What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 (2005) Rhinos Vs Lions

roosterboy60

Juniors
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Orange County Rhinos v Sydney Lions[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Game Thread
Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
Any other posts will result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
Only original essays, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves
Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Full Time: Wednesday 22nd June at 9pm (Syd time)[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Venue: Chrismukah Stadium
ground_stampede_1.jpg

Crowd: 6,420
REFEREE: Antonius
[/font]

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]**Referee Blows Game On!**[/font]

Mzilikazi

Juniors
The Rhinos team to battle the Lions:

Mzilikazi (c),
Parki (vc),
Hightown Tiger,
Not So Silent Bob,
Mr Angry.

Reserves:

t-ba
Canteen Worker
Zaphod

Mzilikazi

Juniors
A Manly Man

At a time when the failings of the modern player are pointed out with monotonous regularity it’s refreshing to be reminded that there are some that stand upon the pedestal of the hero and are worthy of their calling.

The ability to tackle, run and pass is not an immediate qualification for greatness. It is the other human traits that these characters display, despite the spotlight of fame, which earns them to the right to wear the distinction with pride.

One of the best examples of that in the modern game is Steve “Beaver” Menzies.

He burst onto the scene as a rangy, long striding teenager in a match against the all-conquering Broncos in 1993 and more than held his own against a star-studded forward pack.

Within two years of his debut he was comfortably within the top echelon of players that benefited from the fierce bidding war that broke out for their services as Super League began to wind it’s tentacles of filthy lucre over the game. In his early twenties he was a member of one of the greatest League teams to grace a paddock and a member of a back row trio that only comes to clubs once in a lifetime.

Yet it was when he was at the height of his powers as a player that his club fell on hard times and the years of success quickly dried up. It didn’t prevent him from maintaining a consistent standard of excellence that allowed him to push for representative honours from the cellar.

Yet what makes Menzies a hero to the Manly faithful runs far deeper than what he has achieved on the field. What will rank him as a “great” of this club is the strength of character that he has shown over thirteen years in the maroon and white. Bear with me as I reminisce about those traits which have endeared him to us.

Loyalty: It is one thing to remain with a club when they are successful and when the benefits from that success flow in the form of frequent call ups to representative teams. Menzies enjoyed huge success in the early part of his career. Many are the player that are seen as “loyal” without their loyalty being tested by the frosts of losing seasons and poorly performed colleagues.

Menzies has endured numerous tests in the form of mergers, collapsing clubs and huge monetary offers from others but has chosen to not only remain in our colours but to go above and beyond the call of duty by unwaveringly doing what it takes to keep the club afloat and its profile intact.

Humility: Menzies is the greatest try scoring forward that the game has ever seen. Countless times he has thrilled us by loping into the clear, standing up opponent after opponent, and putting the ball over the stripe. Yet there is only one memory that I have of Menzies after scoring those tries. It is that he stands up, a huge grin splitting his face, and accepts the handshakes of his team mates with little fuss or fanfare. Even in the days when players were encouraged to jitter-bug and preen for the cameras, Menzies’ post try routine never changed. There is no lair in this man. He has always been respectful to opponent, opposing crowds and the name of the game that has given him his living.

Work ethic: To reach the top and stay there requires huge discipline and a commitment to hard work. It is even harder to stay at the top when dizzy heights have been reached. Many is the player that has shone brightly for a season or two before being lured by the bright lights and temptations of fame. Menzies enters his thirteenth season at the top. That alone is testament to his hard work and dedication to excellence.

When I think of role models for my own boys to emulate, I look at Menzies and see many things that can be shown to them that are honourable and worthy of their admiration. This hero has not tarnished his reputation or been removed from his elite pedestal.

With other senior leaders and players of quality around him and an uninterrupted, stable and positive off-season we are seeing this man of immense character re-wind the clock and produce a season of such a vintage that we will toast it for years to come.

He is worthy of the moniker “great”.

