What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Vs Tigers

chrisD

Coach
No reason to think Teddy won't carve our right side up, again. But then if I was picking the team that's the team I'd name on paper so the Tigers would think that, but then play Cartwright elsewhere.

GongPanther

Referee
And we are TAB favourites for this match?

Must be a bait bet to get new registrations for the ones who favour the Tigers for this game.

It really does depend on attitude as many have said. I truly hope something has changed otherwise it will be a long day. Tigers by 16

kinghippo

Juniors
Hook needs to fix up the forward rotation. Merrin only played 40 minutes JFH very limited timed time. I guess he was thinking to keep them fresh but it was all over the place. There is no need for Browne, we have plenty of players with big engines. I would rather have merrin and yeo on for 80 than Cartwright.

Fangs

Coach
Hook needs to fix up the forward rotation. Merrin only played 40 minutes JFH very limited timed time. I guess he was thinking to keep them fresh but it was all over the place. There is no need for Browne, we have plenty of players with big engines. I would rather have merrin and yeo on for 80 than Cartwright.

Like most of the time I thought Merrin was off the pace of the game. Didn't look match fit. Or that may have been because the Dragons were absolutely trampling our forward pack.

franklin2323

Immortal

Neither one of the 2 you mentioned were match fit. That's the issue we took it easy in the trials so won't see our best for a few weeks. No excuse for the garbage dished up last week though

betcats

Referee
Match fit? That's ridiculous they have had months to get fit for round 1, if not playing 40 minutes worth of trial game means they are going to play like shit in round 1 they can get f**ked, they have literally been preparing months for round one and getting paid very well to show up and perform, if we don't play well for another 3 weeks the coach is gone for sure, look at what one bad loss has done, two more and there will be plenty calling for hooks head so he'd better get these muppets match fit real quick. There is no excuse for a performance like that with a roster like ours. It's poor attitude or poor coaching or both, that's it.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Match fit? That's ridiculous they have had months to get fit for round 1, if not playing 40 minutes worth of trial game means they are going to play like shit in round 1 they can get f**ked, they have literally been preparing months for round one and getting paid very well to show up and perform, if we don't play well for another 3 weeks the coach is gone for sure, look at what one bad loss has done, two more and there will be plenty calling for hooks head so he'd better get these muppets match fit real quick. There is no excuse for a performance like that with a roster like ours. It's poor attitude or poor coaching or both, that's it.

Coaches don't play trial games for fun you know. They serve a purpose to get players used to going full on for long periods etc

Fangs

Coach

Definately no excuses.

Maybe guys who played for the Kangaroos can be given a little slack for their fitness. But the coach would take that into account, play them for less minutes (a la Merrin).

Copperhead

Juniors

Mostly I agree, but in the case of Merrin and JFH, they were both injured leading into round 1. Cleary might be too, to hand off kicking duties.

Clifferd

Coach

Match fit is way different to being "cardiovascular" fit as you may call it

Being able to take hits, being driven into the ground, fatigued in the late stages of the games while making decisions with the football is what match fitness is

In the other words, yes they train months ready for round 1, but they are truly never ready for a real game type scenario until the season actually starts

kinghippo

Juniors
Hmm I've always hated the term match fit. These guys are full time athletes, I know it's a real thing but if they new it was an issue don't carry two.put JFH in reserves and put someone fit on,It's not like we don't have the depth.Apart from the minutes I think the rotations were bad. We took off merrin tamou and RCG nearly all at the same time. Massive drop in experience, maybe it was a reaction to us getting slaughtered but I hope it's something hook is thinking about.

franklin2323

Immortal
Match fit is way different to being "cardiovascular" fit as you may call it

Being able to take hits, being driven into the ground, fatigued in the late stages of the games while making decisions with the football is what match fitness is

In the other words, yes they train months ready for round 1, but they are truly never ready for a real game type scenario until the season actually starts

Things like being belted. then chasing a kick moving side to side under fatigue running back to start a set etc. All things that rarely get done at training

Fangs

Coach
Match fit...cardiovascular fit...'cricket' fit. Whatever you want to call it, they didn't look fit at all. And it made the Dragons look super human.

Hook waited till about the 20 minute mark for the first changes (Tamou and RCG I think). They were toasted well before that.

betcats

Referee
Match fit...cardiovascular fit...'cricket' fit. Whatever you want to call it, they didn't look fit at all. And it made the Dragons look super human.

Hook waited till about the 20 minute mark for the first changes (Tamou and RCG I think). They were toasted well before that.

Exactly, we looked soft. These are professionals they need show up and perform. If you are less than100 percent fine but don't talk to me about match fitness when you have just had a full pre season to get fit. RCG looked very strong for the all stars when he hadn't played in months. These guys just didn't show up, they need to wake up and stop reading all this bullshit press, the whole club got extremely carried away imo and are way ahead of themselves. We will see what kind of coach hook is the next few weeks because if we play like that again something is wrong.

TheFrog

Coach
don't talk to me about match fitness when you have just had a full pre season to get fit.
I think the lack of fitness was not physical, it was mental. They had been reading their own press and didn't consider the possibility that St George might do what they did. Hence they weren't ready.

The real test comes this game. It's no secret what the Tigers can do, they did it to Souths (who also appeared to be expecting an easy game). Will we be ready for that?