What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 26 - Parramatta Eels v South Sydney Rabbitohs GAME DAY THREAD

Eelementary

Post Whore
My memory has forgotten that game. Can someone enlighten me? I remember losing 12-6

Morrison got over the line with minutes to go, but due to Storm defenders, the ball could not be seen clearly.

But due to Morro's body positioning, it was clear as day that he scored in the corner.

Video ref denied the try, despite there being no clear evidence to say it wasn't grounded. Should have been Benefit Of The Doubt - instead, we got screwed.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hard to gauge how we'll go vs Storm bc we hardly ever play them. This year they were origin depleted. Last year each team was at full strength but it was 2 weeks after we were docked points, we played at home in front of a measly 9,000 and they won 18-6.

It's true that they were missing their Origin stars this year - but they still had their wingers, centres, impressive forward pack, and coach.

I'm not saying we will beat them, or even do so easily - but I reckon we are in with a massive chance.

We always aim up against good teams - look to us making Brisbane our bitches for proof.

Gronk

Staff member
It's true that they were missing their Origin stars this year - but they still had their wingers, centres, impressive forward pack, and coach.

I'm not saying we will beat them, or even do so easily - but I reckon we are in with a massive chance.

We always aim up against good teams - look to us making Brisbane our bitches for proof.

Both Broncos games has pretty clean rucks and quick play the balls. Do you think that will happen vs Storm ? I must watch the Raiders game to see if Ref Smith dictates the play.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Both Broncos games has pretty clean rucks and quick play the balls. Do you think that will happen vs Storm ? I must watch the Raiders game to see if Ref Smith dictates the play.

I don't see why not.

Tbh, Melbourne don't like defending against our style of play much (forwards interchanging passes, offloads); we are bound to upset their rhythm, and from there, anything can happen.

I don't think last night was an indication of what we can bring to the table come the Finals.

The team pretty much coasted through the match, and still accounted for a competitive Souths side.

Not to mention that Semi will most likely school Vunivalu all over again...

I don't know.

It won't be easy, but I'm quietly confident we can win.

Plus I reckon personalities like Kenny and Browny will help ruffle some feathers; while the Storm are very professional, I can totally see Kenny rustling some jimmies.

Morrison got over the line with minutes to go, but due to Storm defenders, the ball could not be seen clearly.

But due to Morro's body positioning, it was clear as day that he scored in the corner.

Video ref denied the try, despite there being no clear evidence to say it wasn't grounded. Should have been Benefit Of The Doubt - instead, we got screwed.
Thanks. Went searching Youtube but nothing. The game I remember like yesterday was the 2007 prelim final where the Storm resorted to ripping Caylos arm out of the socket and had a go at Guru as well.

Bazal

Post Whore

I think he was about 15m to the left of the posts from memory. And I seem to remember there was one angle that appeared to show what looked like the ball on the ground.

Under the rules at the time it was BOTD at worst, never should have been a No Try decision. But it was Hollywood Harrigan in the box....

hindy111

Post Whore
I want rain and a slop feast...

High chance if lose we play sharks.

Id rather if lost had any of the other 3 sides.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he was about 15m to the left of the posts from memory. And I seem to remember there was one angle that appeared to show what looked like the ball on the ground.

Under the rules at the time it was BOTD at worst, never should have been a No Try decision. But it was Hollywood Harrigan in the box....

I thought it was in the corner, but you're absolutely right - BOTD at absolute worst.

We were robbed.

Bazal

Post Whore
I want rain and a slop feast...

High chance if lose we play sharks.

Id rather if lost had any of the other 3 sides.

A slog fest plays into Melbourne's hands. They are the masters of the slow game, but they can be caught out with a fast high intensity approach with the ball.

84 Baby

Referee

Was it also the game where Inu was disallowed a try because a bees dick of his shoe touched another bees dick of the sideline

lingard

Coach
I may be crazy... but honestly, I think we're a real chance against the Storm.

We all know we clock off mentally against teams we should beat - it was actually pretty encouraging that we played like rubbish most of the night, but found a way to win.

We always aim up against the good teams (except for the ambush against the Roosters).

I'm not saying it will be easy, but I honestly think we are in with a shot here.

I agree with you. In boxing they say styles make fights. I think we can say that our style troubles the Broncos big time. And I think we are one of the few clubs whose style really troubles Melbourne. If we can ambush them like we did with the Broncos we really could beat them. And coming off a pretty average performance, I reckon the Eels will be ready for the game of the season. Jumping out of their skins. This is a dangerous game for Melbourne.

Some have accused BA in the past for not whining in the presser about refs, well he did that last night by asking to be able to play footy vs Storm. He wants quick play the balls.
Should make the boys watch hours of Michael Hancock getting tackled.

lingard

Coach
We have overachieved but great to get to the top 4. We will lose both finals but it will be a huge learning curve for nect year. Finals experience is priceless in the long term

I don't think we'll lose both. Either we put in a monster effort and beat Melbourne, or we get flogged and come out breathing fire in the second final. But you're right about finals experience. It will be great experience for next year. (I wonder how much more confident we'd be with French and Gutherson in the side?)

Djay

Juniors
I am also quietly confident about next week, in attack I think we are one of if not the most dangerous side in the competition, we look dangerous every time when we are on and if we turn up like we did against the Broncos we will go very close to beating the Storm, my main concern is our defence I am not sold at the moment and if our defence is on next week that will be the clearest indication of if we can beat them for me.

The Storm definitely don't like our style of attack and it will disrupt they're defence, our edges IMO are superior, it's just the ruck, the flow of the game and we need to defend much better, past few weeks haven't been good.

I still am confident and hope we turn it up a notch, we just have to hang with them early get a bit of confidence through defence and then our attack will really come to the show.

lingard

Coach

Yes. They didn't have their stars, but they still had their 'system' or 'style', which they rigidly adhere to. And our style seems to trouble them. We are in with a reasonable chance. Especially if we get ahead early.

lingard

Coach
Last night, a lack of patience nearly cost us the game. I think Parra wanted to rack up another big score - without setting the groundwork first. With more patience and more forwards running straight and hard, we probably would have won the game easily. We're a better team than that.