(745 words)

choc_soldier

Coach
parra_panther, running out for the Lions...

YES, ONE OF THOSE “WHAT’S WRONG WITH PENRITH THIS YEAR” ARTICLES…

So, what’s doing? It is quite concerning.

At the halfway point in the season, the Panthers are languishing in thirteenth place, with only five wins to its name.

Disappointment is a massive understatement. Myself and fellow supporters have been restless with discontent, venting spleens in the forum on the official website. Reading and participating in this is often a health hazard.

The major topic of discussion, amongst the post-mortems on a Monday morning after yet another demoralising loss, is what is wrong with the Penny Panthers. It appears to be the question that has no real answer, but it doesn’t stop the ten cents being chucked in the ring.

Here are some:

The forwards

This has been met with mixed success this year. As it has been documented, Penrith beefed up over the off-season, in the hope that they would monster over the opposition.

Whilst the Panthers as a team have the most metres gained in the NRL this year, this extra bulk appears to also result in them being one of the unfittest teams in the competition. This sets on fatigue, which opens up gaps and lead to soft tries. Fade outs have also been occurring in the back end of matches - need I mention the Brookvale debacle?

Spelling the word team with “I”

Only a few times this year have the Panthers truly played as a team. With the talent that Penrith possesses, they are a force to be reckoned with if they play as a unit.

As the saying goes, a champion team is always better than a team of champions. 2003 and even last year, Penrith were the champion team. This year, however, it appears to be the team of champions. It is almost as if the 13 players out there are just waiting for someone to weave their magic and get them out of trouble. The Priddis try against the Warriors was a perfect example, or many of Wesser’s efforts this year.

When the Panthers have decided to play as a team, they have looked very dangerous. But unfortunately, that has been switching on and off like a tap this year.

The Gower factor

This guy has been absolutely busting his gut so far this year, trying every week to get the Panthers across the line, but unfortunately he often goes away empty handed. “Gowie” is not having the best of seasons, but his form is still solid enough to be in rep calculations.

It appears that if Gower can’t fire, then the Panthers don’t purr as convincingly. I am not suggesting that Penrith is a one man team, but Craig is definitely the oil that runs the Panthers machine.

Loss of personnel

The experience of Girdler, brutality of Lang, brillance of Roberts and the reliability of Whatuira have been sorely missing this year. Their absences do not make Penrith look as imposing a team as they have been for the past two years.

Injuries

What injuries? Apart from Puletua out for the season, and the occasional short term injuries suffered by key personnel (i.e. missing for 1-2 games), Penrith have had a rather good run with them this year, so it is not even going to be used as a valid excuse.

The mental game

I am sure that the Panthers start every game with the will to end up victors at full time, and can visualise the goal. It is just the means used to achieve this goal, and how this appears to be out of sync.

At times, their attitude is shocking – almost as if they are disinterested or they are just waiting for something to happen, rather than making it.

There are many more reasons that could be identified – some of them as obvious as the nose on your face, others so obscure that only certain people can understand.

But something is definitely awry at the foot of the mountains this year. The Panthers train, which was touted as premiership favourites by a few in the pre-season, could be derailed very soon, with no chance of recovery.

But make no mistake, Penrith’s season is not gone. Yet anyway. While there is still life, there is hope. The victory against the Storm was almost a stay of execution, on the finals tightrope that the Panthers must negotiate between now and the end of the season. But with every loss, the tension on the rope loosens.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Word count: 745 [including title]

*Sandy*

First Grade
PK on for the Lions.

No Hope.

I am usually an optimistic person but I am failing to find a positive outlook for an Under 10’s Division 2 team.

So far this season they have won one game. They usually lose with scores of more than 40 put on them. My optimism is not lost because they are losing games but it is the way they are being coached, the demeanour the boys have acquired on field and their destructive attitude on and off field towards each other.

