What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Broncos

mxlegend99

Referee
Hearing Griffin will be sacked within a fortnight.
Toovey has already been sounded out.
I wish. Toovey would rip our players to shreds after that effort. Players would be petrified to suck that bad again.

Griffin looks the same if we win by 50 or lose by 50.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'd take Toovey in a heart beat.

I think this season had shown that Mansour is our MVP. Watching Moylan and Hiku make five metres and get pushed back when Josh would have made fifteen and got a penalty puts me in a state of despair.
Mansour has bad hands at times. But he always tries to comtest a kick. Even a knock on is better than watching a player catch it uncontested and stroll over untouched.

Royce is King

Juniors
I have been reading comments on here the last 2- 3 weeks without responding....thought i may as well say my 2 cents worth. The one thing is we all love the Panthers and everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

I think it was my last post that I said Griffin's stance on dropping those 3 players was the right one and i still think it was, but something is not right. I was at the game last night and really we were not in the game at all despite what our coach said after the game.

Forget the result.... I think the most important statements were made after the game by the 2 coaches.
Griffin said ' We can take something out of our second half for next week'
Bennett said ' Its not hard to put some points on when the game is gone"

To me Bennett nailed it and Griffin is clutching.... he said the same thing after the Parra game and look how we were blown off the park last night. The players have to take a massive amount of the blame but you cant sack 15 players...THE COACH is not getting any response from this playing group and THE COACH will keep picking a 2nd rower at 5/8 for e.g. and wonder why the results are not changing.

Im not a NRL coach, but every footy fan last night that i spoke too ( fans of both teams) were of the opinion that Griffin is not the answer and i have to say I agree. Griffin might be a good bloke but he should be moved on... its not working ,and the way he digs his heels in over team selections (e.g. Moylan not to 6) should have his fate sealed.

Pomoz

Bench
I have been reading comments on here the last 2- 3 weeks without responding....thought i may as well say my 2 cents worth. The one thing is we all love the Panthers and everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

I think it was my last post that I said Griffin's stance on dropping those 3 players was the right one and i still think it was, but something is not right. I was at the game last night and really we were not in the game at all despite what our coach said after the game.

Forget the result.... I think the most important statements were made after the game by the 2 coaches.
Griffin said ' We can take something out of our second half for next week'
Bennett said ' Its not hard to put some points on when the game is gone"

To me Bennett nailed it and Griffin is clutching.... he said the same thing after the Parra game and look how we were blown off the park last night. The players have to take a massive amount of the blame but you cant sack 15 players...THE COACH is not getting any response from this playing group and THE COACH will keep picking a 2nd rower at 5/8 for e.g. and wonder why the results are not changing.

Im not a NRL coach, but every footy fan last night that i spoke too ( fans of both teams) were of the opinion that Griffin is not the answer and i have to say I agree. Griffin might be a good bloke but he should be moved on... its not working ,and the way he digs his heels in over team selections (e.g. Moylan not to 6) should have his fate sealed.
Well Cartwright playing at six has only happened twice. Incidentally we have scored more points with him there and he is not the reason we lost, but I take your point. Hiku, Whare, Peachey and Blake is probably a better illustration of a coach just moving players and getting a worse result than the centre pairing we had at the end of last year. If it ain't broke and all that. It must absolutely bug Blake that he was moved considering how well he played at the end of last year. Stuff like that will damage morale.

Further coaching confusion surrounds our playmakers. We are clearly better with Carty at six than TMM at six because he gets out of the way of Moylan. When TMM plays we just went from side to side. Im not blaming TMM, he wants to be a playmaker and I think Moylan and he just got in each others way. I don't understand why he couldn't see that and either drop Moylan (whose form deserved it at the time) or move TMM to the bench as a replacement hooker. Cartwright is just caught in the middle of this indecision and it does him no favours having him at 5/8th after a long injury. We then get to the most talked about point of all. Why haven't we at least tried Moylan at six? Talk about the bleeding obvious.

Also, we desperately need a hard head in the side. A deadset raging mongrel. We are too soft and because we are stacked full of newbies our heads drop when we get a setback. I think the youngsters can get confidence and grow out of that habit, but the team hasn't got time to wait. JFH offers some mongrel but we need more. Somebody who will fire up the forwards, MG style. Yesterday was a perfect example of that. We had the Broncos pinned down. They get a ridiculous penalty, our heads drop and then after 10 minutes of defending they score as soon as they get down our end.

On a positive note, as somebody has mentioned, our juniors keep rolling on with another win. We are so close to building a dynasty, you can smell it. We just have to take that next step. Is Hook the man for that? On the balance of probabilities, no.

The yak

Juniors
What a pea hearted effort last night. Griffin deserves some of the blame, team selection, game plan ( if they follow it) fitness. But I must say I thought the effort last night from the players was piss weak. (I am not defending Griffin)
Yes Griffin is responsible for preparing the players and getting the best out of them but seriously? most of them didn't even bother to try last night and that hurts. Yes yes Griffin needs to inspire them and hold their hands, but I am sure all week the coach, the coaching staff tried to get the boys fired up with our season on the line, but the players couldn't be bothered to apply themselves in the first half.
Our season was on the line last night! They didn't try.

