What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROUND 8: ROOSTERS V PENRITH

ozzie

Bench
Roosters V Penrith

Game Thread

Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles). Any other posts will result in loss of points.

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Full Time: Wednesday 13 August, 2003. 9:00PM AEST

Referree: Willow

ozzie

Bench
Roosters side in a game that will bee touggghhhh

Ozzie(c)
Morticia
BP
Pennelope
Lord Reynoldson

Big Mick

Referee
Panthers team to play in the game of the year:

1. big mick c
2. Brocky
3. theirry Henry
4. Paul-the-cowboy
5. JOBPS

6. Bedsy
7. Nibbletjones
8. maelgwnau
9. Justin

The Backpacker

Juniors
The Backpacker #11 for Easts. Taking the ball up from the kick off…

Life’s Injustices

The Haka is a common fixture in the International sporting arena today. Interpreted as a war dance, the Haka (Ha = breath, Ka = to ignite) is a way to “ignite the breath, energise the body and inspire the spirit”¹, to prepare the body, mind and soul for the upcoming battle. Many have had the prestigious honour of leading the Kiwis Haka but none more awe-inspiring and somewhat fearsome, than Tawera Nikau. ‘T’, in full cry, with his mullet flying, eyes bulging and tongue protruding, could make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end and this was before the ensuing battle had even begun. Unfortunately, due to a feud with Richie Blackmore stemming from a dispute between their wives, Nikau’s career with the Kiwis came to an abrupt end in 1997 after donning the black jersey on 19 occasions between 1989-97 and, apart from an impromptu Haka in the shed after Melbourne’s 1999 Grand Final win, we were only to see Nikau lead the Haka in the sporting arena again, during the World Cup (2000) as Captain of the Aotearoa Maori side.

Nikau came from humble beginnings, playing senior league in the Waikato and for Otahuhu before heading to York, Sheffield and then signing with Castleford. Earmarked early on as a player with talent and somewhat brutal in his attitude on the field, he was soon signed by Cronulla and then Melbourne before finishing his career at Warrington. The rumblings of problems with his manager, a harsh negotiator and sometimes demanding individual plagued his career but Nikau stood by his manager and attributes his success to her tough, no nonsense attitude. A hard-nosed negotiator in the boardroom, a loving wife and mother in the home, he once described her during a documentary. Nikau’s manager was his wife, Letitia. On the outside, a semblance of toughness, on the inside a somewhat different picture emerged, for Letitia Nikau was brought home, to be laid to rest with her Whanau after committing suicide in April 2001. The news rocked the League community as pictures of Tawera, flanked by his children Heaven-Leigh and Tyme-Kane, grieving by their wife and Mothers graveside, were beamed around the world.

While this tragedy would have broken the spirit of some Men, Nikau forged on, returning home at the end of 2001 and settling in his hometown of Huntly, a small town characterised by high unemployment, low education and income levels and a rising problem with the local youth brought about by the lack of opportunities available to them in the small community. Nikau set about forming a Youth Academy, a place where youth could be taught life skills and job training, he gives his time to many youth sporting events, has became a motivational speaker, completed a Diploma in Tertiary teaching and began studying towards a Bachelor of Education, coached league and opened a bakery in Huntly. He is also in the process of setting up a boxing academy in his hometown, a result of his involvement in the Yellow Ribbon ‘Fight for Life’ a charity for which he has recently become patron of².

Nikau had been recruited to fight one of AFL’s hard men in this year’s Trans-Tasman ‘Fight for Life’ after convincingly beating Peter Fatialofa in last year’s Union v League match ups for the charity, when he collided with an oncoming car riding his Harley on July 1st. Word filtered through that he had fractured his femur and wouldn’t be able to fight. Ensuing complications initiated by a blood clot meant that Nikau lost his leg below the knee on July 30th. Once again, the league community has been rocked and Nikau could be forgiven for lying down but, in an exclusive interview only 2 days later, he stated that he didn’t want sympathy, just some time with his family to get on with things and was already talking about competing at the Para Olympics once his prosthesis is fitted and his intensive therapy is complete. That fighting spirit, shown on the league field and following the loss of his wife is evident. He now has a personal Haka to perform, to prepare his mind, body and spirit for this new battle and there’s no doubting that Nikau will rise above this injustice with the same strong-willed determination that he has shown throughout his life. Kia Kaha Tawera.

