What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Raiders @ GIO Stadium

MrBlack

Juniors
Canberra act for a ruck penalty nearly every second play the,ball, and the refs fall for it too often.

Yes..... I used to like the Raiders. But all I saw Sunday was one team who did everything they could to scam a win (them) and one team who put in hard yards an played their hearts out to win at all costs (us).

Their tactic nearly got the better of us with that second half penalty count. So glad we have seen the last of Dave Taylor. That guy would fall over his own laces and expect a penalty.

If the Raiders just rolled up their sleeves and played footy they would have gotten away with the win.

betcats

Referee
Good win. Well done to the team and hook, 7 in a row in this comp is a big achievement.

I think the balance between Moylan and Cleary is just about where it needs to be the last two weeks.

Only complaint this week is the late tackle count penalties we keep giving up, they are killers, at least two of the raiders tries came off the back of these penalties.

skeepe

Immortal
Yes..... I used to like the Raiders. But all I saw Sunday was one team who did everything they could to scam a win (them) and one team who put in hard yards an played their hearts out to win at all costs (us).

Their tactic nearly got the better of us with that second half penalty count. So glad we have seen the last of Dave Taylor. That guy would fall over his own laces and expect a penalty.

If the Raiders just rolled up their sleeves and played footy they would have gotten away with the win.
Lol!

The Panthers had one intent, and that was to hold, wrestle and niggle.

Your style of play is a disgrace.

age.s

First Grade
The great troll rarely pokes his head into other forums. With any luck we legitimately pissed him off but I doubt it.

Only complaint this week is the late tackle count penalties we keep giving up, they are killers, at least two of the raiders tries came off the back of these penalties.

Indeed! It seems to be a common theme with the Panthers, especially during the last few weeks. They work so hard then stuff it up by giving a 5th tackle penalty and, as you said, leads to tries.

This needs to be rectified before the finals as we can't afford to give away cheap metres.

betcats

Referee
Indeed! It seems to be a common theme with the Panthers, especially during the last few weeks. They work so hard then stuff it up by giving a 5th tackle penalty and, as you said, leads to tries.

This needs to be rectified before the finals as we can't afford to give away cheap metres.

I've been thinking bout these penalties and I think they are something that happen as a result of us winning the ruck so well in recent weeks.

You win the ruck by slowing it down(obviously) and to slow it down you have to push the boundries a bit which is going to lead to penalties. Teams like Melb and Cronulla give away lots of penalties doing the same thing but I bet not many of them are late in the count. We just have to be a bit smarter in that regard. It's no good dominating the first 3 tackles if you give away a penalty of fourth.

Exsilium

First Grade
I dont mind losing a penalty count or missing out on the 50/50 calls so long as the attitude and response is a positive one.

Many a good side would fold under that pressure. We begged for 80 minute performances and the reality is now is that we don't give up on the game until the siren has sounded. Teams will know they will have to be on top of us ALL game to beat us.

The attitude shown by this side in recent weeks is indicative of their intention to be a good, consistent football side. Winning was always going to happen but to win against the pressure these boys have been under will prepare them for finals football.

That Canberra game was as close to finals footy as you could get.

chrisD

Coach
We didn't dominate in the ruck, forwards or backs. Over the course of 80mins it was a very even thing.

Blake dominated Croker.

TheFrog

Coach
The refs certainly tried hard for Canberra in the second half. A 5-1 penalty count and nearly every 50-50 call made the job very hard.
From memory that was the second half penalty count in Bathurst as well. Last year in the final it was 5-0 in the last 10 minutes. Hook knew we were going to get hammered in the penalties and said as much before the game.

mxlegend99

Referee
We didn't dominate in the ruck, forwards or backs. Over the course of 80mins it was a very even thing.

Blake dominated Croker.
Best young defender looked like his bitch. The way he got around Croker and strolled away to throw a beautiful pass to Cleary was incredible.

After bombing a try a few weeks back he has played it safe and setup a few since. He's our most improved these past few weeks IMO. He also forced Cotric into 2 errors by being fast enough to put him off contesting kicks.

To think most of this season was wasted with him getting a few dummy half runs and bothing more.

betcats

Referee

Blake dominated Croker.

Not for the full 80, but for large parts of the first half and some of the second we were slowing them down a lot more than they did. We'd start getting on top for a couple sets then let the pressure off with a penalty.

Fangs

Coach
Really shit. Not the worst centre to be fair but definately not among the best in the league. Would have a terrible choice for NSW.

YoungPanther

Juniors
I know guys like to start but geez it was nice to see a bench of
RCG, Mez, Bryce and May. You often hear smarter minds than mine say look at the bench for the impact, well we certainly had that in spades.

You can see they are improving every week. Hopefully it continues and we may have reason to get a tad excited.

franklin2323

Immortal
I've been thinking bout these penalties and I think they are something that happen as a result of us winning the ruck so well in recent weeks.

You win the ruck by slowing it down(obviously) and to slow it down you have to push the boundries a bit which is going to lead to penalties. Teams like Melb and Cronulla give away lots of penalties doing the same thing but I bet not many of them are late in the count. We just have to be a bit smarter in that regard. It's no good dominating the first 3 tackles if you give away a penalty of fourth.

Last tackle penalties may be from earlier in the count. Sometimes refs play advantage tackle 5 call it. For me it is the position 3 times on the halfway line we gave away penalties. There is no need to give away penalties outside of your own half

Latest posts