What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 V Melbourne

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Coach McGregor feeling no pressure
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Sun 6 May 2018, 06:38 PM

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is adamant his team won't fade away after a strong start to the season as they have done in previous years as they continue to build momentum with Sunday's 34-14 win over the Melbourne Storm.

St George Illawarra's 8-1 start to the season has put no pressure on the competition favourites as McGregor says external expectations are the least of their worries.

"We talked about expectation, but it's expectation from not within. We've got appreciation about what we're doing at the moment," McGregor said.

"Everyone else outside obviously is looking towards expectation of the game, we're looking to run out in front of 19,000 people who appreciate what we're building.

"But we can't be complacent with what we do."

Dragons press conference: Round 9, 2018

McGregor said there was plenty of belief at the club but no signs of complacency.

"We got a lot of belief and our attitude is really good so it's just about maintaining that and not being complacent," he said.

"There is no sign of that in the shed at all, that's the beautiful thing about the squad.

"Even players we've had in the past, there are no egos here we are just working hard as one and we know that it can get taken away pretty quickly."

While admitting his team gave the Storm too many opportunity through poor ball control, McGregor was pleased with his side's defence against a side that have averaged more than 40 points a game in the previous three weeks.

"The boys have been working hard on what we need to improve each week and holding themselves accountable," he said.

"We turned the ball over too many times when we probably didn't need to in early tackles, which probably swung the momentum at times.

"Defensively our middles were outstanding and our left edge were very good so to get the result is nice."

Sims building to his best

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/06/coach-mcgregor-feeling-no-pressure/

Zucchini

Juniors
Did anyone else cotton on to the fact we played the last 3-4 minutes (after JDB went off) with 12 men. It seems our coaching/management team (lead by McDickhead) couldn’t organise the interchange to last the 80 minutes....

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Origin hopefuls shine for Dragons, Storm as referees get slammed for ‘shocker’
NRL Premiership
john_dean.jpg

NjUyMDE4MTJ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMTE4ODBjYmNmNjZlNGVmMDg0Nzc0YjRmNzMyNWIxMDd8NjUyMDE4MTI=

Euan Aitken starred for the Dragons against the Storm.Source: AAP
A HOST of Origin hopefuls have shone at Kogarah Oval on Sunday afternoon as St George Illawarra cemented their spot on top of the NRL ladder with a comprehensive 34-14 win over Melbourne.

In front of 19,173 fans, Euan Aitken further staked his claim for a NSW jumper scoring a double for the Dragons, while Cameron McInnes stayed in the race for the hooking duties with a smart try of his own.

Ben Hunt backed up his impressive Anzac Day performance with another quality game and appears almost certain to grab the Queensland No.7 jumper.

Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr was exceptional in a beaten side, scoring a hat-trick to go with 169 run metres and a whopping six linebreaks.

He could’ve had four tries, if one of his efforts wasn’t called back midway through the first half after the play was called back because of a Dragons ruck infringement.

It was a huge call in the context of the game with the Dragons up 10-4 with Storm holding a lot of the momentum.

“It’s a diabolical call, it’s one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen in a game, it’s shocking,” ex-NRL player Braith Anasta told The Sunday Ticket.

“At the end of the day, the penalty is given, not for an incorrect play-the-ball — (Sam) Kasiano gets to his feet, touches the ball with his foot — the penalty was given for McInnes crowding him at the ruck.

“They didn’t blow the penalty straight away, they blew it after the play unfolded and Addo-Carr scored a try in the left-hand corner.

“It wasn’t like they blew the whistle and the defence of the Dragons heard the whistle and stopped and didn’t react.

“Everyone was playing that play, it should’ve been play advantage and it’s just common sense.

“The referees these days are getting too technical. They don’t have a feel or momentum of a game, they’ve got to use their common sense these days.

“It was a disadvantage at the play-the-ball for Melbourne and it was a disadvantage because they scored a try and now it changes the whole game.

“It’s a huge call, it was a shocker, an absolute shocker.”

NjUyMDE4MTJ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDUvMDYvNjc4MzM3XzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODA1MDYxODIyMTMuanBnfDY1MjAxODEy

Dragons too hot for Storm

2:55
When asked post-match about the decision, Storm skipper Cameron Smith was perplexed.

