What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6: Penrith Vs Souths

Mr BuLLdOgS

Juniors
Penrith Vs Souths

Game Thread

Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points.

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 16th July, 2003. 9:00PM AEST

Referee: Willow

maelgwnau

Juniors
Penrith Team For Round 6

1) Lewis
2) Maelgwnau
3) Bedsy
4) Big Mick
5) Theirry Henry

6) Justin
7) Suburbanknight
8) JOBPS
9) Paul The Cowboy

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick ( c ), #4 for the Mighty Penrith Panthers

Salary Cap Woes: The “Big Mick” Solution:

The salary cap remains a hot issue for the NRL, its clubs, and fans of Rugby League alike.

Phil Gould wrote for the Sun Herald wrote on 15/12/02:

“I agree with the importance of a salary cap but surely such pains are a poor by-product of our budgeting restrictions. We urgently need some changes”

I concur wholeheartedly with Phil Gould. I have detailed below a system that I believe would solve all current problems that exist with the salary cap.

The salary cap is a necessary evil if NRL clubs are to survive in the future but it definitely needs some fine tuning. The NRL’s proposal to discount 10-year players simply doesn’t go far enough.

My proposal for 10% discounts per year, combined with transfer fees, will provide incentives for clubs to retain players and develop their own local juniors. The transfer proposal, whilst probably controversial, would discourage clubs poaching players from other clubs and country districts.

Amnesty for 2004 / Rules apply for 2005+

Nominal Values to be set by NRL: (Suggestions only)

Multiple Test Player $500,000
1 Test Player $300,000
Multiple State of Origin Player $250,000
State of Origin Player $200,000
City/Country Player $150,000
Established NRL Player $125,000
Emerging NRL Player $75,000
Premier League Player $50,000
Junior signed from country/other club $20,000
Authentic Local Junior/ 10 year players Exempt

As from 30 June 2004 there will be three basic functions to the system:

(a) For each year a player has been at the club, a 10% discount per year operates.

(b) For any player signed from other clubs or country districts a transfer fee (according to the nominal values above) applies, to be paid by club to compensate development of player by other clubs and country districts.

(c) New signings will be judged under salary cap at their nominal values and will not be eligible for discount until following season.

• This will encourage loyalty on the part of players and discourage clubs from poaching talented players from other clubs.

• As a result, NRL clubs will be encouraged, or compelled, to develop their own local juniors to qualify for exemption from the salary cap.

As an example, Andrew Johns, a product of the Newcastle area, regarded by many as the games premier player, and established as a multiple Test player, would have a nominal value of $500,000. Say he has been with Newcastle as an NRL player for 8 years. Under my system he receives an 80% discount. His value under the salary cap would therefore be $100,000 but only as far Newcastle is concerned. If however, another club wishes to sign Johns, that club would be compelled to pay a transfer fee of $500,000 to Newcastle and Johns would then become a $500,000 player under the salary cap for that club and would not be eligible for discount until the following season.

As a player develops and achieves increased status as a player he would progress to the next nominal value level and the 10% discount still applies according to the number of years at the club.

For example, a player like Braith Anasta, a local Souths junior, was signed by Canterbury. Under my scheme, they would have been compelled to pay $20,000 to his local club in the Souths district. He has since developed into a Test player. His nominal value would then be $300,000. For his 3 years at the Bulldogs, they would receive 30% discount. His nominal value under the salary cap would become $210,000.

Under this system, no NRL club should have any difficulty fitting their existing player roster under the NRL’s salary cap, therefore preventing a repeat of last season’s fiasco where the competition’s best team was prevented from participating in the Finals Series due to no fault of their own. It would put an end to the creative accounting schemes perpetuated by club executives from some NRL clubs to keep them under the salary cap.

Any club still not able to fit players under the salary cap for 2005 would have to divest themselves of those players, who, under the amnesty, would be free to join other clubs at their nominal value without the necessity for a transfer fee to be paid by the player’s new club.

The “Big Mick” solution would definitely discourage poaching of talented players from struggling clubs by wealthy clubs and result in a much more even spread of talent throughout the NRL, resulting in a fairer competition.

749 words, inc title.

References:

Sydney Morning Herald, Phil Gould, 15/12/02

Seano

Juniors
South Sydney Team:
1. Seano (c)
2. RedDragon
3. Olympic_park
4. Terracecider
5. Bunny Boy

reserves
rivs
charger/dan
cassie
winglee

olympic park

Juniors
DRIVING TO GAMES
Olympic Park – Souths #10

It’s something that doesn’t just happen in rugby league but seems to be becoming a terrible trend all over Australia over the last few years. People don’t heed the advice of the administrators and keep insisting on driving to the games. Why?

