What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Broncos

We got beat. No excuses. Hunt next year is going to be what we need.
We lacked direction in attack. Our kicking options were bad again.
Dufty played a solid game took two bombs and did ok.
The broncs didn't have it all like the last two weeks.
The worst thing from the game is Lafaii's hair cut
You could bring back Reg Gasnier, Raper, Langlands and Billy Smith in their prime and nothing will change unless McGregor goes.
Hunt will make a difference but he will not save us from poor coaching.

Press Conference: Round 24
Fri 18th August, 10:30PM
A A

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor and hooker Cameron McInnes discuss the Dragons' 24-12 loss to the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on Friday night.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/18/press_conference_rou.html
Ignoring McGregor for a moment, I thought young McInnes spoke intelligently and clearly about the game at the press conference - impressive.
When you compare that to Widdop's pathetic, disinterested one liners you have to wonder...

LINESPEED

Juniors
Ignoring McGregor for a moment, I thought young McInnes spoke intelligently and clearly about the game at the press conference - impressive.
When you compare that to Widdop's pathetic, disinterested one liners you have to wonder...
Our forwards have the laziest line speed in the NRL
No pressure at all on Milford
When will Mc I'm In A Daze wake up to this?
Bronco's line speed is an attacking weapon that smashed us last night
Widdop's not a captain & he seems to have lost his ability to throw a dummy??

Yup, the only line stepped we showed all night was players rushing out of the line and leaving holes for Broncos players to run through.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
He actually had Dugan at centre and Aitken on the wing. Doesn't matter when Aitken came back from injury he was always going to mark up against someone strong in centre/wing. The other option was Milne - know who I'd rather!

If let's say McGregor went outside of Aitken/Milne and kept Mann at 7, McDonald was out, who else you suggest? KFFL? Or bring someone in for their debut? Then we could criticise McGregor for giving a debut to someone in such a game against Oates and Moga.
Take your point bu imo we were never going to beat them in Brisbane...imo Milne could have played and Aitken could have had another week...you can tell hes shoulder is nowhere near right

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Glad you mentioned the lack of pressure on Milford....he looked a million dollars last night and thats because no one put any pressure on him at all....he just kept running across field feigning to pass and when he felt like it or saw a gap he went through it....hes a good player but teams like Melbourne and Roosters dont afford him that luxury........put him under pressure and hes a different player.....and your right our forwards line speed is bloody awful and has been for months.....once again it comes down to lack of vision by McGregor

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Wonder what excuses McGregor comes up with next week....."Its a pity we had to play at the foot of the mountains this week there was a cold wind blowing and the boys were still suffering from the flu they caught up in Brisbane"

Good effort from the boys last night. Broncos just a class above. Good to see Ben Hunt playing pretty well too and Dugan rubbish. Augurs well for next year.

Lol at the geniuses criticizing Mary for 'playing Dugan on the wing'. Maybe watch the game?

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Dennis
Agree
As I have said before widdop dosn't enjoy the media side.
He sould be rested as captain make tommo capt.
Let widdop just play

ALSGI

Bench
Yep, got the morning after blues badly, with the realisation of having to rely on other teams to make the 8.
Once the final team was named last night I thought we'd have a crack and we did. Not pissed off at the effort last night at all, but the errors and our long kicking game is terrible.
Plenty of mistakes, Duges had a shocker and Widdop was too quiet. They're still our best backs sadly and Duges 8 point mistakes were the difference despite his nice grubber for Vaughan.s try.
Mann still is a better option than McCrone and should have had most of the season to develop into the 7 role. With McCrone on the bench Mann wouldn't have known where he'd end up playing throughout the match and that's just bullshit. I like the fella and like his footy, but he made some mistakes last night that he will learn from. I hope he's in the 7 for the rest of the year. Our forwards went well I thought and matched their pack except in line speed, giving away too many metres.
Dufty is developing nicely.
We were outplayed by a better team that made fewer mistakes and had three quality halves but we were still in it.
We've still got a couple of games to go at least.
I'm gonna wait until then to have my dummy spit.

ps, How f**king good was HUNT !!!!

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Yep, got the morning after blues badly, with the realisation of having to rely on other teams to make the 8.
Once the final team was named last night I thought we'd have a crack and we did. Not pissed off at the effort last night at all, but the errors and our long kicking game is terrible.
Plenty of mistakes, Duges had a shocker and Widdop was too quiet. They're still our best backs sadly and Duges 8 point mistakes were the difference despite his nice grubber for Vaughan.s try.
Mann still is a better option than McCrone and should have had most of the season to develop into the 7 role. With McCrone on the bench Mann wouldn't have known where he'd end up playing throughout the match and that's just bullshit. I like the fella and like his footy, but he made some mistakes last night that he will learn from. I hope he's in the 7 for the rest of the year. Our forwards went well I thought and matched their pack except in line speed, giving away too many metres.
We were outplayed by a better team that made fewer mistakes and had three quality halves but we were still in it.

Well said agree

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Thanks mate good post......did Dugan play on the wing at any time last night...unfortunately I had umpteen phone calls and was in and out to the tv....what I did see he looked to be playing very wide and I assunmed he was out on the wing....must admit didnt watch much of the second half as I knew after the interval when they scored I thought we are gone

Crossbow

Juniors
Melbourne Brisbane Gf.Does not matter if we make the 8.Were just cannon fodder for the top teams.Watching the other teams out of contention and the bunnies look like there bringing thru some quality youngsters.Maybe if we were not clinging to the eight we may have done this also.Brisbane just to classy with Milford,Hunt at hooker and niko a real danger as well.When we make the semis again I want our team to have a real chance of going to the big dance not just to make up the numbers.The donkeys were just to clinical.We are well not up to that standard yet

getsmarty

Immortal
I honestly thought our second half attack was some of the best I had seen all year. We threw the kitchen sink at them. We were just beaten by a better side. Showed great signs for next season somethin to look forward to

I must have been watching a different game...The commentators even stated we look lost in attack/or words to that effect. Positives, The Mann try set up for Dugan..except he lost the ball and the try saving tackle on Alex Glenn in the 1st half.. Dufty looking more comfortable. Forwards had a dig...

Negatives...Nighty caught out on the edge...same sideways block plays still there...Line speed poor compared to other teams...has been a problem during the coach's entire time here. Coach has no Plan B...

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
I missed the game(school reunion)but caught some high(low)lights on Fox and read the game threads in the main forum, JA & here. To me it seems like we had the same problems that haven't been addressed since the slide - on field leadership, awareness of what's at stake, bench use, game tactics eg pressuring opposition player like Milford. I am at a loss to understand how the Axis of evil (Mary, Hornby & Young) have failed to put work in to fixing these. It just seems that they expected the slump to fade and we would somehow bounce back and make the finals.
5 from 14 - It sure isn't a mess but it sure is a waste.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Melbourne Brisbane Gf.Does not matter if we make the 8.Were just cannon fodder for the top teams.Watching the other teams out of contention and the bunnies look like there bringing thru some quality youngsters.Maybe if we were not clinging to the eight we may have done this also.Brisbane just to classy with Milford,Hunt at hooker and niko a real danger as well.When we make the semis again I want our team to have a real chance of going to the big dance not just to make up the numbers.The donkeys were just to clinical.We are well not up to that standard yet
If The Donkeys finish in the top 2 then they may play in the GF having a home semi.....otherwise for mine its Melb v Roosters