“They said there was a penalty by the defence as the play-the-ball happened and they needed to make a decision there,” Smith said.

“I see penalties all the time that have to be given to an attacking team and they let the play roll on.

“It was a strange one. It was a really really strange one today.”

Both Storm mentor Craig Bellamy and Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the referees got it right by the letter of the law.

NjUyMDE4MTJ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDUvMDYvNjc4MzQ2XzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODA1MDYxOTEyMTUuanBnfDY1MjAxODEy

Cam Smith cops low blow

0:28
“It was a ruck penalty and they had to bring it back to the mark,” McGregor said.

“I was thankful they did bring it back to the mark.”

The first points of the game came from a Gareth Widdop penalty goal in eighth minute, and the Dragons added to their tally moments later when Aikten had reached over for a try.

When Will Chambers was pinged for an off-side intercept in the 15th minute, Widdop made the scoreline 10-0.

NjUyMDE4MTJ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvODk1MmU2MTY1ZjY2MTc3Y2ViZGI5MGQyMTU5NGQ4ZjF8NjUyMDE4MTI=

Dragons supporters cheer at Kogarah. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
The Storm got their way back into the contest off the back of a penalty when Addo-Carr crossed in the corner.

The visitors appeared to have gone in for their second in the 30th minute only to have the play called back after the controversial refereeing decision.

They continued to pile on the pressure late in the half and but were again denied when Cameron Munster was penalised for a double movement.

Another Widdop penalty goal shortly before the break made it 12-4 at halftime.

The Dragons got off to a perfect start in the second half when McInnes parted the Storm defence and dived over.

They were on the scoreboard again six minutes later when a clever play between Widdop and Tariq Sims put Lafai in the corner to make it 24-4.

But the Storm refused to go away and a beautiful cut-out pass from Munster put Addo-Carr in for his second.

Another barnstorming Dragons try from Aitken made it 32-8.

Addo-Carr made it three five minutes from full-time, before Widdop slotted his ninth goal of the day to end the game.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA 34 (E Aitken 2 T Lafai C McInnes tries G Widdop 9 goals) bt MELBOURNE 14 (J Addo-Carr 3 tries C Smith goal) at UOW Jubilee Oval. Referee: Matt Cecchin, Chris Butler. Crowd: 19,173.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/153a82d0477225bf16a5c72a00e3a016

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons edge clear of Warriors atop NRL ladder after big win over Storm
1525589596183.jpg

MARL KOLBE/GETTY IMAGES
Euan Aitken of the Dragons scores one of his two tries against the Storm at UOW Jubilee Oval.

St George Illawarra confirmed their status as NRL premiership favourites after a Euan Aitken double fired them to a 34-14 win over Melbourne on Sunday.

It saw the Dragons inch clear of the New Zealand Warriors for a two-point lead atop a crowded ladder, with Penrith lying third ahead of the Storm. The defending champions hold fourth on points differential in a group of teams on 10.

The Dragons racked up their eighth win in the opening nine rounds, with Sunday's victory perhaps their most impressive against the premiers in front of 19,173 fans at Sydney's Jubilee Oval.

1525589596183.jpg

MARK KOLBE/GETTY IMAGES
James Graham of the Dragons is tackled by Cameron Smith and Felise Kaufusi of the Storm during the round nine NRL match.

The Dragons scored four tries to Melbourne's three, Gareth Widdop's radar boot - he kicked nine from nine - blowing out the margin.

1525589596183.jpg

MARK KOLBE/GETTY IMAGES
Storm captain Cameron Smith makes his point to referee Matt Cecchin.

Aitken continued his compelling push for a New South Wales call-up after powering over Cameron Munster for the opening try before his four-pointer in the 65th minute killed off any hope of a Storm comeback.

What was supposed to be the game of the year at times became stilted following a series of bizarre refereeing decisions.

In one incident head referee Matt Cecchin ruled a knock-on against Dragons winger Nene MacDonald 20m out from his own line only for assistant whistleblower Chris Butler to over-rule and give the home side the play-the- ball.

The Storm's frustrations were compounded when Josh-Addo-Carr was denied a try in head-scratching circumstances.

The star Melbourne winger crossed for what appeared to be his double, only for the play to be called back because of a penalty against the Dragons in the play-the-ball.