729 words

References:
1)http://www.tu.co.nz/haka.htm
2)http://www.teamone.co.nz/scripts/07_Team_One_Facilitators.htm

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick #1 for the panthers, returning the kick from the first set to set up good field position.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Crowds go bad:

The issue of crowd behaviour is much-debated topic. In the best interests of league, the NRL wishes to hand the game back to its fans and attract families back to the games, but is this possible nowadays? The Answer…Yes.

During the past few seasons, it has been well publicised that crowd behaviour is somewhat out-of-control. Last season there were many public outcries with regards to abusive behaviour at games. On one occasion at a Bulldogs game there was evidence of abuse during the game, but what’s worse, after on public transport.

Abuse such as swearing, and other vulgar behaviour was demonstrated last year by teams “fans”, but what are they supporting? In my view, these people just go to games, start fights, drink and then think of the consequences later on. What’s worse, the NRL lets it happen.

Already this season, this type of vulgar behaviour has been displayed at the World Sevens. During the course of the competition, there was evidence of brawling, swearing and other activities that aren’t in the nature of the sport. On the first, there was a most prominent display of vulgar activity, between the Parramatta and Bulldogs Armies. This duel went on all day, to the extent that police had to set a human barrier to stop the two sides meeting, these fans may call it passion, but I call it stupidity.

On finals day, what was shown was one of the worst displays I have ever seen. In the Bays to my left, Bay’s 31-33, I could not go five minutes without a fight breaking out between rival fans and security being called to take action. It seemed that by the end of the day, I was not concentrating on the football, just having a bet with the guy behind me, as to when the next fight was to break out, is this what the NRL wants the game to be like?

That night, listening to talkback, the time was not dominated by the game, as it should have been, but by the crowd’s behaviour with one listener describing it “totally and utterly disgusting”. The one comment that stuck in my head from that day was the common response to the question posed by Ray Hadley “Do you feel safe at the footy and would you bring your family again?”, the common answer was “no”, what does this say about the NRL and how they are containing this very important issue.

There may have been many excuses for these activities, but the most prominent would have been excessive alcohol consumption. During the course of the competition there was an inestimatable amount of alcohol consumed. Alcohol in any one persons system affects their brain activities, thereby making it easier to react when something is said, and then react violently, whereas when not drinking they may react normally, not resorting to violence.

There is a simple solution to this problem of alcohol consumption, which is extreme, but would work. The NRL has allowed beer producers to hold stands at their grounds, to provide fans with beverages at an inflated price, but what the NRL has failed to do, is put in measures in place to say “hey you’ve had enough!”. My proposal would be to ban alcohol at all NRL fixtures. This action would bring back families, and remove the hooligans. Although footy is an traditional Aussie sport and a traditional Aussie like beer while watching sport, do it at home, not in public. If the NRL wishes to send out a promotion with fans getting drunk and passing that off as the type of people that support league, then be my guest, but I can guarantee the crowd numbers will just keep falling.

The vital issue of crowd behaviour is one the NRL doesn’t wish to tap on as it could put them at loss. If they ban alcohol then their funding from the alcohol producers erases, as do their drunken supporters. If they ban alcohol, however, it will attract families back to the footy, increasing crowds.

League is a family game, a place where you take your kids and watch a game of footy, it’s about time the NRL revived this. The pivotal decision lies with the NRL, but all I know is, that likely, nothing will be done about this issue, because it will help the NRL’s bottom line.

Is this what we really want our league to be? I’ll leave that choice up to you.

750 Words

Penelope Pittstop #1 Easts

The Ian Henderson Interview
League Unlimited

6th August, 03

You know that saying, “When my ship comes in I’ll be at the airport”. It seemed however, things were looking up, as Ian Henderson walked into the Bistro. As he eased into his chair, I grinned, “Brian", is there any truth in the rumor that you will be heading the news desk after the retirement of your elder namesake?”

“Deb”, he replied, “I’m a young man of many qualities. Those media graduates may want to look out. Because there is a gift to the Henderson name in the form of fame and fortune, I am yet to posses any of these qualities. …Or even complete reading a picture book. But nevertheless that namesake may just might bring me a little luck”.

Ian began his interrogation by telling me, “I have always been a dummyhalf/hooker. I’d always seem to go into to dummy for a run on the last tackle. So I didn’t really choose it, it is just what I've always played”.

DL: “Did you always want to play in the NRL when you were young?”

IH: “Yes, of course!” he said.

“I think it’s a dream of every child to play in the NRL. It’s not hard to get there either, you just have to want it bad enough.”

DL: “Who did you follow as a kid? Who were your heroes?”

