What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Rabbitohs

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I cant for the life of me read the comments here about getting rid if the coach without pissing myself.
a few points.

1. Griffin showed a massive set of marbles by dropping the 3 guys .....WTF WOULD A FINE DO TO THESE GUYS MAKING THE COIN THEY DO....NOTHING. You would hope the thing that hurt the players the most was losing the opportunity to put on the jersey and help their mates on the field have a win.

2. Many people have said other clubs would have fined them so that's what we should have done..... Well i can tell you that i live in Brisbane and alot of Broncs fans are sick of the way that they handle problems... e.g James Roberts. Griffin put respect before 2 points and if you think that's not the right call sorry i cant help you. The message that griffin sent out goes alot further than 2 points from 1 game in early April .

3. Griffins track record since coming to the club:
# Gave Nathan Cleary a shot at nrl before most would of considered it
# Converted Peter Wallace from avg half back to one of the better hookers in the comp
# Converted Tyrone Peachey from bench player to starting centre
# And most importantly stopped the cycle of avg jouneyman coming to our club.... and putting his faith in local Penrith juniors and giving many NRL debuts since last year.

4. Could somebody from the 'sack the coach' club please explain to me who should take over? Did you same people see the massive list of candidates for the Tigers job?.... Yeh the coach that got punted from here was the best candidate.......makes me laugh.

And absolutely nothing here about his actual coaching ability. Funny that - because I think he's pretty shit at that side of things. Do you see any improvement in the tactical side of our game? In our discipline? In our defence? In our mental toughness? In our clutch plays? In our consistency? In our use of the bench? In our fitness? Funny you should mention Broncos fans... how many of them actually miss Griffin for what he actually bought to the game?

tripster

Juniors
I stand by Griffin's decision to drop the three for a game. In the end it might have cost us two points but we only lost by 1 point - could easily have won, and we had the opportunity to blood another rookie and get more young guys more first grade time. That will motivate all the young guys who are on the fringes to try hard to make it to first grade because they'll know that merit can get you there and no one is guaranteed a spot.

Can you imagine the psychological affect the 1 point loss would have on Moylan, Blake and Hiku? They will be thinking on the one hand "if we had played we could have won - we let the team down" and equally "shit, without us the team was still in it to the death and only lost by one point - maybe the team could survive without me - I better get my shit together".

A significant problem for our club on the field is discipline - we must give away more silly penalties than anyone else - and that has cost us plenty of games or made games that should have been easy really tough wins. It is as plain as day and Griffin would obviously know it.

However, onfield discipline is all about keeping your focus, remembering the rules and thinking about the consequences of stupid decisions before you make them. How can we expect to become a disciplined outfit on the field if players also don't strictly follow the club's rules off the field? Simple - we don't become that disciplined team we need to be.

Time will either prove it right or wrong, but I fully expect those three who were dropped to come back out completely fired up for the rest of the season. Moylan is going to have a massive point is prove in particular to regain the respect of his team mates (I just hope he doesn't try too hard).

To those criticising Cleary, the guy is 19 years of age, and is already one of the best half backs in the comp. He has incredible skills - his bombs are the deadliest in the competition by far and I've lost count of the number of opposition backs who have dropped them (and by the end of the game had their confidence under the high ball completely ruined). However, knowing what play to make when and how to manage a game comes with time, and he has that on his side. When you factor in the career he has ahead of him I wouldn't trade him for any other number 7 in the comp.

I am a long suffering supporter like the rest of you but am finally feeling like our club has built something special and with a bit of patience we will see real fruit. Like the rest of you I am sick of waiting but I do not think it is all gloom and doom like so many others in this thread make it out to be.

Let's Go Panthers!

BxTom

Bench
We lost by one point largely because 3 players NEEDED to be disciplined - a decision which I agree with - and a few players were injured. The other teams that we lost to (one due to a very bad decision) are currently leading the comp. We have a new halves combo which is still developing. We have coach that did wonders with a team blighted by injuries last year..And now e have people calling for him to be sacked. I'm not going to call in to doubt your support for the team, but, whilst we do want success, DON"T PANIC. There is great depth, great recruitment and a greater potential around this club than there has been since the mid eighties.

Go the Panthers!

roofromoz

First Grade
Not sure where you got this impression but it is absolutely wrong, there was no problem with the club culture under Cleary. In fact Cleary fixed the culture.

Sure there might have been problems with a player or two but the overall culture was not an issue.