Storm skipper Cameron Smith queried why play wasn't allowed to go on while league great Braith Anasta called it "diabolical" and "one of the worst calls I've ever seen in a game" on the Fox League broadcast.

To rub salt into the Storm's wounds, another Widdop penalty gave the Dragons a 12-4 advantage at the break and they took the match by the scruff of the neck from there.

Just after halftime Smith was hit in the groin in the play-the-ball, opening up a gap in the Storm defensive line to allow Cameron McInnes to dive over.

And when Tim Lafai produced a spectacular put down in the left corner in the 47th minutes, the Dragons were suddenly up 24-4.

Addo-Carr eventually got his second - his fourth two-try haul in as many games - to give the Storm a sniff at 24-8 with 16 minutes remaining.

But Aitken's second put the nail in the Storm's coffin with Addo-Carr's hat-trick try with five minutes remaining providing little consolation.

- AAP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...credentials-with-big-win-over-melbourne-storm

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons show NRL bona fides with Storm win
6:33 PM AEST
  • AAP

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith has pointed the finger at the NRL referees for a string of controversial incidents in their 34-14 defeat at the hands of St George Illawarra on Sunday.

The Dragons confirmed their status as the NRL premiership favourites as they maintained their footing at the top of the ladder with an impressive win over the premiers in front of 19,173 fans at Jubilee Oval.

While coach Craig Bellamy admitted his side had bigger problems than the referees and never claimed the Storm were robbed of the chance to win the contest, they were still left scratching their heads.

With the Dragons up 10-4 heading into the break, Josh Addo-Carr was denied in strange circumstances.

The star Melbourne winger crossed for what appeared to be his double, only for the play to be called back because of a penalty against the Dragons in the play-the-ball.

League great Braith Anasta called it "diabolical" and "one of the worst calls I've ever seen in a game" on the Fox League broadcast while Smith queried why play wasn't allowed to go on.

"They said there was a penalty by the defence as the play-the-ball happened and they needed to make a decision there," Smtih said.

"I see penalties all the time that have to be given to an attacking team and they let the play roll on.

"It was a strange one. It was a really really strange one today."

Both Storm mentor Craig Bellamy and Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the referees got it right by the letter of the law.

"It was a ruck penalty and they had to bring it back to the mark," McGregor said.

"I was thankful they did bring it back to the mark."

To rub salt into the Storm's wounds, another Widdop penalty gave the Dragons a 12-4 advantage at the break and from there the home side took the match by the scruff of the neck.

The Dragons extended their lead in controversial circumstances when Cameron McInnes dived over in the 42nd minute.

Smith went down clutching at his groin after it appeared he was hit by Jeremy Latimore in the play-the-ball with McInnes diving through the hole left by the Storm skipper.

Asked if he'd been intentionally hit, Smith said: "Well I thought I was in a position in the tackle where I can't really get caught up in any stray elbows and knee."

Pressed on whether being hit cost his side a try, Smith said: "I can't ever remember falling off a tackle in that position that close to the tryline. Don't think I ever have in my entire career."

And when Tim Lafai produced a spectacular put down in the left corner in the 47th minute, the Dragons were up 24-4 and the Storm's coffin had been nailed shut.

Euan Aitken - who once again made a compelling case for a NSW call-up - got his double in the 65th to seal the result.

http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/...agons-show-nrl-bona-fides-melbourne-storm-win

Frank Facer

First Grade
We're usually on the same page Frank, but I fundamentally disagree with you on dropping Aitken.

The kid is in Origin contention... And you want to drop him to reggies? He is playing unbelievable football right now and is continuing to go from strength to strength. Not to mention pulling Inglis' pants down was one of the greatest things i've ever seen from a Dragons centre.
He's virtually unstoppable 10 out from the line and i've seen a massive improvement in his defensive issues from last year.

Sure, the pass in his game is something that he needs to work on, but is it really that much of an issue when he's taking the line on as successfully as he has been? You have to remember he's only 22 and if he's got THIS much improvement in him from last year, I can only see him kicking on to be a very good player for us.
I wouldn't be dropping Aitken to the reggies. I would have him in our 17, but on the bench. Aitken has now had 3 and half years in first grade to learn to set his winger up and he still hasn't learnt. I noticed this in his first season. I actually noticed it when he was still playing in the 20's.