It’s sad and frustrating to watch from the sideline. You not only hear some of the boys complaining but also see many of the parents venting quietly amongst themselves. I could honestly say that half the team’s parents are not just disappointed but discouraged with the way their team has been coached and managed.

It starts with the boys’ lack of respect for the coach. It seems he has no control over his own son let alone the team. His assistants don’t look to be inputting much but rather just standing back and watching the chaos evolve in front of them. Parents have ceased to help out due to the mouthing off they get from the coach's son when they have tried to step in and gain some control. Even being suspended for 2 matches hasn’t helped this boy’s attitude.

The team itself is constantly bickering with each other; there is no team bond at all. The older brothers are seemingly allowed to take an active role by taking on the job as a linesman as well as constantly tormenting the boys whilst they are playing a game. If you are not the halfback’s mate then you are not likely to see the ball, unless you are lucky enough to come across a loose ball.

There are no set plays to utilize the whole team. Three forwards hit it up and they are usually the same three forwards every set. The backs are supposed to run the last two plays. There’s hardly any passing because it’s like Christmas for a back to see a ball, for if the forwards haven’t lost the ball prior in tackles, the half back is having to kick to gain some ground.

It seems the coach’s idea of gaining the player’s confidence is to stand over him and question as to why he is not as good as last year. The coach does not utilize every player’s abilities on field, he either doesn’t care or is completely ignorant that there are only a certain amount of players on field who are actually involved with the set plays. The coach has no consistency with game time. You can get up at 6.00 am, drive 50 minutes and be lucky to watch your son play 10 mins of the game. Then the next week watch someone else’s son play 10 minutes at the expense of your complaint. There is always 3 to 4 bench players every game and every boy deserves equal amount of game time.

It’s a wonder some of these boys want to play at all.

It is of small comfort to see the manager of the junior club take an active interest last week by involving the Under 10’s Division 1’s coach, who are currently 2nd on the ladder, to offer help with training. It was pleasing to hear that the attitude within the team at training was toned down whilst this other coach was present but whatever they learnt was lost and not put into play the following game day because they lost 50 something to 4.

Whatever happened to junior sport being fun?

How many children walk away from junior sport discouraged due to the lack of coaching or management within the team?

How do you keep a child’s enthusiasm up when you’ve lost it yourself?

I obviously don’t have any answers to the above questions as I’ve lost hope for this particular team and have often thought that of walking away to save my son from being completely discouraged himself. It’s plain to see that the coach needs to be replaced and a few boys need to be shown discipline within them before the team’s spirit can even be repaired. But how do you replace a father who has given up his leisure time to try and coach a group of boys?

Word count = 724 including title.

roosterboy60

Juniors
With ten to go.

Well, as we move into the last ten rounds, let’s have a look at how teams are traveling.

The Broncos aren’t really surprising as they have a good side, and providing they don’t get injuries they will be very hard to beat in the second half of this season. Darren Lockyer once again has provided the goods and is at the moment the best player in the world. Deserving to be favorites.

The team that I predicted to be in the Top 4 at the end of the season in the Eels hasn’t let me down yet, and their halfback Tim Smith is a star of the future. One of the Grand Final teams in my opinion, watch them continue their good form.

No one at all would of predicted Manly to be coming third with ten rounds remaining, but although a lot of people have been thinking their bubble will burst at some point in time, it just hasn’t.

The Cowboys in my opinion are the team to beat, they are the most dangerous attacking them in this year’s competition. Matt Bowen in my opinion has been the best player in the competition this year, and I think his form will continue to improve.

The Sharks started off the season really well, but over the past weeks have suffered losses to the Eels, Cowboys and Tigers but bounced back last weekend against the Roosters. Brett Kimmorley’s form has been down since his State Of Origin performance. I still have a question mark on them.

The Dragons started off the Season poorly but since their win against the Roosters on Anzac Day they have turned things around. Ben Hornby has been magic at the back and at halfback this year. Defiantly a premiership contender.