IH:“I followed the Magpies, now West Tigers. I always had a thing for David 'cement' Gillespie. I looked up to him and also Paul Langmack. I think mainly because these were the players that my father liked. So, therefore I looked to them also.”

DL: “Where do you see yourself in two years?”

IH: “Well, as for footy, my goal is to be playing first grade hooker for the roosters. Hopefully I can get some experience this year and have a full time spot in 2004 or 2005.

“I aim also to be in the Australian team as well and if not, play for either Scotland or England in the world cup. I was born in England with a Scottish father which will allow me to do so. I’d like to be the best hooker in the games history, but don’t we all? Ha !”

DL: “Are stepping up this year or remaining in flegg?”

IH: “Now that flegg has changed to U19, and I am turning 20 this year, I’m unable to play flegg, as much as I would like to. So it’s 1st division for me, and hopefully even better things.”

DL: “What's the best thing about the Roosters as a club?”

IH: “I couldn’t name them all, it’s everything about the Roosters that make them the club that they are. They care for their players, their professionalism, the clubs respect for their fans, everything is spot on.”
He added, “This is why the club is so successful, but for me personally. It would have to be the friendships that I have made with the players, everyone has so much respect for each other.”

“It is a good feeling !”

DL: “Ian can you tell us a bit about yourself and how you first became interested in Football as a professional.”

IH: “I was born in England and moved to oz when I was five. I have two brothers and one sister. Both my brothers play football also, Kevin (22) for Balmain and Andrew (23) for Barrow Raiders in England.”

“As well as my footy I am currently studying at ACPE (Australian College of Physical Education), and I am in my second year out of three studying for a Bachelor of Teaching.”

“I like it there, I enjoy teaching PE. Well sport in general, it’s my life. I live in Terrigal on the Central Coast and travel down to training and Uni every day. Yes, I get sick of the travelling. I will be moving down at the end of the year.”

“As for professional football, this is my fifth year at the roosters. I have played football all my life, and I guess I became interested in going professional when I followed my brother Kevin’s footsteps. He had two years down there in the S.G.Ball, so when I was old enough I went down for an open trial, and fortunately got in.”

It is always refreshing to meet the younger players. Players with talent, dedication and the will to succeed. Dear Reader I hope you enjoyed this Interview as much as I.

Word Count: 748

JOBPS

Juniors
----------------------------------------------------------
Writing for Penrith Panthers at Number #5: JOBPS
----------------------------------------------------------

Changing Home

Moving home fixtures from ground to ground is something that the Australian NRL teams have become quite accustomed to. However, over here in Britain the Super League clubs have never quite caught on.

Wigan’s attendance has never really been anything like it used to be before they moved from Central Park to the JJB Stadium. So, why not move a game to Scotland or Wales? Last year’s Challenge Cup Final drew a massive crowd of over 62,000 fans with many Scots having their first taste of competitive Rugby League. And this years final in Cardiff nearly sold out the Millennium Stadium which has a capacity of over 70,000.

Surely moving one or two games into non-Super League areas would expand the game, and maybe allow professional teams to be created, or the Scottish national team to get as good as England and Wales.

Wales has now got its own amateur league, so any Super League games played in Cardiff would allow people to see Rugby League played at the highest level. Any Welsh fans that saw this would maybe want to take up the game (especially with the demise of rugby union) or start supporting one of the Super League teams who had been playing.

The London Broncos are the only team that ever seems to take games on the road. Last year they played Warrington in France (if memory serves) and rumour had it that plans were in place to again move one this seasons fixtures away from Griffin Park. Reading’s Madejski Stadium seemed the likely venue but with the provisional inclusion of UTC into the Super League the possibility arose that could have forced common sense to be used, meaning another game will be taken to the south of France. This is the RFL though, so I was expecting a game to be scheduled for the highlands of Scotland! As it turned out the game was in fact played as a main-headliner to one of the Welsh League games.

However, the idea of moving home games out of the heartlands would, for most clubs, almost certainly have fans objecting and complaining. Why should they fork out up to £160 on a season ticket and then also have to pay extra travel costs to get to see some of the games they have paid for?

What if the game ended up giving rugby league a bad name? Say we ended up playing a game in Dublin. Rugby fans being rugby fans would be odds on to go out and sample the local delights that pubs around the ground have to offer. A tad too much of the good stuff and what was a bit of pre-match banter turns into a full-scale riot between two sets of fans. The police get called in and the great game’s reputation is tarnished (I know the example I’ve given may seem a little heavy but some rivalries do get pretty intense).

