What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Warriors

SGMax

Juniors
"Shaun Johnson and Solomone Kata will miss the match against the Dragons through injury, with Mason Lino to start at halfback and Anthony Gelling in the centres"
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/19/nrl-late-mail-round-7---lodge-cleared-to-play/

Didn't realise Johnson had any issues.
Feeling more confident now.
A comfortable win may allow some players to be rested towards the end of the game.
Could help with the Anzac clash.
A loss due to complacency could be the start of a bad run.

Drag Queen

Bench
"Shaun Johnson and Solomone Kata will miss the match against the Dragons through injury, with Mason Lino to start at halfback and Anthony Gelling in the centres"
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/19/nrl-late-mail-round-7---lodge-cleared-to-play/

Didn't realise Johnson had any issues.
Feeling more confident now.
A comfortable win may allow some players to be rested towards the end of the game.
Could help with the Anzac clash.
A loss due to complacency could be the start of a bad run.
It was Mason Lino that scored most of the points in the Roosters annihilation mate.

SGMax

Juniors
My comment was that Johnson was out.
Not about the Roosters - Warriors clash, not really about Mason Lino except as a replacement.
It was about the current NZ test half that runs like the wind and has an amazing step.

From your reply, you would think Johnson was the backup half.
This is why you don't get along with so many on the forum.
Also, not your mate!

Drag Queen

Bench
My comment was that Johnson was out.
Not about the Roosters - Warriors clash, not really about Mason Lino except as a replacement.
It was about the current NZ test half that runs like the wind and has an amazing step.

From your reply, you would think Johnson was the backup half.
This is why you don't get along with so many on the forum.
Also, not your mate!
WTF Mason Lino was the replacement for Shaun Johnson against the Roosters. Johnson was out injured in that game too. Didn't mean to butt hurt you.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
A lot on here keep saying this.The rorters only beat us by one day so what is really the difference ?NZ is closer than Perth so don't give me the travel bit.
1 day can make all the difference for recovery time....just ask the players.....and sorry whats your point mentioning Perth....whos playing there......I fail to see where that enters the equation.....blind freddie could see thats its an advantage to play 2 games in Sydney with 1 day up your sleeve rather than travel to NZ and back.with 1 less day....we are not making excuses pre game just pointing out that the Roosters are in a better position than we are....anyhow your entitled to your opinion...I just dont happen to agree with your view this time

getsmarty

Immortal
Warriors more dangerous after perfect record ruined: Dragons coach McGregor

The Dragons won't travel back from Auckland to Sydney until Saturday and will be given a day off on Sunday before a further light recovery on Monday, leaving them a brisk Tuesday workout as the only time they will lace on the boots.

It will mean precious little time to iron out any kinks which may arise from against the Warriors, who will also feature on Anzac Day in their annual clash against the Storm in Melbourne.

The Roosters will have the benefit of an extra day's recovery in comparison to the Dragons and no travel burden given they were scheduled to take on the Bulldogs in Sydney on Thursday night.

St George Illawarra's sizzling opening six rounds has pushed them into premiership favouritism, but they will be well aware their season started in similar fashion last year.

Captain Gareth Widdop limped off with an injury and Mitchell Pearce broke his field goal curse on Anzac Day in 2017 as the Dragons eventually missed the finals.

And this year's Anzac Day assignment shapes as not much easier given the scheduling headache before the fixture temporarily shifts to the Sydney Cricket Ground from 2019, owing to the Allianz Stadium overhaul.

Having lost 13 of their last 14 clashes against the Dragons, the Warriors will be hoping to snap St George Illawarra's winning start to the year after coming off their first defeat of the season against the Broncos.

And halfback Shaun Johnson, who will line up against a rejuvenated Ben Hunt, wants some of the credit for the Warriors' fast start to be heaped back on their coach Stephen Kearney.

We have a couple of bad weeks and I guarantee 'Mooks' will be the one getting hit with it all

Shaun Johnson
"We can overlook the coach when we're going well," Johnson said this week. "We have a couple of bad weeks and I guarantee 'Mooks' will be the one getting hit with it all. A lot of credit has to go to him. As players we don't look any further than him. He's the full stop at the end of it all.