The Storm were brilliant in the first few weeks of the competition but have been inconsistent since then. Still, with Scott Hill and Matt Orford at the helm, they are still a premiership chance. Billy Slater once again has been a try-scoring machine and with him at fullback, anything can happen.

The Roosters looked like they had been getting back on track but have now gone into another form slump after their loss to Manly, a very important game coming up this Friday against the Eels. They still have been the most impressive of the past three premiers. Keep an eye out for Jamie Soward when he returns from injury, a huge star of the future.

The Raiders were tipped to win the wooden spoon by a lot of people at the start of the year but have been very surprising in the first half of the season and at one time were on top of the ladder. They will miss Jason Smith for the next few weeks though, which may hurt them in the long run.
The Bulldogs can be excused in a way with all there injuries, but unfortunately for them, time is running out and although they will be getting their players back in the coming weeks, the question is have they done enough with the players that they have had available. All I know is if they make the finals and have all players on deck I wouldn’t want to play them and after there win over Canberra, that’s a big possibility.

I have mixed feelings on the Warriors and although they have impressed me at times, I don’t think they have what it takes to win the premiership. Stacey Jones has impressed me and will be a huge loss for the Warriors when he leaves at the end of this season.

The Tigers are also an inconsistent side, which I think are about a year or two away from becoming a real premiership force. I think Scott Prince is one of the best halfbacks running around, and I hope he continues to evolve.

The Panthers are all but gone, the premiers in 2003 have been very disappointing this year. The second half of the year might be different, but I seriously doubt it. They will not make the Top 8 from here even after their win against the Storm on the weekend.

I think both Souths and the Knights are also gone, although the Knights will provide some good games with Andrew Johns back on the field and Souths have some good young players. So hopefully there will be some good games with these two sides in it.

It’s going to be a great final ten!

750 Words Including Title.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Mr Angry - For The Rhinos

Rugby Evolutions - The case for eleven.

When rugby league first split from rugby union, the first thing the organizers did was lower the numbers of players who played on the field. I presume it was felt the game would improve and become more expansive with only thirteen players on the field. Whilst there were many changes this particular change was the most profound.
They were right.
100 years on and with players getting bigger, faster and stronger every generation, the question has to be asked, is thirteen to many?
The average forward in the NRL today will weigh over 100kgs and be able to run 100m in under 12-13 seconds. Backs these days are getting quite large as well, it is not unusual to have a centre three quarter who weighs over 100kgs and can still run like a centre should - extremely quick with nimble footwork.

Whilst the smaller players are still playing and competing with these giants, some of the ugliest parts of rugby league revolve around the size of the men who play the game and the amount of players on the field.

The game of Rugby League has new rule changes each year and is continually evolving; therefore this proposal is to reduce the number of players to 11.
The main reasons are

The Gang Tackle

Many a good judge including the likes of Warren Ryan, Wayne Bennett and Brain Smith are the first to say the gang tackle is blight on our game. One huge brute charging forward only to be confronted by four equally large brutes ready to pound him back from whence he came. This clash of colossal sized men, whilst entertaining is shortening the playing life of these humongous men.

The Scrum
Being an old hooker in my day, it pains to say I think scrums have outlived there use. It simply is not a contest anymore, yet still the potentially career ending and life threatening spinal injuries pack down with every scrum we still form. In the case for 11 the scrum will be redundant. Handover of possession via a play the ball (zero tackle) for a knock on and a tap kick restart for over the sideline turnovers.

The Financials
Having 11 players’ only means 2 less players per squad. We you spread that over a junior club with over 10 ages groups and some with more than one team per age group the savings for every junior club are very tangible. At the higher level, the salary cap can be stretched even further when there are two less players per grade.

A team would consist of the following positions.

1. Fullback
2. Left Winger
3. Left Centre
4. Right Centre
5. Right Winger
6. Halfback
7. Left Forward
8. Right Forward
9. Centre Forward
10. Acting Half
11. Centre Forward

With a 4 man interchange bench

Another change that could be included in any evolution of the great game of ours.

