What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Titans @ Pepper Stadium

OldPanther

Coach
Just thinking about our interchange situation.

Props = 4 interchanges. I'd give the starters 50 mins split with 20 to start the game and 30 to finish. That's assuming we start with RCG. He deserves time.

Lock = 1 interchange should be enough. Who plays here, both starting and off the bench is the question. I'd split the time fairly evenly if it's a combo of Cartwright/Merrin but if Merrin moved to prop with say Cartwright/? I'd give Carty more time.

That leaves 3. At least 1 for possible HIA and 2 for pergaps the second row as @betcats has suggested. Who and how long I don't know.

So the bench would be

2 props
1 utility
1 backrow fill in. (Eg Kikau)

franklin2323

Immortal
Just thinking about our interchange situation.

Props = 4 interchanges. I'd give the starters 50 mins split with 20 to start the game and 30 to finish. That's assuming we start with RCG. He deserves time.

Lock = 1 interchange should be enough. Who plays here, both starting and off the bench is the question. I'd split the time fairly evenly if it's a combo of Cartwright/Merrin but if Merrin moved to prop with say Cartwright/? I'd give Carty more time.

That leaves 3. At least 1 for possible HIA and 2 for pergaps the second row as @betcats has suggested. Who and how long I don't know.

So the bench would be

2 props
1 utility
1 backrow fill in. (Eg Kikau)

That fits with my line of thinking once Merrin is back.

Bench of:

Peachey
Cartwright
JFH
Latu

JFH/Merrin can be the interchange prop freeing up gametime for Cartwright and Peachey to cause mayhem in 2nd halves

martielang

Bench
Wallace is a good runner out of dummy half that is ridiculous to say he is no threat, he is much better than Rein at picking good times to run that is for sure. He also offers a kicking game and IMO better service and better defence.

Disagree completely. To me, we seem so one dimensional with Wallace at 9. He may be good at picking his times, but he's not quick enough to take advantage of it.

IMO Rein has been one of our best over the past month. I've got little doubt if he was a junior or someone less traveled, he'd get more credit but because he has some baggage from his time at the Dragons, the people that didn't want him signed in the first place sit back & and pick apart every error he makes without noticing the positives he brings to the side.

It's a simple questions to me. Do we look better with Rein at 9? Yes. Has our side got a better winning ratio with him at 9? Yes.

Each to their own though. Good change from arguing about Griffin.

betcats

Referee
Disagree completely. To me, we seem so one dimensional with Wallace at 9. He may be good at picking his times, but he's not quick enough to take advantage of it.

IMO Rein has been one of our best over the past month. I've got little doubt if he was a junior or someone less traveled, he'd get more credit but because he has some baggage from his time at the Dragons, the people that didn't want him signed in the first place sit back & and pick apart every error he makes without noticing the positives he brings to the side.

It's a simple questions to me. Do we look better with Rein at 9? Yes. Has our side got a better winning ratio with him at 9? Yes.

Fair enough mate, I cant agree but as you say its a nice change of subject from Hook.

I will just add this in regards to their running games, According to NRL.com Rein has run the ball 33 times for a gain of 233 metres this season. Wallace has run the ball 45 times for a gain of 319 metres. This actually means they are both averaging 7 metres a run so there is no advantage there either way, it comes down to everything else really.

kinghippo

Juniors
It's simple. RCG + Leota with rotation of Browne + Fish is better than Browne + Leota with rotation of RCG and Fish. We'd get eaten alive in that first 20 minutes.
I see your point, RCG will probably mirror James time on the field.
Personally I would prefer we left the forward rotation as is, but started with JFH.
Play him for the first 40, 30 if we are winning and then bring leota on for 20. JFH has strong defence, to counter the loss of merrin. It will be interesting to see what the actual team is on game day.
Putting the inexperienced kid in first with the titans team at full strength is a mistake, but I have been proven wrong many times, hopefully again.

franklin2323

Immortal

I don't care for baggage I saw he was ok but was right up with Moylan for missed tackles Wallace is better in defence. Throw in Wallace can kick and that cancels out Rein's running imo

mxlegend99

Referee

Where has Rein copped shit? I can see why some would prefer Wallace. Im not decided yet.

