What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v Dragons - Match Day Thread

themacemaceman

Juniors
I'm not going to give my usual analysis because the same problems plagued us tonight that have been the issue all season - lapses in concentration poor last tackle options, not capitalising on opportunities and dodgy goal line defence. One thing that I have noticed though that hasn't really been highlighted is how we play with urgency and increase the tempo of the ruck only when the game in on the line. This has been a worrying trend for us as it proves that we are more than capable of asking questions of opposition defences but seem to play with a slow tempo for most of the game. I can remember a similar situation when we played the eels earlier in the season where they dominated the contest with us hardly firing a shot in anger until the last 10 minutes where we began to speed up the ruck and shift the ball quicker and scored 3 late tries as a result. I don't think it is a terminal issue, I just think its a matter of urgency and that is what ultimately got us the victory tonight.

In terms of performances, I was really impressed with Cook. I seriously don't know why people carry on about the hooker situation - it has not been an issue this season as far as I am concerned; we have to good hookers who each offer something different. Cook's scoots out of dummy half really gave us momentum and eased the pressure for a lot of the forwards. I actually thought it was massive error when Madge took him off as he was playing really well but thankfully he brought him back on as we entered the home stretch.

I'd also like to take time out and praise the efforts of the Burgess twins. In all honesty, I feel that they haven't been that bad this season and have been made scapegoats of our poor results. Yes they have come up with handling errors but they are not making excessive amounts of them; its more the timing of their mistakes that has hurt us. If anyone doesn't believe me then have a look at the stats - the twins are not even in the top 20 players for handling errors this season. Hence, I think it would be fair to say that their poor handling has been grossly exaggerated. Moreover, it is clear to me that both are putting in and running with purpose and aggression. I thought they both played well last week and tonight Tom in particular really charged into the St George line.

The usual standouts for us this season again shone brightly for us - Crichton, Sam Burgess, Johnston had a good game and so did the rookie winger. Lastly, I would like to pay tribute to Bryson Goodwin. I know there are some members on here who love him and some who like to bag him. I think along with Sam Burgess he has arguably been our most consistent player over the last few seasons! I think the reason why he doesn't get more recognition is because he is a winger/three quarter and the result of the game isn't really going to hinge on his performance. Overall, he is a good solid first grade footballer and very rarely lets us down. I was listening to the call tonight and I liked how Greg Alexander praised him and said he is too good to be going to England.
Agree the twins are playing their best football this year in the last 2 games.
Your right about the number of errors they make..... they are not even in the top 50 in the league.
Radradra and Lafai both have 28.
Tom has 18 and George only 5 apparently.
But when you factor in minutes played Tom is making and error every 41 mins compared to 56 of Radradra and 51of Lafai.

George has an error every 84 mins and Sam every 66 mins.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Well done Bunnies. You guys simply wanted it more than us tonight.
We have a habit of losing to the teams copping it in the media and we kept that going.
Enjoy the win.

Honestly I can feel your pain after tonight's loss. You guys have a great forward pack. I think you guys actually dominated us in the middle. Hopefully Widdop can get back to his early season form.

Life's Good

Coach
Honestly I can feel your pain after tonight's loss. You guys have a great forward pack. I think you guys actually dominated us in the middle. Hopefully Widdop can get back to his early season form.
Thanks for the nice words but our season is done. We just done seem to want it enough and last this & this week prove it. Be good to see you guys jag a couple more wins to take something out of he season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Thanks for the nice words but our season is done. We just done seem to want it enough and last this & this week prove it. Be good to see you guys jag a couple more wins to take something out of he season.

I've felt the pain for a while now mate there's no need to kick a supporter when they're down haha. Honestly you guys will improve next year. The halves is your weakest department and that should improve with ben hunt coming in. There are positives to the 2017 campaign for the dragons. Your forward pack is awesome, your backs definitely have quality maybe minus mcdonald. Your team is on the up even if you guys can't see it now!

Plus it'll be a storm vs sharks grand final this year so the top 8 is kind of irrelevant this year anyway!!

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
To be brutally honest cook would had been a better fit at stmerge than dud turtlelegs mcinnes . just ask r20 he knows im right...Shadow...oh by the way mcinnes only gets worse you will off load him within 3-4 years ....

doyen

Bench
The bottom teams who are out of the 8 become the danger teams as they have no pressure,& therefore,play more openly without any matter if they lose.

I don't place much credence on our team or individual players performances at this time of year,especially those players who have been permanent fixtures & let themselves[& us] down when it really counted!

I will,however,look closely at players like Murray & Graham who have been tossed in at the deep end at the worst possible time for them. But they do have an opportunity so,I suppose, they're lucky. They both look very good to me!!

Life's Good

Coach
Thanks for that, I enjoyed the win but it's a shame to spoil your march towards the finals.
In all honesty you guys didn't spoil it our season. We have simply run out of puff. Winning 4 of our last 13 shows we wouldn't be much more than a speed hump if we somehow miraculously make the 8.

southsport

First Grade
In all honesty you guys didn't spoil it our season. We have simply run out of puff. Winning 4 of our last 13 shows we wouldn't be much more than a speed hump if we somehow miraculously make the 8.

I know what you mean, it can be better to miss the finals rather than scrape in and then get flogged.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Bring back Mcturtle has been said in here previously.

I'm rolling on the floor in laughter.....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The bottom teams who are out of the 8 become the danger teams as they have no pressure,& therefore,play more openly without any matter if they lose.

I don't place much credence on our team or individual players performances at this time of year,especially those players who have been permanent fixtures & let themselves[& us] down when it really counted!

I will,however,look closely at players like Murray & Graham who have been tossed in at the deep end at the worst possible time for them. But they do have an opportunity so,I suppose, they're lucky. They both look very good to me!!

Quite disappointed in this post doyen. I understand exactly why you put it up. You literally do not like cook at all.

The question that should be asked is why have we not been playing these players in the same position for the full season? If Madge doesn't give Cook the 80 minute gig next season then I've lost faith in him as a coach.