What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 Friday 6th April @ Jubilee Oval v Dragons

ouryears

Bench
I guess the "Mary knockers" amongst the dragon supporters are a little quiet atm?
Sort of mate, but most of us still have anxiety issues caused from years 2012 till 2017, six years of inept coaching. Sort of waiting for the Big Bang to come. Hunt Dufty and Jimmy Graham make a difference, more than Mary.

If we can get 2/4 or even 3/4 in the next 4 weeks against 4 tough opponents, trust might start being restored in Mary

Personally I don’t think he is the man to lead us into the future, but I don’t death ride the guy, he does his best

southsport

First Grade
Sort of mate, but most of us still have anxiety issues caused from years 2012 till 2017, six years of inept coaching. Sort of waiting for the Big Bang to come. Hunt Dufty and Jimmy Graham make a difference, more than Mary.

If we can get 2/4 or even 3/4 in the next 4 weeks against 4 tough opponents, trust might start being restored in Mary

Personally I don’t think he is the man to lead us into the future, but I don’t death ride the guy, he does his best
I'm wondering if the dragons might suffer around origin time?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
You forget to mention the Dragons were ripped off with two tries, but that’s ok, it kept it entertaining, good match, the better team won

Wow. This is poor. Dragons were throwing NFL passes the whole night. Both the tries were disallowed because they weren’t tries. You guys should be thanking the referees. They completely killed any momentum we were gaining in the first half with ridiculous forward pass calls.

ouryears

Bench
I'm wondering if the dragons might suffer around origin time?
Probably will Southport, Hunt. And potentially JDB Vaughan Fritzell andif Graham and Widdop travel over to play in the USA for the poms , then it looks very tough, potentially push us back to top 8 not top 4

You guys could lose GI, Samy and his bro, Gagai and even 2 more to SOO

I must look up who we all play.

ouryears

Bench
Wow. This is poor. Dragons were throwing NFL passes the whole night. Both the tries were disallowed because they weren’t tries. You guys should be thanking the referees. They completely killed any momentum we were gaining in the first half with ridiculous forward pass calls.
Ohhhhh.....I don’t agree

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

1:15
First try was just plain held up. Don't know how you could ever say that was a try. In every angle the ball doesnt get any closer to the ground.

2:10
Straight from NRL.com. "The onus is on the attacking players or ‘block-runners’ not to initiate contact with the defenders." Tariq Sims not only initiates contact he stands there and doesnt move. Block runners are supposed to run straight through and not just stop halfway through their run.

ouryears

Bench
That’s okay. Didn’t really expect you too. Maybe if you could explain why those disallowed tries were tries then we could start somewhere?
Nenes try was ruled a try by the ref and there was not clear evidence that it was not a try, it touched a blade of grass

Reynolds was lightly touched, geeze.

These things can can either way, often seen both given in hundreds of games, I guess you have to be the Storm. Broncos or Rorters to get those calls

One from two would have been acceptable

southsport

First Grade
Probably will Southport, Hunt. And potentially JDB Vaughan Fritzell andif Graham and Widdop travel over to play in the USA for the poms , then it looks very tough, potentially push us back to top 8 not top 4

I don't think GI is up to rep footy atm.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Nenes try was ruled a try by the ref and there was not clear evidence that it was not a try, it touched a blade of grass

These things can can either way, often seen both given in hundreds of games, I guess you have to be the Storm. Broncos or Rorters to get those calls

I disagree completely (refer to post above) but i guess its kind of hard to make you think otherwise haha youre a dragons supporter!

I also thought that the first 'knock on' call in our first set was absolutely ridiculous. There was no knock on and then later somebody said it was a forward pass but there was no forward pass either. Then later in the half he called a ball from Walker to Sutton forward which clearly went back. I'm not saying that we were robbed because the game was in our hand and we dropped it. But there were shocking calls both ways. Recovering from a >30% possession count in a half is not easy.

ouryears

Bench

1:15
First try was just plain held up. Don't know how you could ever say that was a try. In every angle the ball doesnt get any closer to the ground.

2:10
Straight from NRL.com. "The onus is on the attacking players or ‘block-runners’ not to initiate contact with the defenders." Tariq Sims not only initiates contact he stands there and doesnt move. Block runners are supposed to run straight through and not just stop halfway through their run.
Well sorry mate, nenes ball touches the ground,...there is no way you can see that it did not

Ref on field said try so it’s a try

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Well sorry mate, nenes ball touches the ground,...there is no way you can see that it did not

Wow. I’ve watched that 5 times over and I still don’t think it’s touched the ground at any point. Each to their own I guess.

It was a great attempt at a bluff by Nene though. He knew he didn’t get it down.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

I’m not sure if GI has origin in him anymore.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I'm a bit late with analysis because I was out last night. However, I think that this game could go down as one of the games of the season. Putting all biases aside, I think it was a fantastic performance from both sides and neither team deserved to lose. I really hope that people don't start carrying on about our performance or refereeing decisions because the effort and attitude from the boys was unbelievable, particular in defence. What stands out this season over previous years is the effort and desire when defending our goal line. I think this is probably due to the fact that our boys look a lot fresher on match days. In the final analysis, when you go back through the game it becomes clear that it was one of those matches where we lost without doing too much wrong.

In terms of performances, it is hard to single out outstanding performances because we did so much defending and it truly was a team effort. I really thought that Damian Cook looked a threat coming out of dummy half. In saying that, what makes him and the other forwards' jobs easier is the work of the back three in returning the ball and working away from out goal line. That has been one of the stand outs this year from previous years and I feel that this is something that Seibold has made a point of order of addressing.

Again, I thought the work of the Burgess twins has been really good. People are really quick to bag them but has anyone else noticed that they seem a lot more sure with their hands? Again, I'm just wondering whether this is the product of being less fatigued than under Maguire? Also, Cameron Murray was again excellent. I just love his tackling technique and he always seems to be making contributions of some kind; a lot of the good stuff he does go unnoticed! For those who were around in the 80s does anyone see any similarities between his style and that of Ray Price? Cody Walker also had a good game as well despite those two errors at the end I could go on and on with regards to quality performances but there weren't really any bad players. I just hope our efforts are sustained next week and get us over the line against the Roosters!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I normally hate Thursday or Friday night games, because if we loose It normally ruins my weekend. But this morning I kinda feel excited.

I reckon we are only two or three smart buys away from another premiership window. Who those buys should be is being discussed to death in other threads, and I think this year is already showing Sebs what is needed.

But I’m excited for the rest of this year, and excited to see how we recruit for next year. Glory, Glory!!
Must keep Cookie.

He was our best player!

Really outplayed Mcturtle!

Rabbits20

Immortal

Mate Gagai had his leg in there and then Nene threw the ball up like it was down and bluffed! Clear no try! Never touched the ground!

Re the obstruction I think the rule is Sims can't stop in the line and he did! He had to go through! We got disallowed last week due to to Tom!

Latest posts