What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Cowboys - Game Day Thread

Forty20

First Grade
Morgan is a strong ball runner with some play making ... but he's not able to control a game ... similar style of player to blake austin

Difference is that Blake Austin is much more decisive when he wants to run. Forcing the defence to make a decision early can be just as effective as executing a great play-making option. Merkins panic when they are rushed to make decisions.

Austin is also an absolute demon when it comes to backing up in support.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Being reasonably pedantic but he was too old for 20s when he moved to Penrith.

He was the NSW Cup five-eighth of the year though so the point is much the same....
He played in the halves in 2014 but after that he backed up Moylan at fullback.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gee, our attacking would be bloody good with Moses. Still a lot of pressure on Norman.

Hope he can get that release!!

Happy MEel

First Grade
Actually he missed a few tackles tonight.
He did. I'm surprised by the 9 figure on nrl stats because it seemed like his defence was better than that. I've had a few beers though so perhaps I was delirious with joy over a near 80 minute performance that I glossed over the missed tackles.

Bazal

Post Whore
Is his defence reallh any worse than Takairangi though?

I didn't pass judgement either way tbh, just making a comment about his defence in general.

But for the sake of discussion, I think Taka is a worse defender but offers more in attack than Auva'a

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Difference is that Blake Austin is much more decisive when he wants to run. Forcing the defence to make a decision early can be just as effective as executing a great play-making option. Merkins panic when they are rushed to make decisions.

If he was a QLD'er Austin probably already has a few games there!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd suggest he meant solid, taking a back seat to the other playmakers and doing his job without f**king up, but you'd argue the point anyway
He appeared to be in the team for nothing but his defence. I suppose his support play was a factor as well.

Bazal

Post Whore

At his best Morgan does that too tbh. But he is in struggle town

He did. I'm surprised by the 9 figure on nrl stats because it seemed like his defence was better than that. I've had a few beers though so perhaps I was delirious with joy over a near 80 minute performance that I glossed over the missed tackles.
I wonder how many he missed after the head clash.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Also Cowboys may have Thurston / Coote / Granville out but we also have our first choice hooker/fullback out too.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Five from nine and six of those games were played away.
...with roadtrips to Canberra, NZ, Townsville and the Goldie included in those 9 games. I'd say we're sitting pretty well on the ladder considering we only have 4 more games away from ANZ (of which one is our home game in Darwin).

I like Austin but my impression is that Morgan is a superior player, probably even more so in defence. He's just been in bad form for a good while. I'd be curious to see their stats comparison up to Morgan's injury last year.

Chipmunk

Coach
I didn't pass judgement either way tbh, just making a comment about his defence in general.

But for the sake of discussion, I think Taka is a worse defender but offers more in attack than Auva'a

I think they're two different attacking players and RVarR offers more in our half and power plays, which we're probably going to need more if Semi isn't around.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh, you mean 5 runs for 58m, 4 tackle breaks, and 1 try. He also made some crucial one on one tackles, although he still missed a few.

Most importantly, our attack wasn't devoid on his side like it was each time Kelly took the field.
Probably because we had all the ball. Our right side attack made plenty of metres but nothing was created on that side. I rate Will Smith as an attacking player but tonight it looked like Kelly without the kicking game.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think they're two different attacking players and RVarR offers more in our half and power plays, which we're probably going to need more if Semi isn't around.

Possibly. Although Taka is no slouch with go forward either.

He's certainly more creative and more likely to generate a line break or a try than Auva'a....it's not a bad problem to have I suppose.

Latest posts