The Points
I personally have never been a fan of points being awarded for the skill that is kicking. I have always felt William Webb Ellis decided to pick the ball up and run because he did not want to kick it anymore. Yet in today's game, very few sides can survive without a top class kicker in their side and in Union your kicker can be the difference between winning a world cup and being an also ran. In this revolution of the game I would be seeking to minimize the points that come from kicking. The recommendation would be 1 point for any kicks, field goals, penalty goals, conversions and 4 for a try.

There will always be opposition and very compelling arguments against any such evolution of the game, but if League is to survive and prosper in today’s professional sporting environment, these steps will help remove some of the concerns parents have when deciding what sport little Johnny can play. The game as a spectacle will improve with the space given to these skilful players. However the most compelling reason is the help with the financial side of running any club at any level.

Not so Silent bob for the Rhinos.

Crowds.

I’ve been to a lot of rugby league matches in my short life. The earliest one I can remember was when I was eight. It was Western Suburbs Magpies versus Penrith Panthers. I don’t remember much else about that day, except for one thing: the crowd was very, very small. Unfortunately, that tiny crowd severely dented my enthusiasm for league for about six years, which was fine because I supported the Magpies, and therefore didn’t have much to be ecstatic about.

The problems with that particular crowd were not only was it small, it wasn’t very vocal either. There was nobody shouting out “GET EM ONSIDE!!!” at the top of their lungs, nobody insulting the referee (I was disappointed with that particular one), and worst of all, fans from each team who were drunk weren’t beating the crap out of each other. What a dismal effort from the crowd. No one even got arrested. My dad tried bringing me to other games, but they were much like this one: No atmosphere, no passion, and no heart.

Then came the new millennium, and with it, a new team: the Wests Tigers. While I was sad to see the (shockingly bad) Magpies leave first grade, I looked forward to seeing something new at the matches. New attack, defense, style of play, etc. So I went to a couple of games in their opening year. For the first few games, things were improving: the crowd was shouting out appraise, disapproval, garbled nonsense (usually provided by the drunks), declarations of love and affection, and finally, death threats (in that order).

Then one game changed everything. It made me unable to go to a game for four years.

About mid-season Wests Tigers were due to play the Bulldogs at Campbelltown Stadium, so my dad and I decided to go see it. We got there about halfway through Jersey Flegg, and the crowd wasn’t exactly big. As time went on, though, the crowd started to build up, and eventually became so massive you had to line at the start of the first grade game to get a meat pie and a beer by half-time. It was only three quarters through the game that we discovered that the crowd record had been smashed. Replacing it was an almighty 18,863, which is excellent for a 20,000 capacity stadium.

And therein lays the problem: there was still no atmosphere. You couldn’t tell from the outside hat there 18,000 odd people. It might have had something to do with the fact that we were getting beaten by twenty points, and also the fact that there were as many Bulldogs supporters as there were Tigers supporters, but there was no feeling from the crowd. There was only one good thing about the crowd: most of us joined (even some Canterbury supporters) in on the chant “RICKY’S A WANKER!” several times over. In fact, I believe that lasted a good ten minutes. But not even that could salvage the audience’s mood.

It was a while before I went to another game. My spirit just seemed broken (plus I had Foxtel, so I was watching all the games anyway). I basically went into exile from footy matches.

The thing about crowds, in my opinion, is they need to have four things: a healthy contingent of home fans, large amounts of beer (whether or not said beer exits the body or not is inconsequential), meat pies with sauce, and copious amounts of unfair and downright disgusting abuse directed at the referee, favourite ones include: “YOU’RE USELESS”, “ARE YOU BLIND!?”, and “@#$%&*% DUMB @#*%”. The only game which I have been to in which all four were present happened only a few weeks ago, on a cold Friday night at Campbelltown Stadium. Wests Tigers played Cronulla Sharks, and the crowd was massive. It had been building up slowly as the night wore on, finally culminating in a massive 17,500 something mass of kids, adults, and blind drunk people.

