What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 V Storm

TheFrog

Coach
I was trying to watch the game on my iPad in Singapore airport, but couldn't hear it. Can somebody tell me what the penalty at the second half kick off was for? Proved to be super costly!
It was called as a two man strip but I'd have to watch it again. I tried to wind it back on the IQ but it wasn't at all conclusive, and ended up missing the try.

Frankus

Juniors
We got some dud calls and bombed a couple of tries but it doesn't mask the fact we are impotent in the opposition 20m zone when a team is committed to defending. We were camped on their goal line for huge parts of the game. With that sort of possession we should have scored at least 20-30 points, I don't care who we are playing against. We struggled at times against the knights too.

If you believe everything you read in the papers, we should blow the bunnies off the park on Friday, but if they turn up to defend anything could happen.

franklin2323

Immortal
same old same old. Can't score enough points against a good team. Kept going wide and they were reading it. No plan be for when teams do that

MrBlack

Juniors
Did any one else notice Blake running down Ado-Carr from the other side of the field - almost got there too..

Blake's speed is a bit under rated.

TheFrog

Coach
I'd be looking at getting Blake back to centre. Maybe Hiku to wing and Peachey back to the bench. Peachey didn't have his best game in Melbourne. He is loathe to pass the ball in heavy traffic which isn't a good trait for a centre to have.

Hiku might be capable of a few Mansour-style runs from the wing. That is the way I'd be going at this stage.

franklin2323

Immortal
The lack of passing from Peachey is concerning, I wouldn't change things yet though. But he must improve on it.

When Mansour comes back that sort of thing can go against him. Blake may not of scored but it is the same result if he is bundled into touch.

I was waiting for the inside ball to Yeo or someone across the grain nothing hopefully that is being worked on

Frankus

Juniors
When Mansour comes back that sort of thing can go against him. Blake may not of scored but it is the same result if he is bundled into touch.

I was waiting for the inside ball to Yeo or someone across the grain nothing hopefully that is being worked on
Agree there are concerns for Peachey, but I am more concerned with our general lack of options for our ball players to choose from when deep on attack. I will have to watch the game again and count the number of set plays and decoy runners we had. Our best set play was the inside ball from Cleary to TMM in the first half. From memory it was the only set play we put on at speed and it nearly paid off. Otherwise we just look so telegraphed and predictable when we weren't just throwing it around for the sake of it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Agree there are concerns for Peachey, but I am more concerned with our general lack of options for our ball players to choose from when deep on attack. I will have to watch the game again and count the number of set plays and decoy runners we had. Our best set play was the inside ball from Cleary to TMM in the first half. From memory it was the only set play we put on at speed and it nearly paid off. Otherwise we just look so telegraphed and predictable when we weren't just throwing it around for the sake of it.

Most teams we would of run up a huge score against so that I think masks this issue. We will smash Souths but have this same issue against v Sharks

betcats

Referee
I hate the storm but you cant deny their brilliance. Peachey had a tough night but he was being targeted by the best in the business, both offensively and defensively. A lot of our momentum in games this year has come off the back of Peachey and his runs. He is the main guy in our side atm(especially without sauce) who stresses and breaks down defensive lines with his runs which allows Moylan and the halves to get going. You smother that and our attack lacks a fair bit of its potency, it seems like to me Melbourne identified that and made it their mission to shut peachey down. Defensively that side is always going to be targeted, Whare and Yeo on one side and CHN and Peach on the other its a no brainer. Its disappointing to dominate position and possession in that 2nd half and still concede those points. I can live with not be able to score as we still haven't fully clicked with the new halves pairing and a couple other things but we really should of kept them below 20. It was a game like we needed Bryce.

TheFrog

Coach
The penalty immediately after halftime was a good argument for a captain's challenge. The Storm never even had the ball. Old history now, but a huge call in the context of the game.

GongPanther

Referee
I hate the storm but you cant deny their brilliance. Peachey had a tough night but he was being targeted by the best in the business, both offensively and defensively. A lot of our momentum in games this year has come off the back of Peachey and his runs. He is the main guy in our side atm(especially without sauce) who stresses and breaks down defensive lines with his runs which allows Moylan and the halves to get going. You smother that and our attack lacks a fair bit of its potency, it seems like to me Melbourne identified that and made it their mission to shut peachey down. Defensively that side is always going to be targeted, Whare and Yeo on one side and CHN and Peach on the other its a no brainer. Its disappointing to dominate position and possession in that 2nd half and still concede those points. I can live with not be able to score as we still haven't fully clicked with the new halves pairing and a couple other things but we really should of kept them below 20. It was a game like we needed Bryce.

Cleary said he shouldered the responsibility for the Panthers inability to score more tries, given his role as the Panthers' playmaker.

It's good to see at least a player sounding himself out in taking responsibility.That takes character and balls.

Kilkenny

Coach
Took the whole family to the game, six of us, so six very disappointed fans both during and after this game.

I thought we did well to get ourselves back in the contest and at the half time I thought we were a chance.

Didn't take long for those positive thoughts to disappear and despite lot's of possession/field position/missed opportunities the Storm were too good.

We sat in the Panthers bay which was basically on the Melbourne Storm goal line for the second half. The new Storm tactic of deliberately being offside and being prepared to concede a penalty for inside the ten metres needs to be stamped out in a hurry by the NRL. The only way to stop this deliberate illegal tactic is to put one or more players in the sin bin. I don't know how the game came accross on TV and I don't intend watching a replay but this tactic is another Storm led blight on the game.

Latest posts