I recently made a trip north from my home in Melbourne and was in Sydney a few weekends ago, and got caught in football traffic around both Brookvale Oval and the SFS when I went past both on two different days. At least with the match at Brookvale I did see a few articulated buses quickly being filled with supporters, but with the few buses provided it is little wonder that people insist on driving their cars to see the game. (Maybe I was in the wrong position at the SFS that I didn’t see any buses?)

What is it with people insisting on driving to matches? It wastes everyone’s time really. You spend ages getting to a game because there are too many cars on the road doing the same as you - getting to the ground. Cars have to be turned away when car parks get filled (which is always too often the case), then when you do finally get a car park ages from the ground and get to the game, you have to get back to your car and spend either ages for the cars to crawl out of the car park or, even worse, you get out of your car spot and sit in the traffic for ages. What is the benefit of that?

With the redevelopments around Olympic Park in Melbourne over the last year, they have been constantly telling the public not to drive their cars as parking has been significantly reduced. It would be my guess that on an average match day (of 10-11,000 supporters) that more than half now use public transport. Olympic Park has the benefit of a frequent tram route, buses which stop right near the ground, and it is within walking distance to one of Melbourne’s larger railway stations, Richmond, with 5 radiating rail lines into the southern and eastern suburbs. It also has these trains going in the opposite direction taking people into the city and onto the other side of the city. This would be up from the few thousand which used to use it when the Storm first started playing and car parking was plentiful.

The same could be said for AFL football here in Melbourne. The AFL administrators have gotten in good partnership with the railways to ensure that on the major lines, extra football trains are run - and it encourages people to park at their local train station and train into town to see the match rather than people driving in. But they still do. Even in Perth the railways and football commission are in partnership providing extra services for people not to drive to games. So if the AFL has the right initiative in getting people to games not travelling by car (and not just in Melbourne) why is the NRL failing so dismally?

One only had to look at the new Lang Park in Brisbane to see utter chaos of people getting to and from the State of Origin. From reports I have read and a friend of mine who attended the game, it seems that the problem is getting away from the ground easily and quickly. I have read reports that Randwick Racecourse in the 1930s used to be able to move 70,000 punters in 15 minutes on trams lined up at the side of the track, yet I would certainly be interested to know how long it would take today to move just 50,000 football fans from a venue today. I would think over two hours is not out of the question.

Public education and making grounds and public transport easy to use is obviously the answer. People are getting into the habit of going to games by car and we need to reverse the trend to encourage more people to the games. A 70% figure nation-wide (especially in the major cities) is not un-achievable and would only require a small amount of work and persistence would ensure that people travelling to and from games in the future can get there quickly and safely.

Word Count: 723 words

Collateral

Coach
RedDragon #9 - Souths

The Mighty, Mighty Dragons

September 9, 1967 was a very dark day for the St. George Dragons and its fans. It was a chilly Saturday afternoon and in the dressing sheds at the Sydney cricket ground, the Captain-Coach Ian Walsh sat in a corner weeping, with his forlorn players scattered around the room.
The Unthinkable had happened. St. George had been beaten 12-11 by Canterbury in the preliminary final and for the first time in more than a decade, they would not be defending their Premiership title.

Saints’ winning run of 11 successive premierships began in 1956 and ended in 1966, which is arguably a world record feet in any level of Grade football in the world.
To win one premiership in a vigorously competitive rugby league competition is a great achievement that is cherished by the club, players coach, fans, staff and all involved with the team. Imagine winning two in a row. The team would be thought of as a great team. Three in a row would mean that the team was a rare site and that you would be lucky to see it happen. South Sydney won sevens premierships in a row between 1925 and 1932. At the time it would have been an absolute miracle. The team would have gone down in Rugby League history to be one of the best ever. So imagine how good the Dragons eleven premierships in row was.
To be fair, the team was literally an ‘All Star’ team.
“At one stage I walked onto the field in a St. George team that featured 11 players who had represented Australia, one who had played for NSW and one who had played for City.” Remembers Graeme Langlands.
As you can see, they pretty much had the Australian team playing for them.

St. George in those days was a talent recruitment factory. If a player of sufficient quality was not available from the local juniors to fill a position in the team, he was imported.
Hooker and Captain-Coach Ian Walsh came from Eugowra in rural NSW. Dick Huddart was a former England Test Second Rower, Johnny Raper and Brian Clay were plucked from Newtown

St. George were a team years ahead of the style of game and the opposition with their Professionalism, foresight and playing style.
They played rough and fierce, using their great forward play to squash the opposition early, sometimes letting them have the ball for 10 or 15 minutes and pounding them with ferocious defence.
With the forwards softened, Saints’ would spread the ball to their extremely talented backs who would weave their magic. Graeme Langlands and Reg Gasnier were only two of the great players that stared in their backline.