Kids travelling to games could also become a problem. Normally they support their local team and can meet their friends and walk to the ground (in most cases). However, if the game was to move 50 miles along the motorway then how are they going to get to it? Unless the club put free transport on (unlikely) then the kids won’t be able to go and will end up getting annoyed with the club and then deciding not to bother going again. That would result in the club losing supporters who could have introduced future generations of fans to the sport.

I suppose in the end it’s up to the clubs to decide what to do. They may decide to listen to the fans and see what the majority wants. Deciding to move fixtures from your home ground to another ground could mean that you get new fans, and expand the game. Staying at your home ground may not get you a bigger fan base, or expand the game, but it certainly won’t result in you taking any backwards steps. From a personal point of view, I think we’ll end up doing it. After all, Australia does it and we usually end up copying them.

695 words.

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Paul-The-Cowboy, #4 Penrith Panthers.
(750 words including the title)

Super League Grand Final Night

The music starts off slowly, a quiet and calm piano playing slowly in the background. Gradually speed and tempo increase. With it tension and other instruments are added. It is no longer a calm tune and it is no longer in the background. The music has taken over the stadium, summarising the feeling of players and fans on a clear, chilly night in Manchester. The song is Bolero from the film Moulin Rouge and it will be the song I will always relate to Grand Final night. The song that was blasted around the stadium before and after the 2002 Grand Final between Bradford Bulls and St.Helens.
It was the song that will always remind me of the bravery, heartbreak, jubilee and passion on display that night. One player represented all those emotions. The bravery of young Paul Wellens putting his body on the line to gather the ball with men thundering towards him. The heartbreak of his face being smashed as a result. And the passion. It brought tears to my eyes seeing him on the big screen in the dressing sheds, distraught, crying, inconsolable. A young man alone, whilst his mates battled for victory. His Grand Final was over after only a couple of minutes and he knew that he wouldn’t be playing any part in the test matches against the touring New Zealand side.
That could’ve been any of those 34 players that night. Every single one of them put their bodies on the line. Every single one of them gave it their absolute all. That’s why I love rugby league and Grand Final night. Even though we’ve only had this Australian concept for a few years, it is without a doubt one of the greatest changes Super League has made.
Players work their blood to water to reach “The Theatre Of Dreams”, they’ll take to the field in pain just to be a part of the biggest night in the Super League calendar. Our attempt to copy the Australians’ State of Origin may have been somewhat of a failure but there is no doubt that the play off system has worked a treat. Every single year the title is decided on the last day of the season, there is no longer a chance of a team winning the title with a handful of rounds remaining. It’s also seen the league develop into at least a six horse race. This year there are ten out of twelve teams that have a reasonable chance of making the play offs. It has been such a success that the rugby union’s top flight has adapted the idea.
It all comes down to one night. Who’s got the bottle? Who’s got the guts? Which coach can prepare their team better? Which team will peak at the right time of the season? Which team will get the tactics right on the night? There is so much work and commitment needed to take home the trophy. Any team out of the six has a great chance of making it there and winning it.
It’s so exciting and what makes it great is what a positive impact it has had on the game. The standard of rugby league in the final is second to none and no matter what sport they follow, people cannot help but be impressed by a packed Old Trafford buzzing with atmosphere and tension as two teams display the high standard of strength, speed and endurance which our sport is famous for. Not just that though but a unique drama. Wigan edging out Leeds 10-4 in 1998, St.Helens winning an action packed game 8-6 thanks to a Kevin Iro try in 1999, St.Helens beating Wigan in a derby thriller in 2000 and most recently St.Helens beating reigning champions Bradford thanks to a Sean long drop goal with just 49 second left on the clock. This came after a Saints comeback and numerous missed drop goal attempts from both sides with the scores locked at 18-18. With the exception of Bradford’s awesome display to dominate Wigan in the 2001 final, every game has been unbelievably tense and dramatic.
The English Super League season is rather like Bolero. It starts off slowly and relatively calm, blending into the background of the sports world. But as the season moves on the tempo and intensity increases. By October, the season comes to a fitting end with fireworks, drama and tension. Identical to Bolero, the closing song of Moulin Rouge.

OldTrafford_005703.jpg

...Morticia...

Juniors
for easts

Agony and Ecstasy

One of sports fundamental principles, is that the competition should be fair and without discrimination, a concept embodying the highest of ideals. In short, drugs, privilege or position should not be a determining factor in success.

