What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 V Knights

mxlegend99

Referee
So who was the cover in round one? Bench was Leota, Browne, Latu, JFH. If Hiku went off who covers? There's only Yeo who can shift in that team. Why is it ok for round 1 but that doesn't work in round 3? Not buying that it's just avoiding making a tough decision and dropping Hiku.
This. I knew he wouldn't have the balls to drop him. What happens when Mansour comes back? We carry 2 backs on the bench? Matt Elliott did the exact same thing with Purtell. We have a fit backline all better than him... so we just bech him.

Yeo can easily move to centre. Dwz can move to fullback. Whare can move to wing. Villiame Kikau also played some centre in the 20s too. Wheres our cover if Peter Wallace gets injured? A bench hooker actually makes sense. A winger doesn't. I think we should have a proper utility / hooker on our bench. Most teams do.

Or even throw in a second rower who plays some centre. Jed Cartwright. CHN... Players who actually offer something to a fit team and flexibility if we get an injury. But really we can cover all positiins well with a shuffle except hooker.

pandas

Juniors
Things change. Maybe Hook has had a rethink since round 1 about the best way he can use his players. I'd say he has a bit more of an idea of the inner workings of the squad than anyone here. Also, internationals don't play reserve grade. Hiku's not my favourite player but I honestly don't think his form has been that bad. Doesn't warrant the hate he's getting on here anyway.

Last edited:

kinghippo

Juniors
Neither leota or Browne named in lower grade, that's not a good sign. Someone won't be playing this weekend.

Things change. Maybe Hook has had a rethink since round 1 about the best way he can use his players. I'd say he has a bit more of an idea of the inner workings of the squad than anyone here. Also, internationals don't play reserve grade. Hiku's not my favourite player but I honestly don't think his form has been that bad. Doesn't warrant the hate he's getting on here anyway.

Internationals don't play reserve grade?

Anyone plays reserve grade if they lose form, he's hardly some legend of the game.

betcats

Referee

It could be anyone of our outside backs besides Peach being picked on the bench and I would be bagging the selection.

Have felt for a while that if this current squad succeeds it will be in spite of hook, not because of him. He just doesn't inspire confidence.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

mxlegend99

Referee
We're wasting a bench spot on a centre / winger. Whether he's an international or a reserve grader that doesn't change how stupid it is.

Tim Sheens used to do the same thing at the Tigers. Matt Elliott did the same thing when he was here. Jason Taylor has done it.... it's a waste if a bench spot and interchange to carry a bloke who only cover positions that you expect 80 minutes from. Especially on a player lacking match fitness. It would be better for him and the team if he played 80 minutes in NSW Cup rather than a cameo off the bench.

In the event of injury we can get by without him anyway. Our team makeup basically means Peter Wallace is our most important player. He goes down and theres no decent option to replace him. Mitch Rein would be better than Hiku on the bench

Fangs

Coach
In Hook's defence, Hiku didn't play too badly in the game last week.

He still shouldn't be in the team. If he isn't starting in the back 5 then let him play for Windsor. If he doesn't like that then release him to a club that will give him a start (Too good to play reggies).

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I like Hiku, but he is unfit. He needs game time and to be told to eat fewer pies. Being carried on the bench makes zero sense, because he has even less incentive to slim down if he is playing restricted minutes. It's dumb.

TheFrog

Coach
Who was it who said "If you listen to the fans you end up sitting with them". Either Gus or Hook.

This coach appeared to make some odd selections last year, but the proof of the pudding was in the eating. He might see Hiku's future in the backrow.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Who was it who said "If you listen to the fans you end up sitting with them". Either Gus or Hook.

This coach appeared to make some odd selections last year, but the proof of the pudding was in the eating. He might see Hiku's future in the backrow.

You don't really need take time out of your day to reply to these things anymore. Your opinion about everything - "don't argue, the club/coach/whoever are correct" - can just be taken as read regardless of the topic.

mxlegend99

Referee

The coach isnt always riggt though. Some things are proven to work based on years of it doing so. Others are proven not to based on the same thing.