The Dragons are also the last team to go through a premiership undefeated (1959) and the last team to win all three grades (1963). To go with these records is the amazing 11 Premierships in a row record (1956-1966). They also hold the biggest winning margin victory in Premiership history: St. George 91, Canterbury 6, Earl Park, May 11, 1935.
They also hold the most club Championships ( 18 ), and equal most third grade (Under-23) Premierships (14).
Les Griffin equally holds the most goals scored in a match (15), while Graeme Langlands is in the top ten Point Scorers of all time (1,554).
Obviously, they are one of the greatest clubs of all time.

However, since they came out of their 11 in a row Premiership winning streak, they have struggled to even reach their once unbelievable greatness, only winning two premierships since their ‘end of an era’ winning streak came to a close.
These two other premierships came in 1977 and 1979.
In total, they have featured in 9* Grand-Finals since their winning streak and only winning two of them.
*(1 as St. George Illawarra Dragons).

In 1999, a new era dawned on the Dragons. They and the Illawarra Steelers, were the first clubs to successfully merge in Premiership History.
In the 4 years after the merger, they are already showing great promise for the future. In their first year as a merged entity, they made the Grand-Final. They have also won a First Division Grand-Final, and been runners-up in another First Division Grand-Final and Jersey Flegg Grand Final.
They currently have 5 internationals, 1 Sate Representative and 2 City/Country Representatives.

The future continues to grow bright for the mighty Dragons as it has since their beginning in 1921.

Word Count 741 including title.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Bedsy, #3 Penrith panthers

Are careers outside football a thing of the past?

Are careers outside football are a thing of the past or an ever-present reality? Many believe that rugby league is a full time job and the players get paid accordingly. This is a deep contrast to the games history where players where sometimes poverty stricken and played football during the week and attended to labouring jobs after the game. But is this type of footballer still present today? Or are all the first grade players playing our game today just pretty boys?

I like the fact that a lot of young players coming through have been trained or are being trained in a particular profession to support life after football. Kurt and Matt Gidley for example are both fully qualified butchers. Some of the younger players are also attending university, such as Craig Wing, who is receiving a scholarship from the University of New South Wales.

Players should also think about this for themselves and for their families. They can't play football forever and not all players can become coaches and part of the management of a team when they retire, therefore careers after football is imperative. I have also noticed that a lot of retired players are going to university, which is a great sign that they want to pursue a better career after football.

Last year the Knights management sent the team to TAFE to do a computer course. I believe that this is great for the players, as it gives them more experience in other arenas. Of course the entire team passed. Naturally the younger players passed just that bit better. The players also felt better for doing it as they know that they will need it to live in this society that is basically run by computers.

With regards to football players pursuing career while playing football, with their training and playing, meeting people and media appearances, I understand how hard it could be to work. This type of commitment was not present previously. Some players have been forced to drop university. Fortunately, they plan to pick it up after they retire. For example, Michael Vella aspired to become a doctor; however, he gave that up to play football.

But what about Premier League or fringe players that are not earning the big bucks of their first grade counterparts. Take for example two Penrith players. Shannon Donnato, the Penrith first division hooker, is currently pursuing a career in Public Relations and is also working with the clubs juniors in the development, as well as running a charity, all this as well as sustaining his consistent performances on the field in premier league. Another example is Joe Galuvao. When Joe came to Australia to play for Penrith, he was destined to be a premier league player. He became a labourer and went to work five days a week while playing football. He is now one of the powerhouses of our game and has since stopped the labouring.

There is a responsibility for the players when they commit to a team, their coaches, team mates, and fans. It is beyond comprehension how difficult it must be for players sustain this and then even contemplate having another job, yet some of the higher profile players do.

But what about the superstars of our game who are ambassadors on the field and have proven to be ambassadors off the field as well. E.G. Lance Thompson. For the past 10 years, Lance has coached several teams of the Hurstville United club, proving an inspiration when he is on and also off the field, coaching and making the youth aspire to be where he is today. The way Lance does this along with his football career is admirable. Another player is Scott Sattler. Scott has proven to be very effective the junior players at Penrith, teaching them the many the skills needed to become great players, mentoring players such as rising stars Luke Rooney and Luke Lewis in their rise to the top grade.

Although the days of footballers pursuing hard labour on the side of playing may be over, there is no doubt that football players today have, at some stage needed employment to sustain their livelihood. Current players like Joe Galuvao, Lance Thompson, Scott Sattler and Shannon Donnato all deserve our respect for the work they do within the community. The best thing is that these are only a few of the examples in our current society.