This crowd had a lot of things: lots of hometown support, beer flying everywhere (in some cases literally; I almost got beamed in the head by a VB can), really nice Sharks supporters who weren’t terribly upset they lost, and lots of Sharks supporters who were REALLY pissed off they lost. And of course, lots of unhealthy abuse directed at one Paul Simpkins and also ‘star’ halfback Brett Kimmorley, much of which was provided by yours truly.

Ah, crowds. When they’re on, they’re on.

748 words, including title.

EA for the Lions.

Dave the Hotdog man.

Liverpool NSW.

It was there, at the entrance to the Railway station that I first met Dave the Hotdog man. For months I had bought the odd Hotdog on the way home from work and hadn’t given him or his small van, that looked like it had been beaten out of cheap metal by a high school metalwork class on its first assignment, a second thought. That was until one afternoon just before round one in 1976 when I saw, almost hidden in the corner of the van, a blue and gold beanie.

That’s when it hit me, I had been buying a couple of hotdogs a week from this bloke with barely a please or thank you, yet he was probably a kindred spirit. After ordering my Hotdog I took a deep breath and posed the question “Do you follow Parramatta”?

“No, I don’t follow them” he replied, “I worship them”.

Immediately we began a long chat, in between customers, about how long we’d followed them, how we would go in the upcoming season and how much we’d love to win a premiership. A friendship had begun in earnest.

A week or so and a lot of hotdogs later, Dave mentioned that a few of his mates were regulars at the Marine Bar in Liverpool and that League was always the main topic of discussion. Back in the early to mid 1970’s, there were few places available for good Rugby League discussion.

So I headed to the pub that Thursday night with another Parramatta supporter in tow, a bloke called Hollywood Joe. It was a great night and after introductions we spent the best part of four hours discussing everything from bloody Manly to Bob O’Reilly’s balding pate. It was like that every Thursday from then on, beer, mates and Footy, perfect. It helped that Parramatta were having a great year so the team and their supporters entered the semi finals brimming with confidence.

The semis went with nary a hitch and in the blink of an eye the Thursday night Marine Bar gathering was canned in favour of a trip to Parramatta to soak up the atmosphere and see the players motorcade down the main street. We made our plans for Grand Final eve that night, it turns out that Dave had a brother in the Navy and his flat at Waterloo was empty for the weekend. So the afternoon prior to the Grand Final, Dave, Joe and I made our way there.

The drinking began immediately, I recall standing on the balcony of this 15th floor flat a couple of hours later waving a large Parramatta flag and singing the Parramatta song. I also recall moments later watching the contents of my stomach float slowly toward the street below. Hollywood Joe came out … to make sure I hadn’t defiled the flag.

At 11pm we made our way to the Moore Park Road entrance where we made ourselves as comfortable as possible, 20 people back from the entrance.

It is at this point I must apologise to all the Parramatta and Manly supporters there that night. I wasted three sets of batteries and the tape with the Parramatta team song finally gave out at 3am.

The gates opened and the avalanche of people flowed through them, we opted for seats on the Eastern side of the ground and settled in. My memory of the game itself is pretty much a blur, lost in a hangover that would have downed a Bull Elephant, but the sight of Sulkowicz and Glover combining to snuff out Parramatta’s last chance to win their maiden Grand Final is forever etched in my memory, right next to the Manson murders and Joe Dolce. The day was over and we made our way home, exhausted and disappointed.

As tends to happen, life moves on and I lost touch with Dave over the next couple of years. I changed jobs so there was no need to use trains any more, Thursday nights became overtime night, the Pub, the Hotdog Van, Dave and even the Football soon made way for job and eventually, family.

I heard that recently that Dave passed away a few years ago and it struck me that often the memories of people like Dave just fade away, dampened by time and life itself. But Dave was instrumental in what turned out to be the best year of my Rugby League life to date. For you mate, thanks.

