What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 v Storm - Match Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

callmack1

Staff member
Bro I don't like to say it but remember when myself and Shadow told you we were in a mess before the season started. We could see this kind of thing happening!!!! I know you are a guy who likes to be positive but Shadow and myself like to be realistic.......

I'm listening to 2gb radio and they said they thought at times we played ok and it was just Melbourne were so good!!!!!

They said Cook was tremendous last night along with Crichton and Murray.....

They said they were the only bright ones on a very dull night for us....

By the way Musgrove will be suspended for his shoulder charge and Sam just copped a fine for that incident in which I didn't see too much in that tbh........

I love your passion. Yes mate we are all hurting........... but we stick together and we are hardened Bunnies mate as you know. We been through so much mate......
Yep I do remember. I genuinely thought we'd be okay this year but to be fair, that was before GI went down. Not that he would've saved us.

We have been through so much and we'll get through this. I just hope it's sooner rather then later.

souths_reborn

Juniors
You've literally just outlined the only players who showed heart last night. That's why it's embarrassing. We have a few players who play well week in and week out and are dragged down by individual performances. This is why it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to up and leave. Madge doesn't punish poor performances he selects the same 17 the next week.

Twins are average NRL props that make little to no impact. They're not worth anything near 500k a season. They're worth closer to 300k. Their stats have dropped dramatically compared to the 2015 season. I don't care about the handling errors if they can put out decent numbers but they haven't been able to do that all season. Their numbers are well below a good prop in first grade let alone one worth 500k.

Farah is another waste of cap space. 500k for a bench hooker? Yeah no thanks... I'd much rather a player like James graham or Brett Morris in the team over Farah.

Your last point about the risk of kicking is completely false. Reynolds has had a shit kicking game all year. He doesn't just kick it dead. He either kicks it out of the sideline on the full or straight down the oppositions back 3 throat. Good halves have good kicking games. Corey Norman, Mitchell Pearce, Nathan Cleary are some of the best. Then you look at average kicking efficiencies this year you look at Mccrone, Townsend. Then you look at 50 piles of shit and then you look at hodkinson and Reynolds who hands down have the worst kicking efficiencies this year. Kicking is okay if you can actually kick. For some reason Reynolds cannot kick this year. It's not a pressure issue either.
Your post shows that you are just an 'armchair athlete.' How do you quantify heart and desire? Yes we were thrashed but players scrambled and put in. Just because a team gets thrashed doesn't mean they weren't trying. Sometimes you just have bad days at the office, others you just run into a quality unit. I think Saturday night was a bit of both. I can remember in the late 1990s, early 2000s those ordinary Cowboys teams with Scott Prince in them would have those games two or three times a season where they would slam 50 on a quality opponent (mainly St George-Illawarra if my memory serves me correct) Does that mean those quality teams weren't showing heart? Of course not! Yes we can be critical of the team but to say they don't care or didn't show heart is a massive insult.

As for Madge not punishing poor performances, I'm not sure where you got that from. He's dropped George Burgess to reserve grade earlier this year. David Tyrell has been dropped and so has Kyle Turner for their mediocre efforts. You have to remember that you can't drop everyone! I think what you mean to say is that there are some players who Madge selects who you feel should be dropped. If you are referring to the likes of Sutton then I agree!

The Burgess twins have been decent. I think there problem is that they are mentally weak and have let all this criticism get to them. Their handling has improved this season and they have run into form late in the season. You refer to 'putting out good numbers' as if it is the only thing that a good prop should be judged on and that is your mistake. Statistics have their places but first and foremost you should be watching the quality of a props carriers and what they do in defence. If you've had a look at the Burgess twins' work over the last few rounds then you'd realise they have been playing decent footy. In saying that, their early season form let them down and there is plenty of room for improvement in them without a doubt. I agree with Spud Carroll's assessment in that losing 5kgs would really help their mobility.

I laughed your point about bringing in James Graham or Brett Morris instead of Farah because they are both going into a rapid decline. They would both command big money, similar to what Farah is on and probably wouldn't do any better. In other words you'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul with that one! We are only paying Farah approximately 200k of his salary at present with the Tigers paying the rest. On the whole he has decent without setting the world alight. Cook looks a slightly better option at hooker because he is able to inject pace into our team and get our forwards moving in the right direction. The club are supposedly shopping him around for next season because they don't want to be paying 900k for a player who is 33-34 and I think that is a good decision.

