What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Cowboys

Agreed on both points. My concern is DWZ loses control, even momentarily, and we're further f**ked for 10 minutes.
If he could replicate JFH's control, then thats 1 of his deficiencies gone. Just need to get him running decent lines of Maloney and Cleary and we might get away with him at FB.
Not sure he'll ever be anything other than a wing/centre covering at FB though.
One thing Maloney and DWZ did well was the high kicks towards the middle. Not many will be able to out jump Dallin. We should definitely stick with that

Abacus

Juniors
Someone should say something whether the coach or a senior player like Wallace.
Hopefully tonight was his lesson. He shouldn't need to be told after being binned. Proof is in the pudding. Question is can he control it similar to JFH?

Abacus

Juniors
One thing Maloney and DWZ did well was the high kicks towards the middle. Not many will be able to out jump Dallin. We should definitely stick with that
He can definitely jump. If the halves play to his strengths, no doubt he'll have his moments.

He can definitely jump. If the halves play to his strengths, no doubt he'll have his moments.
Runs straighter in the backline moves than Edwards too. So while he isn't some great ballplayer he will get our centres 1 on 1 and thats all Blake needs

franklin2323

Immortal
Gee just once it would be good to end the game with the same 17 that were named. Lack of combinations are starting to become a problem.

From Merrin getting hurt in warm ups. Dallen being dumped his head to Feldt's open handed strike not getting punished where DWZ's did.... Just no luck really. Given the 17 we have need most things to go our way to win

OldPanther

Coach
That shouldn’t have even been a Sin Bin, it wasn’t a punch, he was trying to push felt off him. Ridiculous

I thought he was gone as soon as I saw it. The only thing wrong is the Cows players should have been gone as well. Dumb that Dallin can be attacked while apologising for taking Cootes legs which started it all for no consequences. Players will know they can start any trouble they want.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Couple of Thoughts:

The Cowboys were very good in the 1st half, their defence was outstanding. Our forwards couldn’t get on top and the Halves had no room to move. Full credit to the Cowboys, they were straight up better in the 1st.

We were much better in the 2nd half, lead by JFH and RCG. Dominated in attack and defence.

- We need to sign another Middle. If Hook isn’t going to use the likes of Kade or Jack, we need someone else. Especially with Mez missing for a while.

-Dallin didn’t deserve to go to the bin, that wasn’t a punch.

-I thought our wingers were quite good, Tyrone Phillips was pretty solid on debut.

-Yeo, was once again great. Hopefully he’s not injured.

-I love Wal, but Katoa needs to play twice as many minutes. He looks dangerous every time he scoots.

Congrats to Wal on his 1st career double.

Win some, lose some. That’s rugby league.

martielang

Bench
Yep that’s what I don’t get. Dallin was in the process of quite clearly apologising & then has someone trying to start a fight with him. Without Feldt that whole situation finishes within a second.

Disappointing with the end result but if anything that game proved we’ll be there when the whips are cracking. We had every reason to roll over & lose by 40+ last night after the start, instead we fought our way back & could of won. There’s not another team in the comp that has the self belief & determination we do. The injuries we have at the moment are ridiculous but every player that gets an opportunity steps up & looks like a veteran.

Can understand the concerns over DWZ but he also showed glimpses of what he’s capable of back there. I think he’ll come good, unfortunately he has some brain explosions in him, he just needs sometime to settle.

OldPanther

Coach
Couple of Thoughts:

The Cowboys were very good in the 1st half, their defence was outstanding. Our forwards couldn’t get on top and the Halves had no room to move. Full credit to the Cowboys, they were straight up better in the 1st.

We were much better in the 2nd half, lead by JFH and RCG. Dominated in attack and defence.

- We need to sign another Middle. If Hook isn’t going to use the likes of Kade or Jack, we need someone else. Especially with Mez missing for a while.

-Dallin didn’t deserve to go to the bin, that wasn’t a punch.

-I thought our wingers were quite good, Tyrone Phillips was pretty solid on debut.

-Yeo, was once again great. Hopefully he’s not injured.

-I love Wal, but Katoa needs to play twice as many minutes. He looks dangerous every time he scoots.

Congrats to Wal on his 1st career double.

Win some, lose some. That’s rugby league.

Well said.

Really strange with the forwards seeing as Hetherington looked good when he was on and so did Ellis the other week.

On DWZ it sure looks like a punch. Even bigger point is how majestic Peachy is:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Well said.

Really strange with the forwards seeing as Hetherington looked good when he was on and so did Ellis the other week.

On DWZ it sure looks like a punch. Even bigger point is how majestic Peachy is:

Look at the other angle, it’s not a clenched fist, he’s trying to shove him.

martielang

Bench
I don’t think we need another forward, it’s not uncommon for Hook or any coach, to not use the 4th benchie & Hetherington still got 20 odd minutes. He wanted to keep Tamou & co out there for as long as possible & they got us back into the game.

In saying that, Hetherington is going to be some player. Was the pick of the bunch IMO of the young forwards coming through TC/ISP & nothing has changed my opinion.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I don’t think we need another forward, it’s not uncommon for Hook or any coach, to not use the 4th benchie & Hetherington still got 20 odd minutes. He wanted to keep Tamou & co out there for as long as possible & they got us back into the game.

In saying that, Hetherington is going to be some player. Was the pick of the bunch IMO of the young forwards coming through TC/ISP & nothing has changed my opinion.

If Merrin had of played, I’m confident that all 4 bench players would have been used. Which to me, says that Hook opted for longer minutes than he was originally planning.
Having said that, I think Kade is a beast and more than capable of playing.

hindy111

Post Whore
Good game.

I mentioned on here when let Bryce go it will harden up the team and guys will go forward more. I felt once got within 4 points use started going sideways again to early.

JFH is one of the best forward in the comp at present. Kikau,Yeo have gone up a few levels as well. Once all fit its a great pack. Need to lose games as can learn from them.
I thought DWZ played well. Ran the ball back hard. Stopped a few tries with one on one tackles. Phillips looked solid and did a job amd some other young fprward maybe on debut played strong.

Once Cleary and Mansour are back it changes the team along with Blake. I personally dont think use will miss Edwards that much. Id give DWZ a few games at fullback, Isnt he only 3 or 4 games into his season?

1 Dwz
2 Mansour
3 Blake
4 Whare
5 Crighton
6 Maloney
7 Cleary
8 Merrin
9 Wallace
10 RCG
11Yeo
12 Kikau
13 JFH

14 Peachey
15 CHN
16 Tamou
17 Leota

Katoa,May may force Wallace out. Option to put Peach back in centres and Whare on wing.

OldPanther

Coach

We had 2 bench spots, Hetherington in the low minute position which is fine as he works up to first grade.

Ellis was also on the bench and wasn't used.

Having two low minute bench spots puts a lot of pressure on the pack and it showed.

We had 2 bench spots, Hetherington in the low minute position which is fine as he works up to first grade.

Ellis was also on the bench and wasn't used.

Having two low minute bench spots puts a lot of pressure on the pack and it showed.
Our pack finished well on top at the end so I think Griffin got it right. The issue was Maloney giving the Cows 12 points head start all by himself