What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Warriors

Life's Good

Coach
Sele was invisible unless you were looking at the bench because he never got off it :tired_face:
Samy mentioned Sele sat out training (or the Captains run). If that’s the case he should have been rested & Host elevated to the bench.
Not using our full bench + consistently putting up bombs to the wings were really poor tactics. The Warriors are a good side but we made our job harder as a result.

giboz71

First Grade
The last set when Green went to the bin, when they defended with 12 men. That was unbelievable, no team has done that to us.

They were clearly up for the game and their home crowd got them home.

We play that game at Kogarah and we win easy.

ozbuck

Juniors
Nene's drop ball (not the best pass though) would've been a certain try.

If lafai passes to Nene in that little break down the left side in the second half Nene would've been too big to stop.

If Graham doesn't touch that ball.and lafai scores that would've been MASSIVE. We already had momentum. But who knows, we could've dropped the ball off the kickoff.

But what we do know is that the warriors scored more points than us and they won. Next week roosters.

*Pssssttt* rugby league is just a game ;)

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The Warriors played exceptionally well.
However the Dragons were unimpressive apart from defence. Without the one out efforts of Hunt and Sims things would have been grim with no real spark in attack. De Belin and Frizell were quiet. We need more impact from the bench. Ah Mau and Mann hold their end up but Latimore was marginal and Sele seemed invisible.
The whole team seemed in panic mode. They expect to score a half-a-dozen tries and when they do not come they begin to panic.

Mary didn't give sele a run for some reason

giboz71

First Grade
Unlikely as it seems, we’re the benchmark of the comp right now and teams will be up when they play us. Warriors were fired up.

Won’t surprise me if the Roosters come out firing as well as they need to make a statement.

Massive danger game on Anzac Day.

Drag Queen

Bench
Yeap gastro.
So best to keep away.
Nene had it first
Yeap gastro.
So best to keep away.
Nene had it first
Not good, but that would explain why he was playing on the back foot last night. Not discounting the Warriors though. They had injuries with their key players. All clear for the Anzac match I'm guessing but it's a short turn around. Maybe McGregor is right on resting them for a day.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Given what we know from last night there should gave been some kate changes to the squad.
Aitken had a quiet game for example. Maybe the passing of his grandmother had a mental effect on his game. Given the circumstance it may have been prudent to start Mann at centre and promote Lomax to the bench.
Same applies to Nene. If he wasnt 100% why play him.
Sele same.
Given some other performances maybe the "bug" was more widespread than what was reported.
In the circumstances above we played pretty well against a team reeling from their loss last week.
Their "penalty" tactics were also well played, slowing down the play and ensuring a set line (which didnt happen against the Broncos).
Im also of the opinion that McGregor does trust or rate any of the ISP boys.
I'd rather be 6 and 1 than 1 and 6, but our bigger test is coming starting on Wed.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
One observation I did make last night was Widdop didnt draw and pass as he usually does quite often he gave his outside backs early ball without drawing the defence, they just slid on to the centre or winger whover was going to receive the pass giving them no room to move...the only time he did run to the line was when he was going to grubber and at times left it to late....secondly can someone give me the rule interpretation of the incident with the Lafai no try...i get Graham knocked the ball into the fullback but how many sets of hands or metres gained before the advantage rule is applied...they are as confusing as the obstruction rule imo

Drag Queen

Bench
Unlikely as it seems, we’re the benchmark of the comp right now and teams will be up when they play us. Warriors were fired up.

Won’t surprise me if the Roosters come out firing as well as they need to make a statement.

Massive danger game on Anzac Day.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Given what we know from last night there should gave been some kate changes to the squad.
Aitken had a quiet game for example. Maybe the passing of his grandmother had a mental effect on his game. Given the circumstance it may have been prudent to start Mann at centre and promote Lomax to the bench.
Same applies to Nene. If he wasnt 100% why play him.
Sele same.
Given some other performances maybe the "bug" was more widespread than what was reported.
In the circumstances above we played pretty well against a team reeling from their loss last week.
Their "penalty" tactics were also well played, slowing down the play and ensuring a set line (which didnt happen against the Broncos).
Im also of the opinion that McGregor does trust or rate any of the ISP boys.
I'd rather be 6 and 1 than 1 and 6, but our bigger test is coming starting on Wed.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I think St Jimmy hit the nail on the head when he stated that the competition has just begun before we played the Warriors. He got shot down by many on here.
One observation I did make last night was Widdop didnt draw and pass as he usually does quite often he gave his outside backs early ball without drawing the defence, they just slid on to the centre or winger whover was going to receive the pass giving them no room to move...the only time he did run to the line was when he was going to grubber and at times left it to late....secondly can someone give me the rule interpretation of the incident with the Lafai no try...i get Graham knocked the ball into the fullback but how many sets of hands or metres gained before the advantage rule is applied...they are as confusing as the obstruction rule imo
You're confused BSE. Join the bloody club.

getsmarty

Immortal
Kearney rates win over Dragons among best of career
Author
Jackson Thomas
Timestamp
Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:54 PM

He has won a World Cup with the Kiwis and enjoyed success at NRL level in Melbourne, but Warriors coach Stephen Kearney rates Friday's win over the Dragons as one of his finest moments.

St George Illawarra's unbeaten start to the Telstra Premiership was snapped 20-12 by the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland.

