What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Cowboys @ Pepper Stadium

MrBlack

Juniors
Good win given it pretty secures our finals spot. We got lucky the cows couldn't keep a fit side on the field tho imo.

Peachey was f**king awesome, great game. I think it was molyans worst game of the year.

They should make the only focus this week getting a kick away, how hard is it to address that??

Also thought it was a good win. Lets not forget that (even with injuries) these guys were the premiers 2 years ago. They are playing to save their season now.

Thought Moylan was ok. Did a lot of cleaning up at the back in the first half. Not convinced his hammy is 100%. First time he didn't really over play his hand and gave a lot of the running to Cleary. Might just be getting that balance right???

Tamau now starting to prove his worth at the business end on the season. Mansour coming good after a long lay off.

Merrin to come back into that side so all in all starting to really look up.

betcats

Referee
Thought it was a good win.

Moylans returned from in

Also thought it was a good win. Lets not forget that (even with injuries) these guys were the premiers 2 years ago. They are playing to save their season now.

Thought Moylan was ok. Did a lot of cleaning up at the back in the first half. Not convinced his hammy is 100%. First time he didn't really over play his hand and gave a lot of the running to Cleary. Might just be getting that balance right???

Tamau now starting to prove his worth at the business end on the season. Mansour coming good after a long lay off.

Merrin to come back into that side so all in all starting to really look up.

Agree re the balance, Cleary was def directing more of the play. Moylan just seemed indecisive at times, he just needs to be more patient, he got a repeat set on sat with a nice grubbed when we were still only up 2 then another one straight after via that one on one strip and then after that set another repeat would of broken their backs instead he tries to run and ends up flicking it to rcg on 6th tackle which leads to a hand over.

MrBlack

Juniors
Agree re the balance, Cleary was def directing more of the play. Moylan just seemed indecisive at times, he just needs to be more patient, he got a repeat set on sat with a nice grubbed when we were still only up 2 then another one straight after via that one on one strip and then after that set another repeat would of broken their backs instead he tries to run and ends up flicking it to rcg on 6th tackle which leads to a hand over.

The halves are a definite work in progress, but getting better each week.

Cleary builds in confidence week on week and having his old 20's players around helps as well. Moylan just has to settle back and have that patience. Pick his moment.

I'm not complaining though. We keep winning.

Side note:

Lets pay some credit to the fitness levels of our team. We are still full of running at the back end of all our games. This is probably why we are getting a reputation as a second half team.?? We seem to up the pace at about the 60 min mark and that is when the opposition struggles to step up with us.

franklin2323

Immortal
Good win given it pretty secures our finals spot. We got lucky the cows couldn't keep a fit side on the field tho imo.

Peachey was f**king awesome, great game. I think it was molyans worst game of the year.

They should make the only focus this week getting a kick away, how hard is it to address that??

We work so well at the start of our sets. Seem to get to tackle 4 and lose our way. Tackle 4 Cleary shouldn't be getting tackled

OldPanther

Coach
The halves are a definite work in progress, but getting better each week.

Cleary builds in confidence week on week and having his old 20's players around helps as well. Moylan just has to settle back and have that patience. Pick his moment.

I'm not complaining though. We keep winning.

Side note:

Lets pay some credit to the fitness levels of our team. We are still full of running at the back end of all our games. This is probably why we are getting a reputation as a second half team.?? We seem to up the pace at about the 60 min mark and that is when the opposition struggles to step up with us.

Our fitness seems to come from our back 5 tacking a lot of the load off our forwards. If it's what works I won't argue.

MrBlack

Juniors
Our fitness seems to come from our back 5 tacking a lot of the load off our forwards. If it's what works I won't argue.

I did notice that this week. Blake was taking a lot of hit ups.

Added to this Griffin seems to be getting his bench rotation right. We rarely look down on our feet

betcats

Referee
We work so well at the start of our sets. Seem to get to tackle 4 and lose our way. Tackle 4 Cleary shouldn't be getting tackled

Cleary gets tackled late in the count a lot. I think when the defence rushes up on him he'd rather get tackled than force a bad pass but yeah it's not ideal.

Pomoz

Bench
I don't know about that, RCG and Tamou still did a mountain of work. I think they all look a bit fitter and it's really helping our Defence. We tackled for the first 40 and still finished with a wet sail.

