What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Vs Tigers

betcats

Referee
Win or lose I'm not expecting another poor performance but it's worrying we were so far off the pace last week, it stinks of a poor attitude to me. All this premiership talk has made us targets, teams will get up for us and punish if we don't show up.

betcats

Referee
Coaches don't play trial games for fun you know. They serve a purpose to get players used to going full on for long periods etc

How much trial time do established first graders and internationals get? 40 minutes over a couple games if that. If it is really that vital(I dont believe it is) don't play anyone who didn't play a trial, let them get match fit in reserve grade instead of playing like shit in first grade. Every club deals with this going in, not long before the season started the club was trumpeting the fact we had everyone fit and healthy and ready to fire. We have a brand new 10 million dollar academy there's no excuse for the garbage dished up.

franklin2323

Immortal
How much trial time do established first graders and internationals get? 40 minutes over a couple games if that. If it is really that vital(I dont believe it is) don't play anyone who didn't play a trial, let them get match fit in reserve grade instead of playing like shit in first grade. Every club deals with this going in, not long before the season started the club was trumpeting the fact we had everyone fit and healthy and ready to fire. We have a brand new 10 million dollar academy there's no excuse for the garbage dished up.

Comps aren't won in March. What part of the academy handles the mental side of things? If things don't go our way we fall in a heap the problem was everyone decided to play like shit at the same time. Whare and Hiku don't have much wing experience. I agree one or both of Merrin/JFH should of played NSW Cup instead of Round 1.

What team was at their best on the weekend? Sure we played disgraceful but aren't the only team to be off early on

Kilkenny

Coach
Comps aren't won in March. What part of the academy handles the mental side of things? If things don't go our way we fall in a heap the problem was everyone decided to play like shit at the same time. Whare and Hiku don't have much wing experience. I agree one or both of Merrin/JFH should of played NSW Cup instead of Round 1.

What team was at their best on the weekend? Sure we played disgraceful but aren't the only team to be off early on

Perhaps JFH would have gained more from a run out in NSW Cup but not too many current Australian Representatives ie Merrin play NSW Cup just to get there fitness up to speed.

Kilkenny

Coach
There have been lot's of theories put forward for our poor performance against the Dragons and I am as perplexed as anyone as to what occurred.

Given what happened on the weekend I'm not sure sure quite how you turn around in 7 days such a substandard display.

I have no idea how we are going to go this weekend against the West Tigers given they had a good win.

At the end of the day, unless the forwards win the battle up front, we are unlikely to come away with the two points.

GongPanther

Referee
We have a whole 8 days which in itself is a blessing.The Tigers had an extra day which might be too long between drinks.

Anyway,as long as the effort completely improves,I'll be happy.

betcats

Referee

You are the one discussing match fitness, I never mentioned the mental side of things.

I know teams are off early and they get bagged for it, players and coaches and rightly so. Its not match fitness that makes an entire forward pack get owned, it's a piss poor attitude. Showing up and expecting an easy win against a team who came out with something to prove, that's a huge failure from the coaches and players so let's not put it down to match fitness because two of our forwards didn't play trials. Our highly backed and favoured team didn't come play against a team tipped to come in the bottom four, it's simple as that. Typical Penrith bullshit. Like I said earlier we will see this week what the coach and players are made of, if the effort and performance isn't a lot better then we are in trouble.

betcats

Referee
As for team changes move RCG to the bench and start Latu, we need some fire from our bigs from the start and none of our starters offer that. I'd bench Bryce as well, or put him in reserve grade after that dogshit performance. If he was distracted by his girl problems last week it's only going to get worse. And tell him to hold the ball and run, he's been around for a couple years now he should be finding some consistency not f**king up trying fancy shit. Start Edwards for Hiku and make sure Whare knows he either has a dig or he can have fun negotiating his next contract while playing nsw cup, DWZ will be back soon and if Edwards doesn't do terribly I would be dropping Whare if his form doesn't improve, Peach and Blake are our centres, Whare needs to work as a winger or play ISP, he isn't going to play centres for us again barring some injuries.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
I am not buying the lack of match fitness. You could trot that out if we were competitive for the most part and then faded in the last 10 minutes or so. They were terrible from the outset.

Copperhead

Juniors
As for team changes move RCG to the bench and start Latu, we need some fire from our bigs from the start and none of our starters offer that. I'd bench Bryce as well, or put him in reserve grade after that dogshit performance. If he was distracted by his girl problems last week it's only going to get worse. And tell him to hold the ball and run, he's been around for a couple years now he should be finding some consistency not f**king up trying fancy shit. Start Edwards for Hiku and make sure Whare knows he either has a dig or he can have fun negotiating his next contract while playing nsw cup, DWZ will be back soon and if Edwards doesn't do terribly I would be dropping Whare if his form doesn't improve, Peach and Blake are our centres, Whare needs to work as a winger or play ISP, he isn't going to play centres for us again barring some injuries.

Agree. Except I'd drop RCG altogether and replace him with Kikau.

hindy111

Post Whore
Really? Going 0-2 against two sides not many were really predicting to make the 8 is pretty shtty. Woulnd't be happy with that at all.

And a few tough games ahead. 0-2 and all of a sudden the pressure is on. You go 0-3 and things get very very nervous cause a 0-4 and it becomes hard to make top 4.

TheFrog

Coach
Whatever happens this game, once the boys sense the reassuring feel of the Penrith Park turf, and breathe deep the sweet air of the Riff, the Roosters will be chicken nuggets.

franklin2323

Immortal
You are the one discussing match fitness, I never mentioned the mental side of things.

I know teams are off early and they get bagged for it, players and coaches and rightly so. Its not match fitness that makes an entire forward pack get owned, it's a piss poor attitude. Showing up and expecting an easy win against a team who came out with something to prove, that's a huge failure from the coaches and players so let's not put it down to match fitness because two of our forwards didn't play trials. Our highly backed and favoured team didn't come play against a team tipped to come in the bottom four, it's simple as that. Typical Penrith bullshit. Like I said earlier we will see this week what the coach and players are made of, if the effort and performance isn't a lot better then we are in trouble.

Our best 3 were Blake, Martin & Yeo. All had more then a 30min run in the rain behind them in the pre season. We went too easy and were shown up. Apart from 2015 we usually are shit early on

kinghippo

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rtion-payoff-allegations-20170308-gutg44.html

I hope carty plays.
Everyone has their own opinion about this story but whatever happened the media have crucified him and he must be hurting bad. Personally I think this story sounds more like vindictive blackmail everyday, but like everyone including the filthy reporters we don't have the facts.
Tomorrow's headline Cartwright chose withdrawal technique against advice from club!