"Good or bad, win or lose he's always going to be there to take that. Communication stuff ... he's been working with the senior leadership group. [But] it's back to business and we don't like to get too ahead of ourselves when we win and same when we lose."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...e-before-anzac-day-clash-20180419-p4zaiy.html

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Rorters get 6 day turn around their forwards probably need 6 weeks
I fully expect the Dragons to win and win well. They are on a roll and seem to mostly perform well over the ditch in recent times. We will win up the middle. My tip is that Mann and Dufty carve them up in the latter part of each half. Our forwards will stretch them and ware them out in the early part of each half. Frizell and Sims will smash their halves sensless.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I full expect the Dragons to win and win well. They are on a roll and seem to mostly perform well over the ditch in recent times. We will win up the middle. My tip is that Mann and Dufty carve them up in the latter part of each half. Our forwards will stretch them and ware them out in the early part of each half. Frizell and Sims will smash their halves sensless.
You've got it all workrd out Poss....hope it comes to fruition mate....I will be very happy if your right

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Just hope that the refs keep close tabs on Cameron Blair , he can resort to some back-lane thuggery at times . Our pack of ' cleanskins ' won't know how to handle that . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I know what you mean regarding Blair he can be a cheap shot merchant when he wants to be....but rest assured after JDB bends him in half a few times and Mr Sims finishes him off he may well end up like his Titans mate Mr Hurrell....and we know what happened to him dont we

Dragsters

First Grade
Shaun Johnson out, Mason Lino in.

If anyone saw him play earlier this season they know how dangerous he is.

Really quick and a smart little player.

Graham needs to hammer him early me thinks...

SEAT 1A

Bench
The Dragons won't travel back from Auckland to Sydney until Saturday and will be given a day off on Sunday before a further light recovery on Monday, leaving them a brisk Tuesday workout as the only time they will lace on the boots.

Only something small however, giving the players a day off in NZ for whatever. Nice to see.

getsmarty

Immortal
Rd 7 NRL News Stats Breakdown: Warriors v Dragons
April 20, 2018 ricky Leave a comment
Tweet
63853174b1b656b0320f97b054065857

Former St George Illawarra Dragons half Jamie Soward
New Zealand Warriors v St George Illawarra Dragons

The New Zealand Warriors and St George Illawarra Dragons have played 28 games; the Warriors have won just five games, the Dragons have won 21 and there have been two draws.

The Warriors have won just one of the last thirteen games against the Dragons.

The Warriors have won just one game against the Dragons in Sydney.

The first clash between the two sides saw the Warriors win 32-18 in round 23 of the 1999 NRL season.

Biggest Wins

The St George Illawarra Dragons biggest win over the New Zealand Warriors was a 54-0 demolition on Saturday, May 6, 2000, in round 14.

The New Zealand Warriors biggest win over the St George Illawarra Dragons was a comfortable 34-6 win on Friday, March 9, 2001, in round 4.

Players sin-binned and/or sent off in this clash

1. Richard Villasanti (WAR) & Aaron Gorrell (SGI) in round 15, 2002.
  2. Matt Cooper (SGI) in round 7, 2011.
  3. Ben Matulino (WAR) in round 25, 2011.
Most prolific point-scorers in this clash

Jamie Soward (SGI) – 3 tries, 25 goals & 2 field goals (64 pts)
Gareth Widdop (SGI) – 1 try, 21 goals & 1 field goal (47 pts)
Matt Cooper (SGI) – 11 tries (44 pts)
Nathan Blacklock (SGI) – 10 tries & 1 goal (42 pts)
Shaun Johnson (WAR) – 2 tries & 12 goals (32 pts)
Jason Nightingale (SGI) – 7 tries (28 pts)
Amos Roberts (SGI) – 2 tries & 9 goals (26 pts)
Mark Riddell (SGI) – 1 try & 11 goals (26 pts)
Mark Gasnier (SGI) – 4 tries & 5 goals (26 pts)
Ivan Cleary (WAR) – 1 try & 10 goals (24 pts)
James Maloney (WAR) – 1 try & 10 goals (24 pts)
Brett Morris (SGI) – 5 tries (20 pts)
Stacey Jones (WAR) – 2 tries, 5 goals & 1 field goal (19 pts)
Michael Witt (WAR) – 9 goals (18 pts)
Simon Mannering (WAR) – 4 tries (16 pts)

http://www.nospam09.com/2018/04/20/...aland-warriors-v-st-george-illawarra-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
Only something small however, giving the players a day off in NZ for whatever. Nice to see.

Didn't Mary say they were going to be back in Sydney 11 am Saturday? Maybe I got it wrong. Hopefully the club has learnt from last year when we ran out of gas.