What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 V Knights

Our forwards way to big, too mobile and really layed a platform for tonights big win.

Hard to single anyone out in particular but certainly Isaah Yeo & Peter Wallace were outstanding.

Probably tried a little too hard in the 2nd period and pushed a few passes which led to unforced errors.

We will surely need to step up another gear next Saturday night against the Storm who certainly won't be as easy to roll over as tonight's opposition were.

Special mention to the coach in giving CHN his debut. It surely would have been the easy option to bring in Browne or Leota but he blooded the debutant and that is surely to his credit. It was a very, very promising debut. He was a very elated young man at the end of game and soaked up the occasion with his fans and family. He is NRL quality no doubt, sad thing is he is another who we may struggle to hold onto and may have to go elsewhere to get a regular NRL spot.

It will be interesting to see what squad we take to Melbourne. Will Cartwright be brought back in or will coach Griffin go with the players who have done well in the last three games (despite losing the close one to the Roosters). Personally I would stick solid with tonight's 17. I know it's a tough call on Bryce but his injury coupled with his personal off field issues he may just benefit from playing a game or two in the NSW Cup.

Fox Sports said pre-game that Carty has a slight fracture and is out another 4 weeks.

Kilkenny

Coach
Fox Sports said pre-game that Carty has a slight fracture and is out another 4 weeks.

I had heard that but coach Griffin in his press conference didn't seem to confirm it!! I got the impression Carty was close to being right, but not quite for tonight's game. I will listen to the press conference again.

Regardless, as we have shown we can cover the absence of Bryce such is the depth of playing talent we have. Obviously a 100% fit and in form Bryce Cartwright walks straight back into the side but it hasn't been the start to the season we were hoping for Bryce.

tripster

Juniors
Always enjoyable to win by a landslide but I felt like Newcastle weren't even close to our level. So it wasn't much of a test for us.

However, one thing that seems pretty clear - we are good at scoring from 25 metres or more out, but we aren't great at setting up scoring plays when we are on the other team's goal line. TMM seems to be the only one who will put in a kick behind, and he rarely ends up with the ball on the last. That's an area we need to work on.

mxlegend99

Referee
If making the most metres against Newcastle is your measure of a front tower then great for you. As I said before the game, it papers over the cracks. Moylan's fullback play also looked good and if Cartwright had been out there his defence would have seemed fine too.
You need to lay off the drugs. They all played the same team and he was the best. If the team he played was responsible they would be even better again.

Doomednow

Bench
Nothing to add except how good was that one particular Yeo run towards the end where he made an extra 20 m with 3 knights on him.

hindy111

Post Whore
Cartwright stiffles the attack.And momentum stops.
Prefer hard punchy runners who can tackle. Let the halves hooker and moylan run show with guys lile peachy floating.
Bryce is a bench player for mine. You chose your best defensive 13 and he aint that.

franklin2323

Immortal
Tripster. Spot on that is why we struggle against strong defence. Melbourne next week will give penalties away so they are set. We need to work on that and get it right for end of the year

franklin2323

Immortal
Moving Yeo to the right was a master stroke. CHN proved once again we have great depth. Whare's flick pass was awesome as was scoring 40 points with Moylan being quiet

tripster

Juniors
Tripster. Spot on that is why we struggle against strong defence. Melbourne next week will give penalties away so they are set. We need to work on that and get it right for end of the year

I think we were better at scoring on the goal line in past years and think that was because we used to offload a lot more. I suspect in striking the balance between less errors and chancing our hand in attack, the team is under instructions not to take any risky offloads.

However, in circumstances where the alternative is just to get caught with the ball in hand on the 5th, I think we should offload more when on the goal line even if we don't offload so much in general play.

Pomoz

Bench
For mine, when he is fit again Bryce will be the x factor that raises us to the next level. When those sweeping plays aren't working and you need somebody to pull off an offload or tackle bust, that's when Byrce steps up. He give us variation in attack other teams don't have. Errors will be part of that, its just experience when to run a play and when to hold onto the ball. He got better at that as the season went on.

As for his defence, he improved that last season as the year went on and I expect the same again this year. He will need at least four weeks to get match fit though. he is a big bloke and will need a run.

bebo

Juniors
Cartwright stiffles the attack.And momentum stops.
Prefer hard punchy runners who can tackle. Let the halves hooker and moylan run show with guys lile peachy floating.
Bryce is a bench player for mine. You chose your best defensive 13 and he aint that.
Stifles the attack? You have no idea do . If he is so bad why even waste a bench spot on him let's just get another robot to take his place and piss him off to another club and be done with it

Latest posts