What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 Vs Raiders Sunday 5th August 4:10pm Panthers Stadium

OldPanther

Coach
Some on here would be in the fetal position surely? A panthers win & a matty Moylan inspired sharkies loss...

We seemed to make a conscious effort to offload a lot more today. Our halves & Hooker always sniff around the ruck which is good to see.

I thought Peach ran some really strong straight lines today & our attack looked so much better for it. Griffin master stroke.

Our defence was horrendous at times but we’ve shown this year we can defend, hopefully we get it together. Billy is right, we struggle against teams that throw it around & rely on second phase play, but not many of the top teams do that.

Agree with others, Kikau should of been given a rest although it’s hard when he looks like making a line break every other time he touches the ball.

f**k the negativity, another win & another step closer to the 4. Wasn’t our greatest display but we’re getting the job done & it’s bloody entertaining watching our team go around.

If they could do it without the added stress on my heart that would be appreciated. Absolutely fantastic so many results went our way.

Its not Peach's fault hes at fullback. a ridiculous call really. Can never fault his effort

I'll take Peachey at FB over Crighton on the wing.

I just got back from the game. I honestly didn’t expect us to come back like we did, but what a thrilling finish. I couldn’t tell from where I was in the Western Grandstand which grub elbowed Mansour in the face (was it Croker?) but I have no idea how he stayed on the field. What a disgraceful act. Mansour was clearly rattled by it, but he got a standing ovation from the Western Grandstand as he went off up the tunnel (and responded with a big thumbs up to the crowd, whilst keeping his face buried in a towel).

I thought Checcin had an awful game. He was very inconsistent in his approach to the ruck. Early in the game he penalised us a few times for holding down, but then as the game went on he was allowing the Raiders to get away with murder (but we were no longer trying to hold down as long because of being penalised in the first half).

I couldn’t tell for certain from where I was sitting, but it looked to me that Whare had scored a try in the first half off a bat-back from DWZ, that Cecchin called as a knock on without going to the video, but then on the video seemed clearly to have gone back. I haven’t seen a replay yet, but was I wrong about that?

Then there was the tap from BJ off the penalty when he ran straight at Maloney and just scored. It happened so quickly and seemed so bizzare my immediate reaction was that Cecchin hadn’t properly alerted the players that it was play on. It can’t have been a quick tap either because it was inside the 10m. For those of you who watched on the video, what was the consensus?

Then there was the Rapana strip on Kikau. Live, from not too far away, it looked to me like a strip with 2 men in the tackle.

As to our performance, it was a mixed bag. Katoa got worse as the game on - I think it was fatigue. He started off well but his service and decision making became bad as the game wore on. I don’t think he can yet handle 80 minutes at dummy half. I think the extra fatigue was caused by the effort required to stop the large Canberra pack in defence. May should have come on earlier.

RCG looked good in his first game back.

Merrin was absoutey furious when he was interchanged with 20 minutes to go. He came to the side line but didn’t walk off and was having a heated exchange with the staff. When he finally came off he was so furious he walked off up the side of the field for about 30 metres before eventually coming back and sitting on the bench. Read into that what you will.

I thought Peach was brilliant. His dropped ball in the first half shifted the momentum but we should have been able to defend it. However in attack he was excellent. I don’t think we win the game without him.

Looking at our pack against the Raiders - and even our backs - there was a noticeable size advantage, on average, between the two sides. I think that was part of the reason why the game turned out how it did. We were having trouble slowing down the Raiders forwards. Our pack, by comparison, is quite tall and rangey. We come into our own the longer the game goes on, because without carrying as much mass we can have more cardiovascular endurance (I think it is recognised that we are one of the fittest if not the fittest team in the comp).

I think that is also part of the reason for why we start games badly but have such a good second half record. Other teams with bigger forwards we struggle to contain early in games, but as the game wears on we then run over the top of other teams with superior fitness.

The best form of games for us should therefore be games where we keep the ball in play for as long as possible. We should also be doing more to try to earn repeat sets.

Oh and Yeo had a blinder as always.

Croker hasn't played for weeks as he's injured. It was Rapana.

Kikau was trying to offload.

The elbow to Mansour was an accident.

The refs were fine mostly.

OldPanther

Coach
Just watched the game again, Cleary had a lot better game today. Some nice passes & that quality 40/20.

Maloney, boy I hope it’s just his broken thumb. Sure he can make up for his mistakes with some nice plays, but the intercepts & missed tackles are absolute killers.

We’re so lucky the raiders threw a forward pass 2 mins into the second half. I reckon if they score there we don’t come back.

Yep Cleary was great. Started running like a real half. Would look, pick his spot, run to get to the outside of the defender and then pick an option for pass or run. It was his best game for in my opinion. Less flashy tries but better halfback play.

OldPanther

Coach
That elbow was barely a penalty let alone a send off.

It definitely was a penalty and did people not see Rapana put the elbow in at the end.