The Warriors were without star playmaker Shaun Johnson, centre Solomone Kata and lost key forward Tohu Harris to concussion in the first half.

The home team finished with just 38 per cent of possession, were on the wrong end of a 13-5 penalty count and had a player sin-binned.

All things considering, Kearney says the win is ''way up there'' in terms of his best moment at the helm.

''They showed a tremendous amount of courage tonight with all the adversity against a top of the table team,'' he said.

''The guys found a way to keep the side with the best attack in the competition out - with 12 men at one point - so I was just so proud of how they went about their work.

''We spoke last week about commitment and attitude needing to improve and I thought they did that tonight.

''Honestly this win is right up there for me, way up there. With the changes and a player in the bin and playing the best team in the competition ... I'm just really proud of the guys.''

harrist-ko-180420045.jpg

Warriors back-rower Tohu Harris reels out of the tackle that ended his night against the Dragons. :copyright:Shane Wenzlick/NRL Photos
It was clear when the final whistle blew how much the win meant to the Warriors.

Senior players Adam Blair, Isaac Luke and captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck were elated with the performance and took time to interact and celebrate with some of the 18,000-plus fans who braved chilly conditions to see the home team's sixth win in seven games.

''We are playing in front of our home crowed and we want to show them what we are about so that's what all that's about for us and why there was some extra emotion in getting a result like that,'' Kearney said.

The Warriors have a short five-day turnaround now as they prepare to face the Storm in Melbourne in Wednesday's annual ANZAC clash.

Kearney was unsure if Johnson would be fit for the match but was pleased with the performance of replacement halfback Mason Lino, who scored the opening try of the match and kicked three from four goals.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/20...eorge-illawarra-dragons-among-best-of-career/

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-180420039.jpg

DRAGONS

McGregor non-plussed with tactics used by Warriors
Author
Jackson Thomas
Timestamp
Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:35 PM

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has questioned the goal line tactics employed by the New Zealand Warriors during his side's first loss of the Telstra Premiership season.

The Warriors defeated the Dragons 20-12 in Auckland on Friday night, despite finishing on the wrong end of a 13-5 penalty count.

Many of the penalties conceded by the Warriors came while the now joint premiership leaders were defending their own line.

While admitting the Warriors were the better side on the night, McGregor said the constant "stop-start-nature" of the match hindered the Dragons' ability to play with any fluidity.

"They came here with a plan, they gave away a lot of penalties and defended their line really well, whether that was part of it or not I'm not sure," he said.

"Their line speed was incredible and their scramble defence was the best from any side I have seen this year. But it was frustrating because of the constant stop-start nature of that first period."

Asked directly if he thought the Warriors' willingness to concede penalties was deliberate, McGregor said "maybe".

Match Highlights: Warriors v Dragons - Round 7, 2018

"There were a lot of them around the same area of the field. But look, taking nothing away from the Warriors tonight they were very good," he said.

"There was a few blown. I suppose someone did go to the bin late in that second half."

Playmaker Blake Green was the player binned, just before the break.

Dragons' captain Gareth Widdop said the number of penalties limited his side's ability to play fast.

"It just slows us down a little bit you can't really get any momentum or quick play of the balls to play off the back of," he said.

"But I'm not going to use that as an excuse in the end, they just defended really well and we couldn't get across the try line that's what it came down to."

When asked if it was part of the game plan for his side, Warriors coach Stephen Kearney said "it's not on our tip sheet, no".

"We knew that we had to put pressure on the Dragons with our line speed and really go after them but it wasn't our intention to deliberately give penalties away. I can honestly say."

Both sides now face short turnarounds with their respective Anzac Day clashes next Wednesday.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/20...ons-tactics-employed-by-new-zealand-warriors/

SEAT 1A

Bench
The Warriors were without star playmaker Shaun Johnson, centre Solomone Kata and lost key forward Tohu Harris to concussion in the first half.

The home team finished with just 38 per cent of possession, were on the wrong end of a 13-5 penalty count and had a player sin-binned.

Warriors to good for us last night however, above not that flash.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Nene's drop ball (not the best pass though) would've been a certain try.

If lafai passes to Nene in that little break down the left side in the second half Nene would've been too big to stop.

If Graham doesn't touch that ball.and lafai scores that would've been MASSIVE. We already had momentum. But who knows, we could've dropped the ball off the kickoff.

But what we do know is that the warriors scored more points than us and they won. Next week roosters.

*Pssssttt* rugby league is just a game ;)
It's so much more than just a game ozbuck, what happens in a game on the weekend determines my mood all week and I can confidently say not much else can do that.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Wow! Just Wow!

According to NSWRL Live our JF/U20's losing/lost to the young Warriors.

The Wow! is:
11 tries and 9 conversions scored (that's 62 points between the 2 teams) in a 20 min period.

It maybe wrong but if not the standard at that level has really dropped off now its just state based.

MilanDragon

Juniors

I only just some highlights now.

I’m thinking with the Lafai no try, it was potentially no advantage to the warriors as it was a double knock on. Graham knocked on first into RTS who then knocks on into graham before the ball goes to warriors.

Bench
Have to applaud the tactics of the Warriors. That is what a good coach can do. We were shut out of the game and it showed that there is no plan b with our coach.
The power game was off the mark and Hunt Widdop and Dufty were well contained.