What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6. Thursday 12th April v Roosters @ Allianz Stadium

Pommy

Coach
Look at it another way why shell out a load of money for an older player who I don’t think is bad but I do think is being overhyped in this thread. When you can pay a young English player more not to move to the NRL.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Not really. Remember they have foreign player quotas, I think Clark is a okay player but I don’t think he has anything the SL would pay huge money for or waste a foreign player spot on.

Didn’t know about the foreign players quota, that’s an interesting one. So you don’t think he would get anything more than minimum wage? I remember reading somewhere that Wigan wanted him this year but we didn’t want to grant a release. Surely if a player like FPN can get decent coin over there then Clark should easily get 300k.

If that’s the case and Clark leaves will it mean it’s the clubs fault?

God I hope not. Clark has been a great player but he’s not gonna want to finish his career sitting in the reserves. Just like Goodwin! Best situation for all parties involved.

Pommy

Coach
Didn’t know about the foreign players quota, that’s an interesting one. So you don’t think he would get anything more than minimum wage? I remember reading somewhere that Wigan wanted him this year but we didn’t want to grant a release. Surely if a player like FPN can get decent coin over there then Clark should easily get 300k.

I don’t know what he adds really. He’s a solid player but I wouldn’t say he adds much to a team over there.
I can’t say it won’t happen but I don’t think clubs will be lining up to sign him myself.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I don’t know what he adds really. He’s a solid player but I wouldn’t say he adds much to a team over there.
I can’t say it won’t happen but I don’t think clubs will be lining up to sign him myself.

I think he’d be a solid workhorse with some ball playing skills. His best position is definitely lock but he has Sam Burgess and Murray ahead of him here in that regard. Puts his heart on his sleeve as well. Any team without a decent lock could probably benefit from him majorly.

Pommy

Coach
I think he’d be a solid workhorse with some ball playing skills. His best position is definitely lock but he has Sam Burgess and Murray ahead of him here in that regard. Puts his heart on his sleeve as well. Any team without a decent lock could probably benefit from him majorly.

It depends if their foreign quotas are being taken up elsewhere.

Travitoh

First Grade
Like Pommy has said, he won't be earning big coin in the UK. Their salary cap isn't as high as ours is.
That said, guys like Adam Cuthbertson, Brett Delaney and Joel Moon have carved out successful SL careers after not being much more than NRL first graders.
Jason Clark has the professionalism to succeed there but he won't be earning much more than he would here.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Like Pommy has said, he won't be earning big coin in the UK. Their salary cap isn't as high as ours is.
That said, guys like Adam Cuthbertson, Brett Delaney and Joel Moon have carved out successful SL careers after not being much more than NRL first graders.
Jason Clark has the professionalism to succeed there but he won't be earning much more than he would here.

Well even if the money isn’t more at least he would be playing consistent first grade over there.

CliveC

Juniors
Jason good club man that he is,rarely breaks the line,more often he is forced back,his offloads are great as is his defence.
Seibs appears to have picked up some good uns in Tatola and Nicholls,if they are younger then they should be given priority.
We didn't even make an offer to Jack Gosziewski,possibly because we were trying to keep Angus.
JackG is now in NRL with Manly!
Youth policy is being practised by the club now.
Norths beat the comp. leaders Wests in State Cup today.
Norths team is full of babies,this auguries well for the future!

southsport

First Grade
Jason good club man that he is,rarely breaks the line,more often he is forced back,his offloads are great as is his defence.
Seibs appears to have picked up some good uns in Tatola and Nicholls,if they are younger then they should be given priority.
We didn't even make an offer to Jack Gosziewski,possibly because we were trying to keep Angus.
I saw the end of the norths game but I didn't realise Wests were the comp leaders, Hawkins got MOM.

handyman2190

Bench
JG played 6 games in 3 years because of injurys, no use spending money in that situation. His talent was never in question and sometimes a change of club suddenly changes the luck so good luck to him.

callmack1

Staff member
I watched the game again and man I just loved seeing our forwards play like that. As I said Thursday night, such aggression and power that we haven't seen in a long time.

Upon closer inspection, I also think Reyno played better than a lot of people (me included) are giving him credit for. His kicking and passing was much better, he did a good job defensively and in general, he just looked more up to speed which is good. What's more, his play for Sutto's try was honestly exceptional. To fake a kick like that, fool everyone and then throw a beautiful ball like that was brilliant to watch when you look at it more closely and there was a lot of skill involved.

