What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Sharks

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons_matchday_round6_newsimage.jpg

GAME DAY

Game Day Information: Round 6
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 7 Apr 2018, 10:08 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will play the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Friday, April 13.

Gates open: 6:30pm
NRL kick-off:
7:50pm

Broadcast: Channel Nine and Fox League

Hashtags: #NRLDragonsSharks #redv

Match day sponsor: Tynan Motors

KEY MESSAGES

• Dragons up against local rivals the Sharks again in 2018 – this time on home turf.
  • Friday night footy doesn't get better than this. Don't miss the atmosphere and action of the local derby.
  • Kids are free when you purchase a family pass – only $50 when you pre-purchase
  • Tickets at Ticketmaster
  • It's not too late to be a Red V Membership. Secure your place at the game. Red V Membership provides you the best value tickets every time, visit: www.marchwithus.com.au
GAME DAY ACTIVITIES

Precinct Activities

You will find all of your favourite Dragons activities around the precinct:

• Grab your copy of the 2018 Flames Squad Posters from the girls at each entry gate.
  • 'Be a Player' photo opportunity - channel your inner Dragons player and find out how you would look in the Red V.
  • 'Measure Up' banner - see how you 'measure' up to your favourite Dragons players
  • Visit our McDonalds Hill where there will be a jumping castle, face painters, balloon twisters and the Dragons 'Pass the Ball' board
  • Visit the activation area on Harbour Street to collect your:
    • Tynan Motors TRY cards
    • Westfund TRY cards and thunder sticks
    • Brydens Lawyers show bag including a stress ball and drink bottle
    • St George Bank 'GO DRAGONS' banners
    • Purchase your ticket in the 50-50 charity raffle for your chance to take home 50 per cent of the overall funds raised. 50 per cent goes to a winner at the game and 50 per cent goes to the match day charity – Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute. Our last winner took home over $3,000.
RED V MEMBERSHIP

Member access

The following Red V Memberships include entry to the match:

• Platinum
  • Full season
  • Heartland
  • Wollongong upgrade
  • Wollongong pass
  • Five-game flexi*
  • Three-game flexi*
The following Red V Memberships do not include entry to the match:

• Kogarah upgrade
  • Kogarah pass
  • Dragons Faithful
  • Junior Dragon
  • Toddler Dragon
  • Baby Dragon
* If you are a bronze three or five-game flexi member and will be attending this game, please register your attendance by Wednesday, April 11 so we can save you a seat.

Red V Member ticket sales

Red V Members wishing to buy tickets/additional tickets can access a member discount on pre-purchased tickets. Please check your Red V emails for the code to access the discount. The discount expires 11:59pm, April 12, 2018 and is not valid at the gate on game day.

Click here to purchase tickets

Red V Member upgrades at the game:

Members are able to upgrade their tickets at the game by visiting the Ticketmaster box office at the ground on game day and presenting their membership card or ticket with a Red V sticker on it. Prices below are per ticket.

Silver to Gold

$10

Bronze to Silver

$10

Bronze to Gold

$20

GA to Bronze

$10

GA to Silver

$20

GA to Gold

$30

Haven't received your 2018 membership card?

Red V Members who have purchased membership with game entitlements after March 26 will be required to pick up a paper ticket for entry to the match.

Please email redv@dragons.com.au by 5pm, Thursday, April 12 to have your paper ticket printed and ready for collection at the Gate A box office membership window on game day from 6.15pm.

After this time you will need to visit the membership window at the Gate A box office and we will provide you with a paper ticket.

Red V Member enquiries on game day

Should you have a membership enquiry on game day, please see membership staff at one of the following locations:

• Red V Tent outside Gate A: 6:15pm-8:10pm
  • Red V Tent inside Gate C: 6:45pm-full-time
  • Red V Membership ticket window Gate A: 6:15pm-15 minutes after kick-off
Red V Member discounts on game day:

• Show your member card at Dragons merchandise outlets to receive your relevant Member discount
  • Receive up to a five per cent discount at selected food and beverage outlets upon presentation of their membership card. Discount excludes carts and outside vendors.
Premium and Platinum Members

Collect your Big League magazine with your collection voucher at the Red V Membership tents outside Gate A or inside Gate C.

