What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Tigers.

st.phil

Bench
the dynamic of this match up works well for Drags fragile psyche - less pressure as everyone has already written them off. They will bounce back - can't be certain on the win but no way we could give away 7 consec penalties again so only way is up.

Bench
the dynamic of this match up works well for Drags fragile psyche - less pressure as everyone has already written them off. They will bounce back - can't be certain on the win but no way we could give away 7 consec penalties again so only way is up.
What ever happened to that signing that was to make our players more aware of referees and to reduce our number of penalties.

Crush

Coach
With the Broncos winning the tigers season is over if they lose.
Our season is in dire straights if we lose, so I expect to see the same intensity and passion we displayed against the Bulldogs in the last round of last year.

Does the scoreboard at Leichhardt go up to 3 figures for the home team?
Nah.
Wrong.
Dragons by 13+
Tigers season over. Cannot wait to see the tigers fans crying into their Balmain Lagers on the hill Leichhardt (from my living room obviously)

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor unfazed by NRL coaching silly season
Dragons Den
r2213_0_5472_3368_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MERCURY. NEWS. St George Illawarra Dragons back in training. 11 January 2018 . Picture: Sylvia Liber.

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has absolutely no fears over his immediate future after his name was tossed into the NRL coaches sorting hat this week.

It comes as 2010 premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett continues to be linked to a return to the Dragons as his own contract soap opera plays out in Brisbane.

Broncos CEO Paul White confirmed on Thursday that Bennett, who is contracted until the end of next season, will see out his current deal but it appears all but certain he won’t coach the club beyond 2019.

It leaves open the possibility that he could depart at season’s end, with the Dragons reportedly one of his preferred destinations.

Bennett’s sudden availability and previous links to the Dragons has drawn McGregor into the wider NRL coaching rigmarole that shifted into overdrive with the sacking of Penrith coach Anthony Griffin two weeks ago.

The Dragons run of five losses from their past six matches have put McGregor under the microscope, despite still being in the hunt for a top four finish, but he said he hasn’t felt the need to seek any assurances from the club over the final year of his deal.

“No not at all, I’ve got a year to fulfill on my contract and I’m here to do that,” McGregor said on Friday.

“I’m comfortable, we’ve only had one week out of the top four [this season]. It’s taken three years for us to build this team and it’s a team I want to coach and a team I enjoy coaching.

“I’ve got a coaching staff and a performance staff we’ve built over that period of time as well and we’ve got a football team here we think can win the competition.

“Nothing changes for me from day to day except going in and doing my best for the team to go out and perform.”

It’s a distraction the club doesn’t need as they wrestle with a late-season slump but McGregor said he’s not all surprised by the conjecture, that’s also surrounded Trent Barrett, Ivan Cleary and Anthony Siebold, in one of the most turbulent times for coaches in recent memory.

“It’s character building isn’t it?” McGregor joked.

“It’s professional sport, obviously [talk] started a couple of weeks ago when Hook [Griffin] got sacked from Penrith. When people are off-contract and names come up, or if a team dips in form, people talk about it. It’s something to talk about it.

“It’s strange at times but it is what it is. It’s nothing I can control and I’ve never given any energy to things I can’t control. There’s distractions for players if anyone needs to get hit with a stick it’s me not the players.

“The players need to be left alone to do what they do which is go out there and play footy. I’m the leader of them so, criticism can come at me, but I’d prefer everyone to back off the players a bit.”

After slumping to a 40-4 loss to the 15th-placed Eels last week, the Dragons could drop as low as seventh with a loss to the Tigers at Leichardt Oval on Saturday.

That prospect would really turn the heat up on the club but McGregor said the pressure runs both ways as the Tigers look to keep their slim finals hopes alive.

“They’re playing for their season so, when you talk about pressure, there’s pressure on them as well,’ McGregor said.

“We had some pretty confronting video after our last game. We’re not isolating one person, we’ve all been inconsistent in the past month and our standards we’ve set we haven’t lived up to over the last month.

“That’s the past, we’ve got to live in the now and look to [Saturday’s] game as the first step in the right direction.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5591987/mcgregor-unfazed-by-coaching-silly-season/?cs=3713

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Being an old Wollongong boy I often read the Dragons posts with interest and have to say you are certainly prolific posters.

Let me say Dragon supporters are very much like Tigers supporters, we love our clubs but we are totally frustrated in their erratic performances. Just let me say if you read our posts on this game we are just as concerned and worried about the result as you all are. You'll still be in the game don't worry.

I do agree though, I personally think a coach other than Macgregor would get you places.....he just can't seem to get you to the next level a team with your players should be at.

Good luck for the weekend.
Good luck to your team as well

ALSGI

Bench
Mary -
“That’s the past, we’ve got to live in the now and look to [Saturday’s] game as the first step in the right direction.”

Me -
Get on board people, stop sookin, get behind the boys. This will be a fire cracker of a game, so much at stake for both clubs.

Dragons 44-10.
Sims, Graham, Hunt, Dufty, McInnes, Nene, Aitken, JDB, Friz and LAM to shine - the rest will be solid.

Packer will be sin binned.

hazzbeen

Bench
Mary -

Me -
Get on board people, stop sookin, get behind the boys. This will be a fire cracker of a game, so much at stake for both clubs.

Dragons 44-10.
Sims, Graham, Hunt, Dufty, McInnes, Nene, Aitken, JDB, Friz and LAM to shine - the rest will be solid.

Your a Genius .......;)

Mary -

Me -

Dragons 44-10.

If the Dragons score 44 I may have a personal crisis.......in my pants.

2010Dragons

Bench
You are all in denial, didn’t any of you guys watch the parra games?
In the 45 years I have been supporting the once mighty Saints, the parra game was the worst I’ve watched live.
Seriously I’m thinking these soft clowns are deliberately tanking it. I don’t know why, maybe the fix is in, maybe they don’t care, or maybe they are too soft to play finals footy.
The dodgy referees will cane us with the penalties until the tigers have a comfortable lead and our marshmallows will start playing constructive footy with 10 minutes to go.
Tigers 26 St George Illawarra marshmallows 12.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Mary -

Me -

Dragons 44-10.

I suggest you make sure all the pointy and sharp objects in your house are well hidden as self harm might be your next resort to try and convince the bald moron the fans are desperate for something positive.

This Year?

Immortal
Your all in denial, didn’t any of you guys watch the parra games?
In the 45 years I have been supporting the once mighty Saints, the parra game was the worst I’ve watched live.
Seriously I’m thinking these soft clowns are deliberately tanking it. I don’t know why, maybe the fix is in, maybe they don’t care, or maybe they are too soft to play finals footy.
The dodgy referees will cane us with the penalties until the tigers have a comfortable lead and our marshmallows will start playing constructive footy with 10 minutes to go.
Tigers 26 St George Illawarra marshmallows 12.
I can totally see this happening.

Latest posts