RU in Australia on “life support”

Discussion in 'Rugby Union' started by DC80, Apr 28, 2018.

  1. Te Kaha

    Te Kaha Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Messages:
    4,383
    Likes Received:
    28
    You are never going to be able to pay for it. It would have worked in amateur days.But those days are long passed. You need to evolve or die. starting again is as good as giving up.
     
  2. Timbo

    Timbo Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2004
    Messages:
    17,991
    Likes Received:
    994
    Honestly, it depends how it's run.

    Rugby's biggest strength in Australia is it's entire fan base are upper-middle and high earners. You see it in it's sponsorship - it's not Toyota, Workers Comp Law and VB, it's Volvo, HSBC and Wolf Blass.

    A smaller viewing audience for union has the same earning power as a larger one for league. It's sponsorship revenue reflects it. I've also heard people from the NSWRU and ARU speak in the past, and they have point blank said that one of the reasons they don't haggle with commercial networks to get the game on FTA is because 90% of union fans have pay tv anyway.

    We're not talking about large stadiums and 20k crowds, we're talking about turning 20 semi-pro club sides that currently draw 4k on a Saturday arvo into 10 professional ones that draw 8k. I think this is where it needs to start in anycase.
     
    axl rose and RoosTah like this.
  3. Te Kaha

    Te Kaha Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Messages:
    4,383
    Likes Received:
    28
    You're assuming there will be any sponsorship. If it wont be televised what's in it for them? Good luck with that but there are plenty of examples of this failing badly and not many of it succeeding in this day and age. It would be a shame if Australia pulls out of Saanzar but we can hope the Bledisloe will be competed for again one day.
     
  4. Timbo

    Timbo Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2004
    Messages:
    17,991
    Likes Received:
    994
    Pulls out of SAANZAR? That's never been on the table?

    Something like 90 cents in every dollar for SAANZAR's TV deal is for internationals. The Super Rugby rights make up a tiny portion of it.

    Australia would definitely look to remain in the Rugby Championship in the model RoosTah and I are advocating. And if it's a system that could provide a stronger Wallabies side over time, you'd think the other three teams would be on board too.
     
  5. Te Kaha

    Te Kaha Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Messages:
    4,383
    Likes Received:
    28
    From memory that 90% figure isn't correct. My understanding was that Super Rugby and Internationals made up the "90%" and other domestic comps e.g. Currie cup, Mitre 10 Cup made up the other 10%. That was until the completely domestic portion was removed form the package.

    There is no way that NZR will support RA pulling out of Super Rugby and staying in the Rugby Championship. Why would they? It's to their detriment to do so. Super Rugby has made NZ Rugby stronger and while it needs to change, destroying it is not the answer. NZR has maintained that RA needs to sort their shit out without undermining the other Saanzar partners. And put simply NZR does not trust RA. After the backstabbing Job that RA did on NZ in the lead up to the 2011 WC vote the relationship has just gone downhill.

    Added to this, you proposed comp will be third rate with the best players playing offshore. Its not going to help the Wallabies get any better for years... if ever.
     
  6. Teddyboy

    Teddyboy First Grade

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    6,464
    Likes Received:
    103
    Have Junior and Subbies Rugby played on a Friday evening/Saturday morning/lunchtime and get those players to the grounds in the Shute Shield etc.
     

Share This Page