OTHER INFORMATION

Doubles

Winning doubles monies can be collected outside Steelers Club on Harbour Street up to 20 minutes post-match.

Bringing a Banner?

If you are bringing a large flag or banner to the game, please email redv@dragons.com.au. This will register your banner or flag for the 2018 season and help you avoid unnecessary delays at the entry gates.

TICKETS

Available from Ticketmaster. Pre-purchase your tickets and save: buy online at www.ticketmaster.com.au or call 136 100.

Tickets for this game are not available for sale at the Dragons Team Store. To buy in person please visit a Ticketmaster box office.

Please note: General admission on the hill may be enforced as a standing area only when capacity is reached.

Please only purchase tickets to Dragons games at WIN Stadium through Ticketmaster. Tickets purchased through non-official vendors, platforms or individuals cannot be authenticated, exchanged or refunded by the Dragons or Ticketmaster.

MERCHANDISE

Shop and Huts

Open time

Close time

Dragons team store

Leagues Club

10am

5pm

Merch Van

Outside Gate A, Harbour Street

5:30pm

15-mins post-match

Merch Hut

Gate A

6:45pm

15-mins post-match

Merch Hut

Gate C

15-mins post-match

Merch Hut

Gate D

15-mins post-match

SPECIAL OFFERS/PROMOS

Red V Members can redeem their 2018 Member draw magnet by visiting a Dragons merchandise outlet at the game or the Dragons team store. Simply present the voucher found on your welcome letter to receive your magnet.

DRAGONS WEARING

Home jersey

AWAY TEAM ATTENDING

TBC

TRANSPORT INFORMATION

Shuttle Buses

A free courtesy bus will operate for all regular season matches played at WIN Stadium.

The bus picks up from Wollongong Station and makes its way down Burelli Street to WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

The bus commences one hour prior to NRL kick-off and runs to the train timetable of City Rail trains at Wollongong Station.

At the conclusion of the game the bus makes one run to Wollongong Station.

Wollongong's free Gong shuttle bus

Wollongong's free Gong shuttle bus makes it easy to get around Wollongong's city centre. The service operates between 7am-10pm from Monday to Friday, every 10 minutes during peak (7am-9am and 3pm-6pm) and every 20 minutes off-peak.

The weekend service will operate every 20 minutes between 8am and 6pm

Own transport and parking:

There are approximately 1,200 parking spaces located within close proximity, and only a few minutes walking distance, from WIN Stadium and WIN Entertainment Centre.

- WIN Stadium car park (opposite the Sage Hotel): pay and display and parking rates apply

- Stewart Street multi story

- Stewart Street East – special event parking rates apply

- St Francis Xavier Cathedral

- Woolworths car park, Burelli Street

- Market Street

- David Jones car park

- Wollongong Central (GPT)

- Crown Central (north and south)

- Wollongong Station Car Park

Pay and Display machines operate on a number of on-street and off-street parking spaces in the city centre.

If you require accessible parking at WIN Stadium, Wollongong you must hold a mobility parking scheme sticker to qualify.

Please contact the club no later than close of business Wednesday, April 11 to book an accessible parking space for Round 6. Please note that we have limited disabled parking at WIN Stadium and that disabled parking will be allocated on a first in best dressed situation.

Further parking is available in surrounding streets for WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/04/07/game-day-information-round-6/

Bench
Noticed Gallen had his head wrapped up.
That is nothing. Wait till Sims gets hold of him.
The sharks forum say he played one year to long.