746 words

Justin

Juniors
Justin, #6 Penrith Panthers

The Ultimate

Rugby League is a game of pride and honour. The feeling a player gets when throwing on a jersey before a game is unreal and, to be honest, indescribable. Butterflies in your stomach, muscles twitching at every move, the palms of your hands sweating, your teeth grinding on your mouth guard, your heart pounding in excitement, all make this game so exhilarating for players and so enjoyable for the fans to watch.

But what is the ultimate brand of Rugby League? What separates the boys from the men? To me, it isn’t the Internationals or the State of Origins. It’s the Local Derbies. Forget about mate against mate, state against state, this is the pride of football, the game every first grader craves to win, the game where blood and guts are spilled and the glory tastes that little bit sweeter. Do not get me wrong, State of Origins and Internationals are exciting spectacles to watch and must be a thrill to play in, but there is something about a local derby that exemplifies the difference between them.

The amount of pride, honour, determination and strength shown between two neighbouring sides is unlike any other game. Fans yelling their lungs out, pleading for penalties, cheering when the opposition player makes a mistake or is taken off in a stretcher with a serious injury. Screaming “off, off, off” when the opposition is penalised. It is friend against friend, suburb against suburb, and enemy against enemy – there is nowhere to hide. Local derbies like the Bulldogs v Parramatta, Cronulla v St George and Penrith v Parramatta always attract the big crowds and are always the games of the rounds. The hype and drama to a local derby sets the heart racing. The suburbs are buzzing with talk and criticism of the opposition. No one likes to lose a local derby to a team, which is so hated but so close. The feeling of winning a derby is amazing. But the feeling of losing one... is unbearable, especially the constant reminders all year.

Evidence proves that local derbies are the most favoured spectacles to watch. In 2001, the only game that was sold out was the Round 23 clash- Bulldogs vs. Parramatta. A crowd of 21,895 crammed into a stadium to watch one of the games of the year. Three rounds later the Bulldogs were up against St George Illawarra at the Sydney Football Stadium before a packed crowd of 20,123 – the highest crowd of the round and also the biggest crowd of the year for a Dragons’ home game. In 2003, we have seen Penrith’s rise in the competition, and as such the crowd’s rising. In the game of Penrith v Bulldogs this year, Penrith broke their crowd record, packing over 21,000 spectators into Penrith Park.

Big deal you say? The most significant piece of evidence here is that the match was a dead rubber. If the Bulldogs lost, they still would have finished second and if St George had lost, they still would have finished seventh. The match meant nothing to the premiership table, but definitely something to its fans and players. This just proves that it’s not all about gaining the two points. It’s about the pride and satisfaction you receive when you win the local derby.

I have been a football player for the last 10 years. I have played representative football before in my career but there is no doubt I felt more alive and satisfied after winning a local derby, than representing my district. Knowing you have beaten your old rivals leaves a sweet taste in your mouth. It is one that cannot be appreciated unless you have experienced it. If you don’t know the feeling, it is the Ultimate. It is Rugby League.

629 words

terracesider

Juniors
Terracesider: Souths No. 7.

The 2003 Ashes Series: A Preview From Great Britain.

Since the 1973 Ashes series, Great Britain (GB) has managed only 7 wins out of thirty-seven games against Australia. Despite a closely fought series in 2001 [1], undoubtedly the most disappointing GB performance ever came at Sydney in July 2002, when the Kangaroos rewrote the record-books with a 64-10 mauling of the hapless Lions, [2] which prompted some speculation on the death of international football. [3] A year on from that humiliation, this post traces GB's subsequent fortunes and assesses their prospects for the next Ashes series, at the time of writing, just four months way. [4]

Some British pride was restored in last November's 3 match series against New Zealand. After losing the first test, GB fought back to draw the second and win the third, their first victory over NZ since 1993.[5] Neither the draw nor the win were entirely convincing but, just four months after the Sydney debacle, the players had generally displayed sufficient pride and effort to encourage many British fans that at least things were moving in the right direction. Moreover, the Rugby Football League (RFL) had a strategy for improvement.