Last week, Rugby League Week published its annual players poll. Among the customary list of questions was the one of whether players believed there were still drugs, including recreational ones, being used by players. Incredibly, 24 players said no. Its feasible that one or two players could have led sheltered lives but 24 seems ludicrous. I’m not questioning the candour or veracity of the players answers but with recreational drugs commonplace in society, a community as large as professional rugby league won’t be immune to its infiltration.

The rugby league rumour mill is perpetually fizzing just below the surface with claims from people who know of players who take drugs in their own time. I’d rather leave the rumour mongering of whose taking drugs to those who find satisfaction in conjecture and concentrate on whether there’s a necessity to actually test players for some stimulants. Not wanting to appear to be advocating recreational drug use, the bottom line is consumption is a personal choice and rationally, are recreational drugs in direct conflict to those aforementioned fundamental principles?

There are the aspects of legality and negative publicity for the game but the perception that our sporting hero’s should walk a higher moral ground than many of us is interesting.

If these men test positive for recreational drugs listed on the prohibited stimulants list, we ban them from playing league for a specific period. We rationalise these bans with didactic ramblings about negative role models and making examples of them in the name of deterrence. Yet the same persecution isn’t shown to what many in our society, namely our young, would consider role models. Musicians and movie stars aren’t banned from performing when identified as being a consumer of an illicit stimulant and most of you from the older age group probably yourself enjoyed songs by The Beatles or The Doors that were written and often performed while under the influence of any number of drugs. Has it been detrimental to the sum total of your life? Logic would say not.

The argument, that many of these recreational drugs can be beneficial to the player on the field, is negligible.

Take cocaine for example. Studies are yet to provide evidence that it is a performance enhancer and have shown that most of its effects on energy metabolism are negative. It decreases endurance, increases glycogen (essential for energy) depletion and elevates fatty acid and plasma lactate levels, all of which are injurious to the player’s performance when their greatest levels of exertion need to be enduring. Ecstasy is another popular drug of choice and any player taking it runs the gauntlet of testing positive for methamphetamine or any number of derivatives. Like cocaine however, it does not provide extra physical or mental energy and is more likely to be detrimental to the player’s health than enhance their performance.

Farcically, the legal prohibited stimulant and one consumed by a good number of us on a daily basis, caffeine, appears to provide the most benefit in performance enhancement. Increased energy levels, however, are gained at much lower levels (2-3mcg/mL) than the level at which it is banned (12mcg/mL). Could this be a direct result of the fact that caffeine is an accepted stimulant in our culture, one thats a foundation in many social relationships and banning it at the level at which performance enhancement is obtained would incur an outcry that human rights were being breeched?

One could argue that these same rights were being breeched every time a player is tested.

Some have the agony of up to a two-hour wait for their dehydrated bodies to produce a sample and all have to void in the drug control officers direct view and its not a case of standing at a urinal with polite indifference. Whilst this sampling method appears somewhat antiquated in today’s society, it’s the most cost effective method of testing and honest players want those gaining an advantage through performance enhancing drugs such as anabolic agents and diuretics identified but is it really necessary to keep tabs on and punish a players recreational activity? The answer to this question will no doubt reflect the differing dichotomies of our beliefs and is guaranteed to cause emotive argument. One I’ll keep a wide berth of.

750 words

refs
RLW, July 30, 2003
ASDA - http://www.asda.org.au/
Aust Prescr, 2000, 23(4): 76-8
Baillieres Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2000, 14(1): 79-88

Genghis Chan

Juniors
Roosters number 5
Lord Reynoldson
-----------------------------------
Salary Cap Penalties – Are they harsh enough?

NO.

I can do nothing but applaud commissioner Jim Hall in regards to cracking down on dangerous tackles. Deterring players from dangerous play is a must. However, deterring clubs from breaching the salary cap is still lacking. The punishments for clubs breaking the cap is no-where near severe enough.

Around this time last year the Bulldogs took possibly the greatest fall from grace in Rugby League history. They went from runaway competition favourites to disgraced wooden spooner’s. After losing 37 competition points and being fined $500,000 the Bulldogs players and fans were left shattered while the Bulldogs board were left disgraced.

The club got off lightly.

Lightly? Yes, that’s right. Extremely lightly. Although the NRL had the power to fine them only $500,000 for a salary cap breach, the breaches extended back from the 2000 and 2001 seasons. The Bulldogs should consider themselves lucky not to have received 3 separate fines. One for the minor (minor compared to the extravagance of the 2001 and 2002 breaches) breach of 2000 (about $250,000). A second for the massive breach of 2001 (approximately $500,000) which should have cost them the maximum $500,000. The third, for the 2002 breach they did receive. It shouldn’t have stopped there either.