I never said Adam Reynolds didn't do those things; all I did was make the point that Reynolds (and others) have conceded a lot of seven tackle sets this season. If you read the paragraph before I said that our last tackle options have been horrendous all year and Adam Reynolds is culpable for much of it given that he is in the team for his last tackle options. Again if you knew how to read, I never said that halves didn't need to have kicking games. What I said was that many modern day halves rely on one aspect of a halves role. Also, many of the players you've mentioned are mediocre kickers. For instance Corey Norman is more a ball runner - similar to Cody Walker.

The problem with Adam Reynolds' kicking this year has been his positioning. I have felt there have been times when he has stood too close to the rucks, other times he has stood too far behind and others he has been up too much. Another issue is that when close to the opposition goal line he will look up at a defender coming at him and grubber straight into his legs. Again this is more down to positional play than anything. I know it sounds nit picky but these subtle nuances are the difference between good halves and the great ones. Cooper Cronk is a great example! He always positions himself in the right spot to execute his kicks.

souths_reborn

Juniors
It's the way they are now performing at other clubs is the point. Their careers appear to be blossoming in new situations. Peats was mistreated in the end at Sths sometimes sitting on the bench for 75 mins of games,basically being humiliated into leaving his Jnr club. He walked for an opportunity that he wouldn't have received under Madge. Walker should have been kept & rehabilitated at his Jnr club--what a loss he's been!!
Nathan Peats has become an origin player and I like him. He needs to get away from the Titans though because that club is a sinking ship. The reason why he left was because Isaac Luke was in front of him and he wasn't getting the opportunities he needed to forge a first grade career. I don't think there was anything too personal behind it from both parties. The club has kept it under wraps pretty well but they were having on-going problems with Dylan Walker; his issues weren't a one off. He has been decent since he left us but I don't think he has been as lethal as he was in 2014.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed further but the player that I think we made a catastrophic decision in letting go was Nathan Brown. How he was allowed to leave the club I will never know. I was also baffled by the clubs decision to only offer him a deal worth $120k a season right after he was our best player last year along side Sam Burgess. His performances this year speak for themselves and Parra must be thinking all their Christmases have come at once when we threw him their way. The fact that he was voted by NRL fans as the buy of the season just adds insult to injury!

doyen

Bench
Nathan Peats has become an origin player and I like him. He needs to get away from the Titans though because that club is a sinking ship. The reason why he left was because Isaac Luke was in front of him and he wasn't getting the opportunities he needed to forge a first grade career. I don't think there was anything too personal behind it from both parties. The club has kept it under wraps pretty well but they were having on-going problems with Dylan Walker; his issues weren't a one off. He has been decent since he left us but I don't think he has been as lethal as he was in 2014.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed further but the player that I think we made a catastrophic decision in letting go was Nathan Brown. How he was allowed to leave the club I will never know. I was also baffled by the clubs decision to only offer him a deal worth $120k a season right after he was our best player last year along side Sam Burgess. His performances this year speak for themselves and Parra must be thinking all their Christmases have come at once when we threw him their way. The fact that he was voted by NRL fans as the buy of the season just adds insult to injury!

Totally agree--but my point is that he probably would have been hindered in his development under Madge.
He is playing much better footy under Arthur,IMO.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Totally agree--but my point is that he probably would have been hindered in his development under Madge.
He is playing much better footy under Arthur,IMO.
I don't think he would have been hindered simply because he is not really an ad-lib footballer. Players who like to express themselves, like Matt Moylan will struggle under a coach like Madge. In saying that, I think he has been much more relaxed in terms of structure this season that he ever has been before. This is probably because has genuine ad-lib footballers in Angus Crichton, Cody Walker and to an extent, Cameron Murray.

doyen

Bench
I don't think he would have been hindered simply because he is not really an ad-lib footballer. Players who like to express themselves, like Matt Moylan will struggle under a coach like Madge. In saying that, I think he has been much more relaxed in terms of structure this season that he ever has been before. This is probably because has genuine ad-lib footballers in Angus Crichton, Cody Walker and to an extent, Cameron Murray.

Brown is a natural ball-player & is displaying that at the Eels.

At times he showed this skill at Sths but it was nipped in the bud as being too risky.

I reckon he was peed off at Sths & welcomed a fresh start.

Arthur has a great reputation as a people person whereby I don't think Madge is naturally gifted in that dept!!

Travitoh

First Grade
Shadow is a ticketed member you know......

He's therefore more than a supporter.

A supporter is someone who supports but won't commit!!!! Eg. I support the Swans!