749 words.

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
The Rhino'sHightown ‘Billy Slater’ Tiger intercepts the ball, he has a clear run to the line!

Take the two

Imagine the following scenario: Your rugby league team is playing in a vital match, the opposition have just added a drop goal to leave your side 5 points adrift. Then, your team are given a penalty on the oppositions line. One of your players taps it, and passes it to a giant prop forward who goes rumbling in, no one can stop him! 1 point adrift with a kick right in front of the sticks. Up steps the goalkicker, your team’s star halfback and…he misses!

Sounds familiar? Many players have achieved the unwanted feat of missing from in front of the sticks-of course, the most famous was probably in the Watersplash Final of 1968 when Don Fox missed from in front of the sticks. Few remember the same player won the Lance Todd trophy that day. He never played again. But there’s more-I recall Steve McNamara missing from in front of the sticks for Bradford Bulls, Ben Walker (remember him?) putting it wide whilst playing for Leeds Rhinos against Widnes. In fact, as I type this I’ve just heard that Danny Mguire has done the same against Wigan. Ok, it didn’t affect the result (Leeds are leading by 60 odd points at this stage of the game) but it’s a silly error. And just to show I’m not biased, I remember Castleford’s very own Wayne Godwin missing against Leeds, a ‘daisy cutter’ style kick if I remember rightly.

So what is it that causes so many players to miss from in front of the sticks? I can guarantee the same players will slot them over in training, 100 times out of 100. Is it pressure? Quite a few times you will see players miss these easy kicks, then convert from the touchline. Maybe it’s because from the touchline you aren’t always expected to convert, so quite often there is very little pressure. On the other hand, from in front of the sticks you are expected to put them over.

Maybe it’s laziness. Players probably don’t give these types of kick’s much thought. I’m a strong believer that kickers need to vary their styles when attempting to add the 2. For example, from the touchline I expect players to take a while to line the ball up. On the other hand, I believe the longer you take when in front of the sticks, the harder it becomes. Nerves set in, suddenly the sticks seem to crawl into the distance!

I know (or at least I’ve come to this explanation) because last Saturday I was given the chance to add my second goal of my career for my rugby league team. It was just to the left of the sticks, but still quite a tight angle (and the pressure was on, because if the conversion was successful the team would reach the half century), and I knew if I spent too long sizing it up, timing my run etc I would probably miss. So I spent no more than 15 seconds positioning the ball on the ground, took 3 steps back and one to the left, looked at the sticks and kicked it. I couldn’t have hit it better, and the whole process can’t have taken longer than 30-40 seconds. As if to prove my point, another player who also doesn’t normally kick was given the opportunity from the exact same location. He must have spent about a minute timing his run, making sure the ball was angled correctly, and his kick went wide.

I don’t claim to be Johnny Wilkinson (Newcastle and England RU), or Paul Sykes (London Broncos), or Hazem El Masri (Canterbury Bulldogs), or…(there are countless other good kickers out there!), but I think players just need to examine the situation more carefully, because before long I can see another ‘Watersplash Final’ miss occurring, and I’m sure if/when this happens, people will remember it for years, just like Don Fox is remembered all these years after that miss.

So next time your team opts to take a shot at goal from in front of the sticks, don’t be too confident!

Words including title: 699

Eelectrica

Referee
Eelectrica for the Lions

Good Times for Eels fans

At the moment it’s fun once again to be a supporter of the Parramatta Eels. I don’t know how much longer the good times are going to last so whilst the going is good I thought I’d take a look at our team and see how they stack up against the last Eels team to make the big game.

