What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

Drag Queen

Bench
widdopg-180401_gt_22.jpg

DRAGONS

How Dragons went from 40-minute team to genuine contenders
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 1 Apr 2018, 08:14 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons were statistically the second-best team in the NRL last year up to half-time of matches but failed to make the finals. This season, they are going on with the job for the full 80 minutes and are on track for a top-four finish.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor revealed the statistic about his team’s first-half performances in 2017 after their 30-12 defeat of Newcastle, and outlined why he believed they were better placed to capitalise on their perfect start to the season.

Under McGregor’s coaching, the Dragons won six of their first seven matches last season and six of their first eight games in 2015 but the club has never previously been unbeaten after the opening four rounds since the formation of the joint venture in 1999.

Only 20 teams have won their first four matches in NRL history and 14 of them have finished in the top four, while four have won the grand final.

"It is a different group, the balance of our squad is much improved," McGregor said. "We certainly learned a lot as a group, and as a coaching staff.

"I’m into my fourth year and we have bought in a halfback [Ben Hunt], we have bought in a front-rower [James Graham], our youth are on their second or third year after their debut and they have had a couple of good pre-seasons, so the depth of our squad is deeper."

The key areas of improvement are their fitness and game management.

Dragons stay perfect in 2018

With Hunt and skipper Gareth Widdop in the halves, the Dragons have two world-class playmakers who are able to sum up the game and make good decisions.

Hunt’s arrival has freed up Widdop to play a running game at five-eighth and he has been popping up on either side of the ruck to provide another attacking option.

"I feel a lot more comfortable in the [coach’s] box with the way the guys are game managing around the important times and field position," McGregor said.

"We needed to work hard and get a really good physical base and a better technical understanding.”

In defence, the Dragons have conceded just 48 points in four games, with their 20-16 win over Cronulla Sharks in round two being their closest match.

However, it is not just the difficulty other teams are having breaking their defensive line which is impressive but the physicality of the tackling from the likes of Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell, Leeson Ah Mau and Tariq Sims that is having an impact.

On three occasions at WIN Stadium, Knights players lost the ball in heavy tackles and the Dragons scored.

"There is just a good attitude floating around the place at the moment where boys are really just willing to put their hands up, put their stats to the side and do those team-first actions," de Belin said.

"If I see someone else put on a good hit it definitely motivates me to do the same."

Widdop said the work of the forwards had made it easier for the backs against the Knights.

"The big boys in the middle, certainly in the first half, had a lot of intent and forced a few turnovers," Widdop said.

"They were great tonight and when your forwards are winning that battle in the middle it always makes it easier for us on the edges.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/01...go-from-40-minute-team-to-genuine-contenders/

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I don't rate Souths at all this year. They will be without Sam Burgess next week too. We should smash them.

Johnston is one of the worst fullbacks in the comp. Their biggest strength is their centres.

I not writing the bunnies of expecially with Reynolds back.
But do agree with we sould win. Inglis may well play fullback yet.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Your wight about those wabbits buddy , a big strong pack all round. I am wondering if they lose the ' king of elbows ' Burgess , whether or not that will take some of the fire from them ?
Still this will be our first real test against an in form team . Would love to see our boys come out on top in this game as they , those wittle wascles , have stolen a couple of very close encounters from the Dragons of late .

Also I understand what you have said about the fitness of the team having a large bearing on where we are at present , as well as the players in their correct positions. Good to know that everything is starting to come together for us . Hope you and yours had an enjoyable Easter Sammy .

Footnote:- I loved that piece about " the sky is falling - the sky is falling ! " :joy:

Thanks gareth.
Hope you and your family also enjoyed Easter.
Yeap it great that the boys are playing well and the doomsayers are quiet , But when we do lose they will be back

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes Nenes energy levels and enthusiasm as been the stand out for me in the team this year thus far....his runs have taken a huge load off out forwards when running the ball back

I believe that a part of MacDonald's improved form is due to the decision to move him to the left hand side of the field alongside Lafai. Besides offence, his often flimsy defence has been better lately.

