ever salary.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Because they are replaced in the 30 by someone else and their salaries are counted instead, it frees up somewhat less than that. No more than $650k.

Cleary is still ours next season. But if he's going to cost that much after that, the club will seriously consider whether any player is worth it. Personally, I think that is too much. He's not the greatest player ever to play the game, so he shouldn't be paid the greatest ever salary.
Yet... He may well turn out that way given his age and apparent love of improving himself

mxlegend99

Referee
In years gone past these are definitely the games we've lost.

But I think losing to Souths twice last year will change the players attitude for this game. What we think of games has no bearing on what they players or coaches of either team think. Us being confident doesn't change anything.

I can see Bulldogs giving us a run for our money. They looked decent against Storm. But Souths have so much more going against them then us.

-They looked exhausted last week. Another hot one on Saturday wont help thrm
-They have to travel across the country to our home ground
-They have a new coach
-They have a rookie halfback
-Inglis is back from an ACL injury
-Their wingers suck
-Johnston is like Holmes. Terrific winger. Average fullback.

To me that adds up to a lot of points for us. If we can start at kick off instead of 30 minutes in I really think we can give 50 points a fair crack. Im going with 42-18.

We score 7 tries. Cleary nails 7 goals and breaks El Masris record. 36 goals in a row.

OldPanther

Coach
In years gone past these are definitely the games we've lost.

But I think losing to Souths twice last year will change the players attitude for this game. What we think of games has no bearing on what they players or coaches of either team think. Us being confident doesn't change anything.

I can see Bulldogs giving us a run for our money. They looked decent against Storm. But Souths have so much more going against them then us.

-They looked exhausted last week. Another hot one on Saturday wont help thrm
-They have to travel across the country to our home ground
-They have a new coach
-They have a rookie halfback
-Inglis is back from an ACL injury
-Their wingers suck
-Johnston is like Holmes. Terrific winger. Average fullback.

To me that adds up to a lot of points for us. If we can start at kick off instead of 30 minutes in I really think we can give 50 points a fair crack. Im going with 42-18.

We score 7 tries. Cleary nails 7 goals and breaks El Masris record. 36 goals in a row.

I think we're all a bit gun shy because of history. I'm really confident and it worries me just as a natural reaction now.

franklin2323

Immortal

Different times though. He only looks behind Brandy and Gowie as far as our halves go. Both would be highest paid players if they played today