Crush

Coach
I know our winning streak will come to an end soon but I want cronulla. I want to smash them by 40 points.
They hate the dragons. They despise us. They don't respect us. Constantly referring to us as St Merge.
Happy to us lose the following week but next week I want to see the sharks fans suffer.

jak

Bench
I know our winning streak will come to an end soon but I want cronulla. I want to smash them by 40 points.
They hate the dragons. They despise us. They don't respect us. Constantly referring to us as St Merge.
Happy to us lose the following week but next week I want to see the sharks fans suffer.
I concur.

Old Timer

Coach
The physicality of the games is increasing week by week and the Sharks game will be even more so as it will be a wrestling match as well.
Playing against the hardened sides with big packs will be the test of where we are at as a team and the next 4 or so few weeks will be very tough and I suspect grinding football.
We should be able to beat the Sharks with a comfortable margin but won't be surprised if we are all holding our breath in the last 2 minutes.
Bench rotation will be everything in the next couple of weeks.

Life's Good

Coach
Surprisingly, the Sharks forwards were outmuscled by the much maligned Roosters pack.
I expect they’ll want to erase that performance by aiming up for a tough middle battle. I can’t see our forwards being unprepared and think they’ll hold their own early allowing us to kick on later in the game. My preference would be to have Sele on the bench in place of Luc. At this stage he is more experienced & less likely to have a brain explosion in what shapes as a tight game.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Surprisingly, the Sharks forwards were outmuscled by the much maligned Roosters pack.
I expect they’ll want to erase that performance by aiming up for a tough middle battle. I can’t see our forwards being unprepared and think they’ll hold their own early allowing us to kick on later in the game. My preference would be to have Sele on the bench in place of Luc. At this stage he is more experienced & less likely to have a brain explosion in what shapes as a tight game.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Luc got hurt yesterday so we will see if he ok.
But agree sele is better value.
Also host is going great so I would have him in.

Life's Good

Coach
Luc got hurt yesterday so we will see if he ok.
But agree sele is better value.
Also host is going great so I would have him in.
That’s good to hear about Host. I’d prefer him & Sele on the bench in front of Luc & Latimore(who is going well but I think Host/Sele add more dynamism to our bench rotation). Let’s see what the team selection throws up.

Dragon66

Juniors
The team is going well atm but my concern is the battering our key forwards are copping, it was noticeable halfway through the second half last week when our defensive line was starting to hold and watch due to fatigue. Something they have not done in the first four games.

Our “Power Game” takes it toll on all the players, not just the forwards but the two centres and both wingers who all spend a lot of time acting as battering rams out of dummy half or one off the ruck.

Souths were noticeably better at keeping the ball alive in attack than us but luckily they also had a high mistake rate as well.

I’m concerned about the cumulative effect this will have on the team after our Rd.8 Anzac Day Grand Final, as has happened with the previous two years.

So I’m going to suggest a team and strategy to mitigate the potential for early burn out.

The team I pick for Round 6 is designed to get the best out of our top 13, and ensure that burn out is kept to a minimum, as well as ensuring our up and coming juniours get some meaningful game time to develop them as competitive NRL players.

1.Dufty
2.Nightingale
14. Mann
4. Lafai
5. McDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
15. AhMau
11. Frizzell
16. Host
13. JDB

10. Vaughan
12. Simms
3. Aitken
17. Sele

The logic of these suggestions is based on the principle of having our best players together and as fresh as possible in the key parts of the game.
The first 20 minutes is usually just a slug fest, until fatigue kicks in and the game begins to open up.

Two points: I believe Aitken plays centre like he is an edge forward (can’t pass) and Mann offers more options to get Nighty some space, and AhMau’s form and style makes him ideal for the softening up period of the first 20.

I also think that Simms is our best proposition as our 4th best middle forward, even though I acknowledge how well he is playing on the edge, esp. in defence.
Latimore is solid but nothing special and nowhere near as good as Simms would be in the middle.
And Luc is playing like a rabbit in the headlights, and needs to play in the ISP until he shows he can offer some impact. Host has developed into a quality player on the edge.