The RFL intended to build on the relatively encouraging New Zealand series with a mid-summer Lancashire v Yorkshire Origin Series, modelled on the three-match Austrlian Origin Series. The aim was give the leading British players some experience of the intense physical and mental demands of representative football through what was effectively an extended test trial, after which the GB coach, David Waite, would name a preliminary squad for the Ashes series. However, the UK version of Origin was diluted to just one game. Precisely why is not known with any certainty, but there is a widespread suspicion amongst RL fans that certain influential club chairmen and their coaches, worried about their club's league prospects and possible injuries to their "star" players, successfully undermined the RFL's original plan. In the event, in a tame contest of questionable value either as a test trial or as a vehicle for player development, a surprisingly lacklustre Lancashire team were effortlessly beaten. [6]

Shortly after the Origin debacle, David Waite named his initial 28-man squad [7], which in Britain at least, has generated the usual controversy over inclusions and exclusions; but to this observer, these inevitably subjective arguments are not as significant as the coach's apparently negative frame of mind. Shortly before the Origin game, League Weekly - a British rugby league paper - reported Waite as complaining that too few British players can play within different the systems that might be required by a coach; and in this week's edition, Waite detailed the advantages he thinks Australia have for the forthcoming Ashes series: the NRL finishes earlier in the year than Superleague; the Australians will have a structured international warm up programme; their leading players play less games; and those games are of a greater intensity, none more so than the Origin series.

Waite's frustrations are understandable, especially given that the problems are not of his making; rather, the Origin fiasco and the lack of a structured warm-up programme reflect badly on the RFL's ability to stand up to influential individuals who for too long have put club before country. However, it is worrying that Waite appears to be emanating so much pessimism, with the obvious danger that it may be transferred to the players as defeatism.

Much can change between now and November. Although from a British perspective the present omens do not appear encouraging, we can only hope that the players will rise to the occasion, producing a close series which, as in 2001, will command widespread attention and a positive press in both hemispheres, this proving that earlier reports of international rugby league's death were considerably exaggerated.

References
[1] Match reports can be found at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/ashes_series/default.stm

[2]See: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2002/07/13/slbrit13.xml

[3] http://aus.rleague.com/international/news/index.php?id=7694

[4] The test dates and locations are: First test, 8 November, at Wigan; second, 15 November, Hull; third, 22 November, Huddersfield. All kick off at 18.15 GMT.

[5] See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/2507091.stm

[6] See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/3034260.stm

[7] The squad is: Anderson (Bradford), Bailey (Leeds), Carney (Wigan), Connolly (Leeds), Cunningham (St Helens), Deacon (Bradford), Farrell (Wigan), Fielden (Bradford), Forshaw (Bradford), Gilmour (Bradford), Gleeson (St Helens), Hodgson (Wigan), Horne (Hull), Hudson (Castleford), Johnson (Wigan), Long (St Helens), McDermott (Leeds), Morley (Sydney City), Newton (Wigan), Orr (Castleford), Peacock (Bradford), Pryce (Bradford), Radlinski (Wigan), Sculthorpe (St Helens), Senior (Leeds), Sinfield (Leeds), Thorman (London), Walker (Leeds).

740 words

Big Mick

Referee
Revised ROund 6 team:

This is due to 3 of our reserves being unavailable so it must be changed:

1. lewis
2. Maelgwnau
3. Bedsy
4. Big Mick
5. Theirry Henry

6. Justin
7. Nibbletjones
8. Buzz Boy

Big Mick

Referee
SUBSTITUTION FOR THE PANTHERS:

Due to his computer being taken into the shop, it is unlikely Theirry will post. Therefore to ease the burden and stress on Theirry i am bringing the experienced Buzz Boy into the line up.

Sub:

# 8 Buzz Boy in for #5 Theirry Henry

thanks again

Buzz Boy

Juniors
On the verge of retirement, the aging Buzz Boy returns from a season in France playing for the Champignons, to add some old-fashioned muscle to the Panthers forward pack.

#8. Buzz Boy ~ Penrith Panthers

WHY BRISBANE NEEDS A SECOND NRL TEAM

There are several pros and cons to being the only major Queensland based team, and now that rugby league is set to soar, many believe it's time to introduce a second Brisbane based NRL team.

Currently the Brisbane Broncos have the monopoly on Queensland junior rugby league players (no offence to the North Queensland Cowboys, but any kid growing up in Queensland would prefer to play for the Broncos).

This has led to an imbalance of sorts in the competition.

Each week, the Broncos field a near State Of Origin strength team in a "National Competition", which has ten of its fifteen teams based in Sydney.

The Broncos aligned themselves with Super League, whose divisive vision alienated many rugby league fans, including many in Brisbane who shun the Broncos. Many initially crossed over to support the now defunct South Queensland Crushers and more recently the AFL's Brisbane Lions team.

These fans desperately want an alternative to the Broncos. The opportunity to put their support behind a team in direct competition to the Broncos would see many fans get behind a second Brisbane team.

Each year, we hear the Broncos complaining how the State Of Origin depletes their ranks.

When your team consists of more than two-thirds of the Queensland team, there will be a price to pay.