That type of elitism is a load of wank.
It's great that you are a member and proud to be one, I'm not going to knock that but the lack of respect for others who aren't for whatever reason is poor form.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Your post shows that you are just an 'armchair athlete.' How do you quantify heart and desire? Yes we were thrashed but players scrambled and put in. Just because a team gets thrashed doesn't mean they weren't trying. Sometimes you just have bad days at the office, others you just run into a quality unit. I think Saturday night was a bit of both. I can remember in the late 1990s, early 2000s those ordinary Cowboys teams with Scott Prince in them would have those games two or three times a season where they would slam 50 on a quality opponent (mainly St George-Illawarra if my memory serves me correct) Does that mean those quality teams weren't showing heart? Of course not! Yes we can be critical of the team but to say they don't care or didn't show heart is a massive insult.

As for Madge not punishing poor performances, I'm not sure where you got that from. He's dropped George Burgess to reserve grade earlier this year. David Tyrell has been dropped and so has Kyle Turner for their mediocre efforts. You have to remember that you can't drop everyone! I think what you mean to say is that there are some players who Madge selects who you feel should be dropped. If you are referring to the likes of Sutton then I agree!

The Burgess twins have been decent. I think there problem is that they are mentally weak and have let all this criticism get to them. Their handling has improved this season and they have run into form late in the season. You refer to 'putting out good numbers' as if it is the only thing that a good prop should be judged on and that is your mistake. Statistics have their places but first and foremost you should be watching the quality of a props carriers and what they do in defence. If you've had a look at the Burgess twins' work over the last few rounds then you'd realise they have been playing decent footy. In saying that, their early season form let them down and there is plenty of room for improvement in them without a doubt. I agree with Spud Carroll's assessment in that losing 5kgs would really help their mobility.

I laughed your point about bringing in James Graham or Brett Morris instead of Farah because they are both going into a rapid decline. They would both command big money, similar to what Farah is on and probably wouldn't do any better. In other words you'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul with that one! We are only paying Farah approximately 200k of his salary at present with the Tigers paying the rest. On the whole he has decent without setting the world alight. Cook looks a slightly better option at hooker because he is able to inject pace into our team and get our forwards moving in the right direction. The club are supposedly shopping him around for next season because they don't want to be paying 900k for a player who is 33-34 and I think that is a good decision.

I never said Adam Reynolds didn't do those things; all I did was make the point that Reynolds (and others) have conceded a lot of seven tackle sets this season. If you read the paragraph before I said that our last tackle options have been horrendous all year and Adam Reynolds is culpable for much of it given that he is in the team for his last tackle options. Again if you knew how to read, I never said that halves didn't need to have kicking games. What I said was that many modern day halves rely on one aspect of a halves role. Also, many of the players you've mentioned are mediocre kickers. For instance Corey Norman is more a ball runner - similar to Cody Walker.

The problem with Adam Reynolds' kicking this year has been his positioning. I have felt there have been times when he has stood too close to the rucks, other times he has stood too far behind and others he has been up too much. Another issue is that when close to the opposition goal line he will look up at a defender coming at him and grubber straight into his legs. Again this is more down to positional play than anything. I know it sounds nit picky but these subtle nuances are the difference between good halves and the great ones. Cooper Cronk is a great example! He always positions himself in the right spot to execute his kicks.

Armchair athlete? I played rep footy up until the age of 17. Of course I don't play anymore so I guess everyone on this site is an armchair athlete. I don't think you've played a single game of footy in your life. The fact that you can sit there and act like everything's okay completely proves it. When you lose a game by that much there is always internal problems within the team. It is highly possible for players at NRL level to not show heart. The fact that you just dismiss it is just ignorant.

Rabbits20

Immortal
we just got flogged 11 tries to 1 try and another dont knower wants dud turtle legs mcinnes back at souths NFI as always oi r20 im on my room floor giggling my head off with the mediocre above comment...Shadow...
I'm on the floor currently and I'm having the best laugh.....

He's having us on Shadow............

I can't stop laughing.......

Rabbits20

Immortal

Buy of the season!!!!! Ouch..........

That stings hard.......

Rabbits20

Immortal
That type of elitism is a load of wank.
It's great that you are a member and proud to be one, I'm not going to knock that but the lack of respect for others who aren't for whatever reason is poor form.
Swans members I know say the same thing to me! It doesn't hurt me as it's the truth!!!

When you commit to a club it's taking that next step!

The way Southy treated Shadow who is a diehard member isn't right! That's how this started!!

I just wish they'd both sort it out and get over it tbh......

Status
Not open for further replies.