Backs on the bench are a waste of a bench spot, an interchange and an opportunity for fitness to a player who should be playing 80 minutes.

If Peta Hiku is viewed as a second rower now. Develop him there in reserve grade. It helps no one having him on our bench. Zac Hardaker was a wasted bench spot too. He had one game where he got big minutes due to injury and Yeo could have easily done that for us.

The best bench formula has never included a winger/centre.

TheFrog

Coach
You don't really need take time out of your day to reply to these things anymore. Your opinion about everything - "don't argue, the club/coach/whoever are correct" - can just be taken as read regardless of the topic.
The same could be said of all the whingers, not just youself. After all, he's gonna do what he's gonna do.

franklin2323

Immortal
The coach isnt always riggt though. Some things are proven to work based on years of it doing so. Others are proven not to based on the same thing.

Backs on the bench are a waste of a bench spot, an interchange and an opportunity for fitness to a player who should be playing 80 minutes.

If Peta Hiku is viewed as a second rower now. Develop him there in reserve grade. It helps no one having him on our bench. Zac Hardaker was a wasted bench spot too. He had one game where he got big minutes due to injury and Yeo could have easily done that for us.

The best bench formula has never included a winger/centre.

no but if it fails. The coach has no job meanwhile we can sit here and whinge about the next coach. He has a plan whether it works or not time will tell. It's not like it is a 82kg winger. Hiku has some size maybe he wants to use him as a backrower given the depth we have in the backs

If Wallace goes off. Peachey needs to be replaced somehow

betcats

Referee
I'll wait and see if we actually pick Hiku off the bench again or not, but if we do and Hiku just does a similar cameo to last week then its just a waste. Why would we want a poor defender in Hiku coming on? id rather an actual forward doing that even if it is just 10 minutes, hiku just adds another shit defender to a defensive line that already has a number of shit defenders. Yeo can cover Peachey if we need to move him in field for whatever reason, he has done it a hundred times already.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'll wait and see if we actually pick Hiku off the bench again or not, but if we do and Hiku just does a similar cameo to last week then its just a waste. Why would we want a poor defender in Hiku coming on? id rather an actual forward doing that even if it is just 10 minutes, hiku just adds another shit defender to a defensive line that already has a number of shit defenders. Yeo can cover Peachey if we need to move him in field for whatever reason, he has done it a hundred times already.

Yeo is our best defender though. We move him we leave a huge hole in defence

mxlegend99

Referee
no but if it fails. The coach has no job meanwhile we can sit here and whinge about the next coach. He has a plan whether it works or not time will tell. It's not like it is a 82kg winger. Hiku has some size maybe he wants to use him as a backrower given the depth we have in the backs

If Wallace goes off. Peachey needs to be replaced somehow
Yeo can cover the centres if we need to. Although if Peachey moves to hooker we have 2 weakened positions. He's simply not a first grade quality hooker.

That's why a hooker or utility with ability to play hooker reasonably is common on the bench. It's an important position. If you dont have a bloke giving decent service and defending well there you have pretty nuch lost any chance at winning. A shit hooker makes it harder for everyone to perform.

If Griffin wants Hiku to be a second rower I am fine with that. But do it in reserve grade. Let him get match fitness and more game time. Its better for him and our team.

betcats

Referee
Yeo is our best defender though. We move him we leave a huge hole in defence

Hiku has been a huge hole whenever picked in the centres. You cant have a perfect replacement for every position in case of injury. Im with Mx here, id rather pick Rein or someone who actually has a chance at providing some impact or a promising young guy like May or CHN. If no one gets hurt Hiku gets a small stint as a back rower, he offers nothing in that role, he isn't a hard runner or good defender. So unless one of or outside backs get hurt he is a negative when on the field so leave him on the bench for 80. We don't need to play him, if he isn't getting picked to cover an injury and there is no injury why put him on at all?