I will say this, it's a definite tactic that works for us. Two wingers who can hit the ball up like props. DWZ was possessed against the Cowboys. He channelled Marty Lang and destroyed Morgan.

Are the days of the lightweight speed machine over? Robbie Beckett would never cut the mustard doing that stuff.

betcats

Referee
I don't know about that, RCG and Tamou still did a mountain of work. I think they all look a bit fitter and it's really helping our Defence. We tackled for the first 40 and still finished with a wet sail.

I will say this, it's a definite tactic that works for us. Two wingers who can hit the ball up like props. DWZ was possessed against the Cowboys. He channelled Marty Lang and destroyed Morgan.

Are the days of the lightweight speed machine over? Robbie Beckett would never cut the mustard doing that stuff.

Peachey and Waqa are both very strong runners, and then there is Edwards who cant run for less than 200m a game it seems.

I think the outside backs are a big reason we have finished games strongly this season, once the opposition forwards start tiring our backs just power us up the field and get us into scoring positions.

The cowboys game on Sat was extreme because they had no one on their bench for half a game basically, I thought they did amazingly well to hold us out so long, their cover/scramble defence was brilliant.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary gets tackled late in the count a lot. I think when the defence rushes up on him he'd rather get tackled than force a bad pass but yeah it's not ideal.

So he should sort it with his half partner and either go earlier or someone else kicks. Someone not RCG either..That was terrible

franklin2323

Immortal

That what I was saying when Moylan was FB he had no need to run it back. I think our forwards are in the same boat. Numbers are down because 3 or 4 tackles are the outside backs getting us to the halfway line. Glad we still use our outside backs no team works it off their line better then we do.

betcats

Referee
How many games has Matt had at 5/8?
I remember people saying same about lockyer after first 6mths and the same for Corey Norman who took 13mths to find his feet.
Has Moylan had more then 10 games there?

No he hasn't.

Your comment is spot on, it just takes time. He is going to be a great half for a long time once he finds just a little bit of patience and learns to build pressure but that may take some time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Peachey and Waqa are both very strong runners, and then there is Edwards who cant run for less than 200m a game it seems.

I think the outside backs are a big reason we have finished games strongly this season, once the opposition forwards start tiring our backs just power us up the field and get us into scoring positions.

The cowboys game on Sat was extreme because they had no one on their bench for half a game basically, I thought they did amazingly well to hold us out so long, their cover/scramble defence was brilliant.

They did the same the week before against the Storm. Took brillance to them away then too

hindy111

Post Whore
No he hasn't.

Your comment is spot on, it just takes time. He is going to be a great half for a long time once he finds just a little bit of patience and learns to build pressure but that may take some time.

I still remember most eels fans wanted Norman gone. His last tackle optiins where abysmal. Now he is the ,aster of forcing a line drop out. I even recall when we had signed Foran a few runour Norman to be released to Penrith and know oine on here wanted him either.
If Moylans failed by rnd 13 next season id re access

betcats

Referee
I still remember most eels fans wanted Norman gone. His last tackle optiins where abysmal. Now he is the ,aster of forcing a line drop out. I even recall when we had signed Foran a few runour Norman to be released to Penrith and know oine on here wanted him either.
If Moylans failed by rnd 13 next season id re access

Yeah guys like Norman and Moylan have every skill they need to be great halves, its just learning how to use them together effectively and when to push it and when to be patient. As you have alluded too Norman has become one of the best halves in the game after suffering similar issues as Moylan is now, I am more than confident Moylan can too. If he is still forcing passes etc midway through the year I'll worry, but for now while it can be frustrating to watch its just part of his learning curve.

The Teach

Juniors
I haven't been on since the game, but I have to mention Isaah Yeo is becoming a real unsung hero of this team. He is so consistent and solid, and in my opinion doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. No idea where we play Carty when we have such a solid back row of Isaah, CHN and Mez.

OldPanther

Coach
I haven't been on since the game, but I have to mention Isaah Yeo is becoming a real unsung hero of this team. He is so consistent and solid, and in my opinion doesn't get the plaudits he deserves. No idea where we play Carty when we have such a solid back row of Isaah, CHN and Mez.

Mez to prop Carty to lock.

Latest posts