What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 V Tigers (will we have a team?)

natheel

Coach
with De Gois injured and Mau out for a week along with Scott possibly out again. Who comes in? Who is fit to play?

1. Michael Gordon
2. Bureta Faraimo
3. ????
4. Brad Takairangi
5. Bevan French
6. Clinton Gutherson
7. Jeff Robson
8. Tim Mannah
9. Cody Nelson
10. Danny Wicks
11. Kenny Edwards
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Peni Terepo
14. Cameron King??
15. David Gower
16. Daniel Alvaro
17. Rory O'Brien

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He's got 264 metres and 6 tackle breaks in two games. Faraimo goes alright.

As for who is available to come into the team, Toutai is due back next week. Folau made his return from injury for Wenty today. And as natheel mentioned, King might get a spot on the bench. If we're under pressure in the second tier, having De Gois and Pritchard injured (and Foran, Norman, Kelly and Cornish unavailable) could mean we get permission to use Cameron King.

Hopefully to put on a decent effort since it will be the only game I get to this season I hope I don't drive 6hrs for a smashing.

eels_fan

First Grade
I think Buretta has been solid. I didn't rate him highly, but watching him at the game yesterday he's always busy, not afraid to take early hits up etc, if he could improve his ball security he'd be a decent first grader imo.

Surely King would be next in line rather than Nelson for the starting 9 gig. I see Nelson as a better bench option than King but not as a starter.

BA mentioned Folau would be right for a run if needed after a week at Wenty.

Gordon
Buretta
Taka
Folau
French
Gutho
Robson
Wicks
King
Mannah
Kenny
Gower
Tepai

Terepo
O'brien
Alvaro
Nelson

Bazal

Post Whore
It won't happen, but...

1-French
2-Faraimo
3-Gordon
4-Takairangi
5-Tuha
6-Gutherson
7-Robson
8-Wicks
9-King
10-Mannah
11-Edwards
12-Moeroa
13-Terepo

14-Nelson
15-Alvaro
16-Gower
17-Twal. We're gone, why the f**k not?

phantom eel

First Grade
If we're under pressure in the second tier, having De Gois and Pritchard injured (and Foran, Norman, Kelly and Cornish unavailable) could mean we get permission to use Cameron King.
Why would we need permission to use King in first grade? Greenberg confirmed this week that we are $170K below the first grade salary cap - we have some wriggle room.

Noise

Coach
Why would we need permission to use King in first grade? Greenberg confirmed this week that we are $170K below the first grade salary cap - we have some wriggle room.

If King is outside the top 25 and we have used our quota then we might need permission to do so

TheParraboy

Staff member
Lets sign Robbie Farah (with the tigers paying the lion share of his salary)

I reckon he would tear the tigers a new one

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We might be below the cap but that only covers the top 25 players. I suppose we could upgrade King into the top 25 but I understand that would require an extension beyond this year, and we might not want to do that (or the player might not - he might already have signed elsewhere for next year).

phantom eel

First Grade
If King is outside the top 25 and we have used our quota then we might need permission to do so
What is this "quota" you speak of... we've used 27 players this season... and while numbering more than our top 25, with the mid-season departures of players like Peats and Paulo along with season ending injuries to Foran and Kelly, I wouldn't be surprised if we (technically)) haven't dipped too far outside our top 25 yet at all?
We might be below the cap but that only covers the top 25 players. I suppose we could upgrade King into the top 25 but I understand that would require an extension beyond this year, and we might not want to do that (or the player might not - he might already have signed elsewhere for next year).
Fair point re King not having played first grade in 2016 thus far, and not wanting to extend him... but surely clubs are allowed to select players from outside their top 25 on occasion to cover injury, without being overly penalised?

Titans and Penrith have used 28 players so far, Manly and Roosters 29, Wests Tigers have used 30, Souths 31, and the Warriors have used a whopping 33 players! (All figures from Rugby League Project NRL 2016 team pages.)

phantom eel

First Grade
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k=a18a582897b07638dc3b2db041359e64-1469365919

Sorry, it's reported that "Greenberg notes..." followed by "the document reveals..." but given other parts of this article quote Greenberg's words from the document, it seems as official as we're likely to hear?
The document reveals the additional payments total more than $1.9m over three seasons from 2013. Greenberg notes the figure is an approximation and property quantifying the size of the breach is not possible. The document also reveals the club is more than $170,000 under the cap for this season after termination payments to Anthony Watmough, Nathan Peats and Ryan Morgan.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What is this "quota" you speak of...

I'd say he was talking about the second tier cap. You can have several millions of dollars worth of players outside the top 25 (as long as they are all earning less under the cap than the 25th highest paid player) but not all of them can play NRL in a given season. The second tier cap covers the ones who do - once that $460k is used up (consisting of the entire salaries of every player outside the top 25 who plays even one game of first grade) then your second tier cap is full and you can no longer select players from outside the top 25 without special permission.

Given the second tier cap is $460k and the best second tier players would all be on about $80k (the minimum salary for a top 25 player is $82500), teams will generally use five or six second tier players before exhausting the second tier cap. And considering your 25th highest paid player might be on $90001 (for example) you could have second tier players earning $90k (hence why the second tier cap might only cover five players).

Source

we've used 27 players this season... and while numbering more than our top 25, with the mid-season departures of players like Peats and Paulo along with season ending injuries to Foran and Kelly, I wouldn't be surprised if we (technically)) haven't dipped too far outside our top 25 yet at all?

I believe we have used the following second tier players this year:
Kelly (possibly top 25)
Alvaro (possibly top 25)
Pritchard (possibly top 25)
Faraimo
O'Brien
French
Nelson

Fair point re King not having played first grade in 2016 thus far, and not wanting to extend him... but surely clubs are allowed to select players from outside their top 25 on occasion to cover injury, without being overly penalised?

Titans and Penrith have used 28 players so far, Manly and Roosters 29, Wests Tigers have used 30, Souths 31, and the Warriors have used a whopping 33 players! (All figures from Rugby League Project NRL 2016 team pages.)

I think 30 players is typical in a season. The only team I'm aware of to have used only 25 players in a season was the Roosters in 2013.

phantom eel

First Grade
I believe we have used the following second tier players this year:
Kelly (possibly top 25)
Alvaro (possibly top 25)
Pritchard (possibly top 25)
Faraimo
O'Brien
French
Nelson
So if we have only used 27 players so far this season, and you're saying at least four of the above are outside the top 25, then who are the at least two top 25 players that we haven't used? I'll give you Watmough, maybe... and then Morgs? lol.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm sure Watmough's salary for this year is in our top 25, and I wouldn't be surprised if our contribution to Morgan's salary likewise puts him in our top 25.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How does Mau get a week for something that was barely a penalty???

Does the NRL know we can't make the finals yet????