What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Cowboys - Game Day Thread

I think he'll be fine in the centres, but maybe it's something he's been working on. He's smart enough to know when to get in there and when to stay out. Justin Hodges was probably the greatest player out of dummy half in the last decade. It obviously didn't effect him playig in the centres.
I dunno how often you can get a centre to do that though. But it was great to see some punch out of dh, like Granville provided for the Cows when he was in good form.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah but that's as good as Kelly could offer even after spending entire off seasons in the role. Smith has been injured all off season, only started playing a few weeks ago and probably had 1 to 2 training runs in the position.

He did fine considering the circumstances.
Kelly was a better defender than Smith though, and would have contributed to our kicking game.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Great game from our pack, really the first time in a good while I've seen us get numbers into the tackle early and decisively dominate the ruck.

hindy111

Post Whore
I didn't pass judgement either way tbh, just making a comment about his defence in general.

But for the sake of discussion, I think Taka is a worse defender but offers more in attack than Auva'a

Different style of attack.
Auvua runs straight and hard while taka is more elusive and sideways. With good ball players i like centres who can just run a straight line with power.
Taka is a better tackler i think his reading of game isnt great. Auvua seems to miss tackles he reads correctly.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can a ta also count as a lba.
If a nice pass creates a line break and thst player scores do you get one of each?
Get to it pou you statmaster

Gronk

Staff member
Great game from our pack, really the first time in a good while I've seen us get numbers into the tackle early and decisively dominate the ruck.

Agree, everything came together last night. As much as they were down in cattle, they still had a bunch of origin types there who we managed to keep quiet.

Everyone played well but we still have a heap of upside.

Will Smith surprised me. Solid player. Did good.

oldmancraigy

Coach
At the expensive of losing all the hard work that Hoffman does out of dummy half? We might find ourselves needing a left winger by weeks end though.

No brainer if no Semi.
But if he is available, Hoff misses out.

Auva'a is a better early set meterage guy. Hoff is far from elite in that category.....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Very good effort last night, Forwards again very dominant. Brown what a player he has turned out to be for us.

Kaysa playing his second very good game in a row, the merkin is in the kitchen getting ready to cook me up an omelette. 5 from 9 and with 6 away games puts us in a pretty good spot to make the 8 from here.

Add French, Moses and Evans to this lot and it's a very competitive side. Anyone else reckon Scott off the bench has been a masterstroke????

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Very good effort last night, Forwards again very dominant. Brown what a player he has turned out to be for us.

Kaysa playing his second very good game in a row, the merkin is in the kitchen getting ready to cook up an omelette. 5 from 9 and with 6 away games puts us in a pretty good spot to make the 8 from here.

Add French, Moses and Evans to this lot and it's a very competitive side. Anyone else reckon Scott off the bench has been a masterstroke????

I agree re Scott. We've started slow prior to last week. Him off the bench imo has helped us out of the blocks the past two weeks.

Gronk

Staff member

Kaysa playing his second very good game in a row, the merkin is in the kitchen getting ready to cook up an omelette. 5 from 9 and with 6 away games puts us in a pretty good spot to make the 8 from here.

Actually I have been thinking that Scott has been solid and tightens up the ruck whilst Timmy is off BUT I reckon he is dropping off. Might need to be his last year methinks.

Last edited:

EelsFan05

Bench

Brown just keeps impressing. He is what we wanted with Watmough at half the price and younger. He has leadership written all over him.

Scott off the bench helps tighten up the defense in the last 10-15 minute period of the half. Good move.