Firstly I’ll take a look at the backs.
Overall the 2001 backs must be considered superior to their 2005 counterparts. They were all incredible in attack and not lacking in defence. This year’s version is more defence oriented with Tahu and Grothe being the main scoring threats.
Ben Smith this year is in some ways similar to Lyon in 2001. Lyon made his debut in June 2000; Ben Smith debuted towards the end of last year and has established himself as a first grade regular this year. Only time will tell if he reaches the heights that Lyon achieved. As long as he doesn’t end his tenure with Eels the way Lyon did I’ll be happy.

Halves
Comparing the halves of the two teams is really like comparing apples to oranges. Jason Taylor and Michael Buettner had years of experience and had formed a good partnership playing for the Bears. Jason Taylor, thrown a lifeline before the season started proved to be the missing link in the halves the Eels were long searching for. The only problem being that it was for only one year before heading into playing retirement.
In direct opposition to that Tim Smith has only made his debut this year. What a debut it has been though. He is guiding the team around the park like a veteran and the first thing I noticed at the start of the year is how threatening he is in the opposition 20.
John Morris has played a few seasons but this is his first season as the full time 5/8th. He too has exceeded all expectations and has had a great deal to do with the Eels success this year.
Overall though, due to experience I’ve got to go with the 2001 halves combo is being superior to the 2005 young guns.

The Forwards
One place I believe the 2005 Eels team to be superior to the players in 2001 is in the forwards. Nathan Hindmarsh has improved immensely since then and has established himself as a top level rep player.
Nathan Cayless has had a couple of injury plagued seasons but is now starting to regain the form he had in 2001. With the added experience I believe he will be better now than he was then.
Glenn Morrison has proven to be a great signing this year and has taken so much pressure off Hindy. Ian Hindmarsh in 2001 played a similar role but where I believe Morro has the edge over Ian is in attack. Morro has proven very dynamic in attack whilst also being solid in defence.
Mark Riddell has been playing great football for a few seasons while Brad Drew proved to be a revelation in 2001. Riddell has the edge though with his diversity in the forwards. He can play both Hooker and second row if required.

The Bench
Once again I’m going to go with the 2005 bench as being superior.
PJ marsh and Dean Widders are causing all kinds of trouble for opposition teams. As PJ Marsh and David Solomona did in 2001. Widders though is a little less prone to error than Solo.

I don’t know how this season is going to end but one thing the 2001 side never had to deal with was pressure. That is right until the final game of the season and it was the one obstacle they couldn’t over come. Once that team clicked, a few games before the half way mark they destroyed almost every team they came across and never found themselves in a high-pressure situation.

This year’s team on the other hand has dealt with pressure before the season even kicked off. During the current win streak they have been put under plenty of pressure during their games and so far have dealt with it brilliantly. Does this mean they are ‘specials’ for a Grand Final win? No not at all, but one thing I do know if they lose during the finals it will be because their opposition was simply better on the day.

antonius

Coach
Lions Scores

Parra_panther
YES ONE OF THOSE “WHAT’S WRONG WITH PENRITH THIS YEAR” ARTICLES
745 words
Score 85

PK
No Hope
724 words
Score 84

RoosterboyWith ten to go.
750 words
Score 85

EA
Dave the Hotdog man
749 Words
Score 87

Electrica
Good Times for Eels fans.
738 Words
Score 84

Lions Total 425

Rhinos Scores

Mzilikazi
A Manly Man
745 Words.
Score 86

Mr Angry
Rugby Evolutions - The case for eleven
691 Words
Score 89

Hightown Tiger
Take the two
684 Words
Score 84

Not so Silent bob
Crowds
748 Words
Score 85
Rhinos Total 344

Lions 425 defeated Rhinos 344
MOTM. Mr Angry

roosterboy60

Juniors
Well done Lions, another good performence. We are playing very well, and we have another tough game next Round against the Bluebags.

To the Rhinos, if you could get 5 posts in, you would be very hard to beat. With Matt back, you should have a good last four rounds.

Thanks Tony for the Reffing.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Thanksyou linesmen thankyou ballboys.

Thanks to the Lions for the game.

Thanks to the referee for his time, and score. :)