What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Warriors

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Not panic stations yet, the Roosters are ripe for the picking. A loss won't be good though.

Straight Shooter

At the same time, with the talent at its disposal it's only a matter of time before the Chooks improve.

Hopefully this doesn't start next Wednesday.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I will put the loss into context. We played very well, only to lose to a very good side, who played very well at home.

If Nene catches the ball, it could have been a different game. If the video ref decided that the Warriors had played their advantage when Lafai took the intercept, it could have been a different game. If we took our shots for penalty goal, it could have been a different game. If we had Lomax on the wing, instead of Nightingale, it could have been a different game. If Widdop didn't miss the one on one tackle early in the game, it could have been a different game. Dufty was tackled just as he as about to take Simms pass and dropped the ball, It could have easily been a penalty to us then, or even a sin bin.

We are playing very well this year.

'We' also played very initially in 2015 and 2017 before it all went to pot.

Your reply reaffirms 'if' as being the most powerful word in the English lexicon.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Funny, another forum I'm a part of had Titans fans dreading Rein now being their 80 minute hooker (which he only can manage through injury)

Even saw a one ask some Dragons fans if they can swap him for McImnes

Titans' coach, Garth Brennan, is slowly favouring Rein over Nathan Peats, a former NSW booking candidate.

BennyV

Referee
Only just got to watch the game. Objectively, an incredible game of footy. Very exciting, great arm wrestle and awesome moments.

Warriors found the blueprint to combatting us - fast line speed in defense, playing towards the edges in attack and exposing our slow ruck movements with quick play-the-balls. Our lack of 'wrestle' means that opposition gets to their front more often than not and once opposition recognises that, they will take advantage as Isaac Luke did tonight.

Me think that the team and Dufty have been reading his own press. He was very well nullified tonight.

Great game from Lafai, he looked dangerous often. Friz played in beast mode too. Our props didnt seem to have the impact that they usually do. Outside of 1 dropped ball Mann looked great - showed some great speed chasing that scrum kick and his direct running last in the first half was killer. And I'm liking McInnes' running game - he is making great metres but also seems to have the ability to bump off defenders and create something from there. His decision making in reference to when he runs is also top notch. Another step closer to a SOO jersey.

We had a lot going for us tonight - huge amount of possession and field position, warriors losing 3 usual starters, plus losing their best forward early in the game and then getting a man (deservedly) in the bin, we should have got on top.

6-1 is not a bad spot to be in, but it's scarily similar to our record this time last year...

Yeah maybe we are the only NRL team that play 16 regularly .....shades of years gone by ask Milne, Vavili and Mann to just name a few
Major concern for me was the fact that:
We had 59% possession
Won the penalty count 13 - 5 (saintly)
We only had 11 missed tackle vs. 30+ for the warriors
More offloads, ARM etc.
YET we still lost the game.
This was an underlying trend in 2016 and 2017.
We had enough possession to win 2 games yet we were unable to turn that domination into points.
The other mystery is the use of the bench - Sele didn't even get a run.
I sincerely hope we are not regurgitating last years tactics.

We had 59% possession
More offloads, ARM etc.
We had enough possession to win 2 games yet we were unable to turn that domination into points.

You can hope all you like, but I think we are.

Frank Facer

First Grade
'We' also played very initially in 2015 and 2017 before it all went to pot.

Your reply reaffirms 'if' as being the most powerful word in the English lexicon.
We are a different team to the ones of 2015 and 2017. We have a superior halfback. We have a superior forward pack. We have a superior fullback. Aitken is 3 years older than in 2015. McDonald's form on the left wing is superior to 2017. We have a superior hooker to 2015.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Only just got to watch the game. Objectively, an incredible game of footy. Very exciting, great arm wrestle and awesome moments.

Warriors found the blueprint to combatting us - fast line speed in defense, playing towards the edges in attack and exposing our slow ruck movements with quick play-the-balls. Our lack of 'wrestle' means that opposition gets to their front more often than not and once opposition recognises that, they will take advantage as Isaac Luke did tonight.

Me think that the team and Dufty have been reading his own press. He was very well nullified tonight.

Great game from Lafai, he looked dangerous often. Friz played in beast mode too. Our props didnt seem to have the impact that they usually do. Outside of 1 dropped ball Mann looked great - showed some great speed chasing that scrum kick and his direct running last in the first half was killer. And I'm liking McInnes' running game - he is making great metres but also seems to have the ability to bump off defenders and create something from there. His decision making in reference to when he runs is also top notch. Another step closer to a SOO jersey.

