What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 Discussion

billy2

Juniors
Knights still top of the table going into round 5 after a very good win over the Bulldogs.

Knights side for round 5 has no Sims or Smith - the best forward and the best back.

I assume they are out for under 20s origin because i haven't heard of any injuries.

Knights play Melbourne in Melbourne and have named the weakest side of the year so far. Tough game to win.

billy2

Juniors
The only other thing i can think of is that Sims and Smith are injury cover for Gidley and Cuthbertson in firstgrade and training with the firstgrade squad, which means they might slip back into the side on game day.

Big Pete

Referee
Couple of changes for the Broncos.

Ajuma Adams is out with a broken jaw after a big shot went wrong. Pack has been reshuffled, Mitch Moore, a Q Cup player for Wynnum Manly slots into hooker with 2011 Broncos NYC player of the year Chris Binge returning to his natural position in the backrow. Nikorima comes onto the bench.

2011 U/18 Qld rep. Rian Diffey comes in for Jarrod Watson on the wing.

isaiah

Bench
malcolm congoo gets his first start on the wing for canberra, played q cup for sunny coast last year. a few good games could get him a start for qld in the u20 origin game for qld

billy2

Juniors
Knights 36 - 16 Melbourne

Quality win by what was basically the Knights under 18s national title winning team from last year with 5 older guys. No Sims or Smith or Redman meant the 'spine' of 1 Mann, 7 Rouse, 9 Clydesdale that was unstoppable at under 18 level stepped up.

gronkathon

First Grade
That Knights SG Ball side was a pleasure to watch last season. Good to hear they are continuing their progression. In respect to growing the club there couldn't have been a better time for Stone and Bennett to combine and structure through the club

billy2

Juniors
That Knights SG Ball side was a pleasure to watch last season. Good to hear they are continuing their progression. In respect to growing the club there couldn't have been a better time for Stone and Bennett to combine and structure through the club
Graham Murray is the director of junior development ( a new position created for him) and Michael Crawley is the NYC coach (a very well credentialled coach). They have also got the use of the new training facilities and have fulltime training staff for the first time.
They did have an excellent crop of juniors coming through as well, as evidenced by only 1 of the 5 new players they brought in getting a run in the starting lineup so far (Vaivai from NZ) and one on the bench (Perkins from Mackay). So far 13 of last years SG Ball squad have had a run, and the best of them, Pat Mata'utia, is still out injured and yet to get a start.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Knights 36 - 16 Melbourne

Quality win by what was basically the Knights under 18s national title winning team from last year with 5 older guys. No Sims or Smith or Redman meant the 'spine' of 1 Mann, 7 Rouse, 9 Clydesdale that was unstoppable at under 18 level stepped up.

Yes, good win by the knights ....in thunderbolts defense tho, played 1 player short & harris went off injured early in 2nd half which is when the Knights outdid them. They're also a young team with a handful of more experienced guys too. Still, Knights certainly looking like the team to beat

isaiah

Bench
i know round 5 is soooo early but i like the current top 8 to make the finals, except parra, swap them for roosters.

parra have lost to 2 of the current top 8 and won over 3 teams in the lower half.

Doga

Juniors
BULLDOGS 60: Gerard McCallum 5, Moses Mbye 2, Sam Ahofono, Jon Sila, Paul Carter, Freddie Robinson, David Minute tries; Freddie Robinson 6 goals from 11 attempts; Gerard McCallum 0 goals from 1 attempt

TITANS 20: Lausi’i Taliauli 2, Nick Harrold, Sam Johnson tries; Kayne Elgey 2 goals from 4 attempts

billy2

Juniors
Crawley praises NYC courage

2/04/2012 12:41:30 PM

Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights NYC coach Michael Crawley has praised the courageous effort of his side to defeat the Melbourne Storm 36-16 at AAMI Park on Friday night.
The Knights were without three key players in Will Smith, Korbin Sims and Nathan Clarke and had to overcome a 16-6 halftime deficit to secure victory.