Need to be way more onto it with support plays, almost every break we made should have lead to a try if we had guys pushing up with the ball carrier.

I still think our passing was a bit clunky at times with passes not finding the mark and the line speed and sliding defence still need work but these are all things that can be fixed and it is improving.

Anyway, the win was great but all the focus is on Canberra now and they're starting to find some form.

ThingFish

Juniors
Ok, before this thread is put to bed. A little joke I read on a forum somewhere a few years ago.

It’s “Bring your Dad to school day” and the kids are telling the class what their parents do.

Susie’s Dad is a fireman and she’s proud of her Dad because he sometimes rescues kittens from trees.

Billy introduces his dad and he’s a doctor. Billy’s proud of his dad because he saves lives.

It’s little Johnny’s turn and the teacher says, “Johnny, where’s your Dad?”. Little Johnny says “He can’t make it miss, he’s working the poles at the gay bar. My dad takes his clothes off for other men, miss. He then oils up and dances in cages. Sometimes if the price is right he’ll do stuff for the customers in the back alley for drugs.”

The class goes quite, completely in shock, and the teacher asks Johnny if she could speak to him in private, out in the hallway.

Concerned she asked “Is all that true Johnny? Does your dad sell his body to other men for drugs?”

Johnny replies “No miss it’s a lie. My Dads really a second rower for the Roosters, but I don’t want anyone at school to find out” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Ok, before this thread is put to bed. A little joke I read on a forum somewhere a few years ago.

It’s “Bring your Dad to school day” and the kids are telling the class what their parents do.

Susie’s Dad is a fireman and she’s proud of her Dad because he sometimes rescues kittens from trees.

Billy introduces his dad and he’s a doctor. Billy’s proud of his dad because he saves lives.

It’s little Johnny’s turn and the teacher says, “Johnny, where’s your Dad?”. Little Johnny says “He can’t make it miss, he’s working the poles at the gay bar. My dad takes his clothes off for other men, miss. He then oils up and dances in cages. Sometimes if the price is right he’ll do stuff for the customers in the back alley for drugs.”

The class goes quite, completely in shock, and the teacher asks Johnny if she could speak to him in private, out in the hallway.

Concerned she asked “Is all that true Johnny? Does your dad sell his body to other men for drugs?”

Johnny replies “No miss it’s a lie. My Dads really a second rower for the Roosters, but I don’t want anyone at school to find out” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s fantastic. Have you seen this one?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/league/matty-johns/matty-does-bondi-with-fletch!673912

Fletch is a funny bloke.

CliveC

Juniors
I saw the end of the norths game but I didn't realise Wests were the comp leaders, Hawkins got MOM.
Wests have been killing it,that Norths display was the best I have seen since Cody was playing for the Bears.
Remember the Norths lineup last year full of yesterday's men?
I was really impressed with Burns who looks NRL to me and the engine room of our pack all kids but big powerful kids,the halves were good,Gallen gave his award to Hawkins the 18 y.o half,methinks the Sharks are in there with cash!.
So much talent and promise! We will have a hard time keeping them!

CliveC

Juniors
I watched the game again and man I just loved seeing our forwards play like that. As I said Thursday night, such aggression and power that we haven't seen in a long time.

Upon closer inspection, I also think Reyno played better than a lot of people (me included) are giving him credit for. His kicking and passing was much better, he did a good job defensively and in general, he just looked more up to speed which is good. What's more, his play for Sutto's try was honestly exceptional. To fake a kick like that, fool everyone and then throw a beautiful ball like that was brilliant to watch when you look at it more closely and there was a lot of skill involved.

Need to be way more onto it with support plays, almost every break we made should have lead to a try if we had guys pushing up with the ball carrier.

I still think our passing was a bit clunky at times with passes not finding the mark and the line speed and sliding defence still need work but these are all things that can be fixed and it is improving.

Anyway, the win was great but all the focus is on Canberra now and they're starting to find some form.
Just a point with Reynos set up for Sutts try,Cody was used as a decoy runner for the try,and drew three Chooks defenders,I have never seen Walker used as a decoy runner before, more often it's Greg.Reyno is a top shelf half when in form and as this teams confidence grows so will our halves improve I think.