Despite still paying their players well over the salary cap for the 2002 season, they only had 37 competition points taken from them yet were allowed to continue to earn more points. That effectively could have painted the NRL into a corner. To think that every single club is under the salary cap is to be naive. If the scandal had of been exposed earlier in the season and the same verdicts given out - $500,000 fine and loss of all competition points up until the date of the trial – the club could still have played out the season earning enough points to possibly make the finals. If another club were to be caught for similar breaches early on, they would have every right to claim that they deserve the same treatment as the Bulldogs. That could leave them with enough time to make the finals and buy a premiership.

The restriction of the fines available to be handed out should be changed to not just 100% of the breach by the club, but to the extent of 150 to 200% that of the breach from the club and the loss of any points gained, or points that would have been gained during that season. Should it stop there? Of course not. They should also be fined competition points from the next season. Something like 2 points for every $50,000 that they were over the cap would be sufficient if it went along with all the other punishments to deter clubs.

Now on to the Sydney Roosters. They won last years competition, but did so while being over the salary cap. Is this fair to the rest of the competition? No. Perhaps a re-look over the rules is what is needed first, so that they are black and white, with no indiscretion available. Then it would be up to the onus of the club officials to ensure that they stay within the salary cap or risk being stripped off all current and future competition points for that season while facing the possibility of losing points in the next season. Regardless of the severity of the breach.

Apparently, it is okay to cheat by around $90,000 and win the competition, but not by around about $750,000. What is the difference? The NRL is allowing teams to break the cap and play on into the finals on some occasions but not on others. The only difference should be the cost of the fine, while losing all points being the constant for all salary cap breaches.

No matter what the size, a breach is a breach and they should all be treated the same way to truly enforce the salary cap. With clear rules there should be no excuse for breaking the cap and any breach should result in severe punishment. If those breaches were to be discovered at the end of the season, then the NRL should promptly strip a club of a premiership if they have won it with an illegal team. Illegal by $750,000 or by $75,000, that should not matter. Clear rules with the severest punishments are what is needed to really enforce the salary cap. Now that should deter clubs from rorting the system.
----------------------------------------------------------------

747 words between lines
*Figures for the Bulldogs breaches were taken from the Sydney Morning Herald, Monday 19th of August

Anonymous

Juniors
Thierry Henry- Panthers

White Flight

Vaealiki, Meli, Toopi, Vagana, Utai, Talau, Jones, Rauhihi, Swain, Wiki, Puletua, Kearney, Swann, SeuSeu, Betham, Galuvao, Guttenbeil. The New Zealand test 17 for the recent test against Australia. What’s notable about that team?

Richard Swain is the only white man. The only Anglo-Saxon. The solitary Pakeha. There are 10 Samoans, 5 Maori, and 1 Tongan. And consider this- there are no white New Zealanders in the entire New Zealand Warriors squad. Where did all the white guys go? And almost as importantly, does it matter?

The issue of declining Pakeha participation in New Zealand sport isn’t new - it has been greatly discussed in relation to rugby union. It is a phenomenon that doesn’t correlate at all to population figures- 80% of New Zealanders are still of European ancestry. What are perhaps more relevant are Auckland statistics, as most New Zealand rugby league players are from Auckland. 14.9% of Aucklanders are Pacific Islanders, compared to a national average of 6.6%- but they are still very much a minority, while the Maori population in Auckland of 11.5% is below the national average.

Clearly, the ethnic make-up of top New Zealand rugby league is far removed from the ethnic make-up of New Zealand- and the story is much the same at lower levels. It would be no great revelation to admit that young white New Zealanders (or their parents) are choosing “safer” options than league or union for a winter sport- usually soccer, New Zealand’s most played winter code in junior grades. The controversial question is- why? It is a fact that on the whole Polynesians mature earlier than their European counterparts, and therefore have a distinct, often overwhelming physical advantage. Obviously, a number of prospective white rugby league players leave the game at a young age and never return.

Is it necessary to do something about the dwindling numbers of European children playing rugby league? There is a vaguely comparable situation in New Zealand schools, where it is no secret that Pacific Island and Maori students, on average, do not achieve marks as high as European children. Scholarships are in place specifically for Maori and Pacific Island students, and it is an official government objective to “Close the Gaps” between students of different races. Surely then, it could not be considered racist to attempt to “close the gaps” in rugby league. Yet this raises another, even more contentious point- are Polynesian’s simply better equipped physically to play rugby league? It would be considered scandalous to make a similar remark in relation to Europeans and scholastic success, but this particular point seems to have some justification. There is no doubt that there are physical differences between races- it would be ridiculous to claim that the fact that the NBA has been dominated by black players for decades, is just random chance. By the same token, Polynesians are the largest race in the world, and this is certainly helpful in rugby league.