THE STRATEGY:

Interchange.

My starting line up starts the game and the first change comes in the 20 minute mark.

First change: 20mins - Host off, Aitken on and stays on for the rest of the game.
Second change: 20mins – AhMau off, Vaughan on for the rest of the game.
Third change: 30mins – Graham off, Simms on

Halftime

Fourth change: Halftime – JDB off, Sele on
Fifth change: 55min – Frizzell off, Graham on, Simms to the edge
Sixth change: 60min – Sele off, JDB on.

The final two changes during the last 20 minutes would depend on the state of the game. Have we got a good lead, arm wrestle, or trying to come from behind.

Frizzell and AhMau are ready to return, and if the team has a strong lead Host or Sele might get extra minutes.

On a final note: Mann would still cover any backline injuries except fullback, with Aitken taking up a centre position, Widdop would replace Dufty if injured with Mann slotting into 5/8.

This lineup ensure all 17 players get fair time on the field, and are kept as fresh as possible for the length of the season.

getsmarty

Immortal
The team is going well atm but my concern is the battering our key forwards are copping, it was noticeable halfway through the second half last week when our defensive line was starting to hold and watch due to fatigue. Something they have not done in the first four games.

Our “Power Game” takes it toll on all the players, not just the forwards but the two centres and both wingers who all spend a lot of time acting as battering rams out of dummy half or one off the ruck.

Souths were noticeably better at keeping the ball alive in attack than us but luckily they also had a high mistake rate as well.

I’m concerned about the cumulative effect this will have on the team after our Rd.8 Anzac Day Grand Final, as has happened with the previous two years.

So I’m going to suggest a team and strategy to mitigate the potential for early burn out.

The team I pick for Round 6 is designed to get the best out of our top 13, and ensure that burn out is kept to a minimum, as well as ensuring our up and coming juniours get some meaningful game time to develop them as competitive NRL players.

1.Dufty
2.Nightingale
14. Mann
4. Lafai
5. McDonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
15. AhMau
11. Frizzell
16. Host
13. JDB

10. Vaughan
12. Simms
3. Aitken
17. Sele

The logic of these suggestions is based on the principle of having our best players together and as fresh as possible in the key parts of the game.
The first 20 minutes is usually just a slug fest, until fatigue kicks in and the game begins to open up.

Two points: I believe Aitken plays centre like he is an edge forward (can’t pass) and Mann offers more options to get Nighty some space, and AhMau’s form and style makes him ideal for the softening up period of the first 20.

I also think that Simms is our best proposition as our 4th best middle forward, even though I acknowledge how well he is playing on the edge, esp. in defence.
Latimore is solid but nothing special and nowhere near as good as Simms would be in the middle.
And Luc is playing like a rabbit in the headlights, and needs to play in the ISP until he shows he can offer some impact. Host has developed into a quality player on the edge.

THE STRATEGY:

Interchange.

My starting line up starts the game and the first change comes in the 20 minute mark.

First change: 20mins - Host off, Aitken on and stays on for the rest of the game.
Second change: 20mins – AhMau off, Vaughan on for the rest of the game.
Third change: 30mins – Graham off, Simms on

Halftime

Fourth change: Halftime – JDB off, Sele on
Fifth change: 55min – Frizzell off, Graham on, Simms to the edge
Sixth change: 60min – Sele off, JDB on.

The final two changes during the last 20 minutes would depend on the state of the game. Have we got a good lead, arm wrestle, or trying to come from behind.

Frizzell and AhMau are ready to return, and if the team has a strong lead Host or Sele might get extra minutes.

On a final note: Mann would still cover any backline injuries except fullback, with Aitken taking up a centre position, Widdop would replace Dufty if injured with Mann slotting into 5/8.

This lineup ensure all 17 players get fair time on the field, and are kept as fresh as possible for the length of the season.

So Mann plays 60 mins in the forwards ? or you move someone else from the backs into the forwards...Nighty ala Wayne ?