00018359-image.jpg

“It was a courageous win,” Crawley said.
“We had a very tough preparation to come down to Melbourne on the morning of the game at 6am and spend the whole day waiting around to play.
“I think we had eleven 18-year-olds playing and they showed a lot of pride and a lot of heart in the Newcastle jumper.”
After a fairly even opening 40 minutes, Crawley said he was particularly impressed with the Knights’ second-half effort, which saw them hold the Storm scoreless while piling on 30 points of their own.
“We knew they would be a tough side and they were. They completed 100% in the first half and we only made one error so it was a really good quality game,” Crawley said.
“We knew that it would take us a long time to get over the top of them and it took us most of the second half.
“There was 15 minutes to go when we scored a try to get in front and we worked our way from then on.”
Crawley said it was pleasing to see how the Knights’ older players stepped up in difficult circumstances.
“I thought Tyler Sullivan and Chad Redman really led by example, they were great tonight as was Kurt Mann at fullback,” he said.
“Api Pewhairangi also did a good job at five-eighth.
“It’s where his preferred position is, but with Will Smith playing well he hasn’t had too many opportunities there, but he certainly made the most of it tonight.”
The NYC Knights now turn their attention to this Sunday’s fixture against the Parramatta Eels at Hunter Stadium.
Crawley said he was expecting another difficult match-up for his squad.
“Parramatta have been a bit of a mixed bag,” he said.
“They’ve knocked over the Cowboys who got to the grand final last year and they’ve had a couple of good wins, so they’re going to be tough but the boys are looking forward to playing them at home.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/...ay&id=50117&title=crawley-praises-nyc-courage

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
As I said, good win but I still think the score and outcome might have been a bit different if Storm hadn't had to play with 12 in the 2nd half & lost one of their most experienced players in Harris. Such a marked difference between the first & last 40. but that's how the game goes

Not trying to take away anything from the team that won on the day, ...they've been going great & their position on the table reflects that at the moment

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
As I said, good win but I still think the score and outcome might have been a bit different if Storm hadn't had to play with 12 in the 2nd half & lost one of their most experienced players in Harris. Such a marked difference between the first & last 40. but that's how the game goes

Not trying to take away anything from the team that won on the day, ...they've been going great & their position on the table reflects that at the moment

Take that back mate...just 12 for the last 10 so wasn't exactly an issue re numbers on the field

billy2

Juniors
Knights had Geordie Connelly in the sin bin for the last ten.

Storm had one in the bin and one sent off for the last 10.

So it was 12 plays 11 for the last 10.

Fullback Kurt Mann - 19 runs, 258 metres, 1 line break, 14 tackle breaks, 1 try

Kurt was Qld under 18 halfback last season and halfback in the Knights SG Ball, but before that he was a star fullback for Saint Brendan's Yeppoon and a standout in the schoolboys titles as a fullback.

billy2

Juniors
<H1>Young Knights face charges after all-in brawl
BY BRETT KEEBLE
03 Apr, 2012 04:00 AM
KNIGHTS under 20s players Chad Redman and Geordie Connelly face one-game suspensions as punishment for their roles in an ugly all-in brawl in the closing stages of Newcastle&#8217;s 36-16 victory over Melbourne in the National Youth Cup game at AAMI Park last Friday.
Redman and Connelly were charged with grade-two contrary conduct (fighting), and will incur 168 demerit points each if they plead guilty.
If they defend the charges and are found guilty by the NYC judiciary committee, they will incur 225 points each and be suspended for two matches.
Four Storm players &#8211; Karl Davies, Richard Kennar, Barnabas Tavu&#8217;i-Leota and Waita Setu &#8211; face stints on the sideline after being charged as a result of the 72nd minute melee.
Davies and Kennar were charged with grade-three contrary conduct and will be banned for two or three games each depending on how they plead, and Tavu&#8217;i-Leota and Setu face the same suspensions as Redman and Connelly after being charged with grade-two contrary conduct.
Knights chief executive Matt Gidley said last night that he would review the incident with NYC coach Mick Crawley and football operations manager Warren Smiles today.
&#8216;&#8216;We haven&#8217;t had a chance to have a close look at it yet so we will wait until then before we decide our position,&#8217;&#8217; Gidley said. The Knights lead the NYC ladder after four wins from five games.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/young-knights-face-charges-after-allin-brawl/2509293.aspx</H1>

isaiah

Bench
i know round 5 is soooo early but i like the current top 8 to make the finals, except parra, swap them for roosters.

parra have lost to 2 of the current top 8 and won over 3 teams in the lower half.

interesting clash next weekend between two top 8 teams:

raiders home to the warriors

Latest posts