A second Brisbane team would mean that more Queensland juniors gain weekly first grade experience, allowing far greater depth for selection in the State Of Origin team, and limiting the burden on the Broncos.

This would also see the strengthening of a waning Queensland team. There is a definite lack of depth beyond the current Broncos based players.

Okay, from where do we get this second Brisbane team?

The NRL have refused to expand beyond the current fifteen-team competition. This leaves us with one option, relocation of one of the Sydney based teams:

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles - although receding from the Central Coast, the NRL needs a team north of the harbour.

Penrith Panthers - questionably the strongest junior ranks in the game, and a growing supporter base west of Sydney.

Parramatta Eels - like Penrith have a strong junior and supporter base.

Wests Tigers - have already made a sacrifice by forming a joint venture, which is growing stronger each season.

South Sydney Rabbitohs - the NRL wouldn't dare touch them, they are safe as long as they can support themselves.

Bulldogs - have a huge supporter base and always field a strong team.

Sydney Roosters - despite small junior area and limited supporter base, their money has seen them become the league's "untouchables".

St.George-Illawarra Dragons - a successful joint venture. Extensive south-coast junior ranks, large supporter base, and being semi-based in Wollongong means they are safe.

That leaves...

The Sharks - perennial underachievers. 37 years in the top flight with nothing to show for it. Almost everyones second favourite team because they are unthreatening.

South Sydney, Sydney Roosters, Bulldogs and St.George-Illawarra hem in their junior area from north to south. They have nowhere to expand... other than interstate.

That is why the Sharks would make the ideal second Brisbane team.

Who knows, the success from the Broncos may rub off and the Sharks might one day win a Premiership... NOT!

Word Count: 545

Bunny Boy

Juniors
Lockyer = 5/8th not fullback
Souths #5 BUNNY BOY

It seems that in the last few years around representative footy time, the same accolades are being handed out by the “experts”. The man the rugby league world continually praises and makes comparisons to, is the man from Cessnock, Andrew “Joey” Johns.
The Newcastle captain is known world wide to be the greatest Rugby League footballer at this present moment in time, and many experts and rugby league enthusiasts in general are going as far to say that “Joey” has now surpassed Clive Churchill, Wally Lewis, Norm Provan, Bob Fulton, Reg Gasnier and the like and is the greatest player of any era.
I for one will admit that watching Johns run round underlines the reasons why I love Rugby League. The man makes the difficult things look easy, and the easy things look even easier.
But there is another footballer out there that I believe is being hard done by. He is being hard done by because I don’t believe he is playing the position that will really underline how good he is, and he is being hard done by because he is not receiving the same accolades as Andrew Johns yet he is as faultless as Joey. His name is Lockyer, Darren Lockyer, agent 001 from the Brisbane Broncos.
Alcatraz, as I like to call him, has been the linchpin at the Broncos for a number of years now, and their dominance, although continually referred to the little master Alan Langer’s influence, in my opinion, Darren Lockyer has been the jewel in the crown and the cog that keeps the Brisbane machine working at a rapid rate.
The point of my argument is that we are not seeing what Lockyer is truly capable of because of the position he is playing for the Broncos, Queensland and Australia. There is no doubting he is the best fullback we’ve seen in decades, but the assets Lockyer possesses as a player would be best suited as a five eight in my opinion.

He has pin point passing
Can break the line
Awesome kicking game
Great organizer

Although most of these assets would be good for a halfback as well, Lockyer’s physical presence would be best suited as a five eighth and would change the look of any team he played for immensely. Lockyer on one side of the ruck and Johns on the other is just devastating.
Yes, Lockyer does come into second receiver a lot of the time at the Broncos, but that is still not enough ball close to the line for a man who can find gaps with ease. I believe he would put his back rowers into more gaps than Lyons put Menzies through.
Two aspects of Lockyers game that probably keeps him in the fullback position is the fact that no other player positions themselves on kick returns like Alcatraz, and there isn’t a better reader of the game from the back when looking for player offloads.
There is no denying he is the best fullback in the world, but if Darren Alcatraz Lockyer was playing under my team he would be the five eighth because of his brilliant reading of the game and the above assets mentioned.
If this were to happen from now on until the end of his career, Lockyer would score more points in terms of tries as well. This would almost certainly lead to people questioning whether or not Johns is better than Lockyer.
I for one will say this now. As it stands Joey is a better player. BUT if Alcatraz was to move to five eighth I truly believe he would be regarded as the best player in the world. There is nothing the guy can’t do and I hope his coaches, Bennet in particular, does not deny the rugby league loving world the opportunity to see one of the best attacking players ever play in a position which he would revel in.
The State of Origin series would have definitely been a much different story had they opted playing Lockyer at five eighth and Wesser or Clinton at fullback. The Penrith lad would have been a sound replacement as would have the man from the Raiders. Lockyer would be more used in attack and his kicking game could be utilized more. Could have been a 3-0 win to the Blues instead of a BLUEWASH!