I wasnt a fan of his before we signed him. But he has been solid for us and I think the coach is crazy keeping Katoa in the team ahead of Rein.

Personally I would have though Rein kept the 9 and Wallace sits on the bench instead of Katoa. He hasnt played in a while so I think its better for him. Katoa is the wrong choice here. It shouldn't ever have been between Rein or Wallace IMO.

Wallace can play 6/7/9. Could probably defend at lock if needed. No reason he couldnt be our utility.

OldPanther

Coach
I wonder if Moylan was a actually injured last week. It would be interesting if it was a deliberate ploy to give Cleary more responsibility as a half. I'm not one for conspiracies but it was a fun thought.

martielang

Bench
As someone else said, I think it needs to be either Wallace or Rein starting with the other out of the 17 altogether. I'm happy with Katoa on the bench, covers hooker, back row & 5/8th if you were really desperate.

I don't think Rein cops a lot of unnecessary shit but IMO he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Regardless of Wallaces heart, dedication etc., our results have been on an upward swing since Rein came into hooker. I personally can't see the point in changing.

OldPanther

Coach
As someone else said, I think it needs to be either Wallace or Rein starting with the other out of the 17 altogether. I'm happy with Katoa on the bench, covers hooker, back row & 5/8th if you were really desperate.

I don't think Rein cops a lot of unnecessary shit but IMO he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Regardless of Wallaces heart, dedication etc., our results have been on an upward swing since Rein came into hooker. I personally can't see the point in changing.

To be fair how much is it Rein and how much is it our new halves combo with Brandy coaching or that our forwards are performing better. There are many variables and Wallace was about to play origin. He really had to get a shot when he came back. That said I really like how Rein has been. Last week the hooker interchanged worked well too. We are looking healthy in the position at least.

OldPanther

Coach
Updated teamlist

Panthers v Titans
3pm Saturday @ Pepper Stadium

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Tyrone PEACHEY
4. Waqa BLAKE
5. Dallin WATENE-ZELEZNIAK
6. Matt MOYLAN (c)
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. James TAMOU
9. Peter WALLACE
10. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
11. Corey HARAWIRA-NAERA
12. Isaah YEO
13. Moses LEOTA

14. Sione KATOA
15. Leilani LATU
16. Tim BROWNE
17. James FISHER-HARRIS
18. Tyrone MAY
20. Sitaleki AKAUOLA

maple_69

Bench
I think Katoa would offer more from the bench than either Rein or Wallace. He offers a bit more zip and flair.

kinghippo

Juniors
I had completely forgotten that this is the first time RCG and Ryan James play against each other since he dogged shotted him and broke his back.
Ryan James will be sore on Sunday!

OldPanther

Coach
Please only post serious thoughts otherwise people will be confused...
Ps I think he was kidnapped in New Zealand and that's why he didn't play.

Definitely more plausible than mine. The ransom was most likely Panthers merchandise after the kiwis burnt their Warriors jerseys.

roofromoz

First Grade
Nah, I heard he was allowed to make his own way to the ground, but the sat nav in his hire car stuffed up, resulting in him missing the exit on the Southern Motorway and calling Griffin an hour from kick off to say he was in Hamilton.

OldPanther

Coach
Another Cartwright coming through

NYC Panthers v NYC Titans
10.45am Saturday @ Pepper Stadium

1. Caleb AEKINS
2. Jamon WORMLEATON
3. Richie MUNCHOW
6. Sam MARTIN-SAVAGE
5. Daniel BROWN
24. Toby WESTCOTT
7. Dean BLORE