What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v Tigers @ Pepper Stadium

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Those of you bagging our props. Would you rather them take more hitups or Peachey, Mansour and co? We have a strong backline easily make 10+m a tackle off our line. If we have a set where both wingers and both centres have scoots we are over the halfway on the 4th.

With Edwards leading the way in that respect, but you don't want him there.

mxlegend99

Referee
Those of you bagging our props. Would you rather them take more hitups or Peachey, Mansour and co? We have a strong backline easily make 10+m a tackle off our line. If we have a set where both wingers and both centres have scoots we are over the halfway on the 4th.
Would we want Browne taking hitups from them? No.

Kikau or Akauolo... hell yeah. Would be nice to be playing through the middle off barnstorming runs and offloads from blokes drawing in defence. Thats the only way we can challenge the top teams... its what they're going to do to us.

franklin2323

Immortal
Would we want Browne taking hitups from them? No.

Kikau or Akauolo... hell yeah. Would be nice to be playing through the middle off barnstorming runs and offloads from blokes drawing in defence. Thats the only way we can challenge the top teams... its what they're going to do to us.

It wouldn't change though. a fresh defensive line wraps the ball up it is why every team has plodders starting. To keep the more impact guys for later

mxlegend99

Referee
It wouldn't change though. a fresh defensive line wraps the ball up it is why every team has plodders starting. To keep the more impact guys for later
Youre right... damaging forwards make no difference at all. Size. Strength. Intencity. They dont make any difference....

Plodders starting? The only teams with plodders starting are the ones who only have plodders.

The games best props start the games. Tamou and Browne is about as shitty as a starting front row gets. Although to be fair we are paying for Tamou to be the games best prop.

Tamou has been for us what Blair was for the Tigers. Only difference is it was easy to see Tamou being a dud buy.

mxlegend99

Referee
The FB usually takes the kick. So I mean more so the wingers taking the next hitups. Edwards would be in my team just on the wing so it would include him
Edwards is the complete package at fullback and will be talked about as one of our best ever fullbacks in a decade.

Plus both of our wingers are internationals who have their best footy ahead of them. Nothing to be gained by moving them.

franklin2323

Immortal
Edwards is the complete package at fullback and will be talked about as one of our best ever fullbacks in a decade.

Plus both of our wingers are internationals who have their best footy ahead of them. Nothing to be gained by moving them.

Wasn't Coote going to be a great too? Then Moylan. I will reserve judgement until he has played more then 20 games

franklin2323

Immortal
Youre right... damaging forwards make no difference at all. Size. Strength. Intencity. They dont make any difference....

Plodders starting? The only teams with plodders starting are the ones who only have plodders.

The games best props start the games. Tamou and Browne is about as shitty as a starting front row gets. Although to be fair we are paying for Tamou to be the games best prop.

Tamou has been for us what Blair was for the Tigers. Only difference is it was easy to see Tamou being a dud buy.

I mean to start. There is a reason Mannah starts over Matagi or Tolman starts over Kasiano.

Every team has a basic forward. Some are used differently then ours. We have our backs that are so good at coming off our line

betcats

Referee
"The best props starts" come on, that's such a basic way of looking at it. Browne starting and RCG off the bench has worked great for us.

Is the Browne thing really a big deal? Its temporary, once Bryce, JFH and Merrin are fully fit it wont matter.

I'd rather have Browne starting and RCG off the bench than RCG start and Browne come off the bench. Kikau is to error prone to play 10 minutes in the middle atm and Sitaleki may offer more than Browne but prior to this year he has been error prone himself. Browne wrestles well and slows down play the balls, I don't see the big deal, he isn't a starter long term but he can do the job for now.

There are always going to be middle forwards in our side who aren't running for big metres because of the way we play. The backs do most of the work, for whatever reason this is how hook wants it. I think guys like Browne and Leota are being told to focus mainly on defence, either way if they aren't taking many runs its by the coach's design because they wouldn't be retaining their spots otherwise.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Best option but not a good centre. You watch other centres in the comp those in the 8 anyway. They catch the ball while facing straight to have options. Peachey is always facing from where the pass came from. that is the start of it really winger can rush in and we can be taken easily.

Yep every centre in the top 8 sides plays the exact same way. It doesn't matter who has played in the centres for us our attack has been jammed in on and shut down around the edges all season. The fact that it is getting to the centres at all is an improvement, it used to be the the halves getting shut down. Peach could be facing anyway and it would get shut down.

OldPanther

Coach
"The best props starts" come on, that's such a basic way of looking at it. Browne starting and RCG off the bench has worked great for us.

Is the Browne thing really a big deal? Its temporary, once Bryce, JFH and Merrin are fully fit it wont matter.

I'd rather have Browne starting and RCG off the bench than RCG start and Browne come off the bench. Kikau is to error prone to play 10 minutes in the middle atm and Sitaleki may offer more than Browne but prior to this year he has been error prone himself. Browne wrestles well and slows down play the balls, I don't see the big deal, he isn't a starter long term but he can do the job for now.

There are always going to be middle forwards in our side who aren't running for big metres because of the way we play. The backs do most of the work, for whatever reason this is how hook wants it. I think guys like Browne and Leota are being told to focus mainly on defence, either way if they aren't taking many runs its by the coach's design because they wouldn't be retaining their spots otherwise.

I am more interested in seeing what happens with Merrin when he comes back. It's going to disrupt the pack in some way.

mxlegend99

Referee
I mean to start. There is a reason Mannah starts over Matagi or Tolman starts over Kasiano.

Every team has a basic forward. Some are used differently then ours. We have our backs that are so good at coming off our line
Yeah... they start ahead of those blokes because you cant get big minutes out of them.

Kasiano is f**ked after 5 minutes. Tolman as a basic forward averages 120m a game and 40 tackles... he gets through more work than our best forward.

betcats

Referee
I am more interested in seeing what happens with Merrin when he comes back. It's going to disrupt the pack in some way.

I hope that Bryce starts this week and from there out the 13 is his with Merrin shifting to Prop. Its the same job for Merrin in 13 or 8 so no big deal and Carty really gives us some attacking options playing lock. Much better pack that way with RCG and JFH on the bench.

OldPanther

Coach
I hope that Bryce starts this week and from there out the 13 is his with Merrin shifting to Prop. Its the same job for Merrin in 13 or 8 so no big deal and Carty really gives us some attacking options playing lock. Much better pack that way with RCG and JFH on the bench.

I completely agree. Who drops out of the 17?

Pomoz

Bench
It was quite noticeable last week that we were better in attack when Cartwright was on the field. A couple of times he just spread the ball wide like a half would, but the best thing was the defence jammed in on him because they don't know what he is going to do. This opened up space for other players. He is not a greedy player and will give the ball to others in a better position (are you reading this Tyrone?), so the defence is always in two minds.

We need this option, the short ball to Yeo is so overused it just kills our attack. Yeo must be fed up with it because he always has three blokes on him almost immediately.

if we can get Cartwright, Merrin and Moylan on the field at the same time and May as a utility, I think we can take our attack to a new level. That is provided Moylan allows Cleary to run the team and chimes in when it makes sense rather than try for a miracle for every play.