I don't think Elliott would not have dumped Jenko to NSW Cup or strip Lewis of the captaincy.

tripster

Juniors
We lost by one point largely because 3 players NEEDED to be disciplined - a decision which I agree with - and a few players were injured. The other teams that we lost to (one due to a very bad decision) are currently leading the comp. We have a new halves combo which is still developing. We have coach that did wonders with a team blighted by injuries last year..And now e have people calling for him to be sacked. I'm not going to call in to doubt your support for the team, but, whilst we do want success, DON"T PANIC. There is great depth, great recruitment and a greater potential around this club than there has been since the mid eighties.

Go the Panthers!

Exactly

Fangs

Coach
Matt Elliott would have had a 'heart to heart' and offered the boys a beer.

'Cmon boys! Rip in on the weekend during the game! Leave the schooners for the riff raff!'

No press conference. No punishment needed. Bois will be Bois!! Let em play geez

Blues Riff

Bench
We should never have let Trent Barret go. The guy's a genius. Oh wait, he's shit again. I will have to reassess next round.

i'm a bit confused i thought peachey was out for at least 4 weeks but fox sports is reporting he should be back next round?

Who has improved under Griffin?
The bloke seems a very poor coach,with all the attacking weapons we have and we look f**king awful. then we have our peahearted pack, if Griffin can't fire them up then bring in someone else to do it

Copperhead

Juniors
Who has improved under Griffin?

Blake for sure. Yeo has too, but his year by year improvement probably would have happened under anyone.
Mansour had his best season last year. Hard to tell what's attributable to the coach, and what's just down to first grade experience.

Pomoz

Bench
Blake for sure. Yeo has too, but his year by year improvement probably would have happened under anyone.
Mansour had his best season last year. Hard to tell what's attributable to the coach, and what's just down to first grade experience.
You answer the question and then dismiss the answer. Griffin has either had players improve, or he hasn't. If players are going to improve anyway then you can't criticise a coach for not developing players. In my view it has been proven time and time again that a good coach improves players. Bellamy has done that countless times at the Storm.

I would add Wallace and JFH to the list of improvers too.

Copperhead

Juniors
You answer the question and then dismiss the answer. Griffin has either had players improve, or he hasn't. If players are going to improve anyway then you can't criticise a coach for not developing players. In my view it has been proven time and time again that a good coach improves players. Bellamy has done that countless times at the Storm.

I would add Wallace and JFH to the list of improvers too.

No, I said it's a bit more complex than yes or no. I fail to see any criticism of Griffin in my post.

What's Bellamy got to do with this debate? Unless by bringing him up you think Griffin has improved our players, just like Bellamy has with the Storm. Wonder how many here would agree with that.

chrisD

Coach
Souths middle had 8 tackle breaks and 6 offloads. Ours had 4 tackle breaks and 2 offloads. Thanks Wallace for an offload.

Souths starting props, the bad Burgess and Kyle Turner had 3 tackle breaks and 1 offload. Our origin and future superstar origin starting props combined for a total of 0 tackle breaks and 0 offloads. From more minutes.

Fortunately we play the knights again pretty soon, round 11, and then Mansour is back who hopefully even on one knee will be able to continue to paper over the cracks.

At this stage arguing about where Moylan, Hiku, Blake or Peachey should play is like arguing over how to arrange deck chairs on the titanic.

GongPanther

Referee
Coach drops players,and coach gets blamed for overall performance v Souths. This is reliving the Elliott experience.

Long way to go folks...Long way to go.

Reactions: Bob

Pomoz

Bench
No, I said it's a bit more complex than yes or no. I fail to see any criticism of Griffin in my post.

What's Bellamy got to do with this debate? Unless by bringing him up you think Griffin has improved our players, just like Bellamy has with the Storm. Wonder how many here would agree with that.
I use Bellamy as an example to show how coaches improve players. If we can agree that coaches can and do improve players, it would seem a tad unfair to attribute any improvement to Panther players as down to just experience. Both experience and a coach have their role to play and what makes the most influence is hard to prove. It might not of a Bellamy magnitude coaching improvement, but it is unlikely to be zero either.

You responded to Umina's comment that "nobody improved under Griffin". You make a rebuttal and then qualify it by saying "the players probably improve anyway". I think that is damning Griffin with faint praise so to speak. You imply that Umina is correct. Griffin doesn't improve players.

I would make the point that just by giving the young players the playing time he has, he has helped develop them and improve them. ME wouldn't give our youth much of a chance at all, Jennings being the notable exception. Cleary wasn't big on promoting youngsters either, although to be fair the production line was only starting to yield good juniors towards the end of his reign.

chrisD

Coach
Penrith's starting front row have had 3 games in which they have not offloaded or broken a tackle. Half the comp have had no games like that. No other team has had 3. The Warriors are the only team with 2, games which they were missing both Matulino and Vete. NQL's one they were obviously missing Scott. Storm's one they were missing McLean.