Much harder to prove is that Polynesians genuinely have an inimitable “flair”. Many would suggest that the Warriors swept to the 2002 NRL grand final on the back of an ad lib style of play, while the so-called “flair players” were complemented by a no-nonsense pair of Australians in Kevin Campion and Ivan Cleary. Just as Polynesians supposedly have this intuitive flair, they also apparently have faults. Matthew Ridge famously claimed in 1998 that his Polynesian teammates at the Warriors were explosive, but lacked stamina. Although this particular comment is an unfair generalisation, it seems unreasonable that similar comments go unchecked if they project more positive traits onto Polynesian footballers.

There is no question that brown faces dominate New Zealand rugby league. The question is why, and what should be done about it. Reasons regarding the supposed physiology or mentality of Polynesians are plentiful, and hard to conclusively prove either way- each individual must come to their own conclusions depending on what they see. Racially motivated measures such as those used in the New Zealand education system would not be appropriate, and would be unfortunately reminiscent of the quota system recently used in selecting South African cricket and rugby teams. Every player should have to come through the system on his own merits. If Polynesians really do play the game differently (and, dare I say, better) than Europeans in New Zealand, then they provide a point of difference, which can only be a good thing. As long as Sione Faumuina keeps throwing overhead passes, I won’t be complaining.

749 words

Statistics from NZ Census 2001- www.statisticsnz.govt.nz

Nevcost

Juniors
*Brocky* *Number 2* *Penrith Panthers*

Broncos 2004

With the Broncos losing a Ben Ikin, Scott Price, Phil Lee and Andrew Gee next year plus gaining Motu Tony from the Warriors what should the team look like. Well here’s my opinion

Backs
Well Fullback should be automatically given to Darren Lockyer as he is the Australian and Queensland number has been for numerous years. On the Wings I believe Stu Kelly has got one position sewn up and is a great attacking weapon and can surprisingly be a great defender despite his size, whilst the other spot will be a battle between Scott Minto and Craig Frawley, however Minto should get the spot as he has shown himself to be great in attack, even though his defence has been a bit woeful this year, it is something he can learn to improve. Michael Devere will get one spot because he is a great asset to the Broncos, through his hard work and dedication plus the fact he is their fulltime goal kicker. Australian test flyer Brent Tate should get the other spot, has become, a more attacking player then what he was at the start of his career, Tate can also defend really well and has been consistant.

Halves
With Ben Ikin retiring and Scott Prince leaving next year to join the Tigers, it is going to be interesting to see who will get the Five-Eight role. I believe that Brett Seymour should get the first crack at the number 6 jersey as he is a genuine playmaker and a rising star in the making that I believe will be ready next season. At Halfback I would have Shaun Berrigan there, he may not be your classic halfback, but he is a great attacker of the line and seems to have a great short kicking game and a great no frills defender too.

Forwards
One of the premiere Front Rowers in the comp Shane Webcke’s records speak for them self, he is a hard worker who may not do anything flash but he gets the hard done and constantly leads the tackle count. The other spot in the Front row should go to Petero Civoniceva, Petero is one in the hardest players the NRL to tackle and makes so many busts up the line, and subsequently has been reworded for these efforts by being a Queensland regular. I believe that it is time Casey McGuire’s time shine, at hooker for the Broncos, I see him playing a similar sort of role there as PJ Marsh does for the Warriors in getting away a quick play the ball and good dummy half and tough defence. In the second row Gorden Tallis will most definatley get a spot, as he’s is a Australian vice captain, Queensland and Broncos captain. Has plenty of experience to lead the Broncos and had some real good charging runs, which make it impossible for him to contain. The other spot in the Second should be given to Carl Webb who I see as the future Gorden Tallis, he can make some damaging runs to gain a few metres, but hasn’t really established himself yet due to injury. In look I would have Dane Carlaw who has firmly established him self as player at the Broncos and indeed Queensland like so many others in his team, seems to have great pace for such a big player.