Nightingale is a right winger.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I feel I'm mostly a positive poster but sorry, for some reason I've succumbed to being a whinger. What I'm finding increasingly difficult to ignore or justify is the selection of Nightingale, I'm finding it hard to find what he brings to the team. My biggest support of him was that he was very good at bringing the ball back with vigour. I feel that was his strength, perhaps I'm being too harsh but when you compare the involvement between the two wingers it's blatantly obvious one is contributing far less than other. Hopefully he will prove me wrong in coming weeks and leave me with egg on my face.

While Nightingale hasn't been setting the world alight, he still does the one precenters extremely well. For example, while Dufty has been playing well, I get nervous watching him under kicks. Nightingale helps out when he can, and rarely drops them.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I won't even knock us letting Morris go, as I heard that he was on 500K plus. I would still rather have him on our wing than Nightingale though.

Even on one leg, Brett Morris is still in the top echelon of wingers playing in the NRL today.

If he was on that alleged 500k per season, he's worth it.

FlameThrower

Bench
Great result yesterday - JDB & LAM for me are in career best form. Credit must be given to the Club, coach and assistants in getting the team to be clicking so well. The players look like a tight and happy team and that’s half the battle sometimes.
Still early days but our Forwards and Halves are up there right now and challenge is to maintain it.
I’m also quietly impressed with Nene - completely different player this year and he has hit a purple patch as well.

Drag Queen

Bench
Great result yesterday - JDB & LAM for me are in career best form. Credit must be given to the Club, coach and assistants in getting the team to be clicking so well. The players look like a tight and happy team and that’s half the battle sometimes.
Still early days but our Forwards and Halves are up there right now and challenge is to maintain it.
I’m also quietly impressed with Nene - completely different player this year and he has hit a purple patch as well.
You should be out and proud of Nene. This kid is reaching his potential. I'm pretty sure he's the same age as Dufty?

Pablooo

Juniors
Well done to the Red V but Souths will relish the opportunity to bring down an undefeated team. The media hype this early in a season is a negative and will only bring unnecessary pressure to a team. Like Manly claiming they will win the comp after their 50 point flogging of Parra, they played right into Souths hands.

Also, IMO. Burgess will play this week because the Judiciary will not want to set a precedent on players dropping like flies to milk penalties after being hit in the throat or head by a players forearm carrying the ball. How can a six foot five player prevent his forearm not coming in contact with a shorter players head during a ball and all tackle. It’s a very slippery slope for the NRL to climb.

Life's Good

Coach
Well done to the Red V but Souths will relish the opportunity to bring down an undefeated team. The media hype this early in a season is a negative and will only bring unnecessary pressure to a team. Like Manly claiming they will win the comp after their 50 point flogging of Parra, they played right into Souths hands.

Also, IMO. Burgess will play this week because the Judiciary will not want to set a precedent on players dropping like flies to milk penalties after being hit in the throat or head by a players forearm carrying the ball. How can a six foot five player prevent his forearm not coming in contact with a shorter players head during a ball and all tackle. It’s a very slippery slope for the NRL to climb.
The reality is the hype is all from the media, not the club. We’ve learnt from last year. I think you’ll find most of the posters here are genuinely excited but also realistic that there is a long way to go. What’s positive for us is that a team will have to play really well to beat us which is a great compliment to how we are going.

Pablooo

Juniors
The reality is the hype is all from the media, not the club. We’ve learnt from last year. I think you’ll find most of the posters here are genuinely excited but also realistic that there is a long way to go. What’s positive for us is that a team will have to play really well to beat us which is a great compliment to how we are going.

Agree. And your optimism is well deserved. I haven’t seen a better balanced Red V team since 2010. I think the addition of players like Graham, Hunt and Duffy has completed your squad. The team looks very settled and the confidence oozes out with every win. It’s taken a while but your club has built a good solid team over a few seasons. Unlike the Rorters who go out and attempt to buy a title by recruiting the worlds best players, your policy has been to recruit players who needed a change and weren’t at their best before signing but have gelled quickly by buying into your cause and culture. Well done!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Reserve your credit until the Dragons start playing noteworthy teams.

So far, Cronulla but that's it.

Both Gold Coast and Newcastle will be.near the bottom than the top, and Brisbane ain't cracked up what it used to be.