731 words including title

nibbs

Bench
Nibbletjones~Panthers~#7

Do we really need a playoffs series?

Every season comes to an end with the tension, the drama, the buzz and of course, the atmosphere of playoff football. It finally reaches its climax with the grand final. However, every season I wonder why does the season, after nearly 200 games, come down to one game?

If the season was based upon a league system without a playoffs series, we would find a winner, a true champion. This system would mean the side with the best record, who preformed the best over the entire season, would win. Sounds logical to me. The best team wins.

In the past we have seen teams come from nowhere, come close or even win the premiership. In 1995, the Bulldogs beat Manly in the Grand Final after finishing 6th in the regular season. A few years later, in 1998, they came from 9th to make the final, only to be beaten by Brisbane. Did they deserve to be there? They came 9th out of 20 teams, with an ordinary record of 13 wins and 11 defeats. A winning percentage of 54%, compared to minor premiers Brisbane’s winning percentage of 75%.

Who knows how far this could go. You could end up with some farfetched situation where five sides are far superior than all other clubs. Lets say these teams win 80% of their games in the regular season. After them, the remaining teams scrap it out and eventually we have our top eight. These sides might bring with them a record of only victories in 50% of their games. One of these weaker sides could strike it lucky, hit form at the right time and go on to win the premiership. Did they deserve this? Would you really care? Who knows?

The only way to combat this would be to go back to the old ways, with a smaller finals series consisting of four to five teams, like the old days of the Winfield Cup.

However there are many good incentives for the eight team playoffs series. Before the finals series even begins there are still many teams chasing a playoff position. This could involve up to 12 teams chasing top eight spots. Perhaps in the old days with the five side playoff system, teams in the middle of the table might not have had anything to play for, as the season drew to a close. All they had to look forward to was a nice summer break. The current McIntyre system means most teams in the league have something to play for as the playoffs approach. Players don’t lose interest, so the standard of play remains as good as ever.

With the playoffs comes increased interest. I know from living in Auckland when the Warriors won the minor Premiership, interest went through the roof. Throughout the playoffs, we were hooked. Sky TV and TV 3 must have enjoyed incredible ratings throughout this period. I knew hardly a soul that missed a game during the playoffs.

The playoffs have excitement and all us passionate rugby league fans love it (unless your team loses). Everyone gets their kicks from the drama, and excitement. Its emotional and heart breaking. I know this as I experienced it during the 2002 playoffs series. I will not forget the Warriors, Sharks game, for a long time.

Of course with increased interest, businesses can expect to do very well. As I stated, TV channels experience increased ratings, meaning they will make millions from advertisements. A certain amount of this money goes back to the teams, and everyone is happy. When the grand final moved to Sunday night from the traditional afternoon time slot, Channel Nine was able to broadcast it in a ‘prime time slot’. Being in this time slot a lot more money will be taken from ads.

It's an interesting argument, but in this one I think I'd have to go in favour of the playoffs and I think Rupert Murdoch would agree. The playoffs generate millions of dollars and this is something that the NRL simply can’t turn its back on. A simple league might be exciting if your side is a highflying team like the Warriors or Roosters, if your team isn’t, things would soon become very boring. I believe the playoffs provide absolute emotion and excitement. Its something I enjoy and I think it’s the way to go…

Word Count 748

Seano

Juniors
Australia versus New Zealand – an overview

Throughout the history of Rugby League there have been many memorable battles between the different test playing nations. Teams such as Great Britain, New Zealand, and Australia have been the main contenders throughout the last 95 or so years. However, with the upcoming test series between Australia and New Zealand on the horizon it is timely to reflect on the history and tradition between these most fierce rivals.

There are many interesting facts and figures between these two great Rugby League teams which can be used to backup any argument that could be made. However, the most important fact in any history of two Rugby League teams is their respective record against each other. In the case of Australia versus New Zealand this record stands at having played 85 times over the last 95 years with Australia on top with 60 wins to New Zealands 24 (there is also 1 draw).

Through looking at this record alone, it would seem that Australia would be a clearly superior team, however this is not necessarily the case. Throughout all of the clashes between Australia and New Zealand, with some exceptions of course, there has always been a commitment to produce the best. No matter how much the critics say that Australia will by, the Kiwis always turn up and always give 110%.