Reserves
I believe Corey Parker is a certainty for one spot on the bench as he has been one of the big improvers over the past few years for the Broncos, has been great in defence since he started but now has become a far more damaging player how can give the Broncos those all important metres up the field. I may have overlooked Tonie Carroll, due to the emergence of many great youngsters by the Broncos but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player. He can cover a wide variety of positions but at the same inject a bit of mongrel into what some believe as a soft pack. Neale Wyatt is a youngster I believe should be given a go this year off the bench, he is great defender and player who I believe will be a bit like, Peter Ryan. Finally I reckon that new boy Motu Tony should get the final spot on the bench, as he has shown himself to be a great impact player and the fact that he can cover a few different spots in the lineup.

747 words from the title onwards

ozzie

Bench
WHO WOULD YOU HAVE KICKING FOR YOUR LIFE??

The world of Rugby league has seen some wonderful goal kickers in the past years. And the latest star goal kicker is Hazem El Masri.

This weekend he lines up the posts in an endeavour to create a new goal kicking record, which will be hard to beat in the oncoming years. Thirty goals in a row by Daryl Halligan set in 1998 was a record I never thought that I would see broken in my life time but here we are just a short 5 years later sweating off on a kick that could bust Halligan's record.

But the question remains is El Masri he the best goal kicker I have ever seen? I would say no. I would plump for Eric Simms. Different ages and balls now only make this question one that can debated at the bar with no result.

Simm’s record speaks for itself. In 1966 he first came to notice of football followers playing in a South Sydney first grade side that finished 6th, in the era of the top four team qualifying for the semi finals. However, little did people know that the young player from La Perouse Juniors would create all sorts of goal kicking records and be the catalyst for the changing of the rules of a field goal, making it worth 1 point instead of 2.

With the emergence of Simms as a record maker and breaker, South’s fortunes rose and led by a great pack of forwards, (one would say the best pack of forwards the game has seen) they went onto win 4 of the next 5 premierships.

Simms freak goal kicking was not restricted by distance, as he was renown for punishing teams who gave away penalties on South’s side of half way.

In 1968 he was selected to play for Australia in the World Cup and set a points average of 12.5 as a record. In this point scoring it included 25 goals in the 4 games he played. An average of 6 goals per game. One game still sticks in my craw and that was in this year in the last premiership match of the year. The Roosters were his victim that day and I still recall the Roosters leading the star studded South’s side for most of the game. The winner’s of this match was going to be minor premiers and the losers 4th. However a late try 5 metres in from touch, which tied the game at 22 all, was duly converted by Simms and they had won a hard match 24-22 to finish the season as minor Premiers.

His kicking ability wasn’t restricted to goal kicking but he was also a freak drop kicker of goals. In 1969 he shattered the points scoring record, which had been held by Dave Brown for 34 years. He scored 265 points including one try – 112 goals and 19 field goals a wonderful effort.

Penrith was one team that felt the full brunt of his goal kicking in that year as he set a drop field goal record against them at Penrith Park on July 27th 1969. Not only did he kick 5 field goals but he contributed 6 place kicked goals as well. That made a total of 22 points out of the 40 South’s ran up that day.

In 1970 he kicked four field goals and another 3 goals from place kicks as the South’s team ran rough shod over Manly in the grand final 24-12. Besides being picked for Australia for the last time. It also saw the decline for Simms and his score making afterwards never match that of the previous years.

He left South’s to try his hand at Country football and finished at Crookwell for a spell and from there he finally retirement. A legend of goal kicking had left the room (So to speak).

Now to Hazem El Masri. Nothing can be taken from his wonderful efforts in the past few years. El Masari is a great goal kicker and a wonderful ambassador for the people from his ethnic background. His efforts are a reward for the long hours he has spent refining the art of his trade. A good if not great goal kicker but as I stated before – was he better than Simm’s? In the future we will probably hail him as the best but still I would have Simm’s kicking for my life.

But that’s my opinion!

Big Mick

Referee
good luck to both teams, it was a good game.

I'm thinking this one will be lose or not, we'll see.

Good luck and great going to everyone whom participated.

ozzie

Bench
Just made the same statement in the Roosters forum..well done penrith a pleasure playing you

Anonymous

Juniors
Sorry guys, I have started it.
Both sides have delivered some very high quality and I must say, quite 'exotic' bribes. :p
All of which makes the final decision very diificult. Backpacker still has one more instalment to go into my Sicilian trust account and I promise once that's done, a decision will be made... some time tonight.

The Backpacker

Juniors
Damn those off shore bankers. Have they not transferred the donation? Bugger it all. I do think your getting greedy though. I'll be handing over RG, PP and the infamous and somewhat personal favourite, Prisilla and you still want more?

Latest posts