We had a lot going for us tonight - huge amount of possession and field position, warriors losing 3 usual starters, plus losing their best forward early in the game and then getting a man (deservedly) in the bin, we should have got on top.

6-1 is not a bad spot to be in, but it's scarily similar to our record this time last year...
It looks like the blueprint to combating us is to give away many penalties early in the game and then stand offside for the rest, like Warriors and Souths did.

We are a different team to the ones of 2015 and 2017. We have a superior halfback. We have a superior forward pack. We have a superior fullback. Aitken is 3 years older than in 2015. McDonald's form on the left wing is superior to 2017. We have a superior hooker to 2015.

Agreed, but we also have the same coaching staff

No clear plan B

No ability to adjust to negative goal line tactics of Warriors. No point Mary complaining about it.

They slowed the play done when we were trying to mount pressure. In contrast Luke had a free rein to run at will from dummy half as we were unable to dominate in the tackle.

We failed to turn the penalty count and volume of possession in to points.

For some reason we decided we no longer needed to kick penalty goals from easy positions.

Poor use of the bench and forward rotation continues.

As we play better teams with good coaches, Mary will prove to be a major liability the club cannot afford.

dannyt

Coach
We had 59% possession
More offloads, ARM etc.
Penalties were deliberately given away by the warriors on their line safe in the knowledge that 2 points would not be taken even at 4-0 down.

Possession difference just a direct reflection of penalties, as were missed tackles.

Should've taken penalties early so warriors less likely to employ such cynical tactics.

dannyt

Coach
Agreed, but we also have the same coaching staff

No clear plan B

No ability to adjust to negative goal line tactics of Warriors. No point Mary complaining about it.

They slowed the play done when we were trying to mount pressure. In contrast Luke had a free rein to run at will from dummy half as we were unable to dominate in the tackle.

We failed to turn the penalty count and volume of possession in to points.

For some reason we decided we no longer needed to kick penalty goals from easy positions.

Poor use of the bench and forward rotation continues.

As we play better teams with good coaches, Mary will prove to be a major liability the club cannot afford.
Agree.

Should've adapted bettet to warriors tactics.

Unfortunately, mary has never shown such capabilities and I can't see him developing these skills.

Hope I'm wrong.

I actually think that is even more reason to worry because we dominated the stats in a number of games last year (and 2016 and 2015) and regularly lost games nevertheless.
Now we have a gun halfback and a more accomplished hooker.
- I'm sorry but our pack is on par with 2017 not superior. Still great though.
We have developed more strike in our backline for sure BUT we STILL lost the game because the opposition deployed tactics to nullify our game plan and we were unable to respond..
Against a team without a number of key players to boot.
It is the worst way to lose a game - dominate possession and stats and fall short.
It sows the seed of doubt in players' minds.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Even though 2015 was only three-years ago, I'll have to do some research to refresh my memory as to who featured regularly in the forwards.

That said, besides the swap between Graham/Packer, the forward pack is identical.

Of course, halfback is one area where the position has improved immeasurably.

Aitken has improved (particularly in defence) but has a long way to go.

Will Dufty play for NSW and Australia? It's too early to say, Dugan has though. On that score, he is the superior fullback.

My views apropos the hooker are well known - I don't agree.

One area that hasn't changed is Paul McGregor.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Even though 2015 was only three-years ago, I'll have to do some research to refresh my memory as to who featured regularly in the forwards.

That said, besides the swap between Graham/Packer, the forward pack is identical.

Of course, halfback is one area where the position has improved immeasurably.

Aitken has improved (particularly in defence) but has a long way to go.

Will Dufty play for NSW and Australia? It's too early to say. Dugan has though. On that score, Dugan is the superior fullback.

My views apropos the hooker are well known - I don't agree.

One area that hasn't changed is Paul McGregor.
Dufty is a superior fullback to Dugan. Just because Dugan played fullback for NSW doesn't mean that he is a superior fullback. Pearce has played over 10 origin games for NSW and that doesn't mean that he is a superior halfback than Hunt who has only played one origin game off the bench. Right now NSW have Tom Trbojevic and Teddy way ahead of Dugan. If they were both available and seasoned when Dugan was being picked for NSW at fullback, then Dugan wouldn't have got a look in. Those 2 are also going to make Dufty's task of playing origin very difficult too. Dugan won't be playing fullback for NSW ever again.

Kurt Gidley played fullback for NSW too, Gidley even captained NSW. lol. If he had Teddy and Trbojevic playing when he was around, then Gidley wouldn't have got a look in either. NSW has also made many selection blunders over the last 37 years that origin has been played.

Latest posts