By delving through the history books, one is quick to notice that the history between these two teams seems to split into two era’s. The first being that period of time where the two teams were close in terms of results, namely the years between 1908 and c1956. During this time period Australia barely won a test series against New Zealand with most of the series’ ending with either a 2-1 win for the Kiwis or a 1 all drawn series.

However, after 1956 things started to become a little messier for New Zealand. This can be highlighted simply by the fact that the last test series which New Zealand won against Australia was all the way back in 1953 – just on 50 years ago. Of course there have been some one off test wins for the Kiwis, however looking at the bigger picture it is easy to see with whom the dominance lies.

The New Zealand team does however hold some interesting records. During a test match in the year of 1952 held in Brisbane, the New Zealand Rugby League team defeated the Australian team by 49 points to 25 and in doing inflicted the biggest loss in the history of the Australian team. However, Australia did inflict some kind of revenge by winning a test match in April of the year 2000 by a massive 52 points to nil in one of the most lop-sided contests in recent years.

Clashes between Australia and New Zealand have always been close fought and hard games. Even when the gulf in talent seems to be quite large, the occasion of playing Australia always seems to bring out the best in the Kiwis. Similarly, as the difference in skill level between the two teams becomes closer, as is currently happening, the games are sure become even tougher and more of a spectacle.

The players that are likely to be picked for the New Zealand team, have on the whole been playing in the NRL competition for many years now. The mixture between the experienced stars and the up and comers will provide a great challenge for the Australian team and a great game for the spectators.

Speaking of the two teams, while there are no certainties for any test spot, the Australian team, for the main part, picks itself. Players of the quality of Lockyer, Johns, Tallis, et al, will be there and provide a major challenge for the Kiwis. However, the New Zealand team is an interesting proposition. Daniel Anderson has been quoted as saying that the New Zealand team will not be hugely different to the last team that was picked, however it will be interesting to see whether he will choose the recently returned from injury Ali Lauiti'iti over the very in form pairing from Penrith of Tony Puletua and Joe Galuvao.

Whichever team Daniel Anderson comes up with, the next test match on July 25th will be a game to remember. Australia versus New Zealand test matches are always full of passion and pride and most importantly history. My tip: Australia by 10.

Refernces:
http:\\\\rl1908.com

Word Count: 743

Big Mick

Referee
Substitution- Nibbletjones #7, replaces Maelgwnau #2

Congrats to both teams getting 5 Players in this game, not many times this has happened this season.

All the articles are great.

May the best team win

regards

Mick

ozzie

Bench
GAME OVER - TIME PLEASE BOYS AND GIRLS

umftime.gif

Anonymous

Juniors
PANTHERS

Big Mick
Salary Cap Woes: The "Big Mick" Solution
Well researched covering the eccentricities of the salary cap and the 'Big Mick' solution.
749 words (inc title).
Score: 8.8

Bedsy
Are careers outside football a thing of the past?
Right from the heart. The forgotten working footballer and a tribute to the modern community footballer.
746 words (inc title).
Score: 9.2

Justin
The Ultimate
A review of how the game should be played in the spirit that it was intended.
629 words (inc title)
Score: 7.9

Buzz Boy
WHY BRISBANE NEEDS A SECOND NRL TEAM
Addressing the recent speculation regarding the need of a second team in SE Qld and possible relocation from Sydney.
546 words (inc title)
Score: 7.1

Nibbletjones
Do we really need a playoffs series?
Discussing the virtues of semi-finals vs no semi-finals to decide te premiers.
732 words (inc title)
Score: 8.0

PANTHERS TOTAL: 41.0

-----------------------------------------
SOUTHS

Olympic Park
DRIVING TO GAMES
Addressing the sporting and general community needs for better public transport in the suburbs.
721 words (inc title).
Score: 8.9

RedDragon
The Mighty, Mighty Dragons
A well interpreted history of the team that is St George.
742 words (inc title).
Score: 7.8

Terracesider
The 2003 Ashes Series: A Preview From Great Britain.
The title says it all. Get behind it one and all.
742 words (inc title).
Score: 8.5

Bunny Boy
Lockyer = 5/8th not fullback
Singing the praises of Darren Lockyer at five eighth
731 words (inc title).
Score: 7.8

Seano
Australia versus New Zealand - an overview
Well written essay on the current topic of the upcoming Australia vs NZ Test match with a well researched background into the history of the encounter.
741 words (inc title).
Score: 9.2

SOUTHS TOTAL: 42.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Souths 42.2 defeat Panthers 41.0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forummers of the match: Seano (Souths) & Bedsy (Panthers)

Well played everybody. 5 vs 5.
A close match with high quality posts all round.
Without a doubt, the match of the round!