PLAYER MISCONDUCT
A player is guilty of misconduct if he:
1 ‘Trips, kicks or strikes another player’

2 ‘When affecting or attempting to affect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly’

3 ‘Uses any dangerous throw when affecting a tackle’

4 Applies any unnecessary pressure or twists including grapples, crushers or performs a chicken wing on a player in possession

5 Unnecessarily contacts a player not in possession or a kicker (see Tackle and Play the ball)

6 When a defender forcefully spears at the legs of a player in possession exposing him to unnecessary risk of injury

7 Shoulder Charge (see Tackle and Play the ball)

8 ‘Disputes a decision of the Referee or Touch Judge’.

franklin2323

Immortal
An ex Panther in Wests got sent off in the NSW Cup game for saying something to the ref. Accident or not contact with the head is worse.

betcats

Referee
An ex Panther in Wests got sent off in the NSW Cup game for saying something to the ref. Accident or not contact with the head is worse.

It’s just different rules, a high tackle is worse but it’s not a send off 99 percent of the time.

betcats

Referee
It definitely was a penalty and did people not see Rapana put the elbow in at the end.

PLAYER MISCONDUCT
A player is guilty of misconduct if he:
1 ‘Trips, kicks or strikes another player’

2 ‘When affecting or attempting to affect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly’

3 ‘Uses any dangerous throw when affecting a tackle’

4 Applies any unnecessary pressure or twists including grapples, crushers or performs a chicken wing on a player in possession

5 Unnecessarily contacts a player not in possession or a kicker (see Tackle and Play the ball)

6 When a defender forcefully spears at the legs of a player in possession exposing him to unnecessary risk of injury

7 Shoulder Charge (see Tackle and Play the ball)

8 ‘Disputes a decision of the Referee or Touch Judge’.

Thee wasn’t much in it. Very much on the low end of the scale imo, it doesn’t say all accidental contact is a penalty.

tripster

Juniors
If they could do it without the added stress on my heart that would be appreciated. Absolutely fantastic so many results went our way.

I'll take Peachey at FB over Crighton on the wing.

Croker hasn't played for weeks as he's injured. It was Rapana.

Kikau was trying to offload.

The elbow to Mansour was an accident.

The refs were fine mostly.

Yes I meant Hodgson, not Croker. I couldn't tell from where I was sitting. Looking at the replay, I didn't think it was accidental. In any event at least we got a penalty.

I think Kikau was preparing to offload, but I think the ball was still safely in his arms at the time it was taken. It wasn't offloaded into Rapana's hands.

I don't agree about the refs being mostly fine, but it is all academic at this point, we've got away with the win.

OldPanther

Coach
Yes I meant Hodgson, not Croker. I couldn't tell from where I was sitting. Looking at the replay, I didn't think it was accidental. In any event at least we got a penalty.

I think Kikau was preparing to offload, but I think the ball was still safely in his arms at the time it was taken. It wasn't offloaded into Rapana's hands.

I don't agree about the refs being mostly fine, but it is all academic at this point, we've got away with the win.

I've since changed my mind on that contact. Looks like Rapana elbows Mansour deliberately right at the end.

age.s

First Grade
The refs were just run of the mill NRL bad. They were great for Canberra in the first half. Soft penalties, disallowed a fair try (DWZ pass), missed two knock ons in the set leading up to one of the Raiders tries. The call must have come in at half time because the exact opposite happened in the second half. Soft penalties our way, Jimmy's pass to Mansour was about 5 meters forward.

That said I thought the Kikau "strip" into Rapanas try and the Rapana elbow penalty were both fine calls. Kikau was definitely offloading. Leilua obstructing Peachey was 50/50 though.

Abacus

Juniors
Based on responses here and in the game day thread, I thought I must have been imagining Rapana's elbow. No doubt he went up for a charge-down but certainly looked like he brought is left elbow down prematurely to ensure contact with Mansour.

I'm not saying there was any malice intended, more that Rapana (who wasn't to know Mansour's kick would likely have ended up in Silverdale) was looking to make contact to impede the chase.

Kev07

Juniors
I've since changed my mind on that contact. Looks like Rapana elbows Mansour deliberately right at the end.
That was a great heads up play by May in that passage. Saw Rapana had made the tackle on Peachy and although had Maloney and Cleary outside him chose to go blind draw and get Mansour away.
If Mansour had passed instead of the kick,had Blake,May or Peachy in for a try.

betcats

Referee
It doesn't even matter if it is accidental or intentional. It only has to be 'unnecessary'. See paragraph 5.

It’s a long way from send off, I’m not saying it’s not a penalty but if it was let go I wouldn’t of cared. It’s like a head clash imo.

betcats

Referee
If we are going to talk about the refs then someone has to mention the forward pass on our second last try, it was a metre and a half forward. Also kiks definitely tried to offload when Rapana ran 90, take penrith glasses off, the refs weren’t that bad for us.

OldPanther

Coach
If we are going to talk about the refs then someone has to mention the forward pass on our second last try, it was a metre and a half forward. Also kiks definitely tried to offload when Rapana ran 90, take penrith glasses off, the refs weren’t that bad for us.

Yep.

Latest posts