I wouldn't be dropping Aitken to the reggies. I would have him in our 17, but on the bench. Aitken has now had 3 and half years in first grade to learn to set his winger up and he still hasn't learnt. I noticed this in his first season. I actually noticed it when he was still playing in the 20's.

Yep, drop the player that just scored two great tries.

jak

Bench
speaking of Aitkens, for all you older guys I thought I was watching bob fulton with his second try.

kit66

Bench
Btw, those muppets on fox sports are biased clowns and very hard to listen to

Anasta always tries to ingratiate himself with the big names of the game, rubbing their dicks every chance he gets. The way he went on about that dodgy no try yesterday was ridiculous, he's worse than Gus, worse than anybody and do you get the feeling he doesn't like Saints much. Fox is a terrible place to watch footy.

kit66

Bench
My takeaways from todays game
  1. After 8 years my dog has finally learnt the difference between my yells of frustration and my yells of joy and sat with me for the entire game instead of cowering behind the lounge with his paws over his ears.
  2. We were aggressive for the entire game and targeted their key players, then belted them and increased their workload by not letting up on them and then belted them some more.
  3. Smith and Slater looked busted after point 2 and in fact for the first time started to show real signs of wear and tear & not being able to cope with the special attention.
  4. Lots of forward passes missed by the refs so that was not good but other than the prolonged Smith carry on the refs did allow us to play on relatively quickly and increase the tempo.
  5. Teams with older players will struggle with the increased pace of the game and our fitness team are to be commended on the condition of our players as we are getting the better of everyone and at the same time conceding very few penalties for the same offences they do (offside mainly)
  6. The calmness of our team and the self belief they played with was very high and it really rattled the Storm.
  7. Lots of good things to see today but we must pay special attention to the obvious defensive issues that see us getting beaten by the same plays down the same side.
  8. Shame Robson wasn't afforded more time I just hope they play him again next week and give him a run before half time.
  9. I will sleep well tonight and will look forward to slow mowing some of the big plays when I watch the replay in the next few days.
  10. Well done to the team, coach and support staff very enjoyable afternoon.

11. The better team won.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Nightingale is the only change i'd make. I know he's reliable, but as Melbourne proved last year.. You need more than just reliable wingers if you want to win a comp.

Also, if you get a chance to see how good Lomax is under the high ball, those opposing Nighty's relegation will probably think twice. He's a freak.

And lomax is fresh he hasn't played any grade for 3 weeks.
So agree give him a run.

kit66

Bench
Aitken was fitted for a Blues jumper after the game.

The kid has certainly impressed a lot of people and if he gets a Blue jersey good luck to him but I would be seriously worried about his weaknesses being exploited by the Maroons. Risky choice imo but on the flipside maybe a different coach can help iron out his deficiencies.
As for his replacement during Origin, did anyone see Herbet's efforts in Reserves yesterday, layed on 3 tries, 2 with superb passes and one with a great kick and made breaks, defended stoutly and got a try of his own. Very impressive, although it was on the left rather than the right. I guess they give Mann or Lomax that job.

Is Lomax getting any game time in Reserves, if not he should before Origin to get some match fitness.

Belta

Juniors
Really McInnes and Simms should be strong contender’s for SOO. If JFB isn’t in the 17, then you can stick SOO where the sun don’t shine

BennyV

Referee
The kid has certainly impressed a lot of people and if he gets a Blue jersey good luck to him but I would be seriously worried about his weaknesses being exploited by the Maroons. Risky choice imo but on the flipside maybe a different coach can help iron out his deficiencies.
As for his replacement during Origin, did anyone see Herbet's efforts in Reserves yesterday, layed on 3 tries, 2 with superb passes and one with a great kick and made breaks, defended stoutly and got a try of his own. Very impressive, although it was on the left rather than the right. I guess they give Mann or Lomax that job.

Is Lomax getting any game time in Reserves, if not he should before Origin to get some match fitness.
I'd say Mann will be first in line to cover in the backline, then Lomax. But Herbert did his chances no harm with a killer display. I actually hope he keeps that #1 jersey the rest of the year - I've all but given up on Jai Field, I just dont think he's got it, certainly not as a fullback.

Lomax hasnt had any game time in the last 3 weeks. Definitely needs to get a run.