The kahu try was a disgrace. Not one player bothered as kahu strode through. I don't blame Griffin for that. Thats a rookie error and shear laziness. These players would know that they just couldn't be bothered.
Last night was like the Sharks game and most of our season. When thing don't go their way and its to hard. Give up.
Sure Griffin deserves a heap of the blame. (I am not defending Griffin) But the players lack of determination and effort is clearly evident, aided by off field egotisms.
I believe griffin has lost the dressing room, but If a new coach comes in right now I can't see much change this year.
The playing group is toxic.
(Footnote. I know there are some Griffin haters on here I am not defending him but purely pointing out the player group deserve some of the blame. Griffin will get the sack most likely but that won't fix all our problems)

Last edited:

Royce is King

Juniors
Yak ..... I think you have nailed it... looks like the coach has lost the room. The thing that makes this squad our plan A B and C is that most of this team is tied up long term.... so its a no brainer ...The players dont look like they are going anywhere so if the coach cant get the results.... GET SOMEBODY THAT CAN.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Yak ..... I think you have nailed it... looks like the coach has lost the room. The thing that makes this squad our plan A B and C is that most of this team is tied up long term.... so its a no brainer ...The players dont look like they are going anywhere so if the coach cant get the results.... GET SOMEBODY THAT CAN.

Thats the problem with tying up your playing group long term Panthers supporters. Players get comfortable and lazy. It also becomes hard to make changes. The amount of players that come to life when their contract expires is mind blowing. Look at Widdop this year. Trex was famous for it. Now he is irrelevant.
You did the right thing tying up Cleary jnr long term but I would have made others eg Trent Merrin wait just a little longer. You may save a few $$ getting in early but look at the position you are in now.

pandas

Juniors
If it's true that the coach has lost the support of the team maybe the players know all they have to do is lose a couple more games and Griffin will be gone. Wouldn't surprise me if that sort of thing played a role in what happened at the Tigers this year.

TheFrog

Coach
If it's true that the coach has lost the support of the team maybe the players know all they have to do is lose a couple more games and Griffin will be gone. Wouldn't surprise me if that sort of thing played a role in what happened at the Tigers this year.
It's a balancing act then. There comes a time very soon where we are no chance at all of making the 8. No point at all replacing the coach then.

betcats

Referee
We have scored two points in the last 3 first halves, we are literally beaten at halftime more often than not, we are last for completions, missed tackles and penalties. We can't even defend a scrum, we are no chance of making the 8. The season is over.

lynx000

Juniors
It's a balancing act then. There comes a time very soon where we are no chance at all of making the 8. No point at all replacing the coach then.

Commiserations on the team's predicament. Having gone through the same thing with Hook (in fact I had a bad case of deja vu reading some of the threads on here) I think he has to be cut loose.

Re your post Frog, two schools of thought there, either way the present season is a write off, but a change prior to the end of the season, provided that Gus has already done the hard work and identified the permanent coach, allows the new coach to:-
(a) get his feet under the desk;
(b) get a feel for the playing group;
(c) let the playing group get familiar with him;
(d) to experiment with the playing group and trying players in other positions; and
(e) allow the coach an early opportunity to identify where changes need to be made and the plans put in place for the off-season,
all while under no pressure because this season is already gone. So I would say that there is more in favour of making an early call and appointing the new coach this season.

mxlegend99

Referee
How about to get better prepared for 2018? This season is a write off now. We might aswell look toward next year.

It makes no sense at all to wait until seasons end to make changes. The earlier they happen. The sooner you can begin to improve.

But nah why would we want to fix things now? Everything is fine. Lets just keep losing each week and do nothing.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have supported this club since arriving in Penrith in 1970. I have followed them thru thick and thin, mostly thin for the most part and rarely if ever have I missed a game either watching them at the ground or when away and I can't make it on TV.

Virtually for the first time in 45 years of supporting our club I chose not to watch the game live. I knew what the outcome was going to be and I couldn't bear to watch. I am so glad I didn't.

After so much optimism leading into 2017 I am gutted with what has eventuated. Not so much the results but more the ineptitude of our performances, lack of fitness. lack of heart, lack of structure well just about lack of everything really.

I don't know what the problem is given we have, or at least thought we had, a pretty decent roster.

I have pretty much given up on this season and that is a tough thing to say given the ups and downs of the past 45 years.

Copperhead

Juniors
After so much optimism leading into 2017 I am gutted with what has eventuated. Not so much the results but more the ineptitude of our performances, lack of fitness. lack of heart, lack of structure well just about lack of everything really.

We had hopes a new training regime would be the answer (one of them at least), but there's no doubt they look underdone.
It was a curious decision to bring in Tony Guilfoyle, since Griffin had previously sacked him at the Broncos when they appeared unfit and were being manhandled by the opposition. Looks to be on the same track here.
Another poor recruitment to add to an